The Metal/Hardcore thread. - Page 8 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

The Metal/Hardcore thread.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #281
Registered Member

Hopefully the new Megadeth will be good. Engame was great, I have only heard bits and pieces of Thirteen or TH1R733N or whatever, and it was kinda so-so in my book.

By the way speaking of Megadeth I've really been getting back into Cryptic Writings as of late. I know most people would cry foul and say "It's not really metal!" but it's still got some great material on it, IMO. I like Almost Honest, Use the Man, Secret Place, She-Wolf and Trust. As a matter of fact "Trust" was my first metal song back when I was about 11...
Rapture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #282
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Thanked 1,174 Times in 479 Posts
Been rocking A Life Once Lost's Iron Gag for a week or so. Haven't listened to them in sooo long.

Also, unburied some Grip Inc. Im a sucker for pinch harmonics so Portrait of Henry...um, yea.
MarbleGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #283
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Hopefully the new Megadeth will be good. Engame was great, I have only heard bits and pieces of Thirteen or TH1R733N or whatever, and it was kinda so-so in my book.

By the way speaking of Megadeth I've really been getting back into Cryptic Writings as of late. I know most people would cry foul and say "It's not really metal!" but it's still got some great material on it, IMO. I like Almost Honest, Use the Man, Secret Place, She-Wolf and Trust. As a matter of fact "Trust" was my first metal song back when I was about 11...
Yeah I'll admit I'm not too much into the albums from after Countdown to Extinction until like United Abonimations. There is some gold in each record though. If you check out the Greatest Hits album from like 2005 it's a nice sampler. She Wolf and Trust are fixtures on their live setlist and are great songs. But I fell in love with them with the hard stuff like Peace Sells, Rust in Peace, and Killing is My Business and Business is Good. Those are 3 must listen to thrash records. Rust in Peace has the riffs but Peace Sells' guitar work is pure insanity. The solos are insane and nothing beats the build up of Good Mourning/Black Friday.

Th1rt3en I did like but the B sides kind of lose me. When I mean lose me like they're good songs but they just don't hold my attention is all. Public Enemy #1 is a really fun song to play the rhythm part and not stupidly difficult like a lot of Megadeth songs. Sudden Death has a ton of solos and tricky guitar work because it was literally made for the last Guitar Hero. They kept telling Dave to make it harder and harder and he obliged. Never Dead was from the game of the same name and has a nice bassline. Whose Life is it Anyways is another great song. Pretty cool video too. PE#1's video silly with all the monkeys.
Doom878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #284
Registered Member

Yeah I'd say Killing is My Business is one of my favorite Megadeth records. I love that 80's thrash/punk kind of headbanger rhythm.... which seems to be lost in a lot of today's metal and yeah Good Mourning/Black Friday kicks ass, definitely!

I also liked So Far So Good.... So What! too. Dave's got that simple but awesome solo on Hook in Mouth.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #285
Legend

BTW a Super Collidor song officially launches tomorrow. They've been playing songs off the record all weekend on a syndicated metal show but I didn't get a chance to check it out.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #286
Registered Member

Exclamation Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dies of liver failure

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...man-dead-at-49

Quote:
Just over two years after contracting a rare skin tissue disease, Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman died on Thursday from liver failure at a hospital near his home in Southern California's Inland Empire area.

Slayer made the news public on Thursday afternoon, announcing that the band "is devastated" and calling Hanneman, who was 49, their bandmate and brother. Twitter quickly filled with messages from fans and fellow musicians, many of whom were in Los Angeles for the 5th Annual Revolver Golden Gods Awards show at Club Nokia. Disturbed/Device frontman David Draiman was among the very first, posting "RIP TO A TITAN OF METAL," while drummer Mike Portnoy wrote, "WOW...I'm in shock...RIP Jeff Hanneman."

Hanneman has been off the road since early 2011, when he contracted necrotizing fasciitis -- most likely from a spider bite -- a quick-progressing disease that literally eats away at the flesh from deep layers of skin and tissue. Exodus' Gary Holt stood in for Hanneman starting in February of 2011, while Pat O'Brien joined the band when Holt returned to Exodus during 2011.

It's not known what role the disease played in Hanneman's liver failure.

Throughout the ordeal, Hanneman's bandmates expressed optimism that he would one day return to the group full-time. Bassist-singer Tom Araya told Billboard during last year's Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival tour that Hanneman was "free of the disease" and was "working on his playing ability...He's working on strengthening his arm and his ability to play." He predicted that Slayer would "probably get together and start writing together and start making a new album," the group's first since 2009's "World Painted Blood," with Hanneman contributing material.

But in February guitarist Kerry King told Australian press that "we don't know when Jeff's gonna be able to play guitar. Jeff's kind of like a wait-and-see thing."

Born in Oakland, Calif., and a devoted Raiders fan, Hanneman was raised primarily in Long Beach and became fascinated with wars and military campaigns -- themes he'd bring to Slayer's music -- via his father, a World War II veteran, and brothers who served in Vietnam. He met King in 1981 and decided to form their own band, mixing heavy metal and punk influences and signing with Metal Blade Records for Slayer's first two albums, "Show No Mercy" in 1983 and "Hell Awaits" in 1985. The group made an eyebrow-raising move to the hip-hop label Def Jam in 1986 for the covers album "Undisputed Attitude and the classic "Reign in Blood."

Slayer has released seven more studio albums and two live albums, as well as a pair of EPs. They've sold 4.9 million albums in the SoundScan era (1991-present), with the classics "Reign in Blood" (1986), "South of Heaven" (1988) and "Seasons of the Abyss" (1990) accounting for over 2 million of that tally. Ten of their albums have charted on the Billboard 200, with 2006's "Christ Illusion" being the highest debut at No. 5.

Hanneman, an ardent collector of World War II memorabilia, was at the center of the controversy over Slayer's supposed Nazi sympathies, stemming from the resemblance of the group's eagle logo to a Third Reich image and the shape of the S in the group's typography, and from songs such as "Reign in Blood's" "Angel of Death," about German doctor Josef Mengele and his horrific "experiments" at the Auschwitz death camp. But Hanneman frequently explained that the song was in no way intended to glorify Mengele. "I know why people misrepresent it," he told one radio interviewer. "It's because they get a knee-jerk reaction to it. There's nothing I put in the lyrics that says necessarily he was a bad man because to me -- well, isn't it obvious? I shouldn't have to tell you that."

Hanneman's songs have been recorded by groups such as Hatebreed, Children of Bodom, Hellsongs, Cradle of Filth and others, and sampled by rapper Styles-P. He's survived by Kathy, his wife of 16 years, sister Kathy and two brothers, Michael and Larry. Funeral arrangements are pending.

Last edited by Shadzilla; 05-02-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Shadzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #287
Legend

So sad. Saw them in 2010. Dude was a machine.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #288
Registered Member

Thanked 3,365 Times in 1,647 Posts
Mr. Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #289
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,627 Posts
97BlackAckCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #290
L.A. > the rest

Thanks for the memories.

Pic taken in 2011 @ The Big 4 concert in Indio, CA

SLIKRIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #291
Registered Member

Wow. Totally unexpected. He was clearly the best creative force behind Slayer. Very underappreciated too, IMO.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #292
Runs on Dunkin

man. Really freakin' sucked to hear that this morning.
1slo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #293
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIKRIK View Post

Thanks for the memories.

Pic taken in 2011 @ The Big 4 concert in Indio, CA

Great pic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Wow. Totally unexpected. He was clearly the best creative force behind Slayer. Very underappreciated too, IMO.
Absolutely. Everyone talks about Kerry King who is also a phenomonal player. Check this out from the blog of the singer/guitarist of Machine Head, Robb Flynn.

http://www.machinehead1.com/board_posts/jeff-hanneman

Quote:
Still can't believe that Jeff Hanneman from Slayer is dead, things like that just don't happen. Thrashers don't die??!! WTF!!??

I'm not going to sit here and say how him and I were best buds or something, we definitely weren't, I'd barely call us acquaintances, I did 8 tours and over 120 shows with the dude and honestly, I never really got to "know him". I was always closer with Kerry. Jeff was super quiet, really kept to himself, would get rowdy when he was drunk, but was a bit aloof, and seemed annoyed at the people partying around him despite the fact that he himself would be getting hammered.

I can remember some good hangs with him though. The first was in Basel, Switzerland back in November, 1994 when Machine Head was main support to Slayer on the Divine Intervention tour. It was one of those shows were something so random happens it just never leaves you, in this case, the show was sponsored by Chesterfield cigarettes and every kid entering the show got 2 free packs of smokes. I've never seen so much smoke in a venue in my life. I remember walking onstage and yelling at our roadie / everything-guy Mike Scum, "DUDE, turn off the fuckin' smoke machine", he said "YOOOOO, it's not the smoke machine bro, it's the cigarettes!" It was damn near impossible to breath onstage. After the show we were hanging backstage and Jeff walked back, we started bitching about the crazy cigarette show, and he invited me back to the dressing room to grab a beer, we sat down and chatted for a while, and then I went all Slayer-nerd on him and started grilling him on what songs he wrote.

Me: "Who wrote Angel Of Death?"
Jeff: "I did"
Me: "Lyrics too?"
Jeff: "Yep"
Me: "Reign In Blood?"
Jeff: "Me"
Me: "Dead Skin Mask?"
Me: "South Of Heaven?"
Jeff: "Me"
Me: "Black Magic?"
Jeff: "You know it"
Me: "Hell Awaits?"

On and on it went, that man wrote both the music and lyrics to a large goddamn portion of my favorite Slayer songs.
He was a huge influence on my songwriting growing up in particular with arrangements and the bold use of key changes. The one thing Slayer band always had over so many other bands is they were all over the guitar neck when it came to key changes. Leads would be in some of the most random keys ever, but somehow it made it all that much more frantic, and when the chorus kicked back in, BOOM! CRUSHING! Set up perfectly. He was one of the few metal heads I met who never really got into Pantera, he told me he "liked some stuff", but thought they we're "too bluesy at times", and that he "liked more evil notes or sad riffs"

Another good memory was sharing a tour bus on the August 2001 Korean / Japan / Australia tour, it was all fly-dates and hotels, we were sharing crew, tour manager and manager, so we all rode on the bus together to and from the airport to the hotel every day. Sometimes the rides were an hour or two, so you'd just all BS and hang. One time a kid in Australia bum-rushed the bus while we were all sitting in it, hammered after partying one night. He was desperate for autographs and came on the bus screaming (what else?) "SLAAAAAAAAAYYYYYEEEEERRRR!!!" He then saw me and went all, "Oh shit, Robb Flynn, mate I fuckin' LOVE Machine Head, but it's fuckin' SLAAAAAAAYYYYYYYEEEERRRRR", I looked the fucker right in the eye and slurred, "Oh just FUCK RIGHT OFF!!" Hanneman fell out dying, he laughed for 10 minutes straight, cracked him up, that slightly feminine high pitched giggle that he always did.

Dude backed me when Kerry King and I were beefin' all that time long ago, he would come up to me at festivals and would talk, just be normal. He even backed me in Decibel magazine when they asked him about the beef, saying "Robb is a good dude", and that "Kerry was like the girlfriend of the band, always beefin' with someone". I got a good laugh outta that.

The last memory I'll share is from the American leg of the Divine Intervention tour in March 1995. It was Slayer band, Biohazard supporting, and Machine Head opening. We were playing the International Ballroom in Atlanta, Georgia. He had been sitting out some of the new songs from "Divine", which was odd to me. We were hanging out in their dressing room before the show, just him and I, and I mustered up the nerve to ask him what the deal with it was. At first he joked that he just "didn't feel like learning them, didn't like 'em, Kerry wrote them", he was chuckling, and then he stopped. He looked down and got serious. He said he'd been having a lot of pain in his wrists, his hands and wrists were going numb all the time, and would go numb during those songs because they were really fast, then he started to cry. It was a startling confession. I offered some awkward feel-good comment, but he just continued to cry, and I decided to sit there in the silence with him for a minute. He gave me a hug, and said "Whoa!", and laughed, walked out toward the stage, turned back and said "thanks dude".

It was an intense moment, one of those rare, intense moments you have with someone, let alone with someone from another band.

It made me really respect the dude.

That's the Jeff I'm gonna remember.

To Kerry, Tom, Dave, Paul, Rick Sales Mgmt and Jeff's family, my sincere condolences.

R.I.P brother.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #294
Registered Member

I remember the first time I heard Reign in Blood. It was unrelenting. I was always into punk and metal, but I had never heard ANYTHING like that before! The riffs were absolutely mindblowing to a very impressionable pissed off teenager! Well, then I got pissed off again because the whole album was too short! From that moment on, I picked up every Slayer album when they had come out, even made sure to pick up the older stuff too. Although the songs were good on the older ones, Reign is just so clean and powerful in comparison and remains my fave album, followed closely by Seasons in the Abyss.

Aside from Maiden's Live after Death, I gotta say Decade of Aggression was one of the best live albums of all time, IMO.

I was very pissed I was not able to see them during Clash of the Titans tour. When I finally did get a chance to see them, it was at the NYC Big 4 show at Yankee Stadium. Unfortunately, Jeff didn't play with them that night. I know for the Indio show, he did a couple songs. Gary Holt still did a great job filling his shoes, but it just wasn't quite the same. Would have been very cool if he had.

It's weird when you think about it. Looking back, Slayer was the soundtrack to a lot of my life. My kids even know who they are. They bought me a Seasons in the Abyss tab book for Xmas last year. I can't even come close to playing it yet, but always gives me something to shoot for.

This sucks that Hanneman is gone. I am glad that he left us with all the great riffs though. RIP brother.

Last edited by damaged442; 05-06-2013 at 09:35 AM.
damaged442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #295
Legend

War Ensemble. Jesus what a song. WARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #296
I shoot people

Thanked 1,552 Times in 871 Posts
is300eater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #297
Registered Member

No joke. However people were also anticipating something similar when Dio died. iirc the police let them picket....... a few blocks away from all the Dio fans. Then again this is Slayer we're talking about so I'm sure there will be something...
Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #298
L.A. > the rest

Slaaaaayyyyeeeerrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by SLIKRIK; 05-07-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #299
L.A. > the rest

For all the Lamb of God fans out there. Last night.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #300
Legend

LIKE! Details dude. Were you caught in a mosh pit circle and ended up from one side to the other?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #301
My first ricer

350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #302
L.A. > the rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post
LIKE! Details dude. Were you caught in a mosh pit circle and ended up from one side to the other?
yes and yes. but like danny glover and mel gibson, "i'm getting too old for this shit." but i do like to get up close and personal to enjoy the show. made my way up to the barricade and parked my ass there. just gotta make sure to pound the drinks before heading to the floor.

next up, black sabbath & iron maiden!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #303
Registered Member

I haven't listened to Death in a looong time. I have a few of their albums, too... I love their later stuff, mostly. I remember Human, moreso than the others. I should really get back into them....
Old 06-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #304
Legend

Quote:
yes and yes. but like danny glover and mel gibson, "i'm getting too old for this shit." but i do like to get up close and personal to enjoy the show. made my way up to the barricade and parked my ass there. just gotta make sure to pound the drinks before heading to the floor.

next up, black sabbath & iron maiden!
2 months till Sabbath for me! Already got my ticket. I keep missing Maiden.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #305
L.A. > the rest

Quote:
2 months till Sabbath for me! Already got my ticket. I keep missing Maiden.
No Maiden in FL?

My Sabbath show is also 2 months away. Last week of August to be exact... and Maiden/Megadeth/Anthrax is 2 weeks after.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #306
Legend

We actually get Maiden since Nicko owns a restaurant in Palm Beach county. Unfortunately it's a 90 minute drive but well worth it. And holy shit you get Maiden AND Megadeth. Fucking epic.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #307
Registered Member

Lamb of God is so good.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #308
Legend

^I know it's so fucking nuts. I've had days at work where I just play them for 8 hours straight.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #309
Registered Member

Quote:
^I know it's so fucking nuts. I've had days at work where I just play them for 8 hours straight.
Every song is good. I've been listening to metal for a long time. IMO they are the best ever.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #310
Registered Member

Paul Bostaph announced as drummer for Slayer (again). Looks like Lombardo will not be returning.

Lamb of God pics were very cool. Good to see Randy ripping shit up again. Thought he might not make it back to US soil for a while...
damaged442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #311
Legend

Listening to Supercollider now. It's available on my MOG streaming service. Also queued up Queens of the Stone Age new album albeit not necessarily metal. Plus checking out the Five Finger Death Punch song with Rob Halford (metal god/singer from Judas Priest).
Old 06-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #312
Sloth

Thanked 3,793 Times in 2,838 Posts

Loving this new album by Feed Her To The Sharks.

For fans of fast paced metal with melodic clean choruses.
Undying Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #313
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaged442 View Post
Paul Bostaph announced as drummer for Slayer (again). Looks like Lombardo will not be returning.
Kinda makes sense. Dave seemed like he was pretty close to Jeff. I got the feeling (from one of his interviews) that he was mostly only into working with Jeff. He's a real talented drummer, so I wonder what he's gonna do next... People like he and Gene Hoglan are never out of work. At least he's not doing what a lot of aging rockers do and just stick with something solely for the financial stability it brings.

and I could never get into Lamb of God. Never really piqued my interest.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #314

Quote:
Awesome concert awesome shirt! COC one of my favorites...so underrated!

Quote:
Listening to Supercollider now. It's available on my MOG streaming service. Also queued up Queens of the Stone Age new album albeit not necessarily metal. Plus checking out the Five Finger Death Punch song with Rob Halford (metal god/singer from Judas Priest).
How do you like Supercollider? Haven't had a chance to get it yet. Would really like to see Megadeth in concert again.
Scottman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #315
Sloth

Thanked 3,793 Times in 2,838 Posts
Their new album is out!!!

Undying Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #316
Registered Member

just wanted to share my buddys band out of kansas city mo!
but he actually sales cars in wichita ks ^_^ they are amazing!
there album features vocals from impending doom also =D
http://www.
240benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #317
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottman111 View Post
Awesome concert awesome shirt! COC one of my favorites...so underrated!

How do you like Supercollider? Haven't had a chance to get it yet. Would really like to see Megadeth in concert again.
Only got in one play through at work so couldn't fully pay attention. I haven't been driving much since I'm on vacation this week with the kids so no blasting metal either lol. I promise to give more listens in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undying Dreams View Post
Their new album is out!!!

I wish Metal Blade Records would allow streaming so that I can stream these guys (What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse is a fantastic song) and one of my new favorite bands Between the Buried and Me.

Holy shit these guys are sooooooooo fucking good. They're like Prog Death Metal so they're all over the place in style, time changes, and the singer goes from ballady singing to all out growling. I love it. The skill and musicianship of the musicians are so high as they're songs are extremely difficult. One metal publication has their drummer as a top 10 current drummer (FYI Lamb of God drummer Chris Adler was #1 which I agree). I strongly suggest their Greatest Hits record with Alaska the next best record. Specific songs would be Selkies The Endless Obsession, All Bodies, Obfuscation. These are like 8 minute songs that change up but listen to them loud and you'll convert quickly to a fan.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XHtn8Ep5PlE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2t_w3iHIFWo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OwK4MKYxbZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Doom878; 06-12-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #318
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Seeing LOG up there makes me think back to when I had a rehearsal space at a venue in Arlington, TX called Dreamworld.

Basically, in having a rehearsal space there you could "help" run the show if a big artist came through. Mostly metal acts would come through and LOG was there often, even through they were largely unknown at the time...maybe 2002-3. LOG sans the singer had a hair metal song they'd soundcheck too every time that was fucking hiliarous. I remember one night it was LOG and Dimmu and myself and another band mate where helping setup, unload the trailers. It was put on my to feed the bands, so thinking like a 17yr old, at the time, I hauled ass to CiCi's pizza and then got some of those super soft cookies from Wal-Mart.

I will NEVER IN MY LIFETIME forget eating pizza and cookies with, then drummer, Nick Barker. He was in full costume about to go on...we're talking the cape, the fake blood, spikes...the works. He took his first bite of the cookie, turns to me, says "...fuck." Then takes the entire box with him.

Probably one of the best nights of my life. I never really hounded the musicians as I wanted, but I did manage to get a few drum heads completely filled with signatures from the bands that are now hanging in my studio.

Last edited by MarbleGT; 06-12-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #319
Registered Member

Repost? Who cares!!!

Mr Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #320
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.