One more possible kit option for the CL from RonJon SD.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
One more possible kit option for the CL from RonJon SD.

From the 2nd Gen TL section, this kit will be made to fit both the TL and the CL unless there is a drastic difference. Sides and rear should fit fine, but the front will be questionable. Those who custom fitted the TL kit should be able to give me a heads up an the dimensional differences between the 2nd Gen TL and CL, feel free to chime in and let me know if the sideskirts are longer or shorter, etc...

**Edit regarding the material and cost:
I'm waiting for some samples to arrive, but what i've been told, it's virtually indistinguishable from real CF. Now I might have to stand corrected, I just had a late teleconference meeting with my production manager, he told me the CF replica material is a little more expensive, but not by that much, maybe $100-$150 more, but we won't know until we see how big of a sheet we will need to make the full kit, and if we can make the whole six piece kit from a single sheet. But we will most definitely be making the $480 kit from ABS plastic prepped and primed a dark grey primer that doesn't need to be painted but will accept paint if needed. More info will be posted when it becomes available.

Originally Posted by rondog
Ok, here's the deal, we are filling the need for the economic demand of lower cost with visual impact and high quality. The 2G TL has a decent amount of following, and it has limited options.

We will accomplish this by making a 6 piece splitter kit that bolts on from underneath, rather than a wrap around. With this method of attachment, we are able to make the splitter kit for both the 99-01 and the 02-03. We are also able to eliminate the R/D that takes so long to make the fitment tolerances so hard to achieve. 1-2mm in fitment makes no difference with a kit that bolts on with actual bolts from underneath as much as it does with a wrap around molded kit. This kit will also bring the ride height down 1.5" for aggressive style while not being overly distracting. The material we will be using is a very convincing Carbon Fiber style ABS plastic that is indistinguishable from the real thing, down to the clear coat and the weave pattern. It can be used as is with no paint and keep installation overall costs low. Or it can be ordered in prepped and primed for a paintable option.

Development for this project should be relatively quick since the engineering is so simple and design isn't overly detailed. Here's the initial design, there isn't alot of room to pay with, and this isn't supposed to be a dramatic styling mod, but it will be noticeable and improve the look of the TL, with paint it will be more noticeable.

All this for $480, ready to install:
(more angles coming soon)

Last edited by rondog; 01-09-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 01-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
me likey
Old 01-09-2011, 10:38 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
, still prefer the factory one on the TL

and it just looks like it was just slapped onto the bottom (especially the sides and rears)(needs to mold in a little better)

Last edited by friesm2000; 01-09-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:32 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i personally don't like it, because it seems like a kit on a kit (for the TL, as the TL has OEM pieces that need to be removed to install the factory aero kit)

it may look better on a CL because of this
Old 01-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Instructor

would love to see this on a CL...would the splash guards still be able to mount?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
is going to be anthracite dark grey?????

oh emm gee
Old 01-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
every single piece of oem TL lipkit is either longer/shorter or has different angles on the bumpers. there is no way you can make one lipkit and have them being able to fit both TLs and CLs.
u'll have to make them separately.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:49 AM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As soon as I see it on a CL I'll be able to decide. I'm not good at visualizing these kinds of things...but I am definitely anxious to find out how it looks...

Subscribed.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,143 Likes on 4,810 Posts
I think it looks pretty good on the TL.

I highly doubt you can make one version that fits both the CL and TL. But you do mention that theres little to no R&D costs so it may be worth it to make a version that is CL specific.

Id need to see a rendering, but I think it would look pretty nice on the CL as long as it still somewhat follows the body lines and doesnt flare out aggressively.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 667 Likes on 389 Posts
i can tell you know they wont fit both the cl and tl.

sideshirts: fit perfectly i didnt have to to cut or trim anything.

rear lip: i had to cut the sides shorter because they were touching the tires when i test fitted it.

front lip: the cl and tl bumper are two different shapes. it took me and another person to hold the lip in place while my boy molded it to the bumper.

me personally i dont like that kit because it looks like the stock molding that already comes on the car. if i were to see it in person i wouldnt think it was aftermarket at all. but what i can say it appreciate you trying to do something for the cl and tl when most companies have moved on from making products for our cars.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:18 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
+3 for the CL kit being different. Front and rear had to be cut into 3 pieces and near the headlights as the bumper wraps around, the CL lines are way different. The TL must be more boxy there, because as Diddy said, you have to push that piece into the bumper with some decent force to have it touch the CL bumper. The sides are roughly and inch longer on the TL. If you want them to line up bang on with the CL fenders they need to be a lil bit shorter.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Ok, if the sides work, then thats a plus, meaning we won't have to make anything for the CL except the front. The rear spats would work since they will be very basic, like molded rear mudguards to just flow out from the sideskirts height to the exhaust oipenings or a little before. But they will taper off so it should be fine. The front is the question, but we will see if it requires a whole new mold.

Originally Posted by friesm2000
, still prefer the factory one on the TL

and it just looks like it was just slapped onto the bottom (especially the sides and rears)(needs to mold in a little better)
I've seen you posts about you not liking our products, and thats fine, but I don't se anybody else out there doing anything for the newer or older Acuras, let alone anything non-fiberglass or ricey. So that kind of de-validates your negative comments. Besides, we are pulling this from the 2nd Gen TL to keep costs down there, we decided to make it this way, read the first post quote. Thanks anyway!

Originally Posted by rp_guy
i personally don't like it, because it seems like a kit on a kit (for the TL, as the TL has OEM pieces that need to be removed to install the factory aero kit)

it may look better on a CL because of this
Read the first post quote, but it is meant to give a lower ride height, like a splitter style diffuser kit. THere are many cars including exotics that have these parts to help with the design and give a lower ride height. It's not meant to be a molded kit or a whole dramatic thing, thats why we have the CL kit in urethane from our company.

Originally Posted by 03type_s6speed
would love to see this on a CL...would the splash guards still be able to mount?
No, because the splitter would travel along where the mud guards are, unless the mud guards are notched out for the splitter.

Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
is going to be anthracite dark grey?????

oh emm gee
It's going to come in a dark grey primer which is mountable as is or paintable, or a CF replica material that "looks" authentic.

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I think it looks pretty good on the TL.

I highly doubt you can make one version that fits both the CL and TL. But you do mention that theres little to no R&D costs so it may be worth it to make a version that is CL specific.

Id need to see a rendering, but I think it would look pretty nice on the CL as long as it still somewhat follows the body lines and doesnt flare out aggressively.
I'll work on some renders soon, its meant to be an accent not a dramatic styling kit. If someone wants more impact, they can paint it, if they want to be more subtle, keep it CF or dark matte grey primer as it comes out of the box.

Originally Posted by p.diddy
i can tell you know they wont fit both the cl and tl.

sideshirts: fit perfectly i didnt have to to cut or trim anything.

rear lip: i had to cut the sides shorter because they were touching the tires when i test fitted it.

front lip: the cl and tl bumper are two different shapes. it took me and another person to hold the lip in place while my boy molded it to the bumper.

me personally i dont like that kit because it looks like the stock molding that already comes on the car. if i were to see it in person i wouldnt think it was aftermarket at all. but what i can say it appreciate you trying to do something for the cl and tl when most companies have moved on from making products for our cars.
Thanks, and it is meant to be subtle, almost OEM style stock molding. But you will see it since it is 1.5"+ lower than OEM.

Originally Posted by gnuts
+3 for the CL kit being different. Front and rear had to be cut into 3 pieces and near the headlights as the bumper wraps around, the CL lines are way different. The TL must be more boxy there, because as Diddy said, you have to push that piece into the bumper with some decent force to have it touch the CL bumper. The sides are roughly and inch longer on the TL. If you want them to line up bang on with the CL fenders they need to be a lil bit shorter.
We're going to have to see in the end when we have both cars in the booth. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:03 AM
3.5 psi

Thanks Ron, glad you're looking into something for the CL, hope it turns out for everyone.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
i want to see finall product ron, im totally into this props
Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rondog
I've seen you posts about you not liking our products, and thats fine, but I don't se anybody else out there doing anything for the newer or older Acuras, let alone anything non-fiberglass or ricey. So that kind of de-validates your negative comments. Besides, we are pulling this from the 2nd Gen TL to keep costs down there, we decided to make it this way, read the first post quote. Thanks anyway!

the bodykit for the 3g TL i love, i just don't happen to have one though , i also happen to like your devotion 3-piece (DT3) wheels too, but just a little out of my price range though , and only in 19" or bigger; i wanted big rims at one point, but after having 18"s and the inertia it took to spin them, idk even if i will even go back to that size, and just stay with a 17"
Old 01-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Instructor

DO IT!!!!!!!!!! make the cl happen. i really like it
Old 01-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CL front bumper width > TL front bumper width
CL side skirt length < TL side skirt length
CL rear bumper width < TL rear bumper width
CL rear bumper length < TL rear bumper length

this is the 99-01 TL kit.

There's no way ONE kit will fit BOTH CL and TL. The CL front is more pointy than the TL. The rear of the CL is more round than the TL. There has to be a separate production for the CL kit; no way it can be interchangeable.

Last edited by LIPPSTUH; 01-10-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
CL front bumper width > TL front bumper width
CL side skirt length < TL side skirt length
CL rear bumper width < TL rear bumper width
CL rear bumper length < TL rear bumper length

this is the 99-01 TL kit.

There's no way ONE kit will fit BOTH CL and TL. The CL front is more pointy than the TL. The rear of the CL is more round than the TL. There has to be a separate production for the CL kit; no way it can be interchangeable.
Yeah, it's sounding more and more like it's not going to be direct, even if we have an inch or two to spare since it is bolting on from underneath. There may be a chance we can make a second mold and just elongate certain parts by a little and it will fit. No need to rebuild the prototype and all these other parts. The mold will be built in sections, so we can replace certain sections and keep the rest of the mold intact.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Will the kit require drilling into the stock bumpers?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,413 Likes on 3,023 Posts
Ron, I'm glad to see you undertaking this project, hopefully it works out in some fashion, but props to you for even considering it.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jacobpockros
Will the kit require drilling into the stock bumpers?
Yes, but small holes and only underneath the car where the holes cannot be seen. 3M tape will also be used.

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Ron, I'm glad to see you undertaking this project, hopefully it works out in some fashion, but props to you for even considering it.
Thanks, the 2G TL is a risk, but the pricing should be able to carry it over.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:28 PM

^

Im hesitant to get on the full kit GB now. I like this setup better as I wouldnt have to paint everything. I do like the subtlety of it.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Former Sponsor

That GB kinda fell apart, nobody else stepping forward. I am even contemplating a wrap around 2nd Gen style new front lip in ABS and use the existing RJ sides and rear for a new look.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

^ sounds good enough to me. Just restyle the from lip and it should be good
Old 01-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 164 Posts
^ x2. I can't wait to see!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
Ron, is it possible for you to take a mold off of one of the members CL with the TL lip kit and make those kits?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nspec_ya4
Ron, is it possible for you to take a mold off of one of the members CL with the TL lip kit and make those kits?
I like that idea!!! the 99-01 of course either way with this idea or even a new front lip design period I would be willing to wait for. Its a shame the GB fell through because I would love to have it but than again something new and fresh would be nice so I wouldnt be an identical twin to clint's PDG CL with the RJ kit.... Keep us up to date on everything Ron!!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacobpockros
I was thinking about you when i saw this thread but you beat me to it...lol.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:01 PM

I actually prefer RJs sides and rear to the TL sides and rear. The TL flares out too much. Looks kind of funny.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Very Interesting........
Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

I agree with you civic. I was gonna get RJ kit for my cl but i didn't. because i wasn't sure about the front lip. That's why I choose 2g tl kit. I've already had side and rear tl kits. not front though. still searching. I think I'm gonna sell tl kits. If rondog does redesign front lip and I'm definetely in. but i wanna see first.
and Thanks for doing this Rondog!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:57 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

*subscribed* Very excited to see the latest greatest to keep my interest in the CL!

I actually don't mind everything I've seen here but I'm very excited to see something happen...whatever it is!

Also, I love the idea of a "replica-style" TL lip kit to fit the CL.

Think you'd really have a market for such a thing because I'd honestly imagine that a majority of people love that design enough!.

But just to have more options is amazing and I'm not going to be "debbie downer" because any advance of the model is greatly appreciated!

I've always hated the "smiley face" look of the CL.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:55 AM
3.5 psi

Originally Posted by anthracitecl
I agree with you civic. I was gonna get RJ kit for my cl but i didn't. because i wasn't sure about the front lip. That's why I choose 2g tl kit. I've already had side and rear tl kits. not front though. still searching. I think I'm gonna sell tl kits. If rondog does redesign front lip and I'm definetely in. but i wanna see first.
and Thanks for doing this Rondog!!!
i used the wings west TL front and the rest OEM acura kit. Those front lips are more readily available. Cut the funny flares off at the sides.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

How about this style? This is rondog's old cl. I know you made cut out front lip for this look. I liked it.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

^ i like it

What if we go all the way

Last edited by StreetKA; 01-11-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Looks like its smiling too much. Reason I got my lip is to get rid of that smile
Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by StreetKA
^ i like it

What if we go all the way

Really like this one. I agree a little smiley but sporty look which I like.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 AM

Think though we should focus the energy of this thread on what Ronjon's willing to work with because the original point of this was to make something that required very little to no modification from a TL to CL design.

Just my
Old 01-11-2011, 10:30 AM

^ Agreed.

The SEMA kit is very nice, and I think the sides and rear of RJs full kit captures that.

But I do like the idea of originaly idea posted. Although a reworked front lip for the full kit would look great.

Quick Reply: One more possible kit option for the CL from RonJon SD.