My 6-Speed Swapped CL Progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
My 6-Speed Swapped CL Progress

Hey guys! I drive a 2001 Acura CL Type-S that I am currently swapping to 6 speed manual. After doing a lot of research I finally took on the project and bought a full donor vehicle that featured a magnificent rebuilt title and a pretty pristine engine/transmission assembly. 137,XXX miles, new axles, new clutch, full interior, timing done, etc. I essentially bought a perfectly running car and took the internals and put it into my ruined CL-S lol.

But regardless, I found out that the forum threads on the swap weren't up to par. I didn't think about making a DIY when I first started and it was already too late by the time I went full dive. Other swap threads didn't include the fact that the ABS systems were completely different and needed to be swapped, and that the connector on the R134a reservoir was completely different and needed to be swapped, or that the A/C components need to be removed to install the passengers side engine harness, or that the door harnesses needed to be swapped which means different connections. Needless to say this project has sincerely been the worst headache. Ever. Pursuing the project is intensely overwhelming to say the least. Looking at an empty platform and wondering how you're going to remove assembly A and insert assembly B is just mind boggling.

But that's besides the point. I'm at sort of a stand still right now. I lost my full service manual so I'm not exactly sure how to bleed my clutch or change connectors. Almost all connectors in the interior are installed with the exception of maybe three or four.

All I have left to do is:

- install Slave Master Cylinder
- tighten shifting linkage
- bleed clutch
- bleed brakes
- finish wiring engine and grounding
- finish wiring dash
- install belts and possibly retime the engine (I really hope not)
- all new fluids
- drill out upper clutch pedal bracket and rebolt
- bolt up downpipe

and most importantly:

- figuring out if I have to swap the rear chassis harness

Here's what's going on so far (these are from yesterday; as of today, the engine bay harnesses are almost fully installed)

So if anyone can help me with the following that would be awesome:

- Do I have to swap the rear chassis harness?
- Does anyone have a copy of the Factory Service Manual in PDF format (not the TL format)?
- How do I go about bleeding the clutch?
- Is there anything I will possibly encounter that I'm not prepared for?

Thanks as always guys!

- Morgaan
Old 11-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
You can obtain a download or download and disc of the CL manual from this website:

Acura CL 3.2 2001, 2002, 2003 Service Repair Manual PDF Download | AutoManualSource

Good Luck!
Old 11-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
I just wrecked my CLS6 this past Saturday and I was considering just buying a low-mile CL-P to swap the engine/transmission/ECU/harnesses over to. I knew there were a few differences, but I didn't know that even the ABS and A/C are different. I can't imagine what the purpose for that is! This makes me want to consider just selling the body to a Civic kid and moving on. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but the attraction to this type of a swap was that it would be a mindless swapping of parts and then I'm back on the road in a CL. This sucks.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You got your hands on a really clean engine!

Whats under the car cover?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:23 AM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
I swapped my 03 from auto to manual and didn't come across half the stuff you're encountering so it may be specific to the pre 03 cars. I didn't do anything with abs, door harness, or rear harness and everything works except memory seats and reverse lights
Old 11-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Racer

Well that's encouraging. Are the issues there because you didn't have a full donor car to pull harnesses from, or are they more extensive?
Old 11-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Racer

After going through the part numbers and comparing between a 2003 CLS6, a 2003 CL-P and a 2001 CL-P it seems that AnthraciteTypeS is correct. Of the 14 different chassis harnesses on the car there are 2 that share the same part number between a 2003 CLS6 and a 2001 CL-P. If the CL-P you're swapping things over to is a 2003, then there are 10 identical harnesses. That leaves 4 harnesses for you to swap over, in addition to the engine harness itself.

The 4 that are different are the ones that have been discussed on this forum. The two shock tower harnesses on either side of the engine bay that run into the cabin, and the two harnesses in the dash. Obviously the engine is the 5th one to be different.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by zeta
You can obtain a download or download and disc of the CL manual from this website:

Acura CL 3.2 2001, 2002, 2003 Service Repair Manual PDF Download | AutoManualSource

Good Luck!
Thank you for this! I came across it earlier and didn't know if it was legit but it's gotta be better than nothing.

Originally Posted by JarrettLauderdale
I just wrecked my CLS6 this past Saturday and I was considering just buying a low-mile CL-P to swap the engine/transmission/ECU/harnesses over to. I knew there were a few differences, but I didn't know that even the ABS and A/C are different. I can't imagine what the purpose for that is! This makes me want to consider just selling the body to a Civic kid and moving on. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but the attraction to this type of a swap was that it would be a mindless swapping of parts and then I'm back on the road in a CL. This sucks.
The changes are honestly fairly easy. Just know that if you do take the full dive for the swap, not everything is as easy as they make it out to be and they don't make it sound easy at all lol. I'm a 19 year old college student that has only owned my CL for two years and DIY's everything but I have no prior experience to this car. The concept is fairly basic: reinstall and install. It's just the little things that make it frustrating.

I'm a full time college student with a part time job working 30 hours a week and I have a girlfriend and a pretty demanding friend group and I've made really good progress. Under two weeks easy if you have all the components already.

Originally Posted by Scottyknows007
You got your hands on a really clean engine!

Whats under the car cover?
I actually cleaned her up myself lol! The 6-Speed engine wasn't nearly as mint looking as my 01 230,XXX mile engine but a ton of degreaser, some super high temp black and silver paint and my powdercoated valve covers made it look brand new.

There's a mint 1970 Mach 1 Mustang completely restored with only 50,000 miles that's been in my family since new underneath that cover. I can try to snap some pictures for ya later!

Originally Posted by AnthraciteTypeS
I swapped my 03 from auto to manual and didn't come across half the stuff you're encountering so it may be specific to the pre 03 cars. I didn't do anything with abs, door harness, or rear harness and everything works except memory seats and reverse lights
Yeah now that I think of it, it might just be because it's an 01. I'm not worried about power seats / memory seats because I use aftermarket seats and rails but the non working reverse lights would definitely bug me hahaha. Almost finishing up today!
The following users liked this post:
zeta (11-04-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Advanced

I haven't posted much recently because I've been busy with the holiday season at work and I've had finals at school but the swap IS done and she's up and running! I broke an axel within the first few days from excessive launching and overall learning how the 6-Speed feels on this car. I really love it

Other news is that I dropped off the CF hood at a body shop Monday and have been driving around hoodless for the past few days. The guys at the body shop are just sanding and reclearing the hood. What's awesome is that they're going to mix a little bit B92P (Nighthawk Black Pearl) in with the clearcoat so that the hood looks a tad more seemless. I also added some Fender Welt to the flares for a lot cleaner look. I was getting tired of the flares not fitting the body line properly so that'll help. Haven't had time to recharge the A/C or reinstall the stereo but that's the least of my worries. I honestly only really cared about the hood's clear going bad, an exhaust leak I currently have, and my fender vents.

Oh, also, putting in some mechanical work this weekend. Just ordered an oil cooler sandwich plate from Mishimoto and an oil cooler. Really excited to do something functional.

Here's some update pictures:

Last edited by m_rgaan; 12-08-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:50 AM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Looks good, were you able to get cruise and reverse lights functioning?
m_rgaan (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AnthraciteTypeS
Looks good, were you able to get cruise and reverse lights functioning?
Yeah everything functions normally. The only thing that's a little dodgy is the lock and unlock switches and key fob. I haven't reprogrammed the fob yet and for some reason, the lock and unlock switch just doesn't work. I replaced the entire rear chassis harness that goes to the fuel pump, lights, speakers, etc. Better safe than sorry haha.

Update: Hood may or may not be done today. They said it would be but they also told me it would take two weeks to paint and it took three. I'm hoping for the best
Old 12-12-2015, 06:12 PM
Advanced

Got my hood back. The NBP in the clearcoat made all the difference. Now I just need to do the same thing to the trunk.

In terms of what I want to accomplish over the next 12 months, it would be to basically work out some bugs, and really complete the look of the car overall.

Here's a basemap in no specific order:

- Blitz Type-03 Wheels
- Ron Jon Lip Kit or 2G TL Lip Kit. Swaying towards Ron Jon a lot more, but I haven't seen anything in Florida and shipping would be pretty hefty. That being said, if anyone knows anyone with a RJ Lip Kit, let me know.
- ViS Demon Style Front Bumper cut and molded to not look incredibly ricey
- Reclear CF Trunk with NBP mix
- Front Splitter
- Side Splitters under RJ side skirts
- Valve Adjustment
- Finish Front Fender Vents
- Fix exhaust or buy Tsudos
- Paint Match Fender Flares
- Wrap car metallic gun metal gray
- FM Oil Cooler
- Fix minor bugs
- Get at least one sponsor lol

This is all assuming that if I keep my head straight and nothing unfortunate happens, I will achieve all of this. You heard it hear first
Old 12-13-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Keep it going man
m_rgaan (12-13-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Advanced

More than happy with how the hood came out but starting to have other issues. Here's a few pictures of the hood first:

As you can see, it's pretty hard to directly see that it's CF without looking for it. But I really do like it. I definitely need to do the same to the trunk.

As for progress updates, I ordered a OEM Type-R Six Speed knob. Not sure of the weight, but it will be a good replacement for my '14 STI Knob that doesn't fit lol.

Also noticed a pinging feeling that comes from what seems like the transmission. I can feel the pulse through the tip of the clutch pedal when not engaged and when throttle goes from 1+ to 0. Maybe I should keep my foot farther from the clutch pedal hahaha.

As for modification, I'm going to try to get my hands on a RJ lip kit or maybe I'll settle for the OE Style TL Lip Kit. Not exactly sure how I want to tackle ground effects and aero so I'm taking my time. And from there, get the car wrapped or dipped Gun Metal Metallic.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:58 PM
Racer

This car is physical proof that Acura messed up by not having any definition the fender flares on these cars. There might actually be some aftermarket wheels out there that fit if they had done so.

The painted hood looks great. It makes me wonder what it would look like with the same thing done for Anthracite gray.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:37 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
love the hood! I would do the same if I could find one here.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It came out nice! I have been contemplating doing the 6-speed swap into an auto CLS however, it seems like a lot of work and difficult to source all of the parts..
Old 01-04-2016, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Btw, that hood is sexy
Old 01-04-2016, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by norcalhonda
It came out nice! I have been contemplating doing the 6-speed swap into an auto CLS however, it seems like a lot of work and difficult to source all of the parts..
Do it! It's worth every penny. But don't source each part just buy a parts car. I couldn't imagine the work sourcing every part and oh my god the money ew.

Also thanks
Old 01-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Advanced

Here's a picture from earlier today. Contacted a company about getting a rocket bunny style widebody made. I'm soopa excited!

teh CL (01-05-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
Looks great!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks, great. .. keep up the good work. ..
Old 01-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Advanced

So since my last progress update, I've swapped in an extra set of stock headlights I had laying around until I could figure out something to do with my retrofitted headlights. Lenses definitely need a cleaning and sealant is a pain.

Also, my Ron Jon Lip Kit came in yesterday! I was able to paint yesterday and install today and I'm pretty happy with the fitment. The colors are a little off but nothing I care about too much considering I'm changing the color of the car soon anyways. Still debating between metallic satin yellow, semi gloss white, and gloss gray.

Next plans might be going FI. I have the full kit and just need to modify the stock FPR, install all the components and gauges, get my spare oil pan tapped, and weld the downpipe and intake pipe to the wastegate and blowoff. After that, I plan on only running a few pounds of boost for daily driving.

Here's a picture of the lip kit on the car. It came BNIB

Besides that, not really sure what's coming next. I want a set of rainguards and I want to start my new Rocket Bunny project but I'm buying a new lens for my camera and the lens alone is worth more than my previous camera :/ Might just do some small things here and there unless major deals pop up.
The following 3 users liked this post by m_rgaan:
mugenspire (01-26-2016), spaceghostpurrp (01-26-2016), teh CL (01-27-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 07:40 PM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

Received 178 Likes on 156 Posts
damn son she lookin' sweet! Nice work
m_rgaan (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 07:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mugenspire
damn son she lookin' sweet! Nice work
Means a lot bud.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Got some more pictures today! Nothing too fancy, but I'm happy with how everything is shaping up.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Loving it. That front end shot is

It's a shame my 3.5 didn't get to live in there
Old 01-29-2016, 02:28 PM
CL-s6 4 lyfe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Super nice build. What spoiler is that? Looks like CF
Old 01-29-2016, 02:37 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
looking good! those headlights are much better than the yellow. Love the hood!
Old 02-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by teh CL
Loving it. That front end shot is

It's a shame my 3.5 didn't get to live in there
Thanks man! And it really is a damn shame. Believe me when I say I wish it did

Originally Posted by HorizonCL-s6
Super nice build. What spoiler is that? Looks like CF
It's a custom spoiler I had a company take measurements and make and paint. The trunk is CF but the spoiler is not.

Originally Posted by gnuts
looking good! those headlights are much better than the yellow. Love the hood!
Thanks man and yeah I totally agree haha. Always appreciate it

In other news, I had to push start my car last night at a meet. Replaced the starter and battery today and still no luck. Not really sure what else it could be. Maybe clutch switch or a fuse? It's always something I guess. Tried to swap in my auto starter but then I realized how different they are. (Manual on the left)

Here's a picture from my working in the dark last night.

Gonna trouble shoot more after class.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Main relay maybe?
Old 02-02-2016, 03:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by brian6speed
Main relay maybe?
Just checked the main relay and the soldering points are fine. It also clicks when you turn the key.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:08 PM
Advanced

Loss of start ended up being a dead cell in the battery, poor starter condition, and overall- bad main ground to the engine. I got lucky and Advance Auto replaced the battery under warranty

Also got my A/C recharged and with a new drier today. Florida heat got to me yesterday at 85 degrees fahrenheit. Finally had to stop being lazy and do it.

Next up is to either paint my car white or something I have no idea I have so much on my list hahaha.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:19 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
Geezus Krist that thing is sick!!
Old 03-01-2016, 03:24 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
What happened to the retrofitted headlights I seen in another thread? Looked good with the projectors in there
Old 03-01-2016, 10:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by johndo18
What happened to the retrofitted headlights I seen in another thread? Looked good with the projectors in there
They're actually currently being rebuilt by yours truly. I wasn't happy with how they looked.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by m_rgaan
Got my hood back. The NBP in the clearcoat made all the difference. Now I just need to do the same thing to the trunk.

In terms of what I want to accomplish over the next 12 months, it would be to basically work out some bugs, and really complete the look of the car overall.

Here's a basemap in no specific order:

- Blitz Type-03 Wheels
- Ron Jon Lip Kit or 2G TL Lip Kit. Swaying towards Ron Jon a lot more, but I haven't seen anything in Florida and shipping would be pretty hefty. That being said, if anyone knows anyone with a RJ Lip Kit, let me know.
- ViS Demon Style Front Bumper cut and molded to not look incredibly ricey
- Reclear CF Trunk with NBP mix
- Front Splitter
- Side Splitters under RJ side skirts
- Valve Adjustment
- Finish Front Fender Vents
- Fix exhaust or buy Tsudos
- Paint Match Fender Flares
- Wrap car metallic gun metal gray
- FM Oil Cooler
- Fix minor bugs
- Get at least one sponsor lol

This is all assuming that if I keep my head straight and nothing unfortunate happens, I will achieve all of this. You heard it hear first
One big step out of the way was the Ron Jon kit. Next might be painting the car white and aero. Not too sure honestly. Kinda been holding back on modifications and just cleaning her up.

teh CL (03-01-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 06:12 PM
CL-s6 4 lyfe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you know exactly where the fender flares came from and what brand? Dreadfully to say I have some rust starting in my left rear wheel fender and I will be repairing it myself this summer as best as I can. Just want something I can throw over a potential hack job lol I know awhile back I read a comment you made saying you were planning on taking them off maybe? I would probably be interested if that did happen tbh.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by HorizonCL-s6
Do you know exactly where the fender flares came from and what brand? Dreadfully to say I have some rust starting in my left rear wheel fender and I will be repairing it myself this summer as best as I can. Just want something I can throw over a potential hack job lol I know awhile back I read a comment you made saying you were planning on taking them off maybe? I would probably be interested if that did happen tbh.
Brian said they were just generic fender flares. I had to use 2" spacers to make my fitment look proper so I'm pretty sure they're 2" or 50MM flares. They came from Russia as well. Honestly not sure if she ordered them from ebay or some weird website when my ex-gf ordered them, but the fitment isn't too bad with some fender welt.

I'll keep you posted if / when I take them off. When I convert to rocket bunny I'll have no use for them.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:40 AM
j35/6 Speed Swapped

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow. One of the best lookin CL's on here imo. What diffuser is that? Again, wow