The Official Bicycle News and Discussion Thread - Page 7 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

The Official Bicycle News and Discussion Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #241
Living the Dream

I had what I'll call my first official ride today (yesterday didn't happen )
Didn't go very far (only 8 miles) but it's a good start. Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, I hope to come close to doubling it.
cmschmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #242
chips and smokes, lets go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derk's K24 View Post
Ok all. Looking for some suggestions. My GF and I are getting back into exercising and running is a lil harsh on her knees so we figure biking is the next best bet as far as excercise we can do together. We're both looking for primarily a bike that will be rode through neighborhood roads, a few paved back roads and the slight possibility of trails. Best place to buy? Any particular brands? Is around the $150 area reasonable for something good and reliable?
Go to a bike shop - not walmart. An entry level bike usually starts at around $350-$400.
herbalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #243
Senior Moderator

^ the extra $$ is worth the investment.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #244
Excels at nothing

Thanked 1,231 Times in 660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmschmie View Post
I had what I'll call my first official ride today (yesterday didn't happen )
Didn't go very far (only 8 miles) but it's a good start. Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, I hope to come close to doubling it.
I've been working long days ahead of my vacation (which starts tomorrow). I have gone night riding in the local forest preserve the past two nights -- 27 miles on Monday and 16 miles yesterday.

I think my lights (2 x Cygolite MityCross 350) have gained a few non-fans. But I can see every toad that's sitting on the path in time to avoid them, even at 20mph.
svtmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 PM   #245
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanked 1,525 Times in 924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
watch out for the nut jobs out there
http://www.wyff4.com/news/20187786/detail.html#
Good thing for bulletproof bike helmets!

I hope that rider bought a lottery ticket that day, too.
stogie1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #246
Banned

When I was in college, I mowed down at least 3 cyclists who decided not to stop when crossing a street. I know its not chill to stereotype but where I am from people who cycle think they are gods and don't have to obey laws that car/people on foot do, drives me nuts so I never felt bad when I sent one of them flying over the hood, and actually I made one of them fix the dent they put in my fender, lol.
scholtew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #247
Living the Dream

cmschmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #248
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scholtew View Post
When I was in college, I mowed down at least 3 cyclists who decided not to stop when crossing a street. I know its not chill to stereotype but where I am from people who cycle think they are gods and don't have to obey laws that car/people on foot do, drives me nuts so I never felt bad when I sent one of them flying over the hood, and actually I made one of them fix the dent they put in my fender, lol.
You are to cool.
'06 Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #249
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by '06 Arctic View Post
You are to cool.
No my friend, you ride a bike, so you are too cool I'm sure.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #250
Boats and Hoes!

Quote:
Maybe you should slow down a little bit if you've actually ran over 3 cyclists Even if they're in the wrong you should still watch out for them and react accordingly. If someone pulls out in front of you in a car and cuts you off, do you just speed on ahead and rearend them? Maybe keep a better eye out for bicycles because speaking from experience I have almost been mowed down quite a few times due to drivers being dumb and not seeing me, not because I was violating any traffic laws
Mike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #251
Senior Moderator

Quote:
No my friend, you ride a bike, so you are too cool I'm sure.
who's the greater fool here? the cyclists who don't stop while crossing the street or the moron who could kill or maim them for doing so? you should be rotting in jail.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:00 PM   #252
Registered Member

Quote:
who's the greater fool here? the cyclists who don't stop while crossing the street or the moron who could kill or maim them for doing so? you should be rotting in jail.
+1
I'm not saying the cyclists were correct in ignoring the traffic laws, as bikes have to obey these laws also, but to think you are a some kinda tough guy and it was a cool idea to hit pedestrian cyclists while you are in a car? What kinda of fcuked up reasoning is that. Then blatantly state the fact in a Biking thread and expect the posters to get a laugh out of his post? What a douche. He is the type of idiot that makes me think twice about riding my road bike.
'06 Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:19 PM   #253
Banned

Ok I just want to lay out a couple of scenarios here for you people who think I should be rotting in jail.

Scenario 1: I am stopped at a stop sign, trying to turn left onto across 3 lanes of traffic, Ive been waiting a while, trying not to be a dick and cut anyone off or pull out in front of any traffic and cause an accident. My path finally clears and I start to move forward and make my turn when a guy on a bike, decided not to stop at the intersection on my right hand side and plows into my passenger side fender, leaving me with scratched paint and a big dent. If he would have stopped like he was supposed to, or had been riding in the bike lane instead of the sidewalk, this incident never would have happened.

Scenario 2: Driving home from work down Cornelius Pass, a well know treacherous road here in Portland, I come around a blind corner, going the speed limit, when I see a biker deciding to leave the bike lane and take the corner wide, moving into the center of my lane. I smacked into his rear tire and sent him flying, who's fault is that, the guy in the car or the dick who decided to leave the bike lane?

All I am saying is that when I am in my car I HAVE to obey the laws, bikers seem to think that because they are on a bike they have no rules, If I were to decide to leave my lane and take a corner into oncoming traffic people would be dead. If I decide to blow a stop sign and t-bone other cars people would be seriously hurt. Thanks all I am saying, didn't mean to get any of your tiny spandex in a wad, so chill out, obey the laws like the rest of us and everyone will be fine.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #254
Senior Moderator

next time provide facts before you spout off and make yourself look like a fool.
if you knew how many close calls we've had because of inattentive or inconsiderate motorists you might have a different perspective on why it's a sensitive subject in here. Most of us are responsible and obey the laws.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #255
Banned

^^ Word I can respect that
Old 07-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #256
Registered Member

Quote:
While I am not going to condone inattentive driving, I've observed many bicyclists over the years that do not observe traffic laws, and put their lives and others in jeopardy. If the bicyclists did not yield, and he unavoidably hit them, then don't see why he should be rotting in jail. Now if there was malice, or even negligence in his actions, then rotting in jail seems like a good solution.

Nevermind, seems all was cleared up. Forgot to his the old "submit" button until now.

Last edited by jayhawk815; 07-31-2009 at 04:41 PM.
jayhawk815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #257
Excels at nothing

Thanked 1,231 Times in 660 Posts
Quote:
Ok I just want to lay out a couple of scenarios here for you people who think I should be rotting in jail.

Scenario 1: I am stopped at a stop sign, trying to turn left onto across 3 lanes of traffic, Ive been waiting a while, trying not to be a dick and cut anyone off or pull out in front of any traffic and cause an accident. My path finally clears and I start to move forward and make my turn when a guy on a bike, decided not to stop at the intersection on my right hand side and plows into my passenger side fender, leaving me with scratched paint and a big dent. If he would have stopped like he was supposed to, or had been riding in the bike lane instead of the sidewalk, this incident never would have happened.

Scenario 2: Driving home from work down Cornelius Pass, a well know treacherous road here in Portland, I come around a blind corner, going the speed limit, when I see a biker deciding to leave the bike lane and take the corner wide, moving into the center of my lane. I smacked into his rear tire and sent him flying, who's fault is that, the guy in the car or the dick who decided to leave the bike lane?

All I am saying is that when I am in my car I HAVE to obey the laws, bikers seem to think that because they are on a bike they have no rules, If I were to decide to leave my lane and take a corner into oncoming traffic people would be dead. If I decide to blow a stop sign and t-bone other cars people would be seriously hurt. Thanks all I am saying, didn't mean to get any of your tiny spandex in a wad, so chill out, obey the laws like the rest of us and everyone will be fine.
So, I'm not familiar with the roads where you drive but I don't quite understand scenario 1. Seems the biker was on a road where he didn't have to stop since you were waiting for traffic to clear? Wouldn't he then have the right of way?

And in scenario 2 -- is the cyclist required to use the bike lane? Or does he also have the option of using the traffic lane if the bike lane is not safe (strewn with debris, etc.)?
svtmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #258
Senior Moderator

Finally got out to Hyrdocut today. It is pretty sweet. I am getting over the flu, so I took it easy and didn't go crazy. There are boat loads of trails still out there for me to explore in the near future. I am super pumped.

Now back to Toronto,...to ride with my best friend lol.

Last edited by West6MT; 08-02-2009 at 01:25 PM.
West6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #259
Community Architect
robb m.

Cyclists are NOT required to ride in a bike lane. We have as much right to take up an ENTIRE lane as any car.

Scholtew you Sir, are a jackass who does deserve to rot in jail.

Hitting ANYTHING from behind is the driver's fault, not the person who got hit. You are required to be in control of your vehicle at all times, this includes stopping in time to not hit people who stop, or change lanes in front of you.
astro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by West6MT View Post
Finally got out to Hyrdocut today. It is pretty sweet. I am getting over the flu, so I took it easy and didn't go crazy. There are boat loads of trails still out there for me to explore in the near future. I am super pumped.

Now back to Toronto,...to ride with my best friend lol.
How were the trails? I heard someone on another forum saying that because of all the rain this past week the trails would not be ready to ride until Monday.

I got out to Albion yesterday for the first time since the re-build day and the trails were great. I'm going to go ride the Don this afternoon and am still undecided about tomorrow. Might do a road ride. I'm lovin' the weather this long weekend. It's about time!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #261
Senior Moderator

Got a "new" OG BMX bike yesterday. It's a Hutch Pro Raider circa 1984 or so. It's rideable now but needs a brake. It was sitting on the side of the road with a Free sign on it. My GF scored it.

I'm going to pimp my Robinson out and fix up this Hutch to ride as well. Pics to come...
mattg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #262
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg View Post
Got a "new" OG BMX bike yesterday. It's a Hutch Pro Raider circa 1984 or so. It's rideable now but needs a brake. It was sitting on the side of the road with a Free sign on it. My GF scored it.

I'm going to pimp my Robinson out and fix up this Hutch to ride as well. Pics to come...
Dude one of my friends growing used to race on an old school Hutch Pro Raider every now and then! I always loved that bike. He also had an original SE PK Ripper, but he cracked the chainstay welds like an idiot.. Def post pics of it when you get it fixed up.
mcflyguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #263
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbalist View Post
How were the trails? I heard someone on another forum saying that because of all the rain this past week the trails would not be ready to ride until Monday.

I got out to Albion yesterday for the first time since the re-build day and the trails were great. I'm going to go ride the Don this afternoon and am still undecided about tomorrow. Might do a road ride. I'm lovin' the weather this long weekend. It's about time!
The trails were great,...totally dry except the odd little patch where is was a bit soft. There were some tread marks in those patches from ppl that rode when it was a bit wet still I guess, but now they are fine to go over. Great riding.

Nice, get some road action in there dude.

I wanna go to kelso soon. My friend showed me how to bunny hop today LOL. I never knew how to do it, but I picked it up pretty quickly today. Just gotta practice a lot in the future.

Last edited by West6MT; 08-02-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #264
Senior Moderator

The Hutch. I've started the clean up process and put on my old Mt. bike grips.

My Robinson. Have owned since new. This baby is going to get the full restore. I will probably powder coat instead of re-chrome though.

This is me getting a trophy on the Robinson after an ABA race at Riverside park in Clackamas OR. Maybe 1987ish?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by West6MT View Post
The trails were great,...totally dry except the odd little patch where is was a bit soft. There were some tread marks in those patches from ppl that rode when it was a bit wet still I guess, but now they are fine to go over. Great riding.

Nice, get some road action in there dude.

I wanna go to kelso soon. My friend showed me how to bunny hop today LOL. I never knew how to do it, but I picked it up pretty quickly today. Just gotta practice a lot in the future.
Don trails were nice this evening. Heading to Kelso tomorrow afternoon.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #266
Senior Moderator

I hate you ^^

jks
Old 08-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #267
Banned

Last edited by mattg; 08-03-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #268
I have three pedals in

Quote:
Come say that to my face you piece of shit mother fucker, I beg you please do, please. I will fucking own you and all your faggy bike riding spandex wearing friends, people like you like to talk a bunch of shit online and never back it up, ill give you my address, please show up and tell me this to my face, I have been to jail and I'm not scared to go back.
spdy0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #269
Senior Moderator

you're time on this site is over, scholtew.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #270
Registered Member

Sound like scholtew needs to go back to jail anyhow being that he likes to mow down innocent people on bicycles wearing there faggy spandex and not backing there shit up online. What a tool.

On another note that hutch looks practically brand new. And it's a shame when you can recognize old Tioga Comp III tires just by how the sidewall looks on the Robinson. I think you should powdercoat it white and get some OEM stickers if you can find anyone selling them still. Anyhow both are great bikes! I also used to race ABA BMX, but not back in the era that you did obviously.
mcflyguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #271
Senior Moderator

I was thinking white for at least the frame. I think a red/white/blue theme would be appropriate for the Robinson. They have the sticker sets on Ebay & BMXmuseum.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #272
Emerging Vendor

Sweet thready!

I have an 06 (?) Epic comp in test-bike green color, soon to be upgraded to a 2010 Epic frame with special-order color package (top secret ) carbon bars and new wheels:

Also in my stable, an increasingly dusty Gary Fisher Rig, niner single speed

"From show to go, street to track, apex to exit, and to work and back...Heeltoe's in your corner!" - Marcus
MrHeeltoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #273

^ Nice bikes. When you get the new epic post pics.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #274
Emerging Vendor

Yeah I can't wait for it....the color scheme is going to be uber sick one of a kind. My brother in law works for specialized so he got me way hooked up!
"From show to go, street to track, apex to exit, and to work and back...Heeltoe's in your corner!" - Marcus
Old 08-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #275

Sweet hook-up. You going carbon?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #276

Also, isn't the headtube on the new epic tapered? Meaning that it's only compatible with Specialized's Future Shock fork.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #277
Recruits for Satan

Damn

I take a short break from Acurazine and see what I miss.
Beelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #278

^Looking to converse with scholtew?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #279
Emerging Vendor

yeah I think I might be getting a new fork too if I can swing it.

Can't do carbon, not any green for that. Staying alloy until I get rich
Old 08-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #280
Recruits for Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbalist View Post
^Looking to converse with scholtew?
God no.

He deserved what he got. I have had enough close calls with assholes on the road, just because they out weigh me by over 20 to 1 they think we don't have any right to the road.
Beelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote