Car wrecked, likely totaled :'(

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 03:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car wrecked, likely totaled :'(

Well there aren't really words to convey my sadness. I have driven over 100,000 miles in my lifetime, and my only crash was with possibly my favorite car I'll ever own; one which I only owned for 2 months and put 1,000 miles on. I have had a lot of close calls but I guess my time was up.

It was after midnight on the 405, wet dark and foggy. Two cars suddenly wiped out about 5 car lengths in front of me in the fast lane, I hit the brakes, dodged the first car and then the 2nd car spun right into me. The impact was on the passenger side, only minimally transferred over to my side so I am perfectly fine and only passenger side airbag deployed.

7 cars total wrecked, I heard that everyone walked away so thank God. I just keep replaying it in my head as to why my brakes didn't bring me to a stop quicker than they were, since they were out of control. I think they were bouncing against each other and the median a bit, which helps explain, but it is a bit hazy.

This car is irreplaceable, 99k miles, leather and interior about a 9.8/10 almost brand new. 25k in performance mods, everything comptech, supercharger, rotors, big brakes, racing wheels, performance clutch and flywheel..... I didn't deserve her.

I am wondering if anyone can weigh in with suggestions as to how to negotiate with insurance. I have heard they don't put any value on aftermarket, so I may get screwed. I would LOVE to get them to put the value high enough up that they don't consider it a total loss. I believe it is already established I was not at fault and someone else' insurance will be paying.

I am not too knowledgeable to guess how much damage was done, but obviously the suspension or axle is snapped along with panel damage all around, broken windows and door. Engine bay still looks 100% fine. If I can't get it repaired, I am looking for help on getting the biggest payout possible obviously. The appraisal starts Monday so I'll be calling in at some point if I don't hear back.

Any and all input appreciated! Merry Christmas, I hope you all had a better one than i did

some Hyundai carma for you..... The Genesis coupe 3.8 has always captured my eye. hmmmmm

Old 12-26-2015, 03:44 PM
05 WDP 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
very sorry to hear about your unfortunate events but glad you came out safe.

as for the accident, my supercharged TL was totalled in sept. even tho i had extra coverage for aftermarket equipment, the insurance didnt want to honor it even with receipts for parts and proof of extra value on the vehicle. long story short, they only paid the market value on the car. on the plus side, the adjuster worked on my side to get the purchase price of the car as low as possible so that i can keep the vehicle and strip her of all the goods. still not enough to replace her with anything worthy, but at the very least i was able to sell the salvageable parts.

good luck
Old 12-26-2015, 07:44 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Man that stinks........you and everyone else being alright though is what's most important. To me it looks totaled. I had an Accord with similar damage and they totaled it. You probably won't get the amount the car is actually worth. You could possibly purchase it from the insurance company and part it to make up the difference though.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:47 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
I wrecked my previous CLS6 on Halloween and Allstate wad only going to charge me around $450 to purchase the car back from them. That's with the car being valued at $3900 before the accident.

Sorry to see that this happened to you. Yours is surely to be valued much higher. I would do what I did. Take the payout and buy another CLS6. Then, as time becomes availanle, swap the parts from the old car onto the new one.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts
This is really too bad.... My guess is they total car. If buyback is reasonable do it. Then you could save your high $ parts for another car, or at least recover some of your $ by selling the parts.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:12 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Definitely buy it back if you can. SC and brakes alone will get some good resale.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:01 AM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Wow sorry for your loss. That is beyond totaled.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Damn man! I am sorry to hear this.. as you JUST got it. Glad your okay! If it is totaled, there are always other CLS6's out there and you can always swap your parts as Jarrett said
Old 12-28-2015, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
buy another one and transfer everything
2003 ACURA CL
2003 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S, 1 Owner, 78K mls, Auto, Great Shape, FAST!
2001 Acura CL 3.2
01 Acura Cl
2001 Acura CL Stype
Old 12-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Racer

The last three of those would be definite no-goes for me. Two have salvage titles and one as a rebuilt title.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:48 PM
Instructor

I did that in 5 minutes - just to show whats out their. the best one was the first one for $1200 with bad tranny. I would look for a cl-p that granny drove and flip everything over. I was drooling on the parts list of what is bolted to the OP cl-s
Old 12-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Cruisin'

Given my skill set, it isn't truly realistic to swap this into another CL. I'll keep mulling it over but I also don't have the finances right now to invest in a project. Another hospital bill from my daughters birth came in yesterday I wasn't expecting which I'll need to dispute. uggggg its one of those rocky periods in life to say the least.

I think it would be cool to sell the tranny, engine and supercharger all together. It has the comptech performance clutch and flywheel, I'd like those pieces to all go together. Man I miss rowing through the gears.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by shawn.m
I did that in 5 minutes - just to show whats out their. the best one was the first one for $1200 with bad tranny. I would look for a cl-p that granny drove and flip everything over. I was drooling on the parts list of what is bolted to the OP cl-s

Given my skill set, it isn't truly realistic to swap this into another CL. I'll keep mulling it over but I also don't have the finances right now to invest in a project. Another hospital bill from my daughters birth came in yesterday I wasn't expecting which I'll need to dispute. uggggg its one of those rocky periods in life to say the least.

I think it would be cool to sell the tranny, engine and supercharger all together. It has the comptech performance clutch and flywheel, I'd like those pieces to all go together. Man I miss rowing through the gears.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:01 PM
Instructor

i completely understand on hospital bills for kids - 21 years ago when my first kid was born I only had a 80% health plan. I was in the middle of a frame off restoration of a 67 chevy step side. just finished body work and putting a new bed on it. Daughter born and went right back in 5 days later - $2500 later ( mind you 1994 and only making $11 hour). I had to sell my beloved truck to pay all the bills.

take care of family first - the toys come back. why I am back playing now that my daughter left the coop
Old 12-28-2015, 08:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Sorry to hear OP.

Any shots of before the accident? You seem to have a lot of work done. Surprised we havent seen you around here prior.

Id love to see, and Im sure others would love to see as well, any dyno charts showing the gains of the supercharger. Also what wheels are those?

And yes sadly insurance doesnt give two shits about aftermarket wheels. Infact they dont care about anything you dont tell them about before and accident. Even if you install all OEM parts through an acura dealer. If your insurance isnt informed of what you add and they arent actively insuring what you mod then they wont pay out a dime for any of it.

It is always a good idea to insure your parts if you plan on having something like 25k worth in a car. Some light modding, like what I have done, no need really. But $20,000+ in mods should probably be insured. After all you would insure a 20k car so why not 20k in parts on a car.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:11 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Sorry to hear OP.

Any shots of before the accident? You seem to have a lot of work done. Surprised we havent seen you around here prior.

Id love to see, and Im sure others would love to see as well, any dyno charts showing the gains of the supercharger. Also what wheels are those?

And yes sadly insurance doesnt give two shits about aftermarket wheels. Infact they dont care about anything you dont tell them about before and accident. Even if you install all OEM parts through an acura dealer. If your insurance isnt informed of what you add and they arent actively insuring what you mod then they wont pay out a dime for any of it.

It is always a good idea to insure your parts if you plan on having something like 25k worth in a car. Some light modding, like what I have done, no need really. But $20,000+ in mods should probably be insured. After all you would insure a 20k car so why not 20k in parts on a car.
You can find my other thread in this same subforum. It will have all the pictures and stories you want and more. I just bought this car as it sits in October.

The thought occurred to me to add all the mods to insurance, I knew I had some exposure. In fact explaining this further is going to depress me a lot more, but I was actually about to mothball the car for a couple months and decide what to do with it. I would have tweaked my insurance to cover all the extras once I started driving it again. You can see in my other thread what the reasoning was, it did need some maintenance. This drive home was going to be the last drive I took it in for awhile :'(

But this piques my curiosity - since I am not at fault, shouldn't the other insurance company compensate me fully for what the car is worth, regardless of my insurance policy? I don't get that part yet.

These are the wheels it had: WedsSports SA70 wheels from Upgrade Motoring.com
Old 12-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Damn sorry to here man. That car had some nice work. Shame when things like this happen. Head up OP. Good luck and best wishes!!
The following users liked this post:
ComptechCLS6 (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 07:58 AM
Racer

The insurance companys' responsibility is to put you in the situation you were prior to the accident. IE: Make you whole. You will have to fight for this, and not accept any initial offers. You tell them they can fix the car, or find you one in similar condition with similar miles, and it must be a factory 6 speed car. When an insurance company cashes a premium check, they are in fact accepting the risk of the person who wrote the check. One caveat is most policies say actual cash value, so your insurance will only be liable for what they feel is fair value. But if another drivers insurance is paying it is generally cheaper to pay a larger claim than to fight to hard or go to court.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:17 PM
Advanced

Sorry to hear as well as a fellow neighbor. (Westminster) Sincerely glad to hear that you are okay!!! As a previous CLS-6 owner, it is sad to see another one bite the dust as these cars are becoming extinct. As Shawn M. stated, take care of your family first. Cars come and go. Perhaps you could buy back from the insurance company and sell "AS IS. Then invest into a family vehicle. Good Luck Man and congrads on your baby girl!!!
Old 12-29-2015, 03:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Damn sorry to here man. That car had some nice work. Shame when things like this happen. Head up OP. Good luck and best wishes!!
Thanks! I can't be too bitter, my little 2 month old raises my spirits each day, cars are but a small drop in the barrel of life experiences.

Originally Posted by Oldsman71
The insurance companys' responsibility is to put you in the situation you were prior to the accident. IE: Make you whole. You will have to fight for this, and not accept any initial offers. You tell them they can fix the car, or find you one in similar condition with similar miles, and it must be a factory 6 speed car. When an insurance company cashes a premium check, they are in fact accepting the risk of the person who wrote the check. One caveat is most policies say actual cash value, so your insurance will only be liable for what they feel is fair value. But if another drivers insurance is paying it is generally cheaper to pay a larger claim than to fight to hard or go to court.
Good info! I just spoke to insurance and the background helped. I am going to have to stick to my guns to get decent value back.

Originally Posted by Ayu688
Sorry to hear as well as a fellow neighbor. (Westminster) Sincerely glad to hear that you are okay!!! As a previous CLS-6 owner, it is sad to see another one bite the dust as these cars are becoming extinct. As Shawn M. stated, take care of your family first. Cars come and go. Perhaps you could buy back from the insurance company and sell "AS IS. Then invest into a family vehicle. Good Luck Man and congrads on your baby girl!!!
Thanks, I feel terrible this one bit the dust on my watch. Right now I am planning on exactly that - I don't have the expertise or the money to part the car out effectively, I hope to sell the car as-is for enough to recoup what I put into her.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:34 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Fuck...hadn't clicked on your other thread in a bit. Figured I'd check in to see how much you were grinnin and loving your new car.

This sucks major hairy llama asshole.

Fuck, I'm really sorry...oh well, set your sights on the next one.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, sorry for your loss.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:03 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucky to be alive!

Sorry for your loss bro, I guess a fresh new start wouldn't be so bad .
Old 03-23-2016, 06:53 PM
Cruisin'

exactly 90 days after my wreck, I got my car back from the yard. Guilty parties insurance was a nightmare to deal with from a timeliness perspective. Financially, it was fine as I got to buy it back for less than $350!!!

I'll be posting it for sale on FB and CL soon. I have a question - I'd like to keep just the headers and exhaust for my future CLS6 - how hard are they to remove by an amateur like me? Amateur as in I've never even done my own oil and I only have a basic tool box. Any help is appreciated. I might just pay someone nearby some money to come do it for me, I am sure its a 2 hour job max.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:06 PM
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ComptechCLS6
exactly 90 days after my wreck, I got my car back from the yard. Guilty parties insurance was a nightmare to deal with from a timeliness perspective. Financially, it was fine as I got to buy it back for less than $350!!!

I'll be posting it for sale on FB and CL soon. I have a question - I'd like to keep just the headers and exhaust for my future CLS6 - how hard are they to remove by an amateur like me? Amateur as in I've never even done my own oil and I only have a basic tool box. Any help is appreciated. I might just pay someone nearby some money to come do it for me, I am sure its a 2 hour job max.
all depends on your "basic" tool box... youll need a good ratchet with different size extensions, a universal joint, socket set etc. the rear bank/header is difficult to get to, youll also need to figure out how to get under the car to disassemble the exhaust.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:43 AM
Racer

If you decide not to keep the headers and portion of exhaust that connects the two (J-pipe?) I would be interested in them.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:16 AM
03 acura cl type s

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
[QUOTE=ComptechCLS6;15643414]Given my skill set, it isn't truly realistic to swap this into another CL. I'll keep mulling it over but I also don't have the finances right now to invest in a project. Another hospital bill from my daughters birth came in yesterday I wasn't expecting which I'll need to dispute. uggggg its one of those rocky periods in life to say the least.

I think it would be cool to sell the tranny, engine and supercharger all together. It has the comptech performance clutch and flywheel, I'd like those pieces to all go together. Man I miss rowing through the gears

I'm interested in the brake system let me know
Old 03-25-2016, 11:06 AM
Cruisin'

Car details should be up tomorrow on local Craigslist

Hilariously I got this notice 1 day before car was returned to my house.

Last edited by ComptechCLS6; 03-25-2016 at 11:10 AM. Reason: would not let me post picture.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:12 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
If you decide to ship......I'd be interested in quite a few parts.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Are still thinking $6k for the whole car as is ?
Old 03-27-2016, 06:52 AM
Racer

This car still pops up on an auto trader search. OP bought the car quite a while back. Wondering why.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:04 AM
Instructor

The. Guy who sold the car in the first place must have done a run till sell ad and never took it down.
I I'm him the other day and he said 6k for whole car as is right now. More than I want to pay
Old 03-28-2016, 12:30 AM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
A yard would give 100 cash for that car totalled. They could care less if its got a SC and a 6 speed.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:27 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by shawn.m
The. Guy who sold the car in the first place must have done a run till sell ad and never took it down.
I I'm him the other day and he said 6k for whole car as is right now. More than I want to pay
Might not have followed this comment entirely, but ya the original autotrader ad is still up, it is not mine but rather the person I bought it from originally. If you are speaking about somewhere else it is something I am not aware of.

6k isn't the price I said actually, however I have been informed not to solicit sales through this site due to my lack of history. I make no claims or guarantees therefore.

I actually haven't been able to post an ad yet due to my work schedule and holiday weekend, I think by this weekend I'll have it up on the local Craigslist.

I am not sure what I am going to replace it with yet. Not sure I'll find another good CL, and my wife said no to an s2000
Old 03-28-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
07-08 tl-s
Old 03-29-2016, 07:05 AM
Racer

Tell her you're going with something older just to try to save some money. Something around 1991 should do. Then pull up in an NSX.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JarrettLauderdale
Tell her you're going with something older just to try to save some money. Something around 1991 should do. Then pull up in an NSX.
I am going to do this one day . If all works out I'll own a RX7 FD, NSX, and E46 M3 in the next 15 years (not at the same time). Those are my realistic dream cars.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:31 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Man, can't believe your CLS-6 is gone - Having seen it in person, it was a true beauty

Convince the wife to get an S2000! It's safer .... in a few ways
Old 03-29-2016, 01:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TylerT
Man, can't believe your CLS-6 is gone - Having seen it in person, it was a true beauty

Convince the wife to get an S2000! It's safer .... in a few ways

We have two babies now, so she wants me to have 4 seatbelts. But I may win the battle cuz I havent' driven with anyone in the back of the car in over 2 years now. I'd like to buy the wife a nicer car too though, then I can probably get whatever I want and can afford. That is how it works
Old 03-31-2016, 06:57 PM
Intermediate

can you post the link on the page please?

Quick Reply: Car wrecked, likely totaled :'(