Tire Combination Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 09:06 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tire Combination Question

I know I will likely be flamed and told to search. I have searched already and really haven't found this specific question. I have a for the most part stock CL-S6. Had it for about 2 years now with the same tires I bought it with. The tires are older, getting some dry rot cracks all around them. Also have some terrible traction in the snow so I replaced the front tires with two all-season 215/50/17’s in the front that were weighted more heavily towards snow performance to get me through the winter. Now the actual cold weather hit and I guess the shrinking finally unsealed or cracked something to the point of a very constant leak in the back tires.

My question is if I throw some 235/45/17’s with a grippier performance tread like YOKOHAMA AVID ENVIGOR 235/45R17 on the back am I going to experience any sort of crazy effects? I would enjoy the ability to hook up and have decent traction in the summer as we have a torquey car. I’d swap the 235’s in to the front in summer. This is on the stock Acura wheels. Also, I am not a crazy winter driver to any degree so I am not worried about the back sliding out in turns in the winter.

I know this goes in the tire + suspension thread, however I need to pull the trigger on something for my back tires asap and it looks like the last post was November and it was pretty much a guy talking to himself.

Any input appreciated, any flaming understandable.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2016, 06:44 PM
M90booosted

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
you can do it. but id put them all the way around. the offset tire size might throw abs/vsa off due to different wheel speeds.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
I would recommend 2 sets of wheels. 1 set with snow tires for winter and another set with summer tires. Then you just swap wheels yourself without having to change tires.

I would never run all season tires on any of my cars ever.