2003 CL-S 6spd SRS Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:37 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL-S 6spd SRS Warning Light

I am the original owner of my 2003 CL-S with the 6spd manual transmission with 32k miles. The SRS warning light came on last week on my way to the dentist. I found this forum and followed the directions for resetting the light with the paper clips. It was kind of a pain mostly due to little slack in the wires for the SRS plug on the back of the driver's side fuse box and lack of room in the footwell. I removed the dash piece under the steering wheel which made it a bit easier. I was able to get the SRS light to reset after several tries but each time I actually started the car back up after waiting 10 seconds the darn light would stay on again. I didn't buckle any seat belts or even drive the car. I just started the car and the light stayed lit each time.

So, I dropped the car off at the dealer and they called back an hour later and said it was the sensor in the driver side belt buckle. They also shocked me with an estimate of $345 to replace. I asked that it should be fixed under warranty but they said because it's the sensor and not a mechanical failure so the fix is not covered by the warranty. I found my warranty booklet in my files and it states the below.

========================
Seat Belt Limited Warranty

Time Period
This warranty continues for the useful life of the vehicle. **** so no time or mileage limitation as long as the car runs

Warranty Coverage
Acura will repair or replace, at its option, any Acura seat belt component that fails to function properly during normal use. This includes all parts and labor charges.

This Warranty Does Not Cover:
  • Replacement of a properly-functioning seat belt assembly strictly for cosmetic or comfort reasons.
  • Failure caused by abuse, alteration, accidental damage, misuse, or malfunction resulting from a collision.
=============================================
This warranty appears to be crystal clear that any seat belt component (which the buckle would be one) is covered under warranty for the life of the vehicle.

Questions
Has anyone had a seat belt buckle replaced under warranty when the SRS warning light stayed on? The explanation by the dealer seems like a bunch of hooey.
Do you remember what the DTC diagnostic code was to get the dealer to suspect the driver side seat belt buckle sensor?
Is the sensor located in the buckle itself and must the whole buckle be replaced to extinguish the SRS light?
Do you know the part number for a black interior? maybe 04816-S3M-A13ZB?

Thanks for your help,
Ray
Old 08-31-2016, 12:19 PM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
I don't remember the code, but years back I had my driver side seat belt buckle replaced, free, under warranty due to srs light
Old 08-31-2016, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by ray03cls6mt
Has anyone had a seat belt buckle replaced under warranty when the SRS warning light stayed on? The explanation by the dealer seems like a bunch of hooey.
Yes, I had mine replaced in June 2011. It sounds like you are going to have to 'fight the good fight' with this particular stealership OR take it to another, if there is one within a reasonable distance of your locale, OR DIY.
Do you remember what the DTC diagnostic code was to get the dealer to suspect the driver side seat belt buckle sensor? Is the sensor located in the buckle itself and must the whole buckle be replaced to extinguish the SRS light?
Do not recall the DTC code, sorry. Most likely the 'sensor' is a part of the buckle assembly.
Do you know the part number for a black interior? maybe 04816-S3M-A13ZB?
Yes, that is the correct part number for the black interior car. See the link below. They are only $63.05 plus shipping (#3) if you get no recourse from the stealership and elect to DIY.

SEAT BELT for 2003 Acura CL

The threads below may be helpful reading pertaining to your situation, IF you have not already discovered them:
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-p...-light-742517/

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-p...ension-478199/

As the original owner, you should have received the SRS indicator light warranty extension Letter?

Last edited by zeta; 08-31-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good info to know. I am driving back from picking up my recently purchased CL-S, and the SRS light is on as of this morning.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

FYI, I found the SRS DTC's from the Helms manual, they are 9-3; 9-4: Faulty driver's seat belt buckle switch and Faulty passenger seat belt buckle switch respectively.

The one thing that stands out to me is that the Helms has it documented as a seat belt buckle 'switch' vs. a 'sensor'.

If one wanted to argue semantics between the two with the advisor or his/her manager, by definition a 'switch' - is a small device that starts or stops the flow of electricity to something (such as a lamp or a machine) when it is pressed or moved up and down VS. 'sensor' - a device that detects or senses heat, light, sound, motion, etc., and then reacts to it in a particular way.

Therefore, if the mechanical seat belt buckle 'switch' is not performing correctly when the male end of the seat belt is introduced into the female buckle, then the SRS system and its sensing components cannot recognize the switch signal and throws the appropriate SRS DTC(s), for storage, and disables the system until testing can be conducted to remedy the fault, in this case the seat buckle switch.

OP, if I were in your place, I would talk again with the service advisor, then escalate to the service manager. If you still get Life time warranty non-compliance then escalate up to the regional Acura official for your area. In turn, if that does not work, call Acura Client Services 800.382.2238 as a last resort.

Good Luck!

Last edited by zeta; 08-31-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:31 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by zeta
FYI, I found the SRS DTC's from the Helms manual, they are 9-3; 9-4: Faulty driver's seat belt buckle switch and Faulty passenger seat belt buckle switch respectively.
You are exactly right on the DTC of 9-3. I talked to the service advisor again today and he acknowledged his mistake. He stated Acura changed the seat belt warranty in 2004. So, since my CL-S is a 2003 I'm in the clear and the driver's side seat belt buckle will be replaced free of charge under warranty.

So I would guess then that anyone with a 2003 or earlier CL/TL will likely be fully covered under the warranty for any seat belt related components.

I will give a status after the part comes in to the dealer and my repair is completed. I hope this repair will extinguish the SRS warning light.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:02 PM
Suzuka Master

You are exactly right on the DTC of 9-3. I talked to the service advisor again today and he acknowledged his mistake. He stated Acura changed the seat belt warranty in 2004. So, since my CL-S is a 2003 I'm in the clear and the driver's side seat belt buckle will be replaced free of charge under warranty..
That's good to hear. I bet he/they reevaluated their initial denial and found with this so called '2004 seat belt change' he speaks of, that they would have a hard time justifying not repairing your seat buckle, if you pressed the matter, because of the Lifetime warranty stated above in your first post.

I will give a status after the part comes in to the dealer and my repair is completed. I hope this repair will extinguish the SRS warning light.
If there diagnosis is correct, It should. Driving with a disabled system is no bueno.

One unrelated question Ray, have you had the timing belt changed on your 13+ year old 32k mile 6-speed?

Last edited by zeta; 08-31-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:15 PM
7th Gear

I got the the seat belt buckle replaced today and the SRS light is now extinguished. The dealer seemed to do a good job, took about 1 1/2 hours.

As the original owner, you should have received the SRS indicator light warranty extension Letter?
No, I don't remember ever getting this letter. It's possible mine wasn't part of the 'certain 2001–03 3.2CLs' group. I will look in my files though.

One unrelated question Ray, have you had the timing belt changed on your 13+ year old 32k mile 6-speed?
I actually bought my 03 CL-S in April of 2002, so it is almost 14 1/2 years old! And it's still on the original tires! No, I haven't had it replaced yet but have been considering. It's always been garaged so maybe that's kept it from breaking or maybe it is just luck.

I talked with service at Hendrick Acura Overland Park and they quoted $1295. A $100 coupon would bring this down to $1195. Seems kind of high to me. I am assuming this would include replacement of the timing belt, drive belt, water pump, tensioner and coolant. Anything else that should be replaced/inspected?

I will call some Honda dealers and an import shop that specializes in Honda vehicles for estimates also before moving forward.

Last edited by ray03cls6mt; 09-07-2016 at 09:26 PM. Reason: posted early by mistake
Old 09-07-2016, 10:35 PM
Suzuka Master

I got the the seat belt buckle replaced today and the SRS light is now extinguished. The dealer seemed to do a good job, took about 1 1/2 hours.
Very Good, that usually does it.

No, I don't remember ever getting this letter. It's possible mine wasn't part of the 'certain 2001–03 3.2CLs' group. I will look in my files though.
That could be and probably explains why, as the original owner, you did not receive it.

I actually bought my 03 CL-S in April of 2002, so it is almost 14 1/2 years old! And it's still on the original tires! No, I haven't had it replaced yet but have been considering. It's always been garaged so maybe that's kept it from breaking or maybe it is just luck.
LOL, You must have bought one of the first ones made, If I remember correctly, the 6-speed was a mid year model release and they did not start making them until March 02? Mine was made in March 2002; however, I did not purchase it until Aug 2002, so it sat on the dealers lot for about 5 months. They, the dealer, were hot to get rid of it, so I was able to get a sweet deal.

I talked with service at Hendrick Acura Overland Park and they quoted $1295. A $100 coupon would bring this down to $1195. Seems kind of high to me. I am assuming this would include replacement of the timing belt, drive belt, water pump, tensioner and coolant. Anything else that should be replaced/inspected?
Yeah, that's something you will want to address soon. The Helms manual states the timing belt, under normal conditions, measured in distance/time, should be replaced at 105K miles or 7 years. If you happen to be interested, you can purchase a PDF of the Acura service manual for under $24.

Acura CL 3.2 2001, 2002, 2003 Service Repair Manual PDF Download | AutoManualSource

I will call some Honda dealers and an import shop that specializes in Honda vehicles for estimates also before moving forward.
That is a good alternative to the dealer. Just make sure they replace the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and the associated pulleys. It would also be a good thing to replace your drive belts as well. If you have not ever had the brake fluid or the brake fluid for the clutch master cylinder bled, that would be due as well.

Good Luck!

Last edited by zeta; 09-07-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My local dealer quoted me $499 plus tax to do the following:
Includes replacement of Timing Belt, Drive Belt, and Inspection of Water Pump. Tensioners and Water Pump extra if needed after inspection.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jetsfan2016
My local dealer quoted me $499 plus tax to do the following:
Includes replacement of Timing Belt, Drive Belt, and Inspection of Water Pump. Tensioners and Water Pump extra if needed after inspection.
How many miles are on your new car?

If you are handy with a wrench, replacing the timing belt is not that difficult and complete kits can be purchased on Amazon; Rockauto; ebay for reasonable prices. The hardest part about it was getting the crankshaft pulley bolt loose, after that it is pretty straight forward.

The thread below covers every conceivable question and experience others have encountered while doing the TB:
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ics%2A-784622/
Old 09-15-2016, 04:41 PM
Eurotrash

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
So I would guess then that anyone with a 2003 or earlier CL/TL will likely be fully covered under the warranty for any seat belt related components.
Yes, in USA we're covered under factory warranty. But that still won't stop the slimy stealer from trying to charge full price (as opposed to warranty reimbursement from Honda) from any unsuspecting owner again. Scumbags....

PS. Replace the other buckle as well, or you'll get the SRS light again. What I should say instead is that the other buckle will eventually break as well, so you'll have to remind the stealer about the warranty again when you go back for that.

Last edited by Tosh; 09-15-2016 at 04:45 PM.