New Member 01CLS Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:16 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member 01CLS Build

Hey Everybody,

Hello and welcome to my new(to me) 2001 Acura CL Type S! This is actually my first car, and I've been reading the forums for the past few weeks as I've been in the process of buying the car, and I'm really excited to get started wrenching on it.

First things first, I want to dip/paint the wheels, and I can't decide what color to go with. I'm leaning away from white or black because I think those are rather common, what do you guys think?

Also, I'm a student so I can really only afford budget mods, what are some of the best bang-for-buck things I can do to make the car lighter, handle better, faster, etc.?

Just washed

Dat curb rash tho

Old 04-07-2015, 08:04 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on the ride! I have a red one myself.. and after tinting out my windows I was able to dip my rims in black and it look pretty good until I got my rims on them.

I played around dipping mine black and then white, and the black just look soo much better! Best part about dipping them is it can come off! You just need the time and a little patience
Old 04-07-2015, 02:29 PM
Baller of Uni

Received 511 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by karfax
Hey Everybody,

Hello and welcome to my new(to me) 2001 Acura CL Type S! This is actually my first car, and I've been reading the forums for the past few weeks as I've been in the process of buying the car, and I'm really excited to get started wrenching on it.

First things first, I want to dip/paint the wheels, and I can't decide what color to go with. I'm leaning away from white or black because I think those are rather common, what do you guys think?

Also, I'm a student so I can really only afford budget mods, what are some of the best bang-for-buck things I can do to make the car lighter, handle better, faster, etc.?
Congrats on the car. Love the red. Here's my opinion on things:

I personally have dipped wheels and yes, it looks great...until you have to re-do it or peel the dip. It can be a massive PITA peeling the dip if you don't apply it right. Massive. Make sure you use some kind of glossifier (I recommend DipYourCar's stuff) and that will make a HUGE difference in it. Also looks better than the matte finish of dip.

As far as weight; buy a different car. It's fat. Deal with it.

As far as handling; front and rear sway bars will make a nice difference. Lowering it is a must. They're 4x4 stock. Lowering it at all will help out a lot. I recommend Tein springs (Roughly 2 inches of lowering) and they don't ride too crappy but on stock struts they will eventually. Good tires will also make a HUGE difference in the abilities of the car. Toyo, Nitto, Michelin etc.

As far as power; not much is going to be in your budget. Maybe an intake but that'll set you back $250ish IIRC, and you really won't see much in the way of power gains, but great sounds.

My opinion; make it look good. Lower it a bit, make her sound purdy, and get some new wheels. The CL has incredible lines and the red exceptionally accents them. And you can't beat a nice, comfy car with good looks.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Window tint, intake resonator removal, headers and start saving up for a replacement transmission.