Shaking when I accelerate. 1997 CL 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaking when I accelerate. 1997 CL 5 speed

Hello, I'm a new member here and was looking for some assistance with an issue I have with my recently bought 97 CL. It seems like when I let go of the gas and then press it again, whether I'm shifting gears or if I'm just cruising in 5th, the car sometimes sputters and shakes, and refuses to accelerate. Strange thing is that when I press the gas harder, something feels like it kicks in and the car stops shaking and I accelerate really fast. I feel like it might be the fuel filter, but I'm not sure. I've been reading a lot of people having shaking problems due to a broken axle, but its just strange that when I press the gas all the way in it snaps out of the shaking and takes off.

I'd really appreciate some feedback with this. Thank you and I'm glad to be part of this community.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 AM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Check engine light flashing when it happens? Check spark plug wires/connections under the hood.
The following users liked this post:
tipsycoma (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tehvine
Check engine light flashing when it happens? Check spark plug wires/connections under the hood.

Wut he sed, ive had plenty of cars that seemed to aim at the most simplest of things. fould plugs. faulty wire. thats ur #1 thing to look at.
tipsycoma (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 01:37 PM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
do you remember your most recent tune up?

Fuel filter should be done as well; only about $30 from the dealer. i think there's a diy on it somewhere on here.
tipsycoma (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 04:08 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Project_CLean
do you remember your most recent tune up?

Fuel filter should be done as well; only about $30 from the dealer. i think there's a diy on it somewhere on here.
I'll be honest, I just bought the car last week. Not sure how the engine has been kept up other than the fact that the oil was okay and it wasn't overheating or anything. I bought a fuel filter from the autoparts store. I'll try and see if I can figure out how to put it in, I was looking for it yesterday and couldn't find it.

Originally Posted by Tehvine
Going out to see if there are any cables that aren't connected properly. Thank you.

I'll keep posted. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:27 AM
MMkay.

spark plugs and wires takes 10-15 minutes on these. wouldn't hurt either. although to me it seems more like a fuel delivery problem rather than ignition.
you should try and reproduce the problem at a standstill as well; if you are at a low rpm;low speed and in 5th gear;that will cause the same feeling. a vibration because the engine is struggling to keep up with motor? Is this your first manual car ?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
7th Gear

spark plugs and wires takes 10-15 minutes on these. wouldn't hurt either. although to me it seems more like a fuel delivery problem rather than ignition.
you should try and reproduce the problem at a standstill as well; if you are at a low rpm;low speed and in 5th gear;that will cause the same feeling. a vibration because the engine is struggling to keep up with motor? Is this your first manual car ?
I'll be honest, I am not an expert with cars. I've changed a few things like a fuel pump before, but the CL seems a bit more difficult to work on. I've driven many manual cars, shifting isn't the problem. I just don't think it is an axle, because when I accelerate most of the time, it drives perfectly smooth. It's only when I let go of the gas and press it again that it starts sputtering and shaking. I haven't replaced the fuel filter yet, I plan on doing that today. I checked the wires and everything looked fine. Engine doesn't overheat or anything either, no check engine light, tranny shifts smooth. Such a weird issue.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:41 PM
MMkay.

well; let us know what you do. anything we can help on let us know.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 AM
7th Gear

Hey again. I still haven't been able to solve this problem. Does anyone else know what this could be?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:27 AM
MMkay.

What have you done to fix the problem...
Old 01-30-2012, 02:08 PM
7th Gear

What have you done to fix the problem...
Nothing yet. I've been trying to pinpoint what it could be so I don't have to spend money on things that won't help fix it.

I really don't think its the fuel filter, because when I'm idling and I press and let go of the gas, it doesn't sputter or shake. It's only when I'm moving. Not only that, but when it DOES start sputtering and shaking, if I press the gas in more, it all of a sudden snaps out of the shaking and takes off like VTEC kicked in or something. Super weird. I'm thinking it might be the sparkplugs or distributor cap. I don't think it's fuel related though, because if it was, it would do the same sputtering and shaking even when I'm not moving and pressing the gas, right?

Oh and it only happens sometimes. Maybe once or twice in 30 minutes.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:44 PM
MMkay.

not necessarily; if it was the ignition as you think it is ; it would happen regardless; the change or issue comes as the motor is under load..right? Well, that's all i can really help with over the internet. You might want to actually look into some diys to save you some cash; especially if you haven't done a tune up..it would help whether it fixes the problem or not. So that's one of those situations that you're investing money not spending..good luck.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:04 PM
MMkay.

my vote will stay the same though..fuel filter.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:10 PM
7th Gear

my vote will stay the same though..fuel filter.
You're probably going to laugh, but I just remembered my car hadn't had a gas cap on it since I bought it. I was thinking maybe some dirt or too much air got into the tank and the fuel pressure wasn't there, so I went to the autoparts and bought a gas cap and some fuel injector cleaner.

The car drives noticeably smoother, the gas pedal is much stiffer, and it doesn't shake anymore when I let go of the gas and press it again. I am going to keep driving it around the block just to make sure this isn't placebo effect.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by tipsycoma
You're probably going to laugh, but I just remembered my car hadn't had a gas cap on it since I bought it. I was thinking maybe some dirt or too much air got into the tank and the fuel pressure wasn't there, so I went to the autoparts and bought a gas cap and some fuel injector cleaner.

The car drives noticeably smoother, the gas pedal is much stiffer, and it doesn't shake anymore when I let go of the gas and press it again. I am going to keep driving it around the block just to make sure this isn't placebo effect.
Nevermind. Just drove it around and it did it again. It seems like it happens less now though and the gas pedal does seem a bit more responsive.

Guess I'll install the fuel filter and see what happens.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tipsycoma

u dam fool!! no gas cap was a pretty relevant detail to mention! however, now that u got the pressure and the safety in ur tank, now time to check the filter, prolly could have a lil issue there now that we kno u had to cap this whole time! ur CEL come on too?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 AM
MMkay.

lol these cars have a small lid in the fuel filler opening anyways; vacumn loss would be minimal to cause such a rough problem.
fuel filter fuel filter fuel filter. Have you at least looked at your plugs? get in there man. cmon
Old 06-04-2012, 02:34 PM
JAPCARLUVR

Have a similar issue in my 99 CL 3.o auto. Accelerating on the low end I often get a fluttering feeling in the engine, never if I am on the hwy. My research has pointed me in the direction of a bad torque converter.