CLs stock exhaust VS TLs stock exhaust DIFFERENCES?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 04:32 AM
GroundeDCustoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLs stock exhaust VS TLs stock exhaust DIFFERENCES?

Im in a 03 CLs.

Would a TL setup (assuming 99-03) fit and if not perfectly what needs to be done in order to make it fit?

Looking at Tru bendz catback, only make for TL, is it worth it or just have one made up?

Tru bendz Price isnt bad.
Goin custom, The Y split i was looking at is 70-80$ just for the Y. So tru bends could be a good deal
Old 05-27-2016, 08:05 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's only a length difference. Looking on their site, it comes in pieces, so that wouldn't matter. You'll have a shop cut in a resonator anyways I'm assuming. Plus you could put in a 2.5 cat while you're there, mufflers of your very particular flavour.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:46 PM
GroundeDCustoM

Thats what i was thinkin as well, would only be a length difference and the CL is def shorter

Just wanted to kinda confirm if anybody used the tru bends TL cat back on CL!?

I just got off the phone with my meineki guy and he dont do stainless and he doesnt mandrel bend. Only CRUSH...

So tru be ds seems to be he the way

Appreciate the j fo on this dienin breed.... ...CLs
Old 05-28-2016, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
TL is shorter than a CL so if you use a TL exhaust it will not clear the rear bumper. Reverse it and the CL exhaust will stick out further.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:29 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
It won't matter with this kit because a resonator and mufflers have to be welded in
Old 05-29-2016, 08:44 AM
GroundeDCustoM

Puttin in a new cat wont make a diff in length. If anybting a new cat will be shorter then factory

And a resonator is not on the install list at first. Goin to see what it sounds like without first. Then il install one if needed.

I feel its better to install resonator after vs taking it out later

Do you know how much shorter it will be? I woulda thkught the TL was longer being a 4 door

Im sure a 2 foot peice of 2.5 will do?

Then maybe a foot oer side after the Y to the mufflers in 2.25.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
The TL and CL share the same wheel base, so they are relatively the same length. As YeuEmMaiMai mentioned the over all length of the factory exhaust is different because the rear bumper covers are different shapes. The TrueBendz kits are designed to be a cat back system, the section after the axle stops at the bend but does not line up with the bumper cut. They made it offset so an offset inlet / center outlet muffler can be used or you order and extra 2' of pipe for each side and weld it in at an angle to what ever exhaust tips you want then you line up on the bumper cuts.

According to UPS tracking my kit will be delivered Tuesday due to the holiday. I am using a Jones Exhaust off/cent muffler (same design as Magneflow but has a better flow rate and is SS) at the bumper, Summit Racing sales them for $38. I can confirm fitment when the pipe shows up.

Resonators do not reduce overall sound, they help eliminate unpleasant sounds and these J engines can sure make some in my opinion. Everyone has there own tastes of what sounds good and it is cheaper to add on than cut something out. I've got a new in the box Magnaflow 2.5" / 24" long bullet resonator setting on my bench that I don't need since I decided to go 3", if you get to the point you think you may need one hit me up.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:41 AM
GroundeDCustoM

Nice man. Appreciate the knowledge. Im going to pull the trigger on the tru bendz. And grab alittle extra piping just in case

Which would leave me self sufficent with material and all i need is to get it welded up

This jones exhaust you speak of. I was chdcking them out and its not an easy muffler to get info on. Sound clips etc

What made you pick jones? Price/quality base?!
So its a straight through design ? Or perferated tube(turbo) ?!

One thing about dynomax the return policy is great. Sound gaurentee. Worth a shot. Only issues i see is saying, ehh lets try another one. Ehhh lets try another one.

Georlic AP mufflers iv heard have some good products. Just google it. Seems like a few names under the brand. Xcellerator is another. Confusing situation

But odd ball brands give you that unique sound.

Last edited by GroundedCustom; 05-30-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Jones has been around for years and after reading reviews on Summit Racing as well as seeing the youtube video I posted below I decided to go for it.

The Jones muffler has far better construction quality than the Dynomax muffler that I received! Can speak for sound but I am pleased with the purchase, it looks like a quality piece and they are made in TN.

I received my trubedz kit today the bends look good, will probably be a couple of weeks before I have time to mess with it.

I opted for a single exit 3" kit with a Dynomax VT located after the J-pipe and the Jones Full Boar at the bumper with a turn down. All things considered (high nickle welding wire, gaskets, test pipe to cannibalize for transition, and shipping) I have spent less than $500 for a completely stainless steel system. I want a relatively quit system with no drone while cursing and normal driving. I can always add another can if needed. Since I am welding the system my self I plan to clamp it all together and test it before I weld.

Last edited by 03 tls nc; 06-02-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:21 AM
GroundeDCustoM

I cant agree more about the dynomax construction. The turbo mufflers look tin can"ish.

I couldnt find a turbo style quiet muffler in stainless. I think i got to the point of being sick of the exhaust videos and just said F it.

All im trying to do is mimic my sound now but increase larger piping and throw on new tips.

Your VT after the "J" interesting idea. I see your thoughts behind it. The Vt should queit down the jones muffler also.At least cruising. Because that jones can is more of a V8 growl. Gets tricky with these mufflers. But thats me.

Only thing about the VT, that internal spring. The life of the spring seems to be not so realiable

Anyone ever hear of Dr Gas Spin pro mufflers?! Google it. They come copper plated, stainless. They call um spin trap3 spin trap 4

I ordered the tru bendz also. But i stuck with non stainless. Since my mufflers werent. I barely drive the car to begin with.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
If cost wasn't limiting factor, I'd go with coastfab.

Their mufflers are ultra-light weight, stainless, can be taken apart and rebuilt, and you can choose packing material.

They are more race than street though, and too pricey for any Honda owner.

Coast Fabrication - Home

Burns sells the same mufflers made by coastfab, just with their name stamped on it.

Find Custom Exhaust, Header Collectors, Race Mufflers & More | Burns Stainless

Wanted to use Coastfab, but my shop wanted to use Magnaflow.

Last edited by brian6speed; 06-03-2016 at 01:15 PM.