Valve stem seal sizes

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:02 AM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
Valve stem seal sizes

Does anyone know what the difference is between the intake and exhaust valve stem seals for the J-series engines? They're different part numbers through Honda/Acura, as well as some other third party manufacturers. Then others are just sold in packs of 24. I bought Viton seals as those are just the industry aftermarket standard usually, but they don't differentiate between intake and exhaust. Going back and doing it over I would just buy OEM. However, I was wanting to put these heads together today. Can anyone offer any insight on this issue for me?
Old 07-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Racer

Well, I broadened my search to other Hondas and may have found the answer to my question. It seems the oil clearances are just slightly different between the two. Enough for a few aftermarket companies to not care, likely. the Vitons were already installed on the heads a while back, but I'm going to go look for anything that visually distinguishes between intake and exhaust like markings or spring color. I don't remember anything from when I installed them, but a second glance won't hurt. If I can't find anything, I'll just order new ones from the dealer to be safe. I have some other things I need anyway.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:00 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Good luck. You might get more replies if you post on Facebook in the j swap groups.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Racer

I'm fairly sure that the information I found on another Honda page that I discussed in the previous post was correct. It's just an oil clearance issue due to the different temperatures of the exhaust and intake valves. I ordered new valve stem seals just to be safe and I'll be putting the Viton parts on a spare set of J35A3 heads I plan on porting.