2012 Rav4 V6 FWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 11:01 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Rav4 V6 FWD

2012 Rav4 V6 FWD is what we have and love the V6 .
Now I wnat 4WD and sunroof but Rav4 no loner have V6 in them
, so ,
I am looking at the RDX but , man , that's a lot more money to pay for the RDX just for a V6 and sunroof .

The Rav4 V6 4WD is about the same as the 2016 RDX , the 2 cars seem the same even though they are thousands apart in price .

Well , I am really looking at used 2012 Rav4 V6 4Wd .

Why should I buy a new RDX , why is it better
Thanks

Willard
Old 07-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Personally, I think Toyota made a mistake when they dropped the V6 from the Rav4's option sheet. I'm sure it was done to protect the NX, and to push people toward the Lexus brand if they want more power. In that respect it was probably effective, but clearly they alienated a few of their customers.

If you are satisfied with the refinement level of the previous generation Rav4, and it sounds like you are, I suggest you find yourself a nice pre-owned V6 Rav4 with the options you desire. If you can't convince yourself the RDX is worth the extra money, I'm doubtful any of us will be able to, either. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:21 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
The trend in Compact CUVs are NA 4's and Turbo 4's. Since your question is very subjective, only you can make that decision. Go test drive a new and/or pre-owned RDX make your own decision.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:47 AM
9th Gear

I have already located many 2012 Rav4 v6 4wd sunroof with about 20K and less for about 24K , some less .

The Rav4 and new RDX are different in what way that would make the new RDX more desirable ??????????????

The RDX would be a minimum of $35K before taxes

Thx for answering
Old 07-20-2015, 10:26 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I had looked at the 2014 RAV 4 before purchasing the RDX.
For me the RDX was simply more refined, spacious and comfortable.
The RAV 4 was well built but felt a bit utilitarian (it had the 4 pot engine). The Navi screen was small and was practically useless when sun shined on it. The screen in RDX is nicely recessed and protected. It has memory presets for seats and mirrors (which is a biggie for me since two of us regularly change driver position). It has an awesome ELS audio which blows away pretty much every other car audio I had owned. Other nice luxury touches which I find useful include the remote window lowering function, auto headlights, electrical boot opening and closing, etc. I can't remember how much of these functions were available in the RAV 4 (probably most of them were present). But the biggest factor was that the RDX felt more comfy, smooth, powerful and luxurious inside compared to RAV 4. It is a very subjective decision and therefore if you are used to the ride of RAV 4, then you'll find it more enjoyable to stick with it. Good luck with your car purchase.

Last edited by Comfy; 07-20-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
If you're jumping from a RAV4 to an RDX simply because of a V6 and a sunroof, then you're not looking at the right jump. There are other small SUV's w/v6 motors out there by other manufacturers that are lower cost that are more directly comparative to a RAV4 (Chevy Equinox is one example). But your Honda comparison for the RAV4 is really the CR-V - but you lose the V6. Most of what the RDX offers might be intangibles if you limit the comparison to a V6 and a sunroof. Others have called out lots of refinement features - plus things like LED headlights - that the RAV4 doesn't offer. So the net-net is you have to determine what your bottom line features are and see what's available out in the market - and price range is one of the bottom line items....

Just my $.02

andy
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (07-20-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 04:51 AM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
How about a used 2013 RDX?, 2016 hasn't changed enough to justify new.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:35 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good idea above to go with a previously owned RDX. After all you're comparing price to previously owned RAV4 V6.

My previous ride was a RAV4 V6, so here goes my take...
Power in the RAV4 V6 is awesome, to some extent too much (did I really say that?) for the tires. It is easy to spin the wheels at almost any speed when you jump on the throttle. Exciting yes, but RDX has the power just more refined.

Ride is more comfortable in the RDX, except for the way it takes big bumps. May be corrected in the 2016? RAV4 has been a long haul vehicle for me but RDX takes you there with less fatigue.

Sound system was actually better in my RAV4. Not that ELS is that bad, just doesn't rock as much!

Useful storage in RAV4 is better with folding flat seats. RDX still carries a lot just not as easy or as much.

Fuel economy about the same. RDX has more bells/whistles with Navigation, but it is a little clunky to use.

Have not regretted the trade up to RDX. Suggest looking at a used RDX second generation for the above reasons. Hope that helped!
Willard (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 09:50 AM
9th Gear

Thanks emsrph

You make a good argument for not spending soooo much more money for a RDX , while I can easily afford a new RDX , still , it's difficult spending that much more when I already have something very similar .

No doubt the RDX is better , it's how much better for a lot more money.

There's always the FX35/QX70/QX50 and the Macan for a boatload more $ , now , that would be a fun car to drive around
Old 07-21-2015, 09:59 AM
9th Gear

But then again , would not be surprised if I drive one home this weekend from Scottsdale Az
Old 07-21-2015, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Willard
Thanks emsrphThere's always the FX35/QX70/QX50 and the Macan for a boatload more $ , now , that would be a fun car to drive around
I never cared for the styling of the FX/QX70 myself, so I never had a reason to drive one. But the QX50 is seriously underrated. It is small, of course, which is the biggest criticism, but it's plenty powerful (325 HP) and quite fun to drive. The 2016 model will be longer with a stretched wheelbase to partially address the size problem. Unfortunately, the styling is little changed, and at a glance it looks like the old one.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:10 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Wait a minute. The OP is considering buying a used RAV 4 but is also considering new Porsche, Infiniti, Acura etc. I do agree that buying a car is something like a roller coaster ride with different cars occupying the pole position at different times. But these cars are nowhere in the same class or price point. Well, the vagaries of car buying .
I'm guessing the OP will surprise us by driving home in a brand new MB S class AMG or Tesla model S and call it a day. Thank you for the chuckle.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:23 PM
9th Gear

Hey Comfy
Like everyone else , I have been wasting many many hours researching SUVs , like the RDX and Fx35 .
So , they all kind of run together , why the RDX , price !

Tesla , I can afford one , if I gave up going the the club to work out ,
Old 07-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Willard, you've joined the Acura board and would like to be "sold" on the idea of the RDX. I get it. Obviously this is a subjective decision on your part.

The best thing we can do is let you know why we chose Acura and you can absorb what you will.

I've owned all sorts of makes (my sig shows some since 2003) and there were many more prior. Bottom line for me: Acura strikes the best balance of luxury, dependability, and value.

Our MDX has 146,000 miles and although we can afford it, we don't want to get rid of it. Easily the best car we've ever owned. Now we're looking at replacing my Veloster commuter with a 2016 RDX or MDX.

There are many factors that come into play when choosing a car, you just need to decide which ones you value the most.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:17 PM
9th Gear

Type34
I figured before long I may bother someone in my questioning of the RDX and why .

I am not saying I have done so and surely do not intend on doing so

I have been leaning a little more toward the RDX for several months , and toward the FX35/audiQ5/ and others .

Oh well ,
Old 07-21-2015, 08:59 PM
9th Gear

I am now looking at pre owned Rx 350

However , the RDX is still at the top of our list and that is probably what we will dirve home , I think
Old 07-21-2015, 10:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Willard (and all...)

You will have to both excuse my post...I'm new to pretty much everything Acura, including this forum. However, I can kind of understand why you are all over the place because I, pretty much, was the same way. In fact, I had my heart set on a Ford Edge/Explorer. But because I'm an options junkie, I upgraded my selection to Lincoln (specifically an MKX). Then I went back to the Ford Edge, and test drove an Edge Sport. The sales guy (nice guy) almost performed the Jedi mind trick, and then his sales manager almost promised...well let's just say she wanted to close the deal. I was having none of that. I just couldn't justify spending that much on a Ford, ultimately.

Anyway, like you Willard, I too was having problems going back and forth. My criteria was pretty much a nice AWD crossover that wasn't overbearing but could handle itself in inclement weather (at least better than my 2007 Saturn Ion-3 coupe...which did not survive a patch of black ice that pretty much had my rear destroyed to the point that I have to get a new vehicle. Car still runs well, but it is time for that new ride.)

So after reading one of those car review sites, it was suggested that maybe I check out an RDX (Rav 4s and CR-Vs are cars for soccer moms. The RDX is based on the CR-V, but it is definitely its own car with its own hotness.) My budget was 42k, tops. When I saw the RDX had all the features I wanted (the 2015) at the price-point I was looking for, I had to find what the catch was. Personally, I saw none. The 2015 RDX fully loaded was under $40k (this is out the door, btw.) What was even sicker was that the dealership by my house had both interior and exterior colors I wanted (Forged Silver with Ebony.) PLUS the Technology package. I work in IT, so I don't really care for "user friendly"...as long as I can make it work (and if I play around long enough, I can... ) When I test drove this thing on I-270, people just got the ---- out of my way. Cruising at 80 mph felt like cruising at 50. Road bumps? You hardly feel them if you're not driving like you're being chased by cops.

For me, even if the RDX was exactly like a Rav 4, I would choose the RDX over that all day every day. I never envisioned owning anything Honda made, but LED lights, memory seats, Bluetooth, AWD, V6 engine....yeah, I'm very happy to have the 2015 Acura RDX Tech Package as my first luxury vehicle. I'm just waiting for my money to come in and I'll be walking in with a cashier's check and out with my car (I put a deposit down on it...I'm excited and I made sure the deposit was refundable.)

Lastly, reason I joined this board is so that I can communicate with other owners and get ideas on how to take care of my new ride. I owned my Saturn for 8 years and while it took care of me, I knew it was time to get a new ride AND keep this one for another 8+ years. I love that people on the road will respect my vehicle to get out of the way (especially with how D(C)/M(D)/V(A) drivers drive...they make us Jersey and NY drivers seem like the most polite drivers in the Union). So I just wanted to share with you my thought process and hopefully it will help you decide on something you are ultimately happy with.
Comfy (07-23-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 10:42 PM
9th Gear

Okay , you work in IT and probably wrote that as fast as you can talk , impressive .

Hmmm , Ford Edge/Explorer you state , I will now have to look into those , meaning more time on the damn net not .

I owe $14K on my 2012 Rav4 V6 and we do love the car .
It is pretty basic , though and a RDX would spice things up .

Willard
Old 07-22-2015, 12:04 AM
Intermediate

I am probably not as succinct as I should be...it is what it is with that. Still, when I get excited about something, I tend to show it.

The Edge does drive nice but part of the reason why I didn't go with it is that unicorn look doesn't bode well aesthetically with that antenna on the front (as opposed to the back.) You might not care though.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do though...it did drive nice, but with the options I wanted...I just couldn't justify the price.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:07 AM
Intermediate

BTW, one of things that helped me come down to earth was going to my local Barnes and Noble and picking up a Consumer Reports auto guide in the magazine section. Sometimes, I find it easier to look at one source of good information to help narrow down what I am looking for. Going to the profile section in the back of that helped me out. I also got to rule out other vehicles based on other factors (price being one of them.)
Old 07-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is a link that I like to use as part of my research.

Browse All Cars and Trucks | U.S. News Best Cars

It aggregates reviews from many sources into an overall ranking.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:29 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by CG_RDX
Hi Willard (and all...)

You will have to both excuse my post...I'm new to pretty much everything Acura, including this forum. However, I can kind of understand why you are all over the place because I, pretty much, was the same way. In fact, I had my heart set on a Ford Edge/Explorer. But because I'm an options junkie, I upgraded my selection to Lincoln (specifically an MKX). Then I went back to the Ford Edge, and test drove an Edge Sport. The sales guy (nice guy) almost performed the Jedi mind trick, and then his sales manager almost promised...well let's just say she wanted to close the deal. I was having none of that. I just couldn't justify spending that much on a Ford, ultimately.

Anyway, like you Willard, I too was having problems going back and forth. My criteria was pretty much a nice AWD crossover that wasn't overbearing but could handle itself in inclement weather (at least better than my 2007 Saturn Ion-3 coupe...which did not survive a patch of black ice that pretty much had my rear destroyed to the point that I have to get a new vehicle. Car still runs well, but it is time for that new ride.)

So after reading one of those car review sites, it was suggested that maybe I check out an RDX (Rav 4s and CR-Vs are cars for soccer moms. The RDX is based on the CR-V, but it is definitely its own car with its own hotness.) My budget was 42k, tops. When I saw the RDX had all the features I wanted (the 2015) at the price-point I was looking for, I had to find what the catch was. Personally, I saw none. The 2015 RDX fully loaded was under $40k (this is out the door, btw.) What was even sicker was that the dealership by my house had both interior and exterior colors I wanted (Forged Silver with Ebony.) PLUS the Technology package. I work in IT, so I don't really care for "user friendly"...as long as I can make it work (and if I play around long enough, I can... ) When I test drove this thing on I-270, people just got the ---- out of my way. Cruising at 80 mph felt like cruising at 50. Road bumps? You hardly feel them if you're not driving like you're being chased by cops.

For me, even if the RDX was exactly like a Rav 4, I would choose the RDX over that all day every day. I never envisioned owning anything Honda made, but LED lights, memory seats, Bluetooth, AWD, V6 engine....yeah, I'm very happy to have the 2015 Acura RDX Tech Package as my first luxury vehicle. I'm just waiting for my money to come in and I'll be walking in with a cashier's check and out with my car (I put a deposit down on it...I'm excited and I made sure the deposit was refundable.)

Lastly, reason I joined this board is so that I can communicate with other owners and get ideas on how to take care of my new ride. I owned my Saturn for 8 years and while it took care of me, I knew it was time to get a new ride AND keep this one for another 8+ years. I love that people on the road will respect my vehicle to get out of the way (especially with how D(C)/M(D)/V(A) drivers drive...they make us Jersey and NY drivers seem like the most polite drivers in the Union). So I just wanted to share with you my thought process and hopefully it will help you decide on something you are ultimately happy with.
That was an honest and entertaining post. Thank you.
CG_RDX (07-23-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 10:39 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Hmmm , Ford Edge/Explorer you state , I will now have to look into those , meaning more time on the damn net not .
It is pretty basic , though and a RDX would spice things up .
Willard
I agree with this. You should check out all the possible vehicles in your price range. At least it would help if you get any buyers remorse in future. You got to do the groundwork and evaluation yourself.
Even though the RDX was much lower in my initial list, it came out on top at the end. So no regrets for me at all.
Keep us updated on your progress. We will help as much as we can if you have any questions. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:13 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Comfy
Even though the RDX was much lower in my initial list, it came out on top at the end. So no regrets for me at all.
At least it was on your list...the RDX didn't appear on mine at all until I started wondering why the ---- am I (expected to) pay $46k for a Ford Edge Sport? For that, I can get an entry-level luxury car that has a lot of value and at least a little cachet. What cachet would I get owning an expensive Ford?!

In any event, I'm looking forward to my RDX. And as for Willard, I have no doubt that you will get to a decision. It just takes time.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Comfy
At least it was on your list...the RDX didn't appear on mine at all until I started wondering why the ---- am I (expected to) pay $46k for a Ford Edge Sport? For that, I can get an entry-level luxury car that has a lot of value and at least a little cachet. What cachet would I get owning an expensive Ford?!

In any event, I'm looking forward to my RDX. And as for Willard, I have no doubt that you will get to a decision. It just takes time.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CG_RDX
No offense, but one pays $46k for a Ford Edge Sport because they value the driving experience more than a badge. It's fine if you favor the latter -- a lot of people do and there's nothing wrong with that. But somewhere on the Ford forums somebody is probably confessing that they nearly paid $46k for an RDX that is smaller, has fewer features and options, and doesn't offer anywhere near the performance value. They almost gave up all that just to get a badge with cachet.

It's all a matter of perspective my friend.
TNTransplant (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 09:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HotRodW
No offense, but one pays $46k for a Ford Edge Sport because they value the driving experience more than a badge. It's fine if you favor the latter -- a lot of people do and there's nothing wrong with that. But somewhere on the Ford forums somebody is probably confessing that they nearly paid $46k for an RDX that is smaller, has fewer features and options, and doesn't offer anywhere near the performance value. They almost gave up all that just to get a badge with cachet.

It's all a matter of perspective my friend.
I wasn't trying to ---- on anyone who would buy a Ford or any car. Heck if this were 10 years ago (or rather if I were 10 years younger within present day) I probably would get Kia Sorrento. Kia makes a lot of good looking cars, so why not right?

Thing is though, me personally, if I am going to spend near or over 40k, especially in a cash deal, I am going to need and want value for it and, no offense to you, but I was talking for myself, not others. I am not sh'ing on the guy who buys a Sport, I am questioning myself wondering if I should spend less money for good enough features and very good drive handling. Keep in mind too that I drove a Saturn Ion for 8 years. If that isn't being practical, I don't know what to tell you. But I think I owe it to myself to get a badge and very nice performance in my stage in life. Especially when I didn't knock anyone else for their choice in vehicle.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Willard
How do you still owe $14K on a 3 year old car?? I'm guessing it was purchased as a used vehicle within a year or two?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:51 PM
9th Gear

How do you think , I have made payments for 3 years and 3 years left

Originally Posted by yeoyes
How do you still owe $14K on a 3 year old car?? I'm guessing it was purchased as a used vehicle within a year or two?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
How do you think , I have made payments for 3 years and 3 years left
Hopefully you qualified for zero percent financing when you purchased it? 6 years.. ouch.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:44 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Hopefully you qualified for zero percent financing when you purchased it? 6 years.. ouch.
No need for zero...even 1.9 is practically playing with house money if you have other uses for the cash.

Six years in the price range we're looking at is still a significant monthly note. I don't care to hand over $40K in cash to have it sit in the garage.(We've done that more than once on more expensive vehicles.)
Old 07-30-2015, 11:47 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I know you like cash purchases...I don't care to tie up cash that can be more productive elsewhere.

I owe $23.5K on the three year-old RDX...not sure you should be surprised at the amount owed on the RAV.