HELP!! $300.00 for two actuator arms?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 05:51 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!! $300.00 for two actuator arms?

Help!! $300.00 for two actuator arms? I'm New here, apologies if I'm doing this wrong. Problem:

( I will attach Pics if possible)
I follow all your posts here, thanks for many helpful tips. Here's where I'm at: My car: 2003 Acura 3.2 CL, 5 AT,
Prem Trim body. Not a type S. But I love it still. My mom swiped the side of a building! Sigh. $2000.00 non insured damage fixed. However, drivers side mirror ( Not shell ) damaged. I did a Pick & Pull, ( took ages to find same model in New England) I now have: Two Shells, One actuator, one unbroken mirror.
I removed door panel, replaced entire shell, popped new mirror onto actuator arms, but could not get other two stabilizer pins to pop in. Long story short: body shop knocked out mirror, broke actuator stems & "Glued" them into actuator. Mirror no longer functions. & it wobbles. Im left with two shells, one working actuator, one unbroken mirror, no actuator arms (stems) though. Dealer wants to sell me entire Mirror/Actuator part for 170.00 + 150.00 to install. $300.00 for what amounts to 50 cents worth of plastic.
If I could even Find a person who understood this, & could sell me the arms ( stems ). I know how to reassemble it all, but have difficulty getting the other two stabilizers ( non motorized ) to pop into place without risking breaking another actuator arm. All four Must be connected for a secure, working mirror.... You cannot attach all four outside the shell, because you then cannot fit tools to re-mount the actuator into the shell. ( mirror's in the way... Sigh
Any Advice would be welcome.
Panther

My baby, all fixed , with added spoiler & wind deflectors.

Most parts listings are wrong, junk yards don't make any money. Dealer wants 300. Which is ridiculous. I'm out of ideas.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:14 PM
10th Gear

I can't even guess where this request for advice falls, as far as where to post it. Any moderator who can move & tag it so it shows up in proper place, I'd be grateful. I doubt I will be able to learn how to actually use this site. I'm used to just reading. I don't imagine I have 5 actual post to get me qualified to do stuff.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
In short, It sounds like the reattached glued male 'stems' are now out of alignment with the female receivers on the back of the mirror; therefore, as a result the mirror ends up wobbling upon reinstall because only two line-up correctly.

Numbers 4 & 5 left/right ACTUATOR SUB-ASSY on the attached link are $78.25 each before shipping from this online vendor.

Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura

Unless you are prepared to look for more pick & pull parts, going new is the only safe bet by purchasing them online and installing them yourself. Then, of course, you ill have to carefully reattach the mirror; however, at least the 'stems' will be in alignment.

Also, #8 is the SHAFT ASSY., ACTUATOR for $14.12.

Last edited by zeta; 07-01-2015 at 09:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PantherSherry (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 10:36 PM
10th Gear

Smile Sub-assy Exactly!!

Zeta:

The exploded diagram was Perfect!
Thank you so much. Parts 8 & 9
Were exactly what I needed.
That was amazing!! Sending the Link
Was incredibly helpful. I'm amazed I
Got someone to understand finally. Also,
Thanks for the terminology. I may need
Advice soon about connecting the parts
You just directed me to, while also
popping the two stabilizing ones in as
well. That's where all the trouble
Started. If you know which order
May lead to all 4 connected properly?
Please don't hesitate to advise.
Wish me luck!
Thanks again!!!

Most appreciated,
PantherSherry
Old 07-02-2015, 12:03 AM
10th Gear

I may need
Advice soon about connecting the motorized
parts You just directed me to, while also
popping the two stabilizing ones in as
well. That's where all the trouble
Started, & how the first replacement mirror
was broken. If you know which order
May lead to all 4 connected properly?
Please don't hesitate to advise.
Thanks again for major assist!!
Old 07-02-2015, 01:47 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts

This is from a tl. It may or may not help you.
The following 2 users liked this post by 01acls:
PantherSherry (07-02-2015), zeta (07-02-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 04:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
^I was hoping 01acls would chime in with his depicted scan contribution. They are a HUGE visual aid for any problems with these vehicles. Props to him.

The mirror holder replacement procedure for the 2g TL is the same for the 2g CL per the helms.

Although I have not performed this procedure myself, it appears that the first, third, fourth & fifth bullet points in step 4 are going to be the most important aspects of the direction to consider, with a little luck.

The only thing I would do in addition would be to find something STABLE, preferably like a clear piece of plastic cut down to just a little smaller shape of the mirror sub assembly and use that to distribute/equalize the pressure, across the face of the mirror, when the time comes to attempt reinstall onto the actuator. It would also protect the fingers should the glass fracture.

Last edited by zeta; 07-02-2015 at 04:41 AM.
PantherSherry (07-02-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
I just want to add that this is one of those things that fields really unnerving to do because of the force you have to apply to a glass lens when putting it back into the housing. However, I did it last week when I had my mirrors apart and it's fully reattached with zero problems other than my hand prints I still haven't wiped off.
PantherSherry (07-05-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 11:05 AM
10th Gear

Having already broken one mirror,
I intend to follow all above instructions
Exceedingly carefully & gently.
Thank You all for such targeted
& Visual assistance!! Most appreciated.
Panther
Old 07-02-2015, 12:00 PM
10th Gear

According to diagram, Step 4 bullet number 3, would I grease & try to pop on the Mirror Position Sensor pins ( C ) First? Last attempt, I did the actuator arms first, leaving no way to get the two sensor pins to pop into place. The other arms being longer, may be what prevented me from getting the last two to pop in. ( they slide in & out ). Access to hol them out is limited, once stems have already been popped into place.
I'm thinking I have to do them ( sensor pins ) first, then attempt the arms with the boot?