03CLS6 Autocross/Track/Street Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 06:24 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
If anyone wants free Ron Jon lip kit sides and rear let me know. Will not ship, but you can pick them up at my storage unit in Vernon Hills, IL. If no one wants them I'll just toss them, but would rather someone use it. Sides won't work on my car with my jack and height.

Might start a sale thread soon, need money for more parts.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Lone Wolf

Hopefully will have some pics to post this weekend. Working on DIY guide for rear diffuser.

Must say spending hours making brackets and pieces just to realize they won't work after is rather frustrating.
The following users liked this post:
m_rgaan (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
If anyone wants free Ron Jon lip kit sides and rear let me know. Will not ship, but you can pick them up at my storage unit in Vernon Hills, IL. If no one wants them I'll just toss them, but would rather someone use it. Sides won't work on my car with my jack and height.

Might start a sale thread soon, need money for more parts.
If you decide you want to ship them, or at least the sides, I will PayPal you immediately lol.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by m_rgaan
If you decide you want to ship them, or at least the sides, I will PayPal you immediately lol.
Not worth my time or money to ship greyhound. Would rather toss them.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Advanced

Not worth my time or money to ship greyhound. Would rather toss them.
It was worth a shot
Old 11-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Lone Wolf

It was worth a shot
Yea sorry, think have someone local though.

Not sure when I'll have rear diffuser update. Having trouble figuring out how to make whole thing removable and be able to install it by myself with only a jack. The middle section is basically complete. Just trying to figure out a way to mount side sections and still be able to reach all the hardware for the middle section.

The side sections need to mount to middle sections Carbon fiber fins. Almost need to bolt them up after the middle section is already installed. Problem is reaching the bolt heads from one side and nuts from other.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:01 PM
Lone Wolf

Rear Diffuser Construction: Part 1 Middle Section

Diffuser is not complete, but didn't want to keep you guys waiting. Some suggestions welcome.

Decided to build middle part, then mock side sections up after.

Bought most of my supplies from McMaster-Carr

Hardware is all Stainless besides 3 Aluminum Washers.

Aluminum Angle was bought locally. Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's, Ace, etc. all carry angle in 1/16". Noticed at Home Depot they carry 3/4" angle in 1/20" thickness, but only in 8 foot length. Somehow fit it in my Focus.

Bought the 3 Countersunk Aluminum Washers from Titanium, Stainless Steel, Aluminium Fasteners & Motorcycle Bolts | ProBolt
Those washers are only part get from that site. Everything else is overpriced.

Item List:

Tools:
- Jack & 2 Stands
- Clamps
- Dremel, Extension, Metal Cutting Wheels, Sanding Discs
- Rivet Tool(Bought Arrow One from Lowe's)
- Marker & Pencil
- Ruler
- Box Cutter
- Cardboard Boxes
- Tape
- Sand Paper
- Metal Bender(not necessary, only used for 2 brackets)
- Eye Protection(sunglasses)
- Respirator
- Drill & Bits
- Tape Measure
- Hex Keys & Sockets

Supplies:
- 24"x48" 0.063" 6061 Aluminum Sheet(Main Panel)
- 24'x48" 0.05" 6061 Aluminum Sheet(Fins & Brackets)
- 12'x24" 1/16" Carbon Fiber Sheet
- 1/8" Rivets(24)
- Aluminum Angle 3/4" wide 1/16" thick 6' long
- Aluminum Angle 3/4"x1/2" wide 1/16" thick 3' long
- M8x20 Counrersunk Bolt(2) - (will replace with M8x30)
- M8 ProBolt Aluminum Countersunk Washers(2)
- M8 Locknuts(2) - (Using Flanged Hex Nuts in Mock Up Stage)
- M8 Washers(2)
- M5x30 Countersunk Bolt
- M5 ProBolt Aluminum Countersunk Washer
- M5 Washer
- M5 Locknut
- M3x8 Button Head Bolts(6)
- M3x10 Button Head Bolts(16)
- M3x12 Button Head Bolts(14)
- M3 Washers(72)
- M3 Lock Nuts(36)

Carbon Fiber Panel Taped Up to be cut for Fins. Use tape as an edge for the blade/wheel to use as a guide.

Here is what it looks like from behind bumper. Added a small 1/2" Aluminum Angle Wicker. The panel had some flex so this piece also helped straighten it out. Could change to a 3/4-1" Wicker later.

Got email from Grassroots about rear diffusers. It mentions running Wicker at vertical trailing edge.

Link Here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...force-sorcery/

Diffuser from behind. Can see tow hook cut-out & 3 Aluminum Countersunk Washers.

Furthest Back Mounting Point is Rear Bumper Brackets. M8 Hardware used.

Next Mounting Point is by the "trunk hump".

There was already a hole in upper panel, so just drilled through lower panel also. M5 Hardware used. Main Panel rests against the hump.

Here are next mounting points and only brackets I made that have been used so far. Only part used metal bender for. Would recommend against buying economy metal bender, they are worthless almost.

For top drilled holes and riveted brackets on. For bottom used M3 Hardware.

Drilled 2 holes and added 2 small mounting points to subframe. M3 Hardware used.

Still need to mount furthest forward part and maybe add 1 more bracket by passenger side.

Here you can see the mounting bolts from below.

This view shows a good overall shot.

Still a few changes might make.

Might add a wall by exhaust to keep air from flowing off edge.

Might add 2 more fins. This could help with air stall and also block part with exhaust off some.

Noticed after looking at pics that the angle of diffuser seemed too steep. Everything I've read recommends an angle between 5 & 12 degrees.

Tried measuring with a triangle angle tool and it seemed close to 20 degrees.

Added some Nylon Spacers to the rear 2 mounts. This dropped it down to under 15 degrees. Will get longer bolts, then can drop it even more and test different angles.

This thing is pretty damn sturdy. Will get weights also. Next will be the side sections, then move up to more panels further forward. That is all can think of for now.

Last edited by brian6speed; 11-19-2015 at 06:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by brian6speed:
gnuts (11-19-2015), zeta (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 09:49 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Nice work! Impressive craftsmanship. Are the CF fins sturdy?

I guess you won't get to really test it until the springtime. I can't to hear your review.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:19 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by gnuts
Nice work! Impressive craftsmanship. Are the CF fins sturdy?

I guess you won't get to really test it until the springtime. I can't to hear your review.
The CF Fins are very sturdy. It is quality carbon. Same stuff used for mirror panels and switch panel. More rigid than sheet metal for sure. Are you asking because I mentioned mounting the side sections to them? Probably won't be mounting to them on driver side and just a small section on passenger side to rear of muffler with extra support. You can see some of the aluminum support rods hanging in the pics.

Will take all winter to finish all the aero plans, plus few others. Hope my times don't get slower.

More updates to come. All the panels will be removable and will probably end up Powdercoating black.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:42 AM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Awesome work Brian.

Have you weighed the whole assembly yet?
brian6speed (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by AnthraciteTypeS
Awesome work Brian.

Have you weighed the whole assembly yet?
Thanks. Have not weighed anything yet since it isn't finished. Thinking of just disassembling it and dropping it off to be powdercoated(black) once it is finished. That will add little more weight.

Not really that concerned about weight. Would guess 10-20 lbs when done. Used some CF to save weight and tiny M3 hardware. Reminded me of working on RC Cars.

Could have used alumilite or corrugated plastic instead of sheet aluminum. Might be more structural/rigid and lighter.

Would it be/look stupid to make other 4 fins/strakes out of sheet aluminum instead of CF? Not sure can afford making all 6 out of CF. Just the one 12"x24" sheet to make 2 cost me $105 from McMaster.

The rear end gets pretty light under braking. Hoping this rear diffuser, rear lip spoiler, and rear wing combo help with that. The drag and lift reduction should overcome any weight penalty hopefully.

The weight and making car bigger with front splitter could affect autocross. Will try and keep everything removable.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:14 PM
Lone Wolf

Rear Diffuser Mock-Up: Part 3

Want to get opinions. Not sure if a asymmetrical design will look like crap or function well.

Here is what I'm thinking.

Ordered the Aluminum Support Rods from Aerodynamics

Odered (2) 7.5-9" Length, (2) 9.25-11", and (2 custom length) 5.75-7".

Driver Side

Wish could do both sides this way, but the stupid exhaust and muffler.

It would mount to top of middle panel. Then use 2 support rods and 1 bracket connected to bumper beam.

Here is from underneath. Would extend panel almost to the suspension.

Support Rods Mounted to 2 holes in trunk floor. These holes were already there, so why not use them. Had them plugged off before.

Then added a Fin/Strake with a Wicker to try and seperate the turbulent air from tire and keep it out of the diffuser.

Passenger Side

On this side there is not an option of mounting panel above muffler(no room). Only option seems to be to mount to CF piece. Some ppl might want me to do same on driver side for a symmetrical look.

Because it would be mounted to the CF piece, I'd rather it not be so long for structural reasons. Thinking of having it go past rear of muffler.

Support Rods

Need to figure out a mounting/bracket location in this area still.

Might do a separate panel little lower down in this section. Really need to clean my exhaust.

m_rgaan (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Lone Wolf

Mocked-Up a new design for passenger side. Think like this best so far. Little tunnel section looks cool, and it helps match other side more. Will adjust panel under muffler to be flatter(noticed after looking at pic).

Last edited by brian6speed; 11-22-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:09 AM
Rawr.

Received 715 Likes on 421 Posts
I'm no expert in this, but by looking at the width of your wheels, you may need to go wider - no? Now that you're redirecting air, won't there be a considerable amount of lift causing a possible traction issue? I would think your approach will now change as to how you drove prior to this. i.e. braking, coming in / out of corners, etc.

Interested in seeing real world / environment results with your lap times.

kudos to you with the build dude
Old 11-23-2015, 11:48 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by Marcelechka
I'm no expert in this, but by looking at the width of your wheels, you may need to go wider - no? Now that you're redirecting air, won't there be a considerable amount of lift causing a possible traction issue? I would think your approach will now change as to how you drove prior to this. i.e. braking, coming in / out of corners, etc.

Could make it wider(have thought about it). Lots of diffusers end before wheels though. You want to keep that dirty air out of the diffuser IMO. Have been thinking about cutting sides of the bumper to match the cut in rear. Another option is rear bumper canards behind wheels.

Making it wider would mean more material costs, harder to mount and reach hardware, heavier, and might make car footprint longer/wider which would be bad for autocross.

This aero work is to reduce lift, not increase it. If lift is increased I am doing something seriously wrong. It could affect car balance, that is why a front splitter is planned. Can always change things to get desired handling traits.

Last edited by brian6speed; 11-23-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:57 AM
Lone Wolf

Ordered a Sarona Trunk Spoiler today. Decided this option was better than Ebay or Spoiler King. Those are flexible plastic.

Sarona ones are made to order in NY, USA. Made from hand laid fiberglass with Gel Coating. Built to order, so should take 2-4 weeks. The fiberglass should be very stiff/strong and it should fit CL perfectly since it is made for our car. Only negative is they are pricey.

Sarona has 3 options. One is like M3 lip Spoiler, one is bigger and more duck tail, and then the 3rd is quite large.

Went with the duck tail one since it looks like the most effective from aero perspective. Part number is AC-034_TW. This will be teamed up with Aeromotions Wing and rear diffuser. Now just need $2k to buy wing.

Sarona Link:

https://www.sarona.com/Acura/CL/2003

Won't have time or money to tune car this winter sadly. Aero is focus.

Last edited by brian6speed; 11-23-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
Just 10 minutes ago I drove by one of my employee's cars and got to thinking about spoilers, myself. He has an '03-'05 Accord V6 coupe with the OEM flushmount spoiler. The trunk curvature looks similar, as well as the angle of the taillights. I suppose none of that matters if the width is wrong.

Your option is the better fit, but I like the style of that one. It seems to hang off the back of the car more than on top of the trunk lid.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:26 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by JarrettLauderdale
Just 10 minutes ago I drove by one of my employee's cars and got to thinking about spoilers, myself. He has an '03-'05 Accord V6 coupe with the OEM flushmount spoiler. The trunk curvature looks similar, as well as the angle of the taillights. I suppose none of that matters if the width is wrong.

Your option is the better fit, but I like the style of that one. It seems to hang off the back of the car more than on top of the trunk lid.

I was looking more for something to aid aero of rear wing. Duck tail style seems the best for directing air up towards bottom of wing.

Really like the oem carbon fiber lip on my mom's 2013 M3, but it won't fit our trunk without jacking it up. Not wanting to hack up an expensive piece.

Our trunk is a pretty common shape, so could modify lots of options to fit. Plastic would be easiest. Know one person used lip from Volvo.

Have had my eye on Sarona lips for 10 years now, so excited to get one. Removed oem spoiler for test fitting, and was surprised how light it is. Felt like 5 lbs.

Last edited by brian6speed; 11-23-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:15 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by Marcelechka

Because of your post I have been doing more research on rear bumper canards and vortex generators(serve same purpose). It might help the turbulent low pressure air behind tire by creating vortices.

Never imagined this project could take so long. Already spent probably 40 hours on it and not even close to done. From pictures you would think I spent maybe 4-6 hours. If added in research time, it'd be over 100 hours already.

One option would be bumper canards like used for front bumper. They would need to be curved though, not flat. Might be hard to make myself with my limited tools.

Another option would be vortex generators. Would cut side of bumper level with diffuser and mount vortex generator to diffuser.

Here is an example:
http://www.knightracer.com/shop/inde...roduct_id=2814

Could do something like this Varis Side Splitter Fin.
http://www.nengun.com/varis/side-splitter-fin

Last edited by brian6speed; 11-24-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Advanced

I was looking more for something to aid aero of rear wing. Duck tail style seems the best for directing air up towards bottom of wing.

Really like the oem carbon fiber lip on my mom's 2013 M3, but it won't fit our trunk without jacking it up. Not wanting to hack up an expensive piece.

Our trunk is a pretty common shape, so could modify lots of options to fit. Plastic would be easiest. Know one person used lip from Volvo.

Have had my eye on Sarona lips for 10 years now, so excited to get one. Removed oem spoiler for test fitting, and was surprised how light it is. Felt like 5 lbs.
I don't know if you've seen these yet but you might be interested in something like this.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:26 PM
Lone Wolf

Yea looked at those, Spoiler King right?

You have small diffuser, fender flares, etc. Looks like you've been busy.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:30 PM
Advanced

Yea looked at those, Spoiler King right?

You have small diffuser, fender flares, etc. Looks like you've been busy.
Idk. I bought it off some Taiwanese company on eBay but they were super nice. Paint matches perfectly.

Yes! I've been trying to get it more aggressive. Might try to have a company custom fab me a rocket bunny look alike kit for the CL so that the flares are no longer but the look is fine for now. I'm watching your diffuser build as a cheat sheet to modify mine.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:49 PM
Lone Wolf

Idk. I bought it off some Taiwanese company on eBay but they were super nice. Paint matches perfectly.

Yes! I've been trying to get it more aggressive. Might try to have a company custom fab me a rocket bunny look alike kit for the CL so that the flares are no longer but the look is fine for now. I'm watching your diffuser build as a cheat sheet to modify mine.

No fair, I don't have anyone to copy from.

Here is a link to Spoiler King's website. They have 7 trunk spoilers and 4 roof spoilers listed for 01-03 CL.

2001-2003

For rear flares, did you cut the sheet metal? Did you bend/pound the 2 layers of sheet metal together and weld it like recommended?

Seems hard to get rear flares to look right on fwd car. Most are too aggressive and would require trimming. Might just do flares on front only.

Interested in custom flares if you get them made.

Really like the J'S Racing Universal Flares. They are pricey at $370 plus 20 shipping for a pair(2).

J'S RACINGÂUniversal Fender Flare - J'S RACING USA

Another option is having a body shop work a set of front fenders and paint.

Local shop owner made his own flares from sheet aluminum. He bent the flares around tires and bolted them on. Looks pretty good actually.

Really like what was done to this Civic. Custom made flares from CF sheet. They look amazing. Pics at link below.

PURE Tuning - Civic EK K24 Time Attack

Wonder if you would use rigid CF sheet or flexible sheet. McMaster sells both.

McMaster-Carr

Another option for rear diffuser sides could be something like these Varis Universal Vortex Generators(link below shows pic on 3rd gen TL). The panels are roughly 18"x18".

These panels mount up seperately and leave a gap between them and middle section. Not sure how I feel about leaving a gap. Would make mounting easier.

Varis Universal Carbon Vortex Generators | KamiSpeed.com

Cheaper chinese version

VS Style Universal Carbon Fiber Rear Bumper Side Diffuser (Fit All Models For Mitsubishi & Subaru)-in Spoilers from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Ordered a few parts over weekend to try fitting.

Ordered these Password JDM Evo X Canards from Corsport for $110 shipped. They look like the best fit for our bumper curvature. Another good option might be S2K ones. Decided to try them since pre-made would be better than made by me.

2008+ Mitsubishi Evolution X Password:JDM Dry Carbon Fiber Upper Canards - CorSport

Contacted PCI about their Race Spec Aluminum Side Skirts(same company made my floor board). They said longest ones they make are for EK Civic at 75.5" long. CL skirts are 76-76.5". Ordered a set of the 5" skirts from Password JDM for $230 plus shipping. Might need to make custom brackets.

http://passwordjdm.com/PCI-Aluminum-...0477C1926.aspx

Contacted Aeromotions about making custom rear wing. They can do wing in 28", 33.9", or 41" Pitches(this is space between mounting points). They can also do custom pitch for $100 extra.

They mentioned wider pitched wings may be more aesthetically pleasing, but there is a performance decrease the wider you go(from excessive drag & turbulence). Will mock up different pitches, then decide based on rear visibility and aero efficiency. Wonder if trunk mounting would be more sturdy from middle or sides of trunk. They mentioned their very expensive S2 wing(most aerodynamic) comes with a pitch of only 20". Also have option of wing height of 12" or 17".

Last edited by brian6speed; 11-30-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Lone Wolf

Making slow and steady progress on diffuser. Trying to work on it a little every day.

Had a few rivets pop out of the CF fins when working on diffuser, so decided to drill them all out and use M3 hardware instead. This will be more sturdy and allow me to remove angled aluminum for powder coating.

Here is a teaser pic of progress so far.

Got email from Grassroots Motorsports about FWD Autocross article from 2004. Pretty good article, though I do disagree with few points.

Here is the link:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...el-drive-cars/

Think will go with this battery when my Braille fails(been holding up great so far). Will save 10 easy lbs over my current battery.

12V/11Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Ion Battery - Lithium Pros
Old 12-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Lone Wolf

Forgot to mention diffuser weighs 12 lbs how it looks in pic. Should be 14-15 lbs when done including paint and brackets.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Lone Wolf

APR Hood Vent Sale Thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-par...-vents-939553/
Old 12-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Lone Wolf

Another sale thread. Just doing 1 item at a time. Hoping this helps sell easier over a long list in 1 thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-par...arness-939595/
Old 12-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Lone Wolf

Ordered a part off a Lamborghini Gallardo used for 1k miles for my CL. Could not pass up the price. Bet no one can guess what it is.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:51 PM
Advanced

Ordered a part off a Lamborghini Gallardo used for 1k miles for my CL. Could not pass up the price. Bet no one can guess what it is.
Something aero? Let's see uhhh wing? If you say Vertical Doors I'm going to cry.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
wiper blades?!
Old 12-13-2015, 08:10 AM
Lone Wolf

Something aero? Let's see uhhh wing? If you say Vertical Doors I'm going to cry.
Originally Posted by skd2k1
wiper blades?!
Haha. My car has no Wipers so can't be that.

Aero is a good guess, but no. Vertical doors, no. Not my kind of mod.

Some hints:

It will be in interior and in drivers sight. It is made of carbon fiber and should weigh 1/2 the weight of the current item in my car it will replace.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:06 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
rear view mirror
Old 12-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
Gallardos don't have vertical doors anyway.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

steering wheel?
Old 12-13-2015, 08:09 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Gauge surround?
Old 12-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
+1 for new steering wheel
Old 12-14-2015, 08:43 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by skd2k1
steering wheel?
Originally Posted by Scottyknows007
+1 for new steering wheel
Good guess, gave away to many hints. The wheel is full Carbon fiber with hollow spokes. Will weigh under 1 lb.

Won't be working on car much til after new years.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

can't wait to see it installed!
Old 12-15-2015, 09:01 PM
Lone Wolf

Think figured out why wheel was so cheap. It will not bolt to my works bell quick release or momo hub. Shouldn't a Sparco wheel bolt up or is their bolt pattern a little different? All the bolts line up but 2 are slightly off. Do I need Sparco specific hub?

Think wheel might be defective.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:33 PM
Lone Wolf

Yea wheel should fit, but doesn't. Must be defective and reason for sale.

Seller had it listed as No returns, so now gotta see if I can get my money back from ebay or paypal. Will also contact sparco and see if they will exchange it. Fun stuff. I am done buying used parts. New only from now on.

Quick Reply: 03CLS6 Autocross/Track/Street Build Thread