The Official Bicycle News and Discussion Thread - Page 5 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

The Official Bicycle News and Discussion Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #161
Recruits for Satan

Adam has the Roubaix.
Beelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #162
Senior Moderator

<style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Wingdings; panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Wingdings; panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;} @font-face {font-family:Tahoma; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-priority:99; color:blue; text-decoration:underline;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-priority:99; color:purple; text-decoration:underline;} p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate {mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char"; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; font-size:8.0pt; font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";} span.BalloonTextChar {mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char"; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-link:"Balloon Text"; font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";} span.EmailStyle19 {mso-style-type:personal; font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"; color:windowtext;} span.EmailStyle20 {mso-style-type:personal; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; color:#1F497D;} span.EmailStyle21 {mso-style-type:personal-reply; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; color:#1F497D;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> <o:p>Check this out. The reference to Swami's is a fast bike club usually populated with Pro's, cat 1&2s. Sorry but I didn't include the pictures so use your imaginations...
</o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Climb to Kaiser is one of Bicycling magazine’s “Top 10 Toughest Rides” (#3, I believe); it starts in the central valley just outside Fresno at an elevation of 365ft and climbs 83 miles into the Sierras up to Kaiser Pass at 9200ft, with sustained grades of up to 15%. Then you have to turn around and ride 70 miles back. On a summer day in Fresno. The ride logo is very appropriate:<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

The goal for this ride is to finish in under 12 hours; sounds easy, huh? Swami Tim & I rode this for the first time last year and it nearly killed us! 12 hours, 27 minutes. We trained hard this spring and had a good Breathless Agony ride in May so we felt well prepared for a better performance this year and made the trip up hwy 99 on Friday, ready for an early start on Saturday morning.<o:p></o:p>
Before dawn, 265 riders assembled outside Alta Sierra Middle School in Clovis, ready for a long, long, day. I had my camera with me and took some shots along the way.<o:p></o:p>
Clovis, 365ft ASL, 5:30am, 65f:<o:p></o:p>

One thing I noticed was that all the riders looked skinny and fit; Kaiser is not a novice’s ride! At the front of the pack was a CHP motorcycle to run the lights and help us get out of town, together with the Sierra Pacific race team who would set a punishing 28 mph pace for the first few miles for those who wanted to hang and draft them.<o:p></o:p>
At 5:30am a horn sounded and the race was on! Last year we chose not to stay with the front pack, but a year of riding with Swamis gave us the confidence to sit in the front and roll along at race pace, with the miles spinning by impressively fast!<o:p></o:p>
Tim (#252) sitting in the Peloton at 28 MPH<o:p></o:p>

The flat roads lasted for about 20 miles before we hit Wildcat Canyon and the grade started to kick up; it was a four mile climb at a steady 5% with a few short 12% pitches thrown in just for fun. At the top of the climb, after 28 miles and 1 hour 20 minutes of riding we reached the first rest stop which we rode through and headed down into Burrough Valley, with a tricky descent and fast climb which took us to the base of Tollhouse Grade.<o:p></o:p>
We reached the second rest stop at mile 43 in two hours, with 2600ft climbed. After taking care of fuelling and shrinkage we rolled out onto the first big climb of the day, Tollhouse grade. This is equivalent to South Grade at Palomar; 2700ft of ascent in 7 miles. It’s a steady climb at 8%, with no steep pitches and wonderful mountain views all around. The scenery was one of the highlights of this ride; it’s a particularly beautiful part of the state. We hooked up with other riders on the hill and chatted our way to the top.<o:p></o:p>
Spinning up the Tollhouse Grade:<o:p></o:p>

We rolled into the 55 mile rest stop at Shaver Lake in a little under 4 hours, with 6300ft climbed. We were feeling good and we were on target for a 12 hour finish time. There were a few miles of rolling roads to follow before we reached the major challenge of the day: Big Creek Grade! This climb is A Big Deal with 1800ft of ascent in 3.6 miles and has a fearsome reputation; the ride organizers know this and do what they can to let you know what’s coming when you reach the little town of Big Creek.<o:p></o:p>
Here’s your sign… Big Creek, 4300ft ASL, 7500ft climbed, 10:30am, 85f:<o:p></o:p>

As you begin the climb the magnitude of what’s ahead becomes painfully obvious.<o:p></o:p>
Big Creek Grade:<o:p></o:p>

Yes it really is that steep, constantly, for almost four miles! The grade is a minimum 10%, with one half-mile stretch at 15%. It didn’t help that the road was on an exposed mountainside with the late morning sun beating down; it took us 45 minutes to grind up the hill at a pathetic 5mph. This is where I realized that a full size crank was a big mistake on this ride; Tim had wisely fitted a compact and was able to easily spin away from me. We were both very relieved to reach the top and also quite happy to have defeated this infamous climb once again!<o:p></o:p>
The summit opens up onto a scenic plateau at Huntingdon Lake; we rolled into the rest stop at 11:40am after six hours, 75 miles and 9750ft of ascent.<o:p></o:p>
Andy & Tim at Huntingdon Lake, 7000ft ASL, 11:30am, 75f:<o:p></o:p>

After a quick stop there was only one major climb left, 2000ft in 8.8 miles to the summit of Kaiser Pass. It was a quiet road, well maintained and not too much of a grade, maybe 4% for about six miles, then the grade started to ease off. First timers think that they are in for an easy run to the summit, but it’s a trap for the unwary; with two miles left to ride we passed a rusty snow gate and the road narrowed to an unmaintained single lane, with gravel, pot holes and ruts. There was even a little stream of water that had been running across the road long enough for slimy algae to grow… we took note of this for the descent to follow! The grade kicked back up to 12%, which at >9000ft altitude makes you wonder what happened to your other lung… and I was cursing my gearing once again!<o:p></o:p>
Hey, I look just like Lance on Alp D’Huez! Almost there…<o:p></o:p>

Finally, waving flags and clanging cowbells heralded the summit! 83 miles ridden, 11,800ft climbed.<o:p></o:p>
Kaiser summit, 9200ft ASL, 1:00pm, 65f:<o:p></o:p>

Wow, what a relief!<o:p></o:p>
After hanging out at the rest stop for a few minutes relaxing and refueling it occurred to us that we had only done half the ride distance and we had better get moving if we were to reach the finish line in 12 hours. The first two miles of descent were carefully slow, with brakes squealing in protest as we kept our speed under close control on the crappy road surface. Once we passed the snow gate we got back up to proper descending speed and had some fun drafting each other on the way down J<o:p></o:p>
Unfortunately it wasn’t downhill all the way; we still had 2300ft of climbing to do! In order to get back to the Shaver Lake rest stop we had to ride Tamarack Ridge; “3 little climbs, then you’re done” it said on the route sheet… only none of the climbs were little, and there were four of them! We grumbled and griped our way back to Shaver Lake at mile 112, with 13,400ft climbed, where the very cool volunteer crew soon had us smiling again. <o:p></o:p>
The temperature had risen really fast as we descended from Kaiser Pass; we were told that the temperature in Fresno was 106f and wasn’t expected to drop any time soon so we drank lots of ice water and swallowed fistfuls of Endurolites; those pills are lifesavers on hot days!<o:p></o:p>
The final 43 miles was mostly downhill, only 700ft of climbing. One of the descents was an awesome ten miles, 2500ft down good quality pavement from Bald Mountain to Prather; the downside was a very rapid rise in temperature; the roadside thermometer in Prather said 110f and dehydration was now a serious danger, but we were racing the clock and so we put our heads down and hammered along as fast as we could, covering 12 miles from the base of the mountain to the last rest stop in 30 minutes!<o:p></o:p>
Many riders DNF’d at the final rest stop at mile 142 because they just couldn’t face the final 13 miles in the unforgiving heat. Cold towels, popsicles, Mountain Dew, more Endurolites, more ice water; we loaded up as much as we could and at 4:30pm we headed out for the final time, looking forward to the finish line back in Clovis. We hooked up with Kevin, a lone rider who was grateful for the opportunity to sit in a pace line and we swapped short pulls all the way back.<o:p></o:p>
At 5:10pm we rolled across the finish line (45 minutes faster than last year :-) and checked in to complete this epic ride once again. There was a BBQ dinner at the finish line where we hung out with other riders and swapped tall tales of our mutual suffering!<o:p></o:p>
I have to say that this is unquestionably the hardest road ride I have ever done; the Death Ride pales by comparison, mainly due to the outrageous grades and crippling heat. However, it’s a very satisfying feeling to complete the ride and achieve a good result.<o:p></o:p>
The Stats:<o:p></o:p>
Distance: 155 miles<o:p></o:p>
Ascent: 14,200ft<o:p></o:p>
Time: 11 hours, 41 minutes<o:p></o:p>
Calories burned: 8000<o:p></o:p>
The official results won’t be posted until after the 4<sup>th</sup>, but based on last year’s times we should be in the top 20 finishers.<o:p></o:p>
Ride on!<o:p></o:p>
- Andy<o:p></o:p>
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #163
Registered Member

That sounds awesome. I think I would have DNF'ed on the first few climbs!
'06 Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #164
Registered Member

What would be a good beginner road bike for around 2k?
nokiaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #165
Senior Moderator

^ too many choices to list. go to a 2 or 3 bike shops and start riding bikes and see what you like. report back when you've narrowed it down to a few bikes.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #166
In the Mid-South meow

Thanked 1,215 Times in 710 Posts
Wow, my legs hurt just reading that. Sick!!!
SuperTrooper169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #167
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiaman View Post
What would be a good beginner road bike for around 2k?
You will find that mfr's build bikes using the same basic components for a certain price point. IE-Trek/Giant/Fuji etc will have bikes around your price objective with perhaps Shimano 105/Ultegra components. So a lot of times your choice of a bike of course is premised on fit which is paramount coupled with the best bang for the buck you can get component wise. Look at component groups' websites and you'll see which ones are best in a line, e.g.-Shimano Dura-Ace/Ultegra SL/Ultegra/105 in descending order.
Chief F1 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #168
Community Architect
robb m.

astro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #169
Recruits for Satan

OK Robb.

I'll bite.

What did you do?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #170
Boats and Hoes!

I decided to start riding alot again this summer. I was riding a costco bought Mongoose, about 10 years old, RST front suspension, but way too small for me as I am 6'3", so I came across this bike off craigslist. It's a 2002? Specialized Hard Rock with 100mm rock shox, and everything works great on it. It's a large frame, and I managed to pick it up for only $60. I swapped the new tires and puncture resistent tubes I just bought off my old bike and put new grips on it, the frame and seat bags, led light and speedometer. I abolutely love this bike and I rode it 210 miles in the past 3 weeks, mostly on road with some trail riding.

My other bike is a Schwinn Freestly BMX that I currently have for sale on craigslist for $150. I have lost interest in BMX and havent ridden it in 4 or 5 years. I have about $600 into this bike but I can't manage to sell it.

Mike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #171
Excels at nothing

Thanked 1,232 Times in 661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
OK Robb.

I'll bite.

What did you do?
Whatever it was, it looks expensive.
svtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #172

Thanked 1,585 Times in 923 Posts
anyone else have problems loading this thread? Its the only thread on AZ that looks like this so far...

Costco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #173
chips and smokes, lets go

Smashed a CF wheel?
herbalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #174
Community Architect
robb m.

I hit a pothole while motorpacing the other day and destroyed my carbon wheel A nice training ride turned into an ~$800ish kiss. Not very happy.

In other news, ripped off a PB in a 35km TT last night, 54:11. Not bad for no carbon wheels and using a road bike
Old 07-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #175
Excels at nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
I hit a pothole while motorpacing the other day and destroyed my carbon wheel A nice training ride turned into an ~$800ish kiss. Not very happy.

In other news, ripped off a PB in a 35km TT last night, 54:11. Not bad for no carbon wheels and using a road bike

Holy shit you're pretty fast. My old legs have only managed a 1:08 for a 40k.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #176
Recruits for Satan

Robb that is amazing.

I just got back from a 100 mile ride which I did in 4:45
When I was with the group and not riding to or from the ride we averaged 22.4mph.

A bunch of the people in this group today are doing final preperations for the Lake Placid Iron Man. There were 15 people on the ride and only 1 woman, and she kicked our asses. Every time she got to the front the pace would pick up to 27 to 30 mph. By the end of the ride it was only 7 of us.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #177

Jesus Christ you guys average 22 mph? or more?

I need gears
Old 07-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #178
chips and smokes, lets go

^What's your ratio?
herbalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #179

since I'm pretty much single speed its 47T chainring and 17T cog.... 700c tires. I don't know how accurate the iPhone application I have is, but I was averaging 12mph on a calm ride last night. It just seems like doubling my pace would be intense!
Old 07-04-2009, 12:02 AM   #180
Senior Moderator

what kind of watts are you guys pumping out?
Old 07-04-2009, 12:21 AM   #181
Excels at nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
what kind of watts are you guys pumping out?
My threshold is around .00000023 gigawatts.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #182
Recruits for Satan

Amazing stage around Monaco today.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #183
Community Architect
robb m.

Did some hills today, fun ride. Lots of time to recover while waiting for my buddies to get to the tops
Old 07-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #184
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Robb that is amazing.

I just got back from a 100 mile ride which I did in 4:45
When I was with the group and not riding to or from the ride we averaged 22.4mph.

A bunch of the people in this group today are doing final preperations for the Lake Placid Iron Man. There were 15 people on the ride and only 1 woman, and she kicked our asses. Every time she got to the front the pace would pick up to 27 to 30 mph. By the end of the ride it was only 7 of us.
I ride with a group entitled the NFBC which stands in reality, for the Niagara Frontier Bike Club. We have modified that title to stand for No Friends Bike Club b/c if you get hung out on a paceline, it's syonara bye bye as no one will wait. We've had some great rides at high speeds (20-27 for some good sized hills) where I've hung w/ lead group but a couple times I bonked bad and my "friends" were gone!!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:46 AM   #185
Recruits for Satan

Robb

What program is that?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #186
Community Architect
robb m.

Mark, it's called RubiTrack. OS X only.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #187
Excels at nothing

Nice work by Astana today. They're now in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th with Armstrong out of the yellow jersey by only a fraction of a second.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #188
Community Architect
robb m.

I think Lance sat up so as not to take the jersey.
He clearly sits up and shifts gears before he crosses the line. I bet he knew where he was at.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #189

So I've had some really shitty luck the past few days in regards to riding. I like going on night rides and even though I have a pretty bright light, sometimes I don't see all the debris on the road.

We forgot to take another picture but it was a HUGE nail. The picture only shows half of it, the rest is embedded in the tube. I have no idea how it got stuck in there, because I never saw it. It's in the rear tire too. A guy in front of me thinks he ran something over because he heard 'clinking', then shortly afterwards I got my flat. We ended up using 4 glueless patches total because there were multiple holes, 3 on one side of the tube and another on the other side. It was fine until I got about 10 miles from home, when we were riding on a road with a bunch of small rocks. Ended up riding it out to a friend's house and had to get picked up

A real FML story for sure, especially if you were there. Each time we patched it, it ended up losing pressure and we had to unseat the tube again. It was cold as heck that night, and some of us were wearing shorts and thin jackets.

All of this came the day after I got a pinch flat from riding next to some dumbass who followed way too close to me. We were coming up on some railroad tracks with huge bumps protruding near the sidewalk. I tried moving over but the idiot was so close that I probably could have reached back and bitchslapped him (in hindsight, I should have). I had to cut back on my lean and I ended up bouncing on the bumps so hard that the guy in front of me heard it, went WTF and looked back. Tried using 2 patches, but it didn't work so I walked my bike 3 miles to my friend's house, got a new tube put in, and rode home.

When I got that third flat near my friend's house, I didn't just feel the tube deflate, I felt my will to ride deflate. What shitty luck. I'm apprehensive but I'm going to the bike shop to buy another tube today.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #190
Recruits for Satan

I always ride with 2 tubes + patch kit, and tire boot. CO2 and a small pump. After getting 3 flats on one ride years ago I vowed never again.

1 tube attached to the small pump in my jersey and a shrink wrapped tube in my saddle bag along with the tire levers and CO2.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #191
Excels at nothing

I haven't had a flat since I started running Specialized Armadilllo Elite tires a year ago. They are $60 per tire but IMO well worth it. I used to get a flat every 2-3 weeks before that. I still carry a flat kit though because there's no such thing as flat-proof.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #192

Quote:
I always ride with 2 tubes + patch kit, and tire boot. CO2 and a small pump. After getting 3 flats on one ride years ago I vowed never again.

1 tube attached to the small pump in my jersey and a shrink wrapped tube in my saddle bag along with the tire levers and CO2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtmike View Post
I haven't had a flat since I started running Specialized Armadilllo Elite tires a year ago. They are $60 per tire but IMO well worth it. I used to get a flat every 2-3 weeks before that. I still carry a flat kit though because there's no such thing as flat-proof.
This is why I love this thread.... a few months ago I had almost no idea what I was doing, what did what. Now I learn and discover new things everyday. Those are great ideas, I considered getting a saddle bag but now I'm definitely getting one. I joked around about getting steel belted radials if they made them for bikes, but now I'm really considering shelling out the extra, since getting a flat sucks so much and people have a lot of good things to say about those Armadillo Elites. I too, vow... never again.

Luckily that night I had patches, one person had tire levers, and another person had CO2. My pump happened to be on my mountain bike. In the future I hope to have everything I need for almost any situation.

I'd never heard of a tire boot before, but I did a bit of googling and found something that I hope will help someone else out in an emergency. I'll still consider getting a tire boot too but this seems like a good alternative just in case:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4414062_bo...intenance.html
Old 07-13-2009, 09:09 AM   #193
Senior Moderator

I did the $1 bill trick a few weeks ago when my tire had a nice slice put in it. Got me home!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #194
Recruits for Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan View Post
I did the $1 bill trick a few weeks ago when my tire had a nice slice put in it. Got me home!
That works in an emergency. The tireboot allows you to get back to full pressure, the dollar bill (or $5) works but you cannot get to full pressure in high pressure tires.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #195
Registered Member

Ok, a little part of me is dying inside just typing this post, but what would all be involved in converting my road bike from a double to triple chainring upfront? Is it even possible? Would i need a new crankset in addition to the third chainring and new front derailleur? or would it just be better changing out the two changes rings currently on there. My ass just needs to start to ride more to get my fitness back up, but I just can't seem to climb like i used to be able to. Current set-up is stock from when i bought the bike, Shimano 105 crankset, 39/52T. Rear cassette is 9 speed, 12-25 teeth.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #196
Community Architect
robb m.

Forget about adding a triple, you need too much stuff. I'd suggest getting a rear cassette with a 27, or even a 29 tooth cog on it and you'll be groovy.

I like to live on the wild side, I don't carry air with me ever, nor a patch kit. I keep a tube in my saddle bag though.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #197
Senior Moderator

triples are for old timers like me o wait, i dont' own a triple
b4 you go with a triple and deal with hassles of shifting the front rings get a compact crank (34x50) installed and if that's not enough gearing get a 12x27 cassette. more importantly ride more to build up strength and endurance.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #198
Senior Moderator

lol a lot of good that tube will do w/o a pump or co2 robb.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #199
Registered Member

Yeah, i figured the triple would be to much and an easy way out. I am going to start riding a lot more to get my ass in better riding shape. I would like to lose some of my muscle mass to get my weight down some, but haven't been able to yet. I have been riding to train for a sprint triathlon that I am doing next weekend, but haven't been riding as much as I would have liked. After the tri I am going to try to ride almost every day as I am doing the LIVESTRONG Philly Century in August and want to finish under 6 hours.

I am thinking of upgrading my component group this winter and will keep in mind the rear cassette. Thanks for the motivation.

Last edited by '06 Arctic; 07-15-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #200
i want to ride my bicycle

awesome, not sure how i've missed this thread, love all the bikes!

here's my only bike i've bothered to take a pic of after I finished it:

also have a '07 stumpy fsr expert and an '06 scattante R660
leftride is offline   Reply With Quote