I replaced my tired front driverside seat belt after many annoying years of putting up with the worn, 'slow to retract', spring that had seen better days. Purchased the new seat belt assembly from acuraoemparts for $209 shipped. The part # for the driverside
'Mild Beige' seat belt unit is 04818-S3M-A02ZC. The new belt assembly includes install directions/diagrams to aid anyone who may not have access to a manual.
Over the years, dealerships would refuse to replace it under the lifetime seatbelt warranty unless it literally 'seized' up.
Anyway, that's what they would tell me.
New belt works great, and now I don't have to think twice/work at getting the bloody thing to retract enough everytime one exited the car.
The Helms procedure is listed below, should anyone need a quick reference in the future:
Front Seat Belt Replacement
SRS components are located in this area. Review the SRS component locations, and precations and procedures in the SRS section before preforming repairs or service.
NOTE: Check the front seat belts for damage, and replace them if necessary. Be careful not to damage them during removal and installation.
Front Seat Belt
1) Make sure you have the anti-theft code for the radio.
2) Slide the front seat forward fully.
3) Disconnect the negative battery cable, and wait at least 3 minutes before beginning work.
4) Remove the Rear Seat Cusions and Rear Seat-Back.
5) Remove the rear side trim panel.
6) Remove the lower anchor cap and lower anchor bolt, then remove the slide bar. (24 lbf-ft)
7) Remove the middle cross-member gusset:
a. Detach the clips, and pull back the carpet.
b. Remove the bolts and nut, then remove the gusset.
8) Remove the bolts, then remove the seat belt guide (7.2 lbf-ft).
9) Disconnect the seat belt tensioner connector and seat belt reducer connector. Remove the upper anchor cap, upper anchor bolt (24 lbf-ft), the retractor mounting bolts (7.2 lbf-ft), and the retractor bolt (24 lbf-ft). Remove the front seat belt and retractor.
10) Install the seat belt and retractor in the reverse order of removal, and note these items:
-Apply liquid thread lock to the upper anchor bolt before installation.
-Check that the retractor locking mechanism functions.
-Assemble the washers, colar and bushing on the upper and lower anchor bolts.
-Before installing the anchor bolts, make sure there are no twists or kinks in the front seat belt.
-Make sure the seat belt tensioner connectors are plugged in properly.
-When installing the mounting bolts for the middle cross-member gusset, torque the mounting hardware in the following sequence. a. Three bolts and one nut to the side inner quarter panel (16 lbf-ft). b. Two bolts to the top cross-member (29 lbf-ft). c. Two bolts to the front side of the cross-member (29 lbf-ft). If the mounting bolts are not torqued in this sequence, damage to the quarter panel will occur.
-Reconnect the negative cable to the battery.
-Enter the anti-theft code for the radio.
In addition, the new lower slide bar and upper anchor came with new bolts, so it was not necessary to reassemble the washers, collars and bushings specific to them.