E-Brake line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
E-Brake line replacement

Hello

Recently when getting my brakes and alignment checked, my garage told me the ebrake cables were stretched (might explain why I couldn't seem to get the ebrake nicely adjusted..either they seem to drag, or they don't engage enough, even when the ebrake handle is fully up) Anyhow, I decided to do it myself. Started working on it, but it seems like a bit of a PITA to get the brake line disengaged from the brake shoe. Didn't have the tool to separate the rear balljoint (I am probably not using the correct term...I don't need to pop the ball joint out, but just to push the bolt out of the hole) Anyways long story short, ended up putting the hub back on and putting it all back together and calling it a day.

My question is if there is any shortcut to do this, or do I pretty well have to separate everything (ie remove wheel hub. separate rear damper bolt, separate where the ball joint bolt attaches, etc)

Thanks
Old 10-30-2014, 07:17 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
You can take the slack out of the e brake line at the e brake pedal location by twisting a lock nut. It's a bit of a pain in the ass but that's how you can do it.

There is also a mini sprocket inside the drum area. Each rear rotor has a little hole and plug covering the hole. That hole is there to adjust the brake once the rotor is on the hub. It will scrap when you rotate the wheel by hand. Then when u drive it will even out and you won't hear it anymore. It's weird lol.

Lol even tho I know how to adjust it, I never have.

For some reason that's the one part of my car I don't give a crap about. I never park on hills or anything. But with the brake pedal smashed to the floor the car will still roll if in neutral on a 7 degree slope. So yes I should use my own advice lol... But fak it
Old 10-31-2014, 09:16 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried the major and minor adjustments already. The reason I was thinking of changing the ebrake cables is that the brake shop's assessment that it may be a stretched brake cable seems right: I haven't been able to get that feel in the ebrake handle that it had when the car was a few years old. It always seems a little too loose and I need to pull all the way up for the ebrake to engage. If I get the brake adjusted so that the ebrake is fully engaged about halfway up, then the ebrakes seem to drag when the ebrake handle is down. I even had a brake shop do the major and minor adjustment when they were inspecting them a few years ago. Man, do those cables ever hang low under the car!