aem 30-6051 / 03 cl-s 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Dharma Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
aem 30-6051 / 03 cl-s 6spd

Has anyone successfully ran the ecu on their manual setup?
Old 03-16-2015, 12:02 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
You might also want to look into AEM'S newer ECU, the Infinity. Boomslang has a harness for manual cl listed on their site as plug and play.

There was a prelude with a j swap running the infinity ecu, but he had Dom make him a custom harness for swapping from oem ecu to aem ecu.

I plan on using infinity and installing it during winter.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Dharma Member

Originally Posted by brian6speed
You might also want to look into AEM'S newer ECU, the Infinity. Boomslang has a harness for manual cl listed on their site as plug and play.

There was a prelude with a j swap running the infinity ecu, but he had Dom make him a custom harness for swapping from oem ecu to aem ecu.

I plan on using infinity and installing it during winter.
Yea i looked into that, but supposedly it doesn't support the manual cl crank/cam gear yet. They do support the j37a1 24/3. I've talked to a few tuners, and they said I would have to get trigger on the cam gear milled or buy some AD-eng cam gears (350) on top of boomslang jumper (500) and i6 1300 price tag and aem uego (160).

On the second hand, i bought the 6051 for a good price. I originally want to get the i6 though, it looks promising, and my buddy suggested also.

There are some people who jumped the mag/hall sensor with success, and some who failed and is having issues still. A few resorted to swap over to auto sensors to get it to work. In the end it comes down to price.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
The day they come out with an Ecu that works with the Manuals without having to switch sensors will be an answer to my prayers
Old 03-17-2015, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
I've heard of people running the 30-6051 on their manual car, but it requires some modification. As Brian said, Boomslang can make you a custom harness to run it. Alternatively, I think you can re-pin the auto plug to work with the M/T. We do sell a repin kit.
www.aemelectronics.com/?q=products/programmable-engine-management-systems/series-2-programmable-ems/series-2-ems-plug-pin-kits
Old 03-18-2015, 11:00 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by ahxChun
Yea i looked into that, but supposedly it doesn't support the manual cl crank/cam gear yet. They do support the j37a1 24/3. I've talked to a few tuners, and they said I would have to get trigger on the cam gear milled or buy some AD-eng cam gears (350) on top of boomslang jumper (500) and i6 1300 price tag and aem uego (160).

On the second hand, i bought the 6051 for a good price. I originally want to get the i6 though, it looks promising, and my buddy suggested also.

There are some people who jumped the mag/hall sensor with success, and some who failed and is having issues still. A few resorted to swap over to auto sensors to get it to work. In the end it comes down to price.
Hopefully we can get something to work without buying AD Cam Gears. Not sure how long those would take to get.

Why would you need AEM Uego?

Wish I knew more about tuning and ecu's. Never tuned a car or swapped ecu before. CL is first car I ever turned a wrench on, modded, and owned.

I messaged boomslang and aem, will see what they suggest.

Originally Posted by johndo18
The day they come out with an Ecu that works with the Manuals without having to switch sensors will be an answer to my prayers
If that was going to happen it would have already. There is not enough manual motors or interest for a company to do it. They won't make a profit from it.

From one perspective it sucks because you have to put in research and work, which ppl don't want to do, plus cost more.

The other way to look at it is that if you do spend the time and money to get a stand alone ecu running then you will stand out in the cl crowd.

I like the challenge of a hard to mod car. It can be frustrating at times though.

Last edited by brian6speed; 03-18-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
If you have a true manual, then it kind of sucks getting the EMS to work. It's probably easier to just switch to the auto sensor setup.

If you're already auto doing a 6 speed swap, then the EMS is just plug and play easy.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Lone Wolf

AEM replied and said to just contact boomslang. So now waiting to see what boomslang says.

Seems like you are pretty much on your own to figure out sensors and wiring. I will get it done this winter with help from King Motorsports.

Ppl on this forum will love you if you post a DIY install for a 6mt.

I will most likely have to get custom harness made to swap back to stock ecu, otherwise I'd just stay stock for convenience till it is a full track car.

When you type our car model into boomslang websiye, they show harnesses for motec and other brand ecus. Maybe look at something besides AEM.

Last edited by brian6speed; 03-18-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:58 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Wouldn't this work for the true 6 speeds?

Dezod Motorsports. Dezod Motorsports AEM EMS Standalone Engine Management System-CL Type S 01-03 6 Speed
Old 03-18-2015, 03:05 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by teh CL
I posted that before, but noone elaborated on it.

I have a custom harness made by tuchtech purchased from a forum member. I was told it is plug and play with the EMS 2. I was told I just need to install auto cam gear, cam sensor, crank gear, and crank sensor. Those parts were included in the harness purchase.

It would be nice to not have to swap parts/sensors though and just modify the EMS internals if possible.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Dharma Member

I have messaged Dezod and this is what I got.

our unit is a combination of internal proprietary modifications along with a specific wiring harness to work. Our calibration is special as well for the app. It's a complete solution that has been tried and proven. It's far from an off the shelf unit.

No. We don't use the normal part number. We use another Honda part number.
You would need an aem uego wideband because the oem one is not supported. Boomslang said they can make the harness, it is 400 + shipping.

It's PNP ready to go. You will need to change the EMS 6051 to hall effect cam and crank inputs, as well as change the tooth count in the software.
The EMS hasnt arrived yet, waiting on it. I tried messing with AEMtuner and I dont really know much about it. But I looked at cam/crank gear count and its already 24. Which is above me, and have been inquiring with some tuners if they can config it for me. Maybe it doesnt change til when you have the unit plugged up.

I have someone that will sell me the auto stuff then I would just need the auto harness. I already have a tucktech tucked 6mt swap harness that I payed a good amount for now. So if I can just swap jumpers and have the unit config for the tooth count. I rather do that.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:27 AM
Lone Wolf

Here is what Bouckaroo on J32a.com posted about Infiniti ECU.

"i have an auto enguine yes. The infinity six doesnt care if it is auto or manual. The biggest thing witht he infinity six unit is that you need to have a crossover cable made to mate the I6 unit and its sinlge 86 pin plug to the honda wire harness. I did this by having Don at RPM make me a conv ersion harness that plugs into the stoc PCM plug. This way i can go from stock pcm to Infinity6 unit with no hassles. The harness cost me around 1300 to make and was the very first AEM Infinity 6 in canada as well as the firrt person to get one made to work with the stock honda PCM plug(that i know of...thanks DON!!!). I just bought a set of cam gears that are adjsutable, so now i wont even need the machined cam gear i have. The AEM Inifinity six unit requires a cam gear with only one pickup for the sensor on it rather than four pickups, so when if irst plugged the I6 unit it, the tuner, Turbogixxer, couldnot get it to run the engine as the camshaft position sensor was reading all messed up due to the extra pickups. I machined them off of a spare gear i had, and then i havnt had time to get it installed and running. Ive been doing allot of other shit and other projects. Onc ei gfet back to the prelude i will post the results of the use of the infinity six unit."

"Right now as it sits, the car is running on a stock motor, with stock injectors(well stock for the j32a from japan), a RPM SYSTEMS modified 01CL Harness with stock P8F pcm. I can unpl;ug the stock pcm, and plug in a conversion cable harness Don had made me that connects the chassis pcm port to the I6 8pin plug, then plug the I6 in. It reads, but will not crank due to the camshaft position sensor pickup is programmed into the I6 differently than the stock P8F pcm. This means that safegaurds will not allow the engine to start due to the crank and camshalft timing differences, this is due to the way the pickups are designed to read and report to the computer.

The current setup is temporary so that ic an work out any of the bugs in my prelude swap. Being that there was a rush put on everything to get it to the dyno(which almost happend, however i had an axle explode 2 blocks away from the dyno shop while i was driving to my dyno appointment), I havnt switched everything over yet. So far i still have a walbro fuel pump to add, a aeromotive pump to add, new lines, aeromotive regulator and then a set of FIC 900 injectors(i think they 900, they could be 925). Then it will be tuned on the I6 unit. One reason i have been delayign doing any of the work is because I have been busting ass to install a dynojet 248 into my garage at home. Now that is almost complete i will be hitting the Jswap in the prelude hard, to get it all tidied up for next spring."

Last edited by brian6speed; 03-19-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:10 AM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Don from RPM Systems claims to have completed and tested a plug & play ecu jumper harness to work after, as ahxChun already mentioned, flipping the jumper switch inside the AEM unit itself so that 6 speed hall sensors can be run as-is and do not need to be swapped.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:04 AM
Dharma Member

Originally Posted by AnthraciteTypeS
Don from RPM Systems claims to have completed and tested a plug & play ecu jumper harness to work after, as ahxChun already mentioned, flipping the jumper switch inside the AEM unit itself so that 6 speed hall sensors can be run as-is and do not need to be swapped.

If you are talking about the white track thats on Buttonwillow, he has a boomslang harness. His tuner ericks racing im baldwin ca switched the jumper and did the tuning him.

Someone else has a boomslang harness but it was only running on 5 cylinder aem and all on stock ecu. His tuner was talking to ericks also and they couldnt figure it out Either.

Someone I've been speaking to got his aem and jumper from a member on here and isnt working for him also. It was said to be working on a cls 6mt too. The aem is getting no stat sync meaning the cam/ccrank gear is not reading right.

I was talking to joe/bbuckaroo about the i6, thats how I wknew about the gear milling.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:05 PM
Lone Wolf

What about just using an Apexi Neo or SAFC-2?

Boomslang has harnesses for them and website says it works on both manual and auto.

Will the tune hold or be overwritten by ecu? Will it work with manual motor?

I saw some threads with j swaps claiming impressive gains.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
What about just using an Apexi Neo or SAFC-2?

Boomslang has harnesses for them and website says it works on both manual and auto.

Will the tune hold or be overwritten by ecu? Will it work with manual motor?

I saw some threads with j swaps claiming impressive gains.

If i recall emanage blue although somewhat outdated and limited compared to the ultimate and other setups, was the most compatible piggypack with the 2g. I remember bunch of people having issues with the AEM-FIC and having a hard time getting it to work properly
Old 03-22-2015, 10:32 AM
Lone Wolf

Yea just not sure I want to go emanage route. It seems expensive for what it does.

New emanage blue $330
New boomslang harness $230

Then add in tuning cost.

So if I want to run the custom harness I have now with EMS 2, I would need to swap gears and sensors. Then I would need to purchase an auto oem ecu. Then get a jumper harness made to go from my custom harness to the oem auto ecu so I can pass emissions once per year.

I honestly don't see any option I really want to do, unless I can get a racecar exemption.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Dharma Member

I think im gonna try the boomslang harness route with my manual sensor. Donations? Lol
Old 03-22-2015, 07:21 PM
Lone Wolf

Good luck. I will be eagerly waiting for results.

"I'll give you a dollar".
Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 AM
Lone Wolf

So if I wanted to run AEM Infinity ECU would I buy the AD Engineering Cam gears for the auto or manual?

Tried emailing AD Engineering but got no reply.

Last edited by brian6speed; 03-23-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Lone Wolf

I sent 2 emails to dezod motorsports. Both times I got a response within 5 minutes. I am impressed.

They are saying plug and play and all functions work including oem temp sensor.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Unregistered Member

I sent 2 emails to dezod motorsports. Both times I got a response within 5 minutes. I am impressed.

They are saying plug and play and all functions work including oem temp sensor.
Woah, that's interesting since the AEM EMS 2 doesn't even have an option to output oem coolant temp gauge signal. They must have figured out an easy fix, maybe just a single wire bypass.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:36 PM

Well that's some good news
Old 03-24-2015, 03:52 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Woah, that's interesting since the AEM EMS 2 doesn't even have an option to output oem coolant temp gauge signal. They must have figured out an easy fix, maybe just a single wire bypass.
Well that's some good news
Yea it's exciting. I didn't ask for specifics on how they got things to work. I am assuming they don't want to give that info out freely because then they would lose sales.

They assured me everything will work so I hope they are right.

They said OEM ECT is used or we can setup to use AEM ECT.

I might purchase their kit and let you guys know how it goes. Won't happen for few months, maybe more.

You guys could try and message them to get more info.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Unregistered Member

This seems like a good solution for the true manual 6 speed users. Someone buy it and find out how well it works lol.

I emailed them about the coolant gauge, and they just said it was a custom setup. However, the only way they could have powered the OEM gauge is if the S2K cluster uses the same input, in which case the solution is pretty easy. Time to find out myself.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:44 AM

Would it be possible to make an older EMS work? I found an AEM EMS 30-1020 for $300 local & also found this thread on modifying it to work on a Mitsubishi 3000 GT.

Using a Honda AEM EMS on a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center

$300 is a lot cheaper than 2k. Of course it's a lot easier said than done.

Last edited by teh CL; 03-25-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Lone Wolf

Good luck with that.

There is a EMS 2 listed in black market for $800. They sell new on Amazon for $1200. Just search for a cheaper used one.

Last edited by brian6speed; 03-25-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:23 PM
Dharma Member

You can use the old system, but you would have to convert it to hall sensor. Wire it up to run wasted spark and sequential injectors or something along those line. Ill find you the info when im on the pc.

As for dezod they said its not a 6051 but a different unit they got to work. Theres a member on here that has one, he said he doesn't want to mess with it incase he screws something up.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:08 PM
Dharma Member

Gen1 box.

AEM Gen. 1 EMS Thread
Old 03-25-2015, 01:20 PM
Unregistered Member

Yea, I just figured out how to get the temp gauge to work on the 30-6051, and there is no way they figured it out.

Either they don't have the OEM temp gauge working, or they are using a different box. I wonder which one they are using. Their picture shows an EMS 2, so it's not an older box.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:35 PM
Dharma Member

i wonder if they are using the 30-6050
Old 03-25-2015, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the info.

I've been doing some research today on the gen 1 EMS & it's getting my mind going, especially since ecu's/tuning is all new to me. Exciting for sure though.

Def not plug and play but doable. My concern would be the gauge functions since its a daily driver. More research is def needed.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Dharma Member

With the gen1 being so cheap, you can get some stack gauges or aem
Old 03-25-2015, 06:18 PM

That is true as well..

Old 03-26-2015, 10:42 AM
Unregistered Member

i wonder if they are using the 30-6050
Yea, I'm pretty sure they are.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:50 PM
Dharma Member

does anyone have an account at v6p? i have never been able to make a post since i signed up, but i did read somewhere that paul was working on getting the 6051 to work with a jumper harness.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:15 PM

I have an account over there.. what thread was that in?
Old 03-27-2015, 11:25 AM
Dharma Member

I can't recall, i have been lookinh up the topic everywhere. Try sending him a PM
Old 03-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Dharma Member

I have an account over there.. what thread was that in?
Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums - View Single Post - Give me feedback guys
Old 03-27-2015, 02:34 PM
Lone Wolf

I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting on Paul to figure it out. He has had over 5 years to offer a solution.

There is no market for it. You are talking about maybe a dozen ppl with manual motor willing to pay that much for ecu and tuning.

Quick Reply: aem 30-6051 / 03 cl-s 6spd