2014 Tech-fog lights.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 08:40 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2014 Tech-fog lights.

Would anyone happen to know why Acura decided it was a good idea to make the fog lights pointless and useless, since you can't turn them on unless the headlights are on?
I was very disappointed to discover this tonight in whiteout conditions...at night...I turned my headlights off (daytime running lights and hazard flashers on) and then I could actually see where I was going thanks to the dim highway lighting, then figured the fogs might help....well, nope! No fog lights for you, Mister.....

Fog lights are supposed to be used INSTEAD of headlights in fog or whiteout snow conditions, in case anyone doesn't know that.....I can't believe they committed such a stupid engineering faux pas.....wow!

Last edited by Skidoor; 12-15-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
I've wondered that, too. I think a good percentage of people have lost their focus and just think they look cool rather than using them functionally. You'd think Acura would know better, though.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:03 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Most cars I have owned with fog lights are set up that way. No headlights, no fog lights. You could likely make some wiring changes to do what you want though.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:23 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
"I can't believe they committed such a stupid engineering faux pas.....wow!"

There must be a logical explanation. As far as I know they are all set up that way.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:22 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
My guess is that it's a safety (or stupidity-prevention) thing, what else could it be?.... they don't want people driving around with fog lights on and headlights off when its not foggy....just another very annoying example of theoretical what-ifs trumping (in many cases) common sense.
Because common sense in the consumer is sometimes lacking. And sorry that I used the word Trumping.

Oh, by the way, my 2005 Murano was wired to have the fog lights ON 100% of the time, they acted as the daytime running lights, the main headlamps were completely OFF during the day....another oddity.....I saw other Muranos around the same model year (give or take a few years) that did not do this.

Have they mandated daytime running lights in the US yet? Just curious.....