Difference Between AT Engine and MT Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have fried the valve train on my CLS6 and now in the market for a engine! I'm going to buy another J32a2. Question is there a difference between the auto and the 6spd engine? Need to know before a buy! Thanks Acurazine!!!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the auto will probably have extra cooling lines, but all you do is plug them up.

j32a2 = j32a2
Old 06-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Advanced

So it will bolt up to the tranny fine no problems?
Old 06-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
aren't you effectively doing the inverse of whatever the AT owners do.. (aka 6speed swap)..

if it works for them, what makes you think it won't work for you
Old 06-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Advanced

This is true I just want to be 100 percent right before a plug to trigger that is all thanks
Old 06-04-2015, 12:10 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
You have to swap some things from your 6speed to the auto engine.
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...s-cls6-915106/
This thread is for a J35 and shows what parts need to be swapped. You should get a J35A3 just like the OP in that thread.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:24 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Holy shit,

NO it's NOT the same engine.

You have to swap a bunch of stuff. If you can't find a manual engine, you'll have to buy all the parts to convert it to a manual engine.

I recently swapped from manual to auto, so I can sell you all the manual engine parts if you need. Let me know.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You will need to swap front cam gears and sensors, crank position sensor and gear. You can easily buy an auto engine and take the few things off your engine and swap them over.
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
Ken1997TL (06-26-2015), YeuEmMaiMai (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 07:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
^nailed the list down perfectly
Old 06-26-2015, 08:37 AM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
My Honda/Acura mechanic told me that although they matched the 6MT to have same amount of HP as the AT model (for sale purposes), it is a different motor from the AT. Lots of things are different on it, I forgot all the details he told me about but yes, they are different.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:54 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by SRB-TL
My Honda/Acura mechanic told me that although they matched the 6MT to have same amount of HP as the AT model (for sale purposes), it is a different motor from the AT. Lots of things are different on it, I forgot all the details he told me about but yes, they are different.
the only differences are listed above. They're both J32A2 engines so they're not different motors. The 6speeds have a few different parts to work with the manual trans. The engines alone will produce the same hp, however the auto trans sucks more of that power away than the manual.
The following users liked this post:
Ken1997TL (06-26-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 05:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you get the new engine drop the oil pan. Swap out the front cover/oil pump assembly. The crank sensors are different and mount to the cover differently. The other thing is you must remove the cam gear from the front head and swap the plate with the cam sensors. To do this you will have to do a bit of grinding to the outside of the head itself. All in all if you have the ability to swap an engine then these things are not a big deal. Oh and the harness is different so you'll have to swap that as well.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:56 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Grind the head?... uuhhh, why?
Old 06-27-2015, 03:49 PM
Advanced

I thought I explained why
Old 06-29-2015, 05:24 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
Posts like this annoy me. Multiple people above you have stated that the changes are minimal or even gone so far as to state exactly what those changes are. Your admittedly uninformed opinion on the matter does no one any good.

Originally Posted by microracer24
When you get the new engine drop the oil pan. Swap out the front cover/oil pump assembly. The crank sensors are different and mount to the cover differently. The other thing is you must remove the cam gear from the front head and swap the plate with the cam sensors. To do this you will have to do a bit of grinding to the outside of the head itself. All in all if you have the ability to swap an engine then these things are not a big deal. Oh and the harness is different so you'll have to swap that as well.
Again, misinformation helps no one. When he questioned this information, you even stuck to it. The guy who questioned you has actually done the swap (J35A3 if we're being particular on the details).

Are people so quick to respond and contribute that they have no concern as to the validity of the information being reported?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Advanced

As have I. J32A2 out of a CL-S auto into my CL-S6. I know what I had to swap... If you don't like my info prove it wrong. This is my DD and the engine has been in the car for over a year now. Obviously it's right. And nobody asked about the J35A3 so I don't know what you're getting at with that info.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:32 AM
®

Originally Posted by JarrettLauderdale
Posts like this annoy me. Multiple people above you have stated that the changes are minimal or even gone so far as to state exactly what those changes are. Your admittedly uninformed opinion on the matter does no one any good.Again, misinformation helps no one. When he questioned this information, you even stuck to it. The guy who questioned you has actually done the swap (J35A3 if we're being particular on the details).

Are people so quick to respond and contribute that they have no concern as to the validity of the information being reported?
So sorry to have annoyed you, you must be a very pleasant person to carry a conversation with. I can tell you really respect opinion of others. BTW, the mechanic I mention owns a specialized Honda and Acura shop, known all over Midwest, people drive way out of their way to see him, 26 years doing this. He can tear down a J motor and put it back together in his sleep. Certified in everything Honda certifies in. What are your qualifications?
Old 07-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Racer

So sorry to have annoyed you, you must be a very pleasant person to carry a conversation with. I can tell you really respect opinion of others. BTW, the mechanic I mention owns a specialized Honda and Acura shop, known all over Midwest, people drive way out of their way to see him, 26 years doing this. He can tear down a J motor and put it back together in his sleep. Certified in everything Honda certifies in. What are your qualifications?
That I have first-hand knowledge of J-series engines coming from my own research and owning many different ones.

I had the capability to read the information in the posts above the one you made before sharing my own thoughts.

The fact that I work in heavy civil construction and I still seem to know more about J-series engines than this mechanic would presume to.

If your mechanic is as qualified as you say, I'm sure he knows what the actual differences are. However, when the information is given in detail directly above you in response to the original person asking the question and you tack on an opinion that offers a generalized, "they're different", how do you expect that to not be conflicting with the correct information? If one of my 6-speed engines were to blow, I could go buy an automatic J32A2, swap over my wiring harness and all sensors, and I'd be back in business. Given that's what the OP was intent on doing, your answer would lead him to believe he couldn't.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by microracer24
As have I. J32A2 out of a CL-S auto into my CL-S6. I know what I had to swap... If you don't like my info prove it wrong. This is my DD and the engine has been in the car for over a year now. Obviously it's right. And nobody asked about the J35A3 so I don't know what you're getting at with that info.
Ill prove you wrong. I didnt have to do any of that when i converted mine to manual. Sensor bolted right up (to both the A2 auto motor and the J35A3 i have bored to make a 3.7). Also the J35A3 is the exact same block (motor for all intents and purposes) as the J32A2
Old 07-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Sorry, dont take this wrong but your mechanic fed you a line of BS. Other than a few minor things (mostly sensor related) they are the exact same engine. My qualifications are many modified/built J motors that i have built including the J37 out of a J35A3 block which is the exact same as the J32A2. There isnt a part inside the motors i havent held, compared, machined, swapped etc in them.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

That I have first-hand knowledge of J-series engines coming from my own research and owning many different ones.

I had the capability to read the information in the posts above the one you made before sharing my own thoughts.

The fact that I work in heavy civil construction and I still seem to know more about J-series engines than this mechanic would presume to.

If your mechanic is as qualified as you say, I'm sure he knows what the actual differences are. However, when the information is given in detail directly above you in response to the original person asking the question and you tack on an opinion that offers a generalized, "they're different", how do you expect that to not be conflicting with the correct information? If one of my 6-speed engines were to blow, I could go buy an automatic J32A2, swap over my wiring harness and all sensors, and I'd be back in business. Given that's what the OP was intent on doing, your answer would lead him to believe he couldn't.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:26 AM
®

Your entire reply is" I this, I that". Your civil construction job makes you more qualified then someone living and breathing Honda for living, probably longer then you've been alive. You're either a total narcissist or a troll. Either way, good day to you.

Last edited by loki; 07-02-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:10 AM
Racer

I would have hoped that you could tell from those responses that I was being intentionally ridiculous. I worded it that way to demonstrate how all the qualifications in the world don't mean dick if you spread misinformation.

But now you seem more concerned with my attitude than with the accuracy of the information. I'm the opposite of a narcissist. I have already explained why I took issue with your information.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts

Keep listening to your mechanic, certified or not he can still feed you BS. As long as your happy.

As for buddy grinding the outside of the front cylinder head to get the backplate/sensor to work..

What do I know..
Old 07-02-2015, 06:43 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
What? You're mechanic is an idiot, they didn't design a completely new motor just for the manual CL.

You could list the number of parts that are different. Just look at a parts diagram for both engines. I've personally converted both ways and ran the engine in both configurations.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:23 AM
®

Originally Posted by Karanx7
What? You're mechanic is an idiot, they didn't design a completely new motor just for the manual CL.

You could list the number of parts that are different. Just look at a parts diagram for both engines. I've personally converted both ways and ran the engine in both configurations.
Your