2016 Acura RDX Gas Mileage

Old 09-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 Acura RDX Gas Mileage

So got my Acura and not bad for gas mileage. I'm getting pretty much advertised. I'm getting 9.5 on average per 100. That's about 24.5 MPG. 8.1 or 29 for the highway going about 120 km/h. Anyone in the same boat or better? I'm not really watching it but 600km per 60 litre tank is not bad.

I'm on regular fuel, didn't see a jump when I went to premium. Please share your stories.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
My '15 RDX AWD has about 4500 miles on it now. The trip "B" hasn't been reset since new, and is showing a lifetime average mpg of 23.8 for all driving I've done (starting in March this year). Driving highway I can easily get to 30 mpg, and mixed in-town and rural driving I typically get 24.5 mpg. A recent trip to the NH seacoast with 1/2 highway, 1/2 roads of 45mph or so, and then 20 minutes stuck in a traffic jam, the mpg was 26.8.

Can't complain!!

andy
Old 09-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Acura advertised the car as getting 20 mpg City, and 29 mpg Hiway (FWD). I've only got about 1100 miles on mine, but have not found those claims to be accurate. I've been getting 24 mpg City/mixed, and 30 to 36 on the hiway. It's possible to keep it going on three cylinders, as long as there's not a grade.

I am more than pleased with the efficiency of this car.

Where those damn Honda guys get you, though, is with the VTEC. It's hard to drive extremely conservatively with this car. The one thing that makes up for this dilemma, is the outstanding torque at low RPMs. You don't (really) have to put your foot in it to make it go.

Best drive train I've owned in 50 years of driving. Put me in the "Satisfied Customer" column.

Last edited by Desert Ridge; 09-07-2015 at 03:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stanuwmad (03-21-2016)
Old 09-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by andysinnh
My '15 RDX AWD has about 4500 miles on it now. The trip "B" hasn't been reset since new, and is showing a lifetime average mpg of 23.8 for all driving I've done (starting in March this year). andy
Exactly 3 mpg better than my lifetime average on the 08 turbo. Nice!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Through about 1300 miles I'm averaging over 28 mpg (calculated) on my 2016 FWD RDX which has surprised and impressed me. I was hoping the RDX would get decent economy but this is quite a bit better than I expected. I could see getting over 30 mpg pretty easily on a trip if you keep the speeds reasonable. FWIW, the computer displayed fuel economy has been anywhere between 1-1.5 mpg optimistic. My computer displayed average speeds have been running 35-40 mph.

Admittedly, my situation lends itself to getting good fuel economy. A 12 mile commute were all but the first and last mile is on 65 mph freeway that is seldom jammed up at the hours I drive. The around town driving I do is mostly straight, flat suburban streets with 45 mph speed limits and lights every mile or half mile. And I tend to stick pretty close to the speed limit since the older I get the less of a hurry I'm in. Plus, it so flat around here it is pretty easy to keep it running on 3 cylinders much of the time.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
My '14 is showing 25.1 overall mpg from day one, 2 years and 25K miles ago. Mix of local and highway driving, mostly using ethanol free gas whenever I can find it. Use it in all my vehicles.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jim7707
FWIW, the computer displayed fuel economy has been anywhere between 1-1.5 mpg optimistic.
This seems pretty universal.

Calculating on fill-ups is best, but a little deflating after seeing the display number. I can get it to read about 27 on a flat, conservative highway trip, only to calculate about 25-ish at fill-up.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaputnik
This seems pretty universal.

Calculating on fill-ups is best, but a little deflating after seeing the display number. I can get it to read about 27 on a flat, conservative highway trip, only to calculate about 25-ish at fill-up.
Be careful the filling station at the pump might be out of calibration. Nevertheless, that is the method I used to calculate gas mileage.

I am getting about 9.X to 10.X L/100km.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Intermediate

Thanks guys. Mine is AWD which is standard in Canada. Any difference from premium fuel vs regular for mpg? I'm so far impressed with my real world mileage.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by badboymn
Thanks guys. Mine is AWD which is standard in Canada. Any difference from premium fuel vs regular for mpg? I'm so far impressed with my real world mileage.
That's my next project. However, it will not be easy to "validate" the data.

First of all, you have to fill up (empty to full) for at least 4times to get defendable data. By filling from empty to full, you can get minimum mixing of gas with different octanes. The risk is that winter is coming. Running the car on empty is very dangerous in the winter. In addition, changes in weather will have an impact on fuel economy thus can skew your results.

Second: You have to drive the same kind of road every time. In other words, you have to drive the same kind of roads on all 4 tanks of gas (e.g., 50:50 mix highway:city). If you drive all highway when you are running 87 and drive all city when you are running 91, then your data might be messed up.

Last but not least, the quality of gas. One will have to stick with the same brand of gas. That might mean you might to pay a few bucks more for this particular brand of gas.

My gut feeling is that one will get better fuel economy and more responsive engine if you fill the car up with 91; however, most (if not all) people might not notice any difference unless you are constantly doing jack rabbit starts or high rpm acceleration. The above are merely assumption without any hard data to back it up.

If anyone has done similar tests and have reasonable and defendable results , please chime in.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RSX_Takashi
That's my next project. However, it will not be easy to "validate" the data.

First of all, you have to fill up (empty to full) for at least 4times to get defendable data. By filling from empty to full, you can get minimum mixing of gas with different octanes. The risk is that winter is coming. Running the car on empty is very dangerous in the winter. In addition, changes in weather will have an impact on fuel economy thus can skew your results.

Second: You have to drive the same kind of road every time. In other words, you have to drive the same kind of roads on all 4 tanks of gas (e.g., 50:50 mix highway:city). If you drive all highway when you are running 87 and drive all city when you are running 91, then your data might be messed up.

Last but not least, the quality of gas. One will have to stick with the same brand of gas. That might mean you might to pay a few bucks more for this particular brand of gas.

My gut feeling is that one will get better fuel economy and more responsive engine if you fill the car up with 91; however, most (if not all) people might not notice any difference unless you are constantly doing jack rabbit starts or high rpm acceleration. The above are merely assumption without any hard data to back it up.

If anyone has done similar tests and have reasonable and defendable results , please chime in.
That might be true but I'm getting mileage as advertised or better. I'm not too concerned about the power for everyday driving. The car has more than enough.

Real world driving mileage above indicates we are all pretty calibrated. Anyone have a new CRV? I'm hearing that it's mileage is not better real world against the RDX. My thoughts are because the 4 cal is screaming where the Acuras V6 is purring.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:23 AM
10th Gear

Question with '16 RDX AcuraLink App. I have an iphone and everything is loaded. It never makes the connection to the car. I spoke to tech support at length and the issue is not resolved. I have removed & reloaded app and still not able use this app. Has anyone experienced issues of this nature?
Old 09-11-2015, 07:48 AM
Instructor

That might be true but I'm getting mileage as advertised or better. I'm not too concerned about the power for everyday driving. The car has more than enough.

Real world driving mileage above indicates we are all pretty calibrated. Anyone have a new CRV? I'm hearing that it's mileage is not better real world against the RDX. My thoughts are because the 4 cal is screaming where the Acuras V6 is purring.
Keep in mind that the advertised gas mileage on the brochure might be the "worst case scenario". In other words, you might be rewarding yourself a minute too soon.

A naturally aspirated I4 cylinder engines will always have an edge against 6 cylinder (V6 or I6) engines if fuel economy is a super high priority. If the driver wants 6 cylinder performance in a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder, it is understandable that the fuel economy will suffer due to the fact that the engine has to work harder to provide performance output of a 6 cylinder engine. If you constantly have to push the I4 to 4000 - 5000 rpm to accelerate whereas a I6 or a V6 can do the same thing at 3500 to 4000 rpm, then you will remove all the benefits of the I4 engine.

A 6 cylinder engine will also be a bit heaver and more complicated than the 4 cylinder engines. The extra weight from the additional cylinders and related parts will lead to a slight drop in fuel economy simply because there is more parts for the car to carry around.

Last but not least, there is the transmission which I won't go into details.

As you can see, there are many factors to look at when it comes to fuel economy.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:52 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
We had a 2010 6 cyl venza with epa of 19/26. We averaged about 23 mpg. We just went over 1,000 miles on the RDX and we are averaging 19.8 mpgs (calculator, not the RDX computer). While driving on the interstate yesterday at 65 mph (the limit going through the city) I toggled through to see the instant mileage - it was about 25 mpg. Same two drivers as the Toyota over the same roads. The mileage is rather disappointing, but we are hoping that it gets better over time.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
My 2016 Advance AWD came with 2 miles on the odometer. Did my first fuel up after only 259 miles and 11-mile range remaining:

Fueled up with 93 octane fuel at a BP gas station. 259 miles driven on 14.531 gallons of gas, so that equals 17.8 MPG. Sort of a disappointment. One contributing factor for the poor MPG could be the fact that a really old guy was explaining the features on the RDX at the dealership while the engine was on and idling. He seemed to be enjoying sharing his vast knowledge. I didn't have the heart to stop him. It was only after about 30 minutes of non-stop talking that the salesperson interrupted the RDX introduction so that I could go to the finance department to close the deal:

Vehicle showing 18.2 MPG which isn't too far off from my calculation:

336-mile range showing after topping off with 93 octane fuel:
Old 10-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Your mileage and miles per tank are about the same as mine. Maybe a little worse. I use only 93 octane. We filled up yesterday morning (at the on ramp to I-95) and all our miles were highway. Visited a friend who lives less than 1 mile from interstate. Returned home (we live a few miles from interstate). We drove 287 miles and when I filled up this morning it took 14.2 gallons. When I filled up it told me I had 313 miles on the next tank. Thus we drove 72 mph (using cruise control) and got 20.2 mpg on the highway and a full tank (16 gallons) can expect to go 313 miles (or 19.5 mpg). Overall disappointing. It even makes me wonder if I shouldn't go ahead and use 87 octane. (87 octane is $2.17/gallon 93 octane is $2.63/gallon) My younger brother has a hemi challenger that uses 87 octane and gets 26 mpg on the highway!

Using a rough calculation (non-scientific), I paid 20 percent more per gallon for 93 octane. If I reduce my mileage by 20 percent I would be getting equivalent of 15.6 mpg! Somewhat ridiculous.

Last edited by snorf; 10-07-2015 at 08:38 PM.
yesrdx (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by snorf
Your mileage and miles per tank are about the same as mine. Maybe a little worse. I use only 93 octane. We filled up yesterday morning (at the on ramp to I-95) and all our miles were highway. Visited a friend who lives less than 1 mile from interstate. Returned home (we live a few miles from interstate). We drove 287 miles and when I filled up this morning it took 14.2 gallons. When I filled up it told me I had 313 miles on the next tank. Thus we drove 72 mph (using cruise control) and got 20.2 mpg on the highway and a full tank (16 gallons) can expect to go 313 miles (or 19.5 mpg). Overall disappointing. It even makes me wonder if I shouldn't go ahead and use 87 octane. (87 octane is $2.17/gallon 93 octane is $2.63/gallon) My younger brother has a hemi challenger that uses 87 octane and gets 26 mpg on the highway!
I guess I should mention I did about 95% city driving (morning/afternoon suburb rush hour + traffic lights) and 5% highway cruising.

If the sub-par MPG continues, I may try switching to 87 octane to see if there's any difference in gas consumption. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
I'm getting from 9.5 to 10.5 L / 100 km. Got below 9 L / 100 km with lots of highway driving the other day.

Why are you using regular fuel? You should be using 91 Octane with no ethanol added. Regular fuel is only 87 Octane and contains damaging ethanol.

So got my Acura and not bad for gas mileage. I'm getting pretty much advertised. I'm getting 9.5 on average per 100. That's about 24.5 MPG. 8.1 or 29 for the highway going about 120 km/h. Anyone in the same boat or better? I'm not really watching it but 600km per 60 litre tank is not bad.

I'm on regular fuel, didn't see a jump when I went to premium. Please share your stories.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:38 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by snorf
We drove 287 miles and when I filled up this morning it took 14.2 gallons. When I filled up it told me I had 313 miles on the next tank. Thus we drove 72 mph (using cruise control) and got 20.2 mpg on the highway and a full tank (16 gallons) can expect to go 313 miles (or 19.5 mpg). Overall disappointing.
That's disappointing to me too as a potential buyer. I'm looking to replace a 2004 Toyota Highlander V6 which, with an EPA rating of 16/22, averages from 20.5 to 22 on our annual trip to Florida (1200 miles each way.) My wife loves the car but would consider something newer for better mileage. Have tried the CRV and am not ready to move down to 4 cylinders yet. There seems to be a wide range of highway mileage as reported in this thread.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Instructor

2nd fuel up. Drove 293 miles with 21.1 mpg indicated. Based on my calculations (14.5 gallons fueled up), it's closer to 20.2 mpg. I'd say about 30 percent of the miles driven were on the highway.

Went with QuikTrip 93 octane gas this time. Will see if there's any difference.

2016 Acura RDX Gas Mileage-so4f5ew.jpg
Old 10-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by yesrdx
2nd fuel up. Drove 293 miles with 21.1 mpg indicated. Based on my calculations (14.5 gallons fueled up), it's closer to 20.2 mpg. I'd say about 30 percent of the miles driven were on the highway.

Went with QuikTrip 93 octane gas this time. Will see if there's any difference.

I suspect that's an unbroken-in engine, and it will go up in time.

My 2008 Turbo RDX, notorious for supposedly bad mileage, is at 20.3 mpg over the 4000 miles I've owned it.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
I suspect that's an unbroken-in engine, and it will go up in time.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that's what it is. I've always heard Hondas are generally conservative when it comes to city/highway MPGs but I may have misheard. In the meantime, I'm keeping a detailed record and comparing between different gas stations.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I've recently had 6 different Honda/Acura vehicles. And each one has been about the same. Up around 5-7k miles the mpg seems to get better. On avg I'd say there is about a 2mpg improvement. It seems to be especially noticeable on hwy driving.

I'm not a hypermiler kind of guy but there are several things you can do to greatly improve mpgs. 1. Coast down instead of braking. When ever possible I try to turn my cruise off and just let the car coast down to <30mph before I touch the brake. 2. maximum speed in a large vehicle has a significant impact. 3. Turn AC off. 4. When accelerating from a dead stop don't let your foot off the brake and then hit the gas. Instead let your foot off the brake, let the car roll 2ft then roll into the throttle easily.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr_MDX
I'm not a hypermiler kind of guy but there are several things you can do to greatly improve mpgs. 1. Coast down instead of braking.
Considering the new condition of the vehicle, I've been trying to do this as much as possible and noticed that the car will engine brake/lower gears on its own. I could see where people who's never driven a manual transmission before could complain about this, but I thought it was pretty cool. Not sure what the implements are for MPG though.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
I continue to be quite pleased with the mileage on m 2016.

28.9 mpg calculated through about 2200 miles. I'll be taking a trip next week which will be around 900 miles of strictly highway driving so I expect the average will rise a bit after the trip.
yesrdx (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
I have been recording the fuel economy of my 2016 RDX since purchasing it at the end of June 2015. I record both what the trip computer reported, as well as what I calculated based on the actual amount of gas pumped.

After 19 fillups, the average consumption based on the trip computer is 10.6 L/100km (22.19 MPG) and the average based on gas pumped is 10.8 L/100km (21.78 MPG). That is within 1.8%. My driving is probably 85% city driving with rapid acceleration, and I am actually quite happy with these results. The best I obtained was 27 MPG on a highway trip.

I have come to the conclusion that the mileage reported by the trip computer is very accurate, while the calculated mileage is not totally correct because I always top off the tank by whatever it takes to get to the nearest full dollar, which doesn't necessarily fill the tank to the same amount it was at the previous fillup.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jim7707
I continue to be quite pleased with the mileage on m 2016.

28.9 mpg calculated through about 2200 miles. I'll be taking a trip next week which will be around 900 miles of strictly highway driving so I expect the average will rise a bit after the trip.
That's reassuring. Also, I signed up on fuelly and added to my sig as well. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2015, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Third fuel up today. Slowing creeping higher. Hope I can average about 24mpg with 80% city driving.

2016 Acura RDX Gas Mileage-uqd1wit.jpg
Old 10-24-2015, 10:33 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Third fuel up today. Slowing creeping higher. Hope I can average about 24mpg with 80% city driving.

How do you get to this screen?
Sorry, just trade in 2015 for 2016 white awd with advance package today and didn't have much time to play with all settings yet.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by guytdt
How do you get to this screen?
Sorry, just trade in 2015 for 2016 white awd with advance package today and didn't have much time to play with all settings yet.
1. click on "info" button
2. click on "trip computer" on navigation screen
3. tab over to previous drives

Old 10-25-2015, 07:16 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
1. click on "info" button
2. click on "trip computer" on navigation screen
3. tab over to previous drives
It should also be noted that this display shows the distance and fuel economy since the "Trip A" odometer has been last reset. To make this display show the fuel economy for each tank of gas, you need to go into vehicle settings and program the "Trip A" odometer to reset automatically with each refueling. Optionally you could just manually reset "Trip A" after refueling.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Her 14 AWD RDX was getting around 22-23MPG over 29K miles in mostly commute driving, very respectable. Her new 16 AWD RDX is too new to determine yet, but will probably do about the same once it breaks in a little more.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Desert Ridge
Acura advertised the car as getting 20 mpg City, and 29 mpg Hiway (FWD). I've only got about 1100 miles on mine, but have not found those claims to be accurate. I've been getting 24 mpg City/mixed, and 30 to 36 on the hiway. It's possible to keep it going on three cylinders, as long as there's not a grade.
I wish I could see these kind of numbers, but I guess it's all relative to driving and road conditions. I also have the AWD drivetrain.

There's lots of rolling hills in the metro Atlanta suburbs. Plus the morning commute really sucks. I drive about 16 miles one way to work and takes about an hour. Lots of bumper-to-bumper, stop-and-go traffic. I'm averaging about 19.6 MPG after about 1,300 miles on the odometer. This is with approximately 80~90 percent "city" driving.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No complaints here...

My '16 RDX only has 1200 miles so far. According to the trip computer, around town I'm getting 18-19 MPG. I did do one roadie and got around 30 MPG, again on the computer. With past vehicles, I've usually found the reported computer mileage higher than doing it the old fashion way (miles/gallons). I did have a '99 Pontiac that was almost exactly right. Most of them seem to be 1-3 MPG higher than the old fashion way.

I should note that I'm not a lead foot driver. I believe in coasting up to stop signs instead of powering up and then hitting the brakes hard when coming to a stop sign.

So far I've only put premium in the RDX as I do with all my present and past vehicles that recommend it. Up where I live, the cheapest regular is $2.05 and premium is $2.25 or 20 cents more. IF I were to put in 15 gallons (which I've never done so far), it would be $3.00 extra for premium or less than a Starbucks coffee.

If I were to drive 15,000 a year (which I'm well under) and I only got 19MPG, the 20 cent difference would only amount to $167 a year. Actually it doesn't matter what the cost of gas is if the difference is 20 cents a gallon. In this case, it's about slightly less than 10% more. I guess if you're a real high mileage driver, it could add up to some real change.

Seems a bit silly to me to be concern about 20 cents per gallon while driving a 40K-45K vehicle.

For you regular gas guys, do you get ANY pinging?
Old 10-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine is less than one week, but I got 30+ for 40 miles highway and 22+ for city/highway. Guess it's still early to say?
One thing I like is now you can set either trip A or B to auto reset when fuel or when engine shuts down, new compare to 2015.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
the 2014 I had for a few weeks got close to 29 in mixed driving. the V6 in the RDX I more than able to accelerate at a reasonable pace while keeping the tack at 2K
Old 11-23-2015, 10:20 PM
Instructor

How do you define highway speed? Are we talking about cruising at the 55mph speed limit?

I just came back from vacation and I was averaging about 25MPG going 80mph. It was closer to 30MPG when I was only cruising at about 65mph.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:52 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Hwy speeds would be 45+ mph. Average speed though is high dependent.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
How do you define highway speed? Are we talking about cruising at the 55mph speed limit?

I just came back from vacation and I was averaging about 25MPG going 80mph. It was closer to 30MPG when I was only cruising at about 65mph.
65-70mph here
Old 02-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Just got over 1000mi mark on 16RDX and averaging 15mpg. This is awful. Will this improve over time. 16 gal gas tank way to small. The # reported here seem like a fantasy...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Acura RDX Gas Mileage