Dupli-color Matched Spray Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Dupli-color Matched Spray Paint

So I was looking to paint the two posts on my bumper white like the 03's and almost just plastidipped it untill I saw dupli-color makes a Taffeta white match spray paint... anyone tried this?

Dupli-Color/Taffeta white Perfect Match paint (BHA0978) | | AutoZone.com
Old 10-06-2014, 08:16 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
I used the satin silver metallic on the inside of my rear fender wells to help prevent rust. It's been a hell of a battle.

As for the match, very close but still it's a different sheen cause it still needs to be cleared and the metallic is just a bit different. I would imagine clearing it tho would make it darker but I'm not sure. It's damn close tho I'd say. And cause Yours is not metalliic it's likely to be closer of a match I would think.
The following users liked this post:
kmarqueling (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 11:04 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
I used the satin silver metallic on the inside of my rear fender wells to help prevent rust. It's been a hell of a battle.

As for the match, very close but still it's a different sheen cause it still needs to be cleared and the metallic is just a bit different. I would imagine clearing it tho would make it darker but I'm not sure. It's damn close tho I'd say. And cause Yours is not metalliic it's likely to be closer of a match I would think.
Thanks! And trust me I know the rust problem. I went to menards and got a gallon of Hurculiner ( Underbody/ truck bed rubber paint) and did the whole under body of my car, as well as the wheel wells. Looks great and dirt and water just fall right off of it, plus reduced road noise. I posted pics of it in my build thread.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
I just sprayed my grill on my RL with the NBP out of the can. Now I sanded and did 3 coats of the paint. After it dried I wet sanded with 5000 grit paper and applied 3 coats of clear. I have to say it came out great. It exceeded my expectations especially since I've never painted anything.....ever. But I was patient.
The following users liked this post:
kmarqueling (10-07-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by coopcoop30
I just sprayed my grill on my RL with the NBP out of the can. Now I sanded and did 3 coats of the paint. After it dried I wet sanded with 5000 grit paper and applied 3 coats of clear. I have to say it came out great. It exceeded my expectations especially since I've never painted anything.....ever. But I was patient.
if you sanded anything, it should have been the clear And 1500 to 2000 would have been good enough and would have polished very easily.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01

You do know the base coat isnt going to seal out water, it needs the clear to do so.

And those looking to stop rust that is there and seal it up, you should try

Paint Over Rust to Stop Rust Permanently With Chassis Saver Truck & Auto Underbody Coating

or

SUPER STARTER KIT - Black
Old 10-09-2014, 08:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
if you sanded anything, it should have been the clear And 1500 to 2000 would have been good enough and would have polished very easily.
Well my worked. You can keep your I don't need it. The base coat needed sanded for imperfections.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Well my worked. You can keep your I don't need it. The base coat needed sanded for imperfections.
Seriously?? Drop the attitude.

I have been painting vehicles for over 20 years and was simply trying to be helpful. By sanding the base you can induce tiger striping type look and uneven color/shading and its far easier to burn thru the base color and have to respray than it is the clear coat. Most imperfections (unless major) like dust wont be seen once cleared and wetsanded.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Racer

Seriously?? Drop the attitude.

I have been painting vehicles for over 20 years and was simply trying to be helpful. By sanding the base you can induce tiger striping type look and uneven color/shading and its far easier to burn thru the base color and have to respray than it is the clear coat. Most imperfections (unless major) like dust wont be seen once cleared and wetsanded.
No attitude here so there's nothing to drop. Thanks for your experience but the way that I accomplished this task was conducive to what I wanted the final project to look like.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

No attitude here so there's nothing to drop. Thanks for your experience but the way that I accomplished this task was conducive to what I wanted the final project to look like.
Well my worked. You can keep your I don't need it.
So this isnt attitude?? Sure sounds like it to me, especially when all i was doing was trying to point out that that step isnt necessary and that any wetsanding is typically done only on the clear coat, and only done on base coat if there is a run, which its usually then sprayed over again.

And as far as your statement about being conductive to the way you wanted the final project to look, how would you know that is the way to go about it when you claimed you have never painted anything?
Old 10-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Racer

So this isnt attitude?? Sure sounds like it to me, especially when all i was doing was trying to point out that that step isnt necessary and that any wetsanding is typically done only on the clear coat, and only done on base coat if there is a run, which its usually then sprayed over again.

And as far as your statement about being conductive to the way you wanted the final project to look, how would you know that is the way to go about it when you claimed you have never painted anything?
You're right......."how would I know that that is the way to go about when I never painted anything?" I didn't.....but the thing about me is I'm not scared to try anything. If the final project doesn't turn out the way that I think it should. I will start over. No problem.