Very weird symptom

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very weird symptom

Hey all!

I have a very weird situation (based on the fact that I cannot find any info in regards to this online) where my '02 CL-S (automatic trans) shifts in to neutral by itself when in 2nd gear in to 1st when I haven't driven it for a few hours.

For example, when I first drive in the morning it will drive fine until I get to the first stop sign/light. Once there, it will go in to neutral from 2nd gear. Sometimes if wait 10-30seconds it will shift back in to 1st gear itself, otherwise if I can't wait I'll put the car in 1st and it'll go right in to gear then I shift up to D5 and it'll be fine. But, this only happens that one time and then each time it shifts from 2nd to 1st it is fine. Just that first initial time when the car hasn't been driven for several hours is when it happens.

Any ideas?? Thx!
Old 05-28-2014, 10:22 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
Is the car actually going into neutral. Is it displayed in red on the instrument cluster.

If not the car may be just not grabbing in 1 st gear which would feel like it going into neutral but is actually not the case
Old 05-28-2014, 10:26 PM
10th Gear

Sorry, should've been a bit more descriptive. On the dash it still shows it is in D5 when it is in neutral. But, it actually is in neutral since when I press the gas it just revs up even though it is displayed on the dash it is in D5.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Advanced

Fluid level is ok?
Old 05-28-2014, 10:56 PM
10th Gear

Yeah, I am pretty sure the trans fluid is good. I checked it once after running the car for a while then another time while the engine was 'cold' and the level looks like it is perfect.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:24 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Low fluid level will throw codes on the dash,i have experienced that so I know the symptoms. It will also rev up in gear while your excellerating on on the throttle like on the hwy. revs will climb in gear and speed stays the same, very scary lol.

The car does not just shift into neutral. That is the clutches simply not grabbing.

If u have no codes your trans needs to be fixed.. Your clutches are shot. That's what happened to me both times, when it went to shift the revs just flew up and no gear change.

Try going into tiptronic, when u shift. Let off the gas completely. And then feather it into the next gear it should barely grab, that's what mine did. I barely made it to my mechanics house without needing a tow...

If u looked at the acura oem clutches they are pieces of shit. Super cheap material. When I compared them to my levelten kit it was a joke even to my untrained eye. My mechanic was blown away at the quality for just 500 you get everything you need to make that glass trans a real trans. The oem clutches also cannot take heat which is whatour transmission does best. The clutches u get from level ten are made buy a clutch company that specifically focuses on high heat applications so,the heat is not a problem with these clutches. And I added a cooler just to be extra safe.

My last rebuild was 26000 kms. This one is at 105000 kms and now I am towing with it! Trust me it works

Good news I have another person doing the levelten clutches on their acura cls... Being done this week by the same mechanic who did my car.

His trans will be fully rebuilt for under 2 k with the 500 clutch kit.

Finally someone is following in my footsteps. Maybe u should two pal?

I feel sorry for those who swap out the whole transmission just to put a used one in there and go through a bunch of unnecessary work which just costs them even more money.

The ironic thing is I found levelten in acurazine in the transmission section! Why am I the only one who actually read that?

P.s hopefully I am not coming off as an arrogant asshole, I am trying to help my fellow aziners out to save their rides. And I hope this saves you guys money and hassle too

Last edited by CL-S progression 01; 05-29-2014 at 08:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-29-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
My first car was a 1999 3.0 CL, it had the same problem, it would drop into neutral just randomly at lights, then started shifting real hard through gears! Just after that the transmission went out and I had to sell it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that could be whats happening here.

It is a known fact from Acura that the 1G and 2G CL's had these problems with their transmission. That's why the 6 speeds are so sought after, you avoid this known problem.

Hope this helps
Old 08-17-2014, 02:33 PM
7th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW - this was helpful - I just purchased a cherry 1999 CL 3.0 from a one-owner school teacher who followed every scheduled maintenance protocol like she was grading papers. This flawless bluegreen beauty is has only 120K on it and was traded in for a current Honda Civic becasue the now retired teach wanted a built-in GPS - my good! In my reaearch prior to purchasing the only real negative mechanical thing I came across was 'occassional failure of the EGR valve' which overall didn't seem like a huge issue to me. But since plunking down the dough, it seems my research was a bit faulty - now all I manage to find are transmission failure posts. So, I keep reading with a potential problem in mind - but this car is sure a beauty. I just joined the forum so will be around now - I hope to keep this girl looking lovely and behaving like the well-cared for lady she is - then leave her to one of my grandkids.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

For whatever it's worth

Got the timing belt, tensioner, water pump and external belts done on my cAr today by the guy who did my trans and he said the tl with the level ten kit went well the customer also sprung for the level ten tq converter. Another saved transmission in the books lol
Old 08-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
your transmission is toast. rebuild or replace it