aem 30-6051 / 03 cl-s 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
If it was as easy as turning on a light switch, I wonder why aem didn't market it to work with manual motors also.
Precisely.

Emailed Dezod and they comfirmed you can plug stock ecu back in.

Tim at King Motorsports is looking into it for me. Basically have 3 options: Dezod option, hacking auto ecu, or converting back to stock. Will let you know what they come up with.
Great! I hope you find that solution that will get you the duel functionality of a safely tuned engine and the ability to convert back on that one day for emission testing.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Now now, let's play nice guys. I remember civic posting something about it, but honestly what does he know? He also said the butterflies were working in his J37 IM.
But honestly Karanx7, if you know everything why not post to help others out? I post all my info to help others, even though according to this forum I am a douchebag.
Civic knew more than most, but yea there's no way the J37 butterflies work with the gen 1 actuator. Our IMRC motors are on/off, while the J37 is a stepper motor.
Honestly, I'd love to help you out man, that's why I posted here. I think your build thread is one of the most badass, and I was pretty shocked to see Moderators saying vulgar and childish things to you. Whatever, I'm not going to get involved in drama not related to me.
Originally Posted by zeta
Of course, it's to be expected. You can't back up your statements, why would you think of providing open data to this forum? However, I must say you are quite adept at deflective inane one line asinine responses.
Back up my statements? My EMS runs with 100% functionality and passes emissions haha, and I did it all myself. I'm sorry you have some kind of personality disorder, but good luck and try to get a proper education.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Back up my statements? My EMS runs with 100% functionality and passes emissions haha, and I did it all myself. I'm sorry you have some kind of personality disorder, but good luck and try to get a proper education.
Boy, you are one twisted mess. There was no question about your achievement with the EMS. It's your infantile inability to find the post from civicdrvr backing up your, yet to be proved, assertion in post #74.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Boy, you are one twisted mess. There was no question about your achievement with the EMS. It's your infantile inability to find the post from civicdrvr backing up your, yet to be proved, assertion in post #74.
Aw thanks for acknowledging my car! It wasn't easy, but it was a fun learning experience.

Since our childish spat has been cleaned up already, I'll be as civil as I expect others to be. The information about switching from mag to hall sensors isn't limited to just civic, though you can certainly find that info on this forum. You can find it on the AEM forums, and their support has even stated that you can change the jumper positions (with a word of caution about mangling the 100 pin connector between the 2 PCB boards).

That being said, you've gone out of your way to be rude to me while I never insulted you, so that's all the help you'll get from me. Peace, buddy =]
Old 03-09-2017, 09:10 AM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Karanx is correct. Per what i've only read, you can open the AEM box and flip the jumpers inside the ecu from mag to hall sensors. After that, it's just a matter of changing some settings within the software itself. This would then allow you to plug the stock ecu back in and make whatever adjustments you need to make to hopefully pass emissions. I know Don from RPM systems posted about this in the J series engine nation group on FB a while back. It might be worth a call to him Brian. Obviously a pain in the ass now as you would have to swap back to the manual sensors.

If I were you, I would have probably researched this first and asked King to at least attempt it before swapping to the auto sensors/harness. I believe this is what dezod did to RJ's 6 speed car. Although I know they weren't using the 30-6051 box, but an older box that they wouldn't reveal.

Sorry you're going through this Brian. I would have went AEM years ago but feared running into the same issues you're dealing with now.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:22 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Do you really think I didn't do research first? I explained everything to King and left all options open to them, including running other ecu's. I also said car must pass emissions about 10 times. I can't help it if the shop did not listen to me.

I am at the point where I honestly can care less about ecu that is a pain and doesn't even give 2 peak hp gain. Right now i am just worried if ill get my car back before racing season begins. Looking at 5 months now without my car.

Last edited by brian6speed; 03-10-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Lone Wolf

One thing I am wondering is why can you switch jumpers on 30-6050, but not on 30-6051? All EMS2 are relatively same internally.

My shop is gonna open up the 30-6051 to find out. Should have all answers for you guys after I spend all my money figuring it out.

Hopefully there is at least 1 person who appreciates me posting this stuff with all negative comments I get from posting.

Last edited by brian6speed; 03-15-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

One thing I am wondering is why can you switch jumpers on 30-6050, but not on 30-6051? All EMS2 are relatively same internally.

My shop is gonna open up the 30-6051 to find out. Should have all answers for you guys after I spend all my money figuring it out.

Hopefully there is at least 1 person who appreciates me posting this stuff with all negative comments I get from posting.
That is what I don't understand as well. Why can't this switched 'Switch jumper', In either the 30-6050 or 30-6051, be ordered directly from the manufacturer (AEM) to enable the factory CL 6-speed sensors from the start. That way a consumer does not have to risk voiding the warranty by covertly opening the EMS unit up.

On such a pricey piece of electronic equipment, one would think there would be options. My hunch is that the 'flick of the switch' is more involved with further irreversible modifications to get the desired effect, than again WTF do I know.

I hope you don't have to spend all your money, brian. Though it would be nice to have a professional explanation as to what the gist is with this mystery BS. Hopefully your contacts at Kings can shine some light on it all.:twocents:

Last edited by zeta; 03-15-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:32 PM
Rawr.

Received 715 Likes on 421 Posts
Brian, you don't still use the CL as a daily right? I figured after having the FoST, that would suit the role of a daily driver? I get you want to drive the CL to the track and back, but it's appears you may need to invest in a trailer if this doesn't pan out... you sure as hell would spend a lot less on a used trailer, that's for sure... besides, I think it looks bad ass hauling that monster around.

And by the way, we do appreciate you posting on here... so knock it off with the self depreciation comments!

I, like many owners [past/present/future] lurk much more then post as I/we have no comment to add value to your build. You entered uncharted territory quite some time ago and we're along for the ride.

Either way, I hope you get this worked out with all resources available to you without spending a ridiculous amount of time & money that leads to nowhere... plan b may very well be the solution.

Looking forward to the next track day vid!
Old 03-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by Marcelechka
Brian, you don't still use the CL as a daily right? I figured after having the FoST, that would suit the role of a daily driver? I get you want to drive the CL to the track and back, but it's appears you may need to invest in a trailer if this doesn't pan out... you sure as hell would spend a lot less on a used trailer, that's for sure... besides, I think it looks bad ass hauling that monster around.

And by the way, we do appreciate you posting on here... so knock it off with the self depreciation comments!

I, like many owners [past/present/future] lurk much more then post as I/we have no comment to add value to your build. You entered uncharted territory quite some time ago and we're along for the ride.

Either way, I hope you get this worked out with all resources available to you without spending a ridiculous amount of time & money that leads to nowhere... plan b may very well be the solution.

Looking forward to the next track day vid!
My CL is gonna be street registered one way or another. I'd need to sell Focus and buy a hauler vehicle. Where I live you are not allowed to leave a trailer in your driveway, so I'd have to pay to store trailer at storage facility.

I wasn't really saying everyone on this forum is negative. I just meant when you post your failures and dynos online whether it be here, facebook, or wherever people seem to be very critical. I would be better off keeping to myself but i want to help others. Nevermind.
The following users liked this post:
Marcelechka (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 03:09 PM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
It's such a tragedy that concrete tuning could never be laid out for the 6speed. The information seems to be so scattered or hit and miss for such a fun car/platform. Brian how has King been outside of the emissions issue? You can PM me as I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything.
Marcelechka (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 03:10 PM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
I believe the 30-6051 is basically the same as S2K box which is why the sensors are set up for mag (that is what s2k uses). Probably didn't make sense for them to switch the jumpers for every v6 box sold that uses different sensors, but the option is there.

Don't quote me, just what i've gathered from reading this thread a long time ago. Not sure if OK to link so sorry mods if not allowed.. I didn't know and just trying to help

AEM EMS 30-6051 the real story
Old 03-16-2017, 07:53 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by CL-Future
It's such a tragedy that concrete tuning could never be laid out for the 6speed. The information seems to be so scattered or hit and miss for such a fun car/platform. Brian how has King been outside of the emissions issue? You can PM me as I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything.
King Motorsports Unlimited is a great shop. Honestly I take some of the blame for supplying them with my custom auto harness and auto sensors. If I didn't do that they might have done it right(to pass emissions) first time. They set it up flawlessly with my auto parts, just no way to easily pass emissions. All the work they do is top notch and I can't say enough good things about them. Keep in mind I can be very critical. They pointed out to me other day that all EMS2 are relatively same internally, so they don't see why you can't do same changes to 6051 as the 6050.

According to this post I found on accord forum they are right.

"AEM v2 30-6051 , Mag to Hall
Yes there are jumpers inside the ems to change from mag to hall, and you can also change the tooth count in the program. If you are unsure how to do both call the AEM tech line on your box. They are very helpful and usually very easy to get a hold of. I've called a few times and their help tech support has been great for me."

Shop is gonna modify internals, change tooth count in software, re-install oem harness and sensors, then build jumper harness. That should fix everything.

I think after going through this experience the answers will be easier for us azine cl owners to find. The info is out there scattered if you look hard enough for it.

Yea from what I've read 6051 is a s2000 box that was modified to save costs. AEM never planned for a true manual setup. I wouldn't be worried about linking posts. Mods on here are going into my personal info and changing it every week. They are like children, fuck em..

Last edited by brian6speed; 03-16-2017 at 08:07 AM.
CL-Future (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 08:38 AM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm pulling for everything to workout. If it does, and maybe even if it doesn't, I may send my CL their way.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:34 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls6 ems options

King Motorsports Unlimited is a great shop. Honestly I take some of the blame for supplying them with my custom auto harness and auto sensors. If I didn't do that they might have done it right(to pass emissions) first time. They set it up flawlessly with my auto parts, just no way to easily pass emissions. All the work they do is top notch and I can't say enough good things about them. Keep in mind I can be very critical. They pointed out to me other day that all EMS2 are relatively same internally, so they don't see why you can't do same changes to 6051 as the 6050.

According to this post I found on accord forum they are right.

"AEM v2 30-6051 , Mag to Hall
Yes there are jumpers inside the ems to change from mag to hall, and you can also change the tooth count in the program. If you are unsure how to do both call the AEM tech line on your box. They are very helpful and usually very easy to get a hold of. I've called a few times and their help tech support has been great for me."

Shop is gonna modify internals, change tooth count in software, re-install oem harness and sensors, then build jumper harness. That should fix everything.

I think after going through this experience the answers will be easier for us azine cl owners to find. The info is out there scattered if you look hard enough for it.

Yea from what I've read 6051 is a s2000 box that was modified to save costs. AEM never planned for a true manual setup. I wouldn't be worried about linking posts. Mods on here are going into my personal info and changing it every week. They are like children, fuck em..

i know this is a really old thread and topic but was anything resolved over installing the EMS? Which EMS was used 6051 or 6050? was a jumper harness made? And did all functions work properly such as cluster and so forth? thanks in advance. I tried contacting both AEM and Boomslang but i got no where.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hibooststeve
i know this is a really old thread and topic but was anything resolved over installing the EMS? Which EMS was used 6051 or 6050? was a jumper harness made? And did all functions work properly such as cluster and so forth? thanks in advance. I tried contacting both AEM and Boomslang but i got no where.
Read the thread below. It has all the info to answer your questions:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-p...-975609/page2/

Old 10-24-2019, 08:19 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read the thread below. It has all the info to answer your questions:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-p...-975609/page2/

thanks That was super helpful!!!! 👍🏼 But only thing I’m not able to see or find was that schematic zeta was speaking of. 🤔
Old 07-15-2021, 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 414 Posts
bumping old thread, yes forgive me.
finally getting ready to do my stroker build. got a lot of parts already and some on order. block will have halferland hyper pistons, j35a8 crank, rods, cams, injectors. p2r race headers. 3" single exhaust. considering going standalone, so picked up a 01 AT engine harness. also ordered AT rear engine mount bracket just in case.

Anyways, question is does the AEM EMS for j swaps run out the box? just something to get me 20-25 miles to a tuner without a tow truck.

Before I forget, I have the full j35a8 so plan to swap the cam and crank sensor over, just not sure it will fit as p2r had a video where they showed the timing belts are slightly different width.

Last edited by 619rcr; 07-15-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 414 Posts
NVM, think I found the answer.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post16584944