97 3.0, this AC issue has all techs stumped

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 3.0, this AC issue has all techs stumped

Hey guys, new here, been reading up on my issue/searching on the forum, lucky for me my CL seems to be the only Acura/Honda with this problem, so im looking for some help.

Picked up a 97 Cl 3.0 a few months back. Im in Phoenix so its 110 here right now. My issue is my AC blows 70 at the vent when its 100 ambient, and 60 when its darkout aka not in direct sunlight.

I have replaced compressor, condenser, exp valve, evap core, drier, flushed all lines several times. high and low side pressures appear good. initially i put in a aftermarket comp but i just warrantied it out for a Denso, no improvement.

all blend/temp doors are operating as is the heater controlvalve!!

any ideas??? so frustrating

thanks for any help..
Old 06-30-2015, 12:38 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Can you please post all readings: the hi/low pressure readings, ambient temperature, vent discharge temperature closest to evaporator.

It would help a lot if you can get a some temp reading under the hood: right after the expansion valve, before the expansion valve, before the condenser, after the condenser, condenser, before the drier, after the drier, high side coming out from the interior.

All readings should be done at the same time period.

Are you sure you are using the recommended Freon and the correct amount? Are you sure there isn't a slow leak?

Hot wire the fans make sure they are running at high speed?

Check the baffles around the sides of the condenser. Make sure the air is not going around the sides of the condenser and not through the condenser.

Same goes for the evaporator. Make sure the air is not escaping around the evaporator some how.

Make sure all fins are not bent over and blocking the air from going through. That means checking both sides of the radiator, and get a visual confirmation that the passages on the radiator are not clogged up.

The parts you repaced are they oem or after market?

Does the ac get any colder if you drive in city vs highway speeds?

Are the pulley sizes correct?

If there is an inline filter, could it be inserted backwards?

Same with the drier is the lines flowing in the right direction?

Last edited by 01acls; 06-30-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:32 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01acls
Can you please post all readings: the hi/low pressure readings, ambient temperature, vent discharge temperature closest to evaporator.

It would help a lot if you can get a some temp reading under the hood: right after the expansion valve, before the expansion valve, before the condenser, after the condenser, condenser, before the drier, after the drier, high side coming out from the interior.

All readings should be done at the same time period.

Are you sure you are using the recommended Freon and the correct amount? Are you sure there isn't a slow leak?

Hot wire the fans make sure they are running at high speed?

Check the baffles around the sides of the condenser. Make sure the air is not going around the sides of the condenser and not through the condenser.

Same goes for the evaporator. Make sure the air is not escaping around the evaporator some how.

Make sure all fins are not bent over and blocking the air from going through. That means checking both sides of the radiator, and get a visual confirmation that the passages on the radiator are not clogged up.

The parts you repaced are they oem or after market?

Does the ac get any colder if you drive in city vs highway speeds?

Are the pulley sizes correct?

If there is an inline filter, could it be inserted backwards?

Same with the drier is the lines flowing in the right direction?
109 degrees ambient. center vent blows 70 in direct sunlight, gets down to 60 if in the shade. High side 250 psi at idle, low side 25 ( little low i think ). when revved, high will get up to 300-320, but no difference in vent temp. havent had a chance to take temp readings as you described under the hood, but it appears all mechanical items, baffles etc are in place. no inline filter, drier is in correct. today im going to try an oem exp valve. The comp is a Denso, everything else aftermarket.

Thanks for the reply
Old 07-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikol0589
109 degrees ambient. center vent blows 70 in direct sunlight, gets down to 60 if in the shade. High side 250 psi at idle, low side 25 ( little low i think ). when revved, high will get up to 300-320, but no difference in vent temp. havent had a chance to take temp readings as you described under the hood, but it appears all mechanical items, baffles etc are in place. no inline filter, drier is in correct. today im going to try an oem exp valve. The comp is a Denso, everything else aftermarket.

Thanks for the reply
Your ac is low on freon. Pressure readings should be as follows for 109.

Low side... 50-55 psi.
High side... 340-345 psi.

Above pressures are for 110 degrees for R 134a.

Your ac was either under charged or have a slow leak.

Last edited by 01acls; 07-02-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Drifting