Where can I buy manual transmission parts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Where can I buy manual transmission parts?

I'm going to be rebuilding my CL-S's manual trans this summer, and I need to buy a synchro kit, since first is definitely gone, and others are on their way out. Problem is, I haven't seen anything anywhere for rebuilding this transmission. Where the hell can I buy this stuff?
Old 05-18-2015, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
The Helms manual offers a 72 page Manual Transmission section that covers all aspects of (Rebuilding) what you are looking for. Or perhaps, if you have access to an online service like Alldata, that would provide what you need as far as direction/special tool requirements et al.

As far as parts for the transmission itself, I have been told by a transmission repair shop that they do not have a dedicated 'rebuild kit' for this manual tranny. With that said, I believe that when these things are torn down/evaluated for repair each needed part is ordered via the OEM websites as needed. Don't take that as gospel, I'm just repeating what I was told by someone I inquired with on a tranny rebuild myself.

Therefore, be prepared to gather the parts for a needed repair/rebuild ahead of time. It took an extra week for a Honda dealer to requisition for me differential carrier bearings that were not part of a dealers normal inventory. Once again, that is what was conveyed to me in my particular case, YMMV.

If you have a minimum idea of what you want to start with replacing, parts wise, before opening the tranny case, it may be prudent to plan ahead and get those parts ordered. In addition, if you order said parts from on-line dealer websites, cross reference the Acura part numbers to Honda. There is substantial savings to be had by purchasing parts from Honda vs. Acura; however, it takes a little work.

Speaking of which, these links will give you a 'quick and dirty' depiction of the parts contained on/within your 6-speed transmission:
Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura

Good Luck, and let us know how it works out for you. Preferably with lots of pictures.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Wow, thank you. I did not know Delray stocked parts like the gearsets lol. And yes, if I tear it down, I will take lots of pictures. I'm starting to wonder if it might be worth it though, those gearsets were $500! We'll see. I'm in a shitty situation where I have the ability to rebuild the transmission, but not to take it out of the car. I'm going to work it out one way or another.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by gplayer
I'm in a shitty situation where I have the ability to rebuild the transmission, but not to take it out of the car. I'm going to work it out one way or another.
What ever direction you go, you may want to read over the 72 pages of what's involved with rebuilding this 6-speed from the manual. There are all kinds of procedures/special tools, shimming, preload and clearance inspection steps involved 'to make your head spin', lol.

However, you state that you have 'the ability to rebuild', so I'm assuming all this is a familiar skillset to you. If so, I take my hat off to you.

If not, going over those rebuild pages in the manual will surely convince you that this endeavor needs to be handled by a pro.

Cheers!
Old 05-20-2015, 12:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zeta
What ever direction you go, you may want to read over the 72 pages of what's involved with rebuilding this 6-speed from the manual. There are all kinds of procedures/special tools, shimming, preload and clearance inspection steps involved 'to make your head spin', lol.

However, you state that you have 'the ability to rebuild', so I'm assuming all this is a familiar skillset to you. If so, I take my hat off to you.

If not, going over those rebuild pages in the manual will surely convince you that this endeavor needs to be handled by a pro.

Cheers!
I feel pretty confident in my abilities, I'm a motorsports tech and I've played with a few transmissions, although never a transaxle. I will read through the manual for sure. I would hate to fuck something up on my daily driver.

Thanks again for the help!
The following users liked this post:
zeta (05-20-2015)