03CLS6 Autocross/Track/Street Build Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldsman71
The VIN will tell you if its real though. Car Fax puts a 2K premium for cars with a 6 speed VIN. Down the road, these cars (real 6 speed cars) will start to appreciate in value. It just may take another 10 years or so.
True, but I will never buy or sell. Don't think they will appreciate in 10 years, would be surprised if more than 5 are on road still then. These cars will turn into a pile of rust eventually.

Last edited by brian6speed; 05-16-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Lone Wolf

Had autocross yesterday. Out of 18 or so cars in my class, I placed 1st. Beat 2nd place by 1.5 seconds and still could have been much faster.

The new rear alignment settings are definitely an improvement.

Going to order RE-71R tires for the front, then my wrong wheel drive car will be unbeatable.

Also got my plaque from last year.

Forgot to turn GoPro on, so no video.

Got a lot of positive comments on hood vents.

One of the fastest miata drivers kept saying he wanted to steal my engine and swap in miata.

Another guy asked me "What engine do you have, an LMP2? He said it sounds amazing for a V6.
The following users liked this post:
Marcelechka (05-18-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
congrats! wish there was video, love watching them.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:04 PM
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts
Good Job Sir
Old 05-16-2016, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Awesome job man!!!...hope I can do the same when it eventually hits the track.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by brian6speed
True, but I will never buy or sell. Don't think they will appreciate in 10 years, would be surprised if more than 5 are on road still then. These cars will turn into a pile of rust eventually.
I'm sure there will be more than 5. My guess 10-20%. I haven't seen any rust to speak of on my car. Of course it spent most of its life in Houston (6 months in FLA), and now resides in a garage and is only driven in nice weather. Appreciation is a crap shoot. However when people get to be my age, they like to get things they had in their younger years. When the number of cars has declined due to attrition, the prices will start to rise. This is because the people that still have the nice ones will require a higher dollar amount to let go of them. Basic economics. Of course inflation will also be a factor.
Marcelechka (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 06:58 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by gnuts
congrats! wish there was video, love watching them.
Thanks, sorry no video. It wasn't on purpose. Was thinking during first session to wait till second session to record, but it slipped my mind. Next event won't be far off.

Good Job Sir
Thanks. How car drives now and my driving have improved so much since you met me at Tirerack.

Originally Posted by curtwill
Awesome job man!!!...hope I can do the same when it eventually hits the track.
Thanks, think you will do great. Thanks for convincing me to run rear toe out, that helps rotation. It does make car more twitchy and a handful. Driving CL around tight autocross course is like riding a bull. It is a handful, but loads of fun.

Think could even add little more toe out, but think I'll keep it as is for now.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:58 AM
Rawr.

Received 715 Likes on 421 Posts
Forgot to turn GoPro on, so no video.

I'm sure there will be more than 5. My guess 10-20%. I haven't seen any rust to speak of on my car. Of course it spent most of its life in Houston (6 months in FLA), and now resides in a garage and is only driven in nice weather. Appreciation is a crap shoot. However when people get to be my age, they like to get things they had in their younger years. When the number of cars has declined due to attrition, the prices will start to rise. This is because the people that still have the nice ones will require a higher dollar amount to let go of them. Basic economics. Of course inflation will also be a factor.
The guy (older) who purchased mine keeps is locked up in a garage... last we spoke, he rarely ever drives it.

Considering the condition of your car, you'd fetch a pretty penny for sure... no question.

Last edited by Marcelechka; 05-18-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:05 PM
Lone Wolf

Hey atleast I got to see the runs, that's what matters heh.

Does anyone have experience removing the front or rear windshield moldings? Are they held on by sealant? My rear windshield seal is leaking in 2 areas and there is some rust underneath that needs cleaning up. Can you remove them without damaging or do they need to be replaced? Any tips appreciated.

Has anyone replaced them with new seals? Do the seals come bent and stuffed in plastic package. Will installing it remove all the bends, creases, etc from sitting in storage for 15 years?

Guess worst case is ditch seal and apply sealant all around edge. Won't be as pretty.

Last edited by brian6speed; 05-20-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:09 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
It's preformed, but not as stiffly.as a heater or radiator hose is. Just enough to let you know where the bends are so that you align them properly. I have a windshield molding, but I have not installed it yet. I'm waiting until after paint.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:17 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by JarrettLauderdale
It's preformed, but not as stiffly.as a heater or radiator hose is. Just enough to let you know where the bends are so that you align them properly. I have a windshield molding, but I have not installed it yet. I'm waiting until after paint.
Yea I know it is preformed, just worried about how they stuff it in a small plastic bag. Wondering if the creases and wavy sections will flatten out when installed, especially on rear windshield where mold is one piece that goes around whole thing and has that rubber section that extends by trunk.

Guess only 1 way to find out with this car, do it myself.

Ordered both windshield molds.

Noticing more and more oem parts being discontinued like side skirts and rear quarter glass windows. If you want NOS parts, might want to purchase sooner, rather than later.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:56 AM
Lone Wolf

Representing 2nd Gen CL

Nice thing with the WCMC group is that they give these nice mugs for finishing 1st in class. Have a nice collection going now. Still need to drink my celebratory beer from the mug.

Name:  Autocross%20Awards_zpsnspxwq6o.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  223.5 KB

Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R Tires

Ordered (2) 255/35/18 tires for front.

Funny how Tire Rack has these tires ranked 5th in class just because of road noise and tread wear.

Compared to my 255/35/18 ZII Star Specs, these tires are 1 lb lighter and have a 9.3" tread width compared to 9.6" for Dunlop.

Figure this is best size to get. 265/35/18 tire is listed 2 lbs heavier, plus less fender clearance.

on a side note, that Formula 3 crash this morning was brutal.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:00 AM
Racer

Hey atleast I got to see the runs, that's what matters heh.

Does anyone have experience removing the front or rear windshield moldings? Are they held on by sealant? My rear windshield seal is leaking in 2 areas and there is some rust underneath that needs cleaning up. Can you remove them without damaging or do they need to be replaced? Any tips appreciated.
The glass has to come out to install these. The shop that painted my car didn't get my new molding centered properly in front and had to pull the windshield to put a another new molding on. They are not re-usable.

As far as new oem parts drying up. We are lucky they have kept them available this long, as '03 model is now almost 14 years old.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:56 AM
Lone Wolf

The glass has to come out to install these. The shop that painted my car didn't get my new molding centered properly in front and had to pull the windshield to put a another new molding on. They are not re-usable.

As far as new oem parts drying up. We are lucky they have kept them available this long, as '03 model is now almost 14 years old.
Really? Guess I can't do it myself then.

The manual says you can remove mold before removing windshields, but does not mention replacing mold without also replacing glass.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:59 PM
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Brian when you ground the lip out of the Comptech J pipe connection to the CAT what gasket did you use? Walker sells an EO replacement gasket but it only has a 1.95" opening.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:54 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by 03 tls nc
Brian when you ground the lip out of the Comptech J pipe connection to the CAT what gasket did you use? Walker sells an EO replacement gasket but it only has a 1.95" opening.
I went to Advance Auto and had them look up generic OE replacement. Not sure what opening diameter was, but it had to be more than 1.95".
03 tls nc (05-23-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 02:25 PM
Lone Wolf

Front tires arrived. These things are super sticky. Might wait to do 1 more autocross and track day till installing.

Wanted to do autocross with TSSCC this weekend, but seems family obligations get in way. Not sure if I will like running with these other groups. They use SCCA rules which makes my car unclassable. Would have to compete against race cars on Hoosier slicks. Runs would just be for fun. Problem with these groups is they cost more (40-60 per event vs 30 with wcmc). You also only get 6 runs all day vs 10-20 runs with wcmc. Positive would be more events to run and more open courses which is good for CL.

Next autocross won't be until June 11th. Seems so far off. First track day should be my birthday, June 15th at Blackhawk Farms. First time in last 6 years I won't spend my birthday driving home in CL from National Meet.

Think I am not gonna do much to CL till winter. Gonna switch my focus to my focus.

Want to get tune, koni/GC suspension, Mountune recirc valve, rear motor mount, RE-71R tires, and chromoly crash bars.

Focus has chromoly crash bars available that weigh 3-4lbs. Compare that to our 19 lb bumper beam with added 7.5lb weight. So if you are running like stock your CL beam is 26.5 lbs. That has to be heaviest bumper beam on any car ever. Even after I spent days drilling and hole-sawing, my CL front beam still weighs 11 lbs. Focus oem steel bumper beam weighs 12.

Could always try getting custom crash bars made for CL, my only concern is that my oem bars support bumper skins and wonder how much they would flex.

Last edited by brian6speed; 05-25-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:09 AM
Lone Wolf

Ended up signing up for autocross this Sunday with TSSCC. They said I could be in tire limited class, but will see. Gonna try and leave early, hopefully get atleast 6 runs.

Will try and remember to turn camera on this time.

Changed my mind about modding Focus more, screw that thing with mac struts and no limited slip. Would take so much work to get it as fast as CL.

Already working on a new version of rear diffuser. It will be smaller and hopefully half the weight. Removing side sections and making the strakes much smaller.

Last edited by brian6speed; 05-28-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:53 PM
Lone Wolf

Autocross isn't going too well. My front tires are shot. Oh well.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:33 PM
Racer

Good thing you have new ones sitting there.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:28 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by JarrettLauderdale
Good thing you have new ones sitting there.
Yea, was spinning tires last event, but just assumed it was because of the 40 degree weather. Think track days late last year really heat cycled them.

Was spinning in 2nd gear at only 3-4k rpm.

This was my most disappointing event yet. Got called a newbie twice, ppl laughed and pointed as I drove down pits, and everyone blamed me and my car being a fwd acura as reason I didn't do as good as I should.

C7 vette I beat at this location last year beat me by 2 seconds this event.

Will have to wait till September and October to run with this group again and get revenge on cheater stones tires.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:40 PM
Racer

That's annoying. And it's not like that guy is going to corroborate your story either. Just beat them next time.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:05 AM
Lone Wolf

Noticed 2 of the bolts for my 4 point UR mid brace were loose. Guess I am not torquin them down enough.

Gonna take car for a drive and test it. That brace seems to make a bug difference with putting power to ground. Would even help in drag racing.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:35 PM
Racer

Bummer things didn't go as well a you hoped. "That's racin' ". I'm glad your loose bolts didn't cause a more serious problem.

Last edited by Oldsman71; 05-30-2016 at 07:35 PM. Reason: misspelled
Old 05-30-2016, 09:01 PM
Lone Wolf

Bummer things didn't go as well a you hoped. "That's racin' ". I'm glad your loose bolts didn't cause a more serious problem.
The bolts I am referring to only hold the back of the brace, nothing else will happen besides the bolts loosening. Even if a bolt fell out it wouldn't do anything.

Will keep closer eye on it from now on.

Took car for drive today. After letting tires warm up, did some 2nd gear pulls and could not get tires to spin in straight line.

Think the brace being loose was part of problem.

My front tires also aren't best shape. Someone in pro class said he goes through a set of Bridgestone tires every month.

Was hard to keep heat in tires between runs. It must have been 15 minutes atleast between runs. Checked pressure after a run and it only went up 0.5 degrees.

There was a guy driving a honda insight using tire warmers in pits hehe.

Used pyrometer on front tire after 3rd run. Pressure was around 31.5. Outer edges were 110-111 degrees, but middle of tire was only 104. Upped tire pressure to 32.7, but spun more this run. Kept improving my times. Think my best time was with 32-32.2 PSI.

Keeping heat in brakes is also an issue with track pads. Would do better at autocross with street or autocross pads instead.

Need to adjust my seat angle. It is fine without helmet on, but with it on I am forced to lean too far forward.

Big difference between my driving and the pros is consistency. Pros put down similar times every run, whereas I improve as day goes on. This is something I need to improve and work on..

Doing bad isn't all negative. Know what need to do to get better.

Last edited by brian6speed; 05-30-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:57 PM
Lone Wolf

Checked results, and they put me in XP Prepared Class. That is basically most extreme class. It allows more mods than Pro Time Attack Class.

This class is listed as a non-street car class, yet my car is street registered. Full tube frame cars are allowed. No glass windows etc are needed. No Taillights or headlights needed.

Basically I will be only car in this class ever that does not trailer their ride to the events.

Engine mods are unlimited. Transmission mods unlimited. Suspension is unlimited including changing geometries, mounting locations, etc.

Technically all you need is a shell to look like a production car, then plop it down on a tube chassis.

I could even lose another 1000 lbs of weight and still be legal. To compete with fwd car you'd need to be under 2000 lbs like CRX.

Out of all 111 cars with times, my pax factor was highest, meaning I get penalized more than anyone else by getting time added to my runs.

This does not seem very fair to me. Will just have to compare times to other cars and ignore the bs scoring/point system.

Funny part is my Ron Jon Front Lip is technically illegal because if you look at car from above it sticks out past front bumper. Lol oh noes.

Last edited by brian6speed; 05-30-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:21 AM
Lone Wolf

Looks like I'll need to get custom seat side mounts made if I want to sit in proper position. Nothing comes easy.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:25 PM
Lone Wolf

Just wanted to state again that a brace that connects front subframe to frame rails is one of most noticeable mods I have done. It is a night and day difference. If you want to put power to ground you need this. Our subframe must flex a lot.

Forget swapping in a 3.5 motor without this brace, unless you like spinning in place.

The UR brace does not clear oem cat, according to member on here. You would need to modify exhaust, or modify bar or make custom bar.

Bar fit with comptech header and straight pipe in place of cat and my custom exhaust.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:03 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
I can confirm that 3.5 = spinning for days but it was never in place...

Spinning + pulling =
Old 06-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Lone Wolf

More like spinning = I'd most likely be slower with 3.5.

New Super Street Mag is a Honda Special Edition. They had an S2000 with a j32a2 swap and custom header/exhaust. Thought it was interesting that they listed it as making 275whp and 245wtq. That is basically identical to mine, even though their primaries look nicer. Maybe that is about the limit without tuning and removing all power robbing accessories.

Name:  J%20Swap%20S2000_zpsbqsynfa7.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  338.9 KB

Here are the Fastline Performance Replacement Bushings for XLR8 mounts. They only offer 65A and 75A. They claim these are superior to bushings provided from XLR8. Had trouble finding them on the website, but here is link.

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/engine/f...ing.xlr8..html

Wonder if the Spoon Sports Rigid Collar Kit would work on our Cl's. Maybe with this the 4 point mid-brace might not be necessary.

Here is a link for tsx and 3rd gen tl. Fits other models including Odyssey, but no way to confirm fitment without trying.

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/chassis-...-rr1-000..html

Only changed spark plugs once at 75k miles. Now that i am at 130k, thinking about doing spark plugs again.

What do you guys think about these Pulstar Plasmacore Plugs over NGK Iridium?

https://pulstar.com/product/be1h-10/?filtered=684579

Pulstar Spark Plugs, manufactured by Enerpulse Technologies, bring plasma-assisted combustion to consumers with a simple spark plug upgrade. Pulstar uses a patented internal capacitor, developed with the help of a US Department of Energy laboratory, to create a high-intensity electrical pulse that ionizes the air-fuel mixture and saturates it with combustion-enhancing plasma. With its plasma-assisted combustion, Pulstar ignites fuel instantly and burns it rapidly; improving engine performance.

Quicker throttle response
Higher average horsepower and torque
Better miles per gallon (MPG)
Smoother idle
Lower emissions

Do you think the Aim Sports Solo DL with ODBII Ecu Plug will work on CL? Tried messaging Aim Sports, but no reply.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=8781

Last edited by brian6speed; 06-01-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:57 PM
j35/6 Speed Swapped

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Good reading material as always, do you have any recent interior pics? Thanks
Old 06-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by hitek9
Good reading material as always, do you have any recent interior pics? Thanks
Interior hasn't changed much in last few years. What is it you want pics of?
Old 06-03-2016, 02:50 PM
j35/6 Speed Swapped

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Interior hasn't changed much in last few years. What is it you want pics of?
Just a driver view, and view of ur backseat. Just want to get a feel for ur stripped interior. Im rolling around now with just the front seats in, and the blue is kind of nice inside. Think I'm going to keep it that way with just the center console maybe. Thanks
Old 06-03-2016, 03:07 PM
3.5 psi

that S2000 has adjustable cam gears. I thought they would see more power with those.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:03 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by hitek9
Just a driver view, and view of ur backseat. Just want to get a feel for ur stripped interior. Im rolling around now with just the front seats in, and the blue is kind of nice inside. Think I'm going to keep it that way with just the center console maybe. Thanks
K will post a few this weekend.

Originally Posted by gnuts
that S2000 has adjustable cam gears. I thought they would see more power with those.
Didn't even notice the adjustable cam gears. Maybe the TSX IM is limiting factor.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Lone Wolf

Shock Fork Weight Removal

Instead of spending thousands on custom CNC parts, thought why not grind weight away instead. It costs practically nothing.

These forks are beefy and heavy( 3.64 lbs a piece, gasp). Not worried about strength after grinding considering how thick they are and my car weighing less.

Spare Shock Fork

Name:  CL%20Fork_zpsysjvqp85.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  206.9 KB

Shock Fork after grinding cast marks and rust away

Name:  CL%20Fork%20Grinding%20Rd%201_zpspjgbeva5.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  215.6 KB

77 grams removed. Will do 1 or 2 more rounds of grinding. Will powdercoat after.

Last edited by brian6speed; 06-03-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:36 AM
Lone Wolf

Thinking about parting car out. You can pm me if you want any of the parts.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:56 PM
Rawr.

Received 715 Likes on 421 Posts

You went through all of that work to then part the car!?

Old 06-13-2016, 02:10 PM
3.5 psi

No way you'll do that. Are you just bummed about auto X?
Old 06-13-2016, 03:37 PM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
whaaaaaat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03CLS6 Autocross/Track/Street Build Thread