The Official Watch and Timepiece Discussion Thread - Page 10 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

The Official Watch and Timepiece Discussion Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #361
Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsm1th View Post
If a watch is "just" about keeping time for you then you'll just never understand, which is fine, because frankly we don't expect you to. Hell, my cellphone can tell me the time.

However this clearly being labeled a the "Watch Thread", what exactly did you come in here expecting to find?

There are watches, and then there are timepieces.

This is a beauty, but you need to have Popeye's forearms to wear it.

IlliNorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #362
Benchwarmer

^^^

Is this Hamilton "left-handed"? Is there such a thing? I just like the buttons on the left.
IlliNorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #363
Have camera, will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximized View Post
My old Guess watch broke, so I just bought a Citizen.

Cool. Citizen makes a very nice timepiece, probably my favorite quartz watches. I have a Citizen minute repeater that I love. Mechanical versions of repeaters start at around $50K.
waTSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #364
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Acura3.0CL View Post
how much was it for the band? and who is Rob?
Rob is the guy who hand makes the straps to any style you like. Prices range but mine was $189 i think.

http://www.thestrapsmith.com/
Crazy Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #365
Have camera, will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed View Post
^^

.....ok.

Maybe my views will change once I get a career, but I can never imagine myself spending more than three or four hundred dollars for a watch. To you (and others) who have purchased $1,000+ watches, was the watch THAT awesome that you had to get it, and you couldn't find a watch that you liked almost as much or even just as much for much cheaper?
The subject of "expensive" watches can get pretty heated, but it's not that you can't find a relatively inexpensive watch that you like, it's that wearing a fine mechanical timepiece is truly a joy. It's hard to explain to someone who is resistant to the idea, but mechanicals are precision and brilliantly engineered pieces of machinery, and wearing one is very satisfying. They are also items that will last a lifetime if properly cared for.

I have watches covering a wide range of prices, and I love and wear them all, but there's nothing like strapping on the Rollie or Omega...they are just special. If you dig into it a bit, you'll find that watch enthusiasts are as rabid as any hobbyists out there.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #366

Thanked 1,586 Times in 923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waTSX View Post
The subject of "expensive" watches can get pretty heated, but it's not that you can't find a relatively inexpensive watch that you like, it's that wearing a fine mechanical timepiece is truly a joy. It's hard to explain to someone who is resistant to the idea, but mechanicals are precision and brilliantly engineered pieces of machinery, and wearing one is very satisfying. They are also items that will last a lifetime if properly cared for.

I have watches covering a wide range of prices, and I love and wear them all, but there's nothing like strapping on the Rollie or Omega...they are just special. If you dig into it a bit, you'll find that watch enthusiasts are as rabid as any hobbyists out there.
nice post.

While I'm not a hardcore watch enthusiast (can't afford it with my income) I can appreciate the beauty of watches. And I'm sure there's a few watch enthusiasts or enthusiasts of whatever who look at auto enthusiasts and think, "how in the hell can you possibly spend thousands of dollars on a car?"
Costco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #367
Have camera, will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura View Post
http://www.thestrapsmith.com

Normally i would post about a new strap but I was blown away by the experience this time.

I heard so much about Rob Montana that i figure i would contact him to see if he can make me a strap for my Omega PO. He helped with everything and even gave me ideas on how to customize it.

Very fast replies as well which seems to be rare these days. Plus he made the strap and shipped it out very quickly! Im impressed by the quality of it as well.

I dig your PO man, and the strap looks great. The orange is a little loud for my tastes, and that model is a little big for my wrists, but it's sweet watch. Co-axial escapement FTW! I have a Seamaster Pro that I love.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #368
Registered Member

Quote:
The subject of "expensive" watches can get pretty heated, but it's not that you can't find a relatively inexpensive watch that you like, it's that wearing a fine mechanical timepiece is truly a joy. It's hard to explain to someone who is resistant to the idea, but mechanicals are precision and brilliantly engineered pieces of machinery, and wearing one is very satisfying. They are also items that will last a lifetime if properly cared for..
Great post! Let me add as well that watches are fascinating to me simply because they are much more complex and sophisticated than one could thing. waTSX, what other timepieces do you have?
nokiaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #369
Have camera, will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiaman View Post
Great post! Let me add as well that watches are fascinating to me simply because they are much more complex and sophisticated than one could thing. waTSX, what other timepieces do you have?
The two mechanicals I have are a Rolex GMT Master IIc and an Omega Seamaster Professional. I also have a Seiko, a Citizen, a Casio G-Shock and a couple of old Timex Iron Man digitals.

I have my eye on a couple more Rolex models down the line, probably a Submariner and a Datejust, but I'll hold off on those for a while. I've had the Rollie for almost a year now, and it's been hard to wear anything else I like it so much. I wouldn't mind picking up an Omega Aquaterra at some point either.

I agree with you about watches being fascinating. Even the ticking sound can be mesmerizing.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #370
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

I saw this thread pop up again and realize I gave up wearing a watch all together about 8 months ago, kind of depressing having a few nice watches and just letting them sit in the watch winder I should look into selling them, I think I am over the wearing a watch thing, it attracts too much attention.
iTimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #371
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanked 1,525 Times in 924 Posts
What are some reputable online watch vendors with good prices?

I am thinking about B&M, IWC style simple face, single date complication. The time is right for me...

I though about the Rolex, but now that I look, everyone I see has one, and I just don't think it's for me anymore, despite having wanted one for a looooong time.
stogie1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #372
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTimmy View Post
I saw this thread pop up again and realize I gave up wearing a watch all together about 8 months ago, kind of depressing having a few nice watches and just letting them sit in the watch winder I should look into selling them, I think I am over the wearing a watch thing, it attracts too much attention.

Says the guy in a screaming honda s2000.
Crazy Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #373
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie1020 View Post
I though about the Rolex, but now that I look, everyone I see has one, and I just don't think it's for me anymore, despite having wanted one for a looooong time.
Unfortunately a large number of the ones out there are fakes (and bad fakes at that). I sat on a plane with a guy who was admiring my Omega Seamaster. He showed me the Rolex Submariner he had just picked up. I said nice watch as I sat there laughing to myself as the second hand went click click click around the dial.
NSXNEXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #374
Have camera, will travel

Quote:
What are some reputable online watch vendors with good prices?

I am thinking about B&M, IWC style simple face, single date complication. The time is right for me...

I haven't felt comfortable ordering a pricey watch online yet. My usual method is to try to find an out-of-state authorized dealer and do business with them. You usually get a nice discount (depending on the brand) and save on tax.

There's too much risk of getting a gray market watch online, IMO, and there goes your warranty.

All that said, check this website for some answers, because I'm sure there are some reputable online vendors. There's forums for just about every brand and you can post questions there:

http://timezone.com/
Old 11-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #375
Have camera, will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTimmy View Post
Interesting, because I've found people rarely notice what kind of watch you're wearing, unless it's just some over-the-top bling piece. I've worn my Rolex to work every day for almost a year, and it hasn't been spotted yet.

If I was sitting in your shoes, I'd pull those watches off the winder and start wearing them.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #376
Registered Member

Quote:
x2. You should see the watch enthusiasts over on the p-car forums (patek phillipe or bust). I feel so inadequate with my rolex and baume mercier To me, rolex is the watch i always wanted to own and i love strapping my datejust on in the morning the same way i love turning the ignition on in my carrera. I went with the blue face, white gold bezel and jubilee band to be a little different. In my 3 years of owning the datejust, i've yet to see a datejust identical to mine. For the days when i'm tired of the rolex, i strap on the baume mercier which makes an excellent 2nd watch.
Dr. Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #377
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Quote:
Interesting, because I've found people rarely notice what kind of watch you're wearing, unless it's just some over-the-top bling piece. I've worn my Rolex to work every day for almost a year, and it hasn't been spotted yet.

If I was sitting in your shoes, I'd pull those watches off the winder and start wearing them.
My Cartier is hyper blingy and my Alain Silberstein is well, an Alain Silberstein they kind of scream "look at me!" So I guess I have no one to blame but myself.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:10 PM   #378
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura View Post
Says the guy in a screaming honda s2000.
My watches have attracted WAY more attention then my car has, I am some what shocked how little attention people pay to it, that is not a complaint.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #379
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Rick, which BM do you have? I am looking at the Classima Executive Auto or an IWC Portofino.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #380
Registered Member

I ordered my Omega from Topper. Retail was $5800, I paid around $4500, no tax. I am thinking of having Rob make me a strap with ///M stitching.

There is a sponsor on L4P that sells rolex pretty cheaply. I would imagine he likes his sponsorship and you could get in there and rag him pretty badly if he messed up.
achenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #381
Registered Member

Quote:
Rick, which BM do you have? I am looking at the Classima Executive Auto or an IWC Portofino.
Hey, i got the BM Riviera as a graduation gift from my parentals. I like thin, lighter watches (i'm not a fan of the submariner or daytona) cause i'm skinny and also wear gloves all day long. The only complaint i have is the roman numerals (not a fan, my datejust is non-numeral). Is that IWC the one Jamie Foxx had in Miami Vice? That's a ballin watch.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #382
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanks for the links to the retailers, guys!

Rick, the B&M I like:

And the IWC:

Yeah, I like fairly plain, uncomplicated, slim watches. Hasn't been much for me to drool over lately with the recent giant chrono craze.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #383
Registered Member

Ooh, like em both. Clean, simple, elegant Do you prefer leather band>metal? I am washing my hands between patients all day long so prefer the stainless steel band but i like the juxtaposition of those 2 black bands against the silver.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #384
Registered Member

Mine

Old 11-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #385
Needs more Lemon Pledge

^NICE!

I have a cheapo Kenneth Cole with the metal band I really like ('similar' style to you BM, but no angles in the bezel), but I think I would go with the leather for a dress watch. Now I just need to find a more casual day to day watch that isn't full of dials and buttons...
Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #386
Have camera, will travel

Quote:
Thanks for the links to the retailers, guys!

And the IWC:

Yeah, I like fairly plain, uncomplicated, slim watches. Hasn't been much for me to drool over lately with the recent giant chrono craze.
That's a nice IWC. I really like their watches. Many cool models.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #387
Needs more Lemon Pledge

OK, officially shopping now.

Any suggestions on where to purchase a Rolex Submariner (16610)?

How much wiggle room is there in the pricing?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #388
Matt

So woot.com has Nat Geo watches available for $49.99. Are they worth it? I know a $50 watch isn't anything special, but are they decent for the price?

-Thanks
STL+3.0CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #389
Registered Member

Quote:

A sub I would personally buy pre-owned. there are so many out there.

Here ya go. http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-SS-ROLEX-SU...QQcmdZViewItem

the seller is LEGIT and he would prolly also get you a new one at a good discount on a new one if wanted
Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #390
I have Lucy tied up in

Quote:

Pre-owned is for sure the way to go...

Check out www.preownedrolex.com the owners name is Kasey and he is a real stand up guy.

Or if you want to try for a better deal, you can register with www.rolexforums.com and go to their buy/sell section or you can look on www.timezone.com
MisterLinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 PM   #391
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by achenator View Post
A sub I would personally buy pre-owned. there are so many out there.

Here ya go. http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-SS-ROLEX-SU...QQcmdZViewItem

the seller is LEGIT and he would prolly also get you a new one at a good discount on a new one if wanted
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterLinus View Post
Pre-owned is for sure the way to go...

Check out www.preownedrolex.com the owners name is Kasey and he is a real stand up guy.

Or if you want to try for a better deal, you can register with www.rolexforums.com and go to their buy/sell section or you can look on www.timezone.com

Thanks guys. I know pre-owned is a better deal, but for THIS watch I am only going to go brand new. I have a feeling this will become another type of thing I want to collect, and many future ones I will do pre-owned, but for this one, new only.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #392
on to the next one...

I know a couple of people who bought their Rolex's from jewelers online who had reputable brick and motor stores in South Dakota where there is no sales tax. Dunno if that helps.
bgsm1th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #393
Registered Member

Stogie get a sea dweller. Much nicer watch IMO.
zeroday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #394
I have Lucy tied up in

Quote:
Thanks guys. I know pre-owned is a better deal, but for THIS watch I am only going to go brand new. I have a feeling this will become another type of thing I want to collect, and many future
ones I will do pre-owned, but for this one, new only.

I would still register with rolexforums and contact a few of the more reputable sellers. Also look for the acronym "NIB" which stands for "New In Box" there has been a tremendous price increase for ALL new Rolex models and it would be silly to spend 10-15% more on a very expensive item if you don't have to...
MisterLinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #395
Have camera, will travel

Quote:
Thanks guys. I know pre-owned is a better deal, but for THIS watch I am only going to go brand new. I have a feeling this will become another type of thing I want to collect, and many future ones I will do pre-owned, but for this one, new only.
You should expect 10-15% off a new Sub, and I would buy new myself. I don't know if I posted this before, but I can PM you an AD in Carmel, CA who will hook you up if you mention my name. I think you should get at least the 10% from him, plus no tax. Completely reputable bricks and mortar jeweler, and my dealings with him have been first rate. No issues with shipping the watch because they'll insure it.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #396
Have camera, will travel

^^And that's with a USA warranty and the whole kit and caboodle. No gray market items. Beware of any internet dealings you might be considering, especially with Rolex.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #397
Have camera, will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroday View Post
Stogie get a sea dweller. Much nicer watch IMO.
Very nice watch, but the appeal is subjective. The SD is thicker and heavier, and not as iconic as the Sub Date (or no date, for that matter). Both are sweet though, and anyone considering either should try on both before deciding.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #398
Registered Member

I have a sea-dweller and they have been discontinued. I have had misinformed miscellaneous peeps try to tell my my rolex is fake because it doesn't have the bubble on the date LOL.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #399
Have camera, will travel

Lol
Old 03-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #400
Have camera, will travel

The Sea-Dweller may have been discontinued, but they can still be had new at authorized dealers.