Hi all!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:51 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi all!

Hi all! My name is Morgaan and I've owned my 2001 Acura CL-S for over a year and a half now. I've been watching the forums, particularly brian6speed's build thread, as well as feeding my thirst for knowledge about the car. I bought the car when I was 17 off of my dad who bought the car brand new back in 2001. I then proceeded to acquire a job a month afterwards.

Anyways, as soon as I got the car I found interest in modifying it. Recently, I got rear-ended (notmyfault.jpg) and the car was almost totaled out, but thankfully, the insurance company decided to fix her along with the help of my local bodyshop. She should be back in action soon. I'm also considering doing a build thread. It might not be as well-funded as other since I'm overworked and underpayed, but I have a lot in store for Sophia (the car) including swapping it to 6-speed in the coming months. All I need to do is find a donor CL6.

Here are a few pictures in case anyones interested. I have been on Instagram since I bought the car (@m_rgaan) and have made a few friends in the area.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to talking to you all and being a bigger part of this forum!

- Morgaan
Old 05-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Advanced

Figured I'd post some of my modifications/soon to be modifications so that I don't look like a total nub. Note that most of this was done inside my garage with a couple of good friends. There's also probably more and quite a few small things.

Interior:
Real Sparco Steering wheel with NRG Quick Release and Hub
Harness Bar
Takata Harnesses
Carpeted Back Seat Area
NRG Red Type R Seats
Full White LED Conversion

Performance:
OR Underdrive Pulley with Gatorback Belts
Ported and Polished Intake Manifold and Plenums
Ported and Polished Intake Manifold Runners
XLR8 Test Pipe
XS Power Headers and Down Pipe
Megan EZ Streets with Swift fronts and Hyperco Rears
’04 TL Brembo Front Calipers (coming soon)
EBC Slotted Front and Rear Rotors
EBC Red Stuff Front and Rear Pads
Spectre CAI
Modified GReddy Revolution RS Exhaust
Resonator Delete

Exterior:
Enkei EKM3’s 18x8 +35
’03 Headlights Retrofitted with theretrofitsource.com projectors, halos, and shrouds
’03 Tails (coming soon)
M3 Spoiler painted NHBP
Tints
Mudflaps
Rear Diffuser
’99 Wings West TL Rear Lip painted NHBP (coming soon)
STI Lip
S2000 FRP Sideskirts
Rays Lugs

Looking to acquire:
P2R Power Plenums
6Speed Complete Swap or Donor Car
Throttle Body Spacer
Larger Throttle Body (after the 6speed swap)
Progress RSB
Eibach FSB
Ingalls Stiffy Engine Torque Dampener
Oil Catch Can
Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator with fans and shroud
AEM F/IC
Poly Mounts
Old 05-18-2015, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
what lip is it u use on the front bumper stock sti , aftermarket? car looks great.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:17 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
The car looks good man.......do you have any pictures that have more light in them?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:50 AM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
I have a mechanically mint donor 6 speed car in Connecticut. Just pulled the swap out and still have the car (crashed) if you are interested.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by boostedorbusted
what lip is it u use on the front bumper stock sti , aftermarket? car looks great.
Thanks! I used the STI lip.

Originally Posted by coopcoop30
The car looks good man.......do you have any pictures that have more light in them?
Thanks man and yes of course haha

Originally Posted by AnthraciteTypeS
I have a mechanically mint donor 6 speed car in Connecticut. Just pulled the swap out and still have the car (crashed) if you are interested.
Always interested to see whats out there in terms of a swap. I found one with 180k in Kentucky but I don't really want anything high mileage and shipping is like $700. Also, sorry about your loss.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what yr sti lip?
Originally Posted by m_rgaan
Thanks! I used the STI lip.

Thanks man and yes of course haha

Always interested to see whats out there in terms of a swap. I found one with 180k in Kentucky but I don't really want anything high mileage and shipping is like $700. Also, sorry about your loss.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Good looking CL!

I'm curious why you're going with the Brembo calipers vs the RL calipers?
Old 05-18-2015, 02:13 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
What color are the rims? It looks like gold but it's difficult to tell. I have a set of carbon bronze TSW's that look similar.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
Good looking CL!

I'm curious why you're going with the Brembo calipers vs the RL calipers?
Honestly, I got the set for the Brembos for crazy cheap. I legitimately could not lose the deal. I also thought that RL Calipers were overplayed (for good reason, but still) so I thought, hey why not. Definitely an upgrade.

Originally Posted by coopcoop30
What color are the rims? It looks like gold but it's difficult to tell. I have a set of carbon bronze TSW's that look similar.
They're actually a metallic brass.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:05 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That my good sir, is one clean CL if I don't say so myself. I'm interested in the sti lip and some good looking side skirts. How was the lip install? Easy?
Old 05-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by m_rgaan
Honestly, I got the set for the Brembos for crazy cheap. I legitimately could not lose the deal. I also thought that RL Calipers were overplayed (for good reason, but still) so I thought, hey why not. Definitely an upgrade.
I had a set of Brembos in my possession but I saw the retrofit wasn't as easy as the RL calipers since there was a bracket readily available. Have you researched on how to make the brembos work?
Old 05-20-2015, 06:09 PM
Advanced

Can anyone tell me what yr sti lip he is using?
Old 05-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Nice car and welcome! Keep us in mind for your performance needs!
The following users liked this post:
m_rgaan (05-23-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 11:25 PM
j35/6 Speed Swapped

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Damn, good job man, car looks beautiful. IMO one of the nicest CL's on here. I think I will be going with the same color combo(everything blacked out plus bronze or gold wheels)A few ?'s if you dont mind me asking. What year sti lip are you using? What diffuser? And how did you get window trim that color? Thanks!
Old 05-23-2015, 06:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
I had a set of Brembos in my possession but I saw the retrofit wasn't as easy as the RL calipers since there was a bracket readily available. Have you researched on how to make the brembos work?
I got them for cheap and in perfect condition. I think it would honestly just be a matter of shaving off a small portion of the caliper bolt hole considering the rotor is the same size.

Originally Posted by pinoy2o9
Can anyone tell me what yr sti lip he is using?
I honestly have no idea. I ordered it a really long time ago.

Originally Posted by ExcelerateRep
Nice car and welcome! Keep us in mind for your performance needs!
Thanks Excelerate! I've always kept a close eye on your parts and am looking to get some soon.

Originally Posted by hitek9
Damn, good job man, car looks beautiful. IMO one of the nicest CL's on here. I think I will be going with the same color combo(everything blacked out plus bronze or gold wheels)A few ?'s if you dont mind me asking. What year sti lip are you using? What diffuser? And how did you get window trim that color? Thanks!
Thanks man! That means a lot. Like I said, I honestly don't know what year. I can't even find a digital receipt for it. I bought my diffuser on GladFab and I spent a lot of time taping the car up and painting the trim.
The following users liked this post:
hitek9 (05-23-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 01:32 AM
Intermediate

Nice car bro!
Old 06-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Baller of Uni

Received 511 Likes on 396 Posts
Great looking car! NBP is such a great color.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:03 PM
6mt swapped..smart

The rotors between the 6mt 3g tl and the cl are not the same size. They tl is .4 inches larger (12.2 vs 11.8) so I don't think shaving the bracket alone will make them fit.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CLSilk
Nice car bro!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by CLassy02
Great looking car! NBP is such a great color.
I absolutely love NBP, although I do have a soft spot for anthracite.

The rotors between the 6mt 3g tl and the cl are not the same size. They tl is .4 inches larger (12.2 vs 11.8) so I don't think shaving the bracket alone will make them fit.
I have a shop around here that specifically does modification on imports. I'm going to bring them down there in a few days and see what they think. I already talked to one of the guys yesterday that I'm good friends with and he says we can look at it. If they don't fit, I can always sell them and make way more than what I paid for everything together.

I'm honestly thinking about picking up some RL calipers for $280, but I haven't exactly looked into how hard the install is.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:13 PM
6mt swapped..smart

It's not hard, you need custom radial mount brackets, brembo 350z rotors, and pads. Depending on the condition of the calipers, you could opt to replace the seals as well.

Depending on the size/style of wheel you're running, you also may need spacers to clear the caliper. Rule of thumb is at least +45 offset to clear but that can vary depending on spoke design
Old 06-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Advanced

It's not hard, you need custom radial mount brackets, brembo 350z rotors, and pads. Depending on the condition of the calipers, you could opt to replace the seals as well.

Depending on the size/style of wheel you're running, you also may need spacers to clear the caliper. Rule of thumb is at least +45 offset to clear but that can vary depending on spoke design
I think the calipers need a rebuild but that's not too hard. Is $280 a solid deal?

I think my wheels would clear it. Speaking of, I just got center caps in today.

I'm also not too focused on installing the calipers or doing any brake upgrades right now anyways because I really need to find a donor car for my six speed swap. What a hassle trying to find one it has been.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:48 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Selling my RL caliper set up .. check out the BM and PM if your interested. Callipers are in excellent condition