Strange Grinding sound CL 02 Auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 02:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Grinding sound CL 02 Auto

Not sure how to best diagnose this sound I'm hearing from the engine area, my Mechanic is off 300+ miles away, I'm hoping this issue will relate to what he does before I take it to him.

02 Acura CL, 111,000 on the car (may be more, scammer dealership, long story). I already have the strange shaking many people relate to the axles / joints / etc. which occurs on soft accelerations, that came when transmission was replaced last year. Now I have a grinding noise that comes when I'm climbing a hill at cruise speeds. Best I can diagnose: it occurs only in 4th and 5th gear, between 1500 - 2500 RPMs & 35 - 45MPH. If I release the gas it quits, if I speed up it quits, if I gear down/up with the slapstick manual it quits. I've put on 500 - 1000 miles since this grinding noise started. It doesn't happen on the interstate (sans once last Sunday at 65 - 70MPH; a fluke I'm sure, it's yet to happen again). I've tested in strictly 3rd gear on city streets; I don't have the same noise / hesitation at 35-45MPH or 1500-2500RPMs.

When the grinding occurs, I get a slight bit of hesitation, the tach usually goes up a bit (100-200), it feels like and sounds like my front end is getting hit by 40mph winds. It almost seems like it's catching at the point between shifting from 4th to 5th/5th to 4th or from Overdrive to 4th/5th.

It has an Odyssey transmission (not sure the year maybe 06) that's been modified to keep the same known CL transmission issues from happening. Fluid's fine (in fact at warm it's beyond full) and not burned. Oil level was low after only having an oil change done a week prior, not sure where it went or if the oil change place failed to put enough in it (that has been fixed but will continue to watch it).

The only warranty I have on this car is the transmission, if anyone thinks it might be that, I'll take it to the mechanic / shop who put in the odyssey tranny, let them fix it. If it's anything major (like the engine), say now and I'll look into selling the car. Would hate to, this is my second CL (and last Acura due to another long story) and it's a blast to drive.

Thanks much crew. I'll keep an eye on this.
- CFR
Old 08-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Eurotrash

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Beyond 100k miles, one should expect front end suspension work as part of normal maintenance.

But your description of the tach changing and feeling like being hit by wind makes it sound like something's wrong in the torque converter.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:38 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Tosh
Beyond 100k miles, one should expect front end suspension work as part of normal maintenance.

But your description of the tach changing and feeling like being hit by wind makes it sound like something's wrong in the torque converter.
Thank you for the reply, Went on ahead and drove the car back to my mechanic who saw it needed new tires and an alignment. That has been done, it's still doing the same grinding. I'll take it to the tranny guys the warranty's through and get that checked.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
^ trans issues
Old 11-02-2014, 07:35 PM
2nd Gear

I'm having the same problem

What was the solution to this problem and how much did the repair cost you?
Originally Posted by catfriedrice
Not sure how to best diagnose this sound I'm hearing from the engine area, my Mechanic is off 300+ miles away, I'm hoping this issue will relate to what he does before I take it to him.

02 Acura CL, 111,000 on the car (may be more, scammer dealership, long story). I already have the strange shaking many people relate to the axles / joints / etc. which occurs on soft accelerations, that came when transmission was replaced last year. Now I have a grinding noise that comes when I'm climbing a hill at cruise speeds. Best I can diagnose: it occurs only in 4th and 5th gear, between 1500 - 2500 RPMs & 35 - 45MPH. If I release the gas it quits, if I speed up it quits, if I gear down/up with the slapstick manual it quits. I've put on 500 - 1000 miles since this grinding noise started. It doesn't happen on the interstate (sans once last Sunday at 65 - 70MPH; a fluke I'm sure, it's yet to happen again). I've tested in strictly 3rd gear on city streets; I don't have the same noise / hesitation at 35-45MPH or 1500-2500RPMs.

When the grinding occurs, I get a slight bit of hesitation, the tach usually goes up a bit (100-200), it feels like and sounds like my front end is getting hit by 40mph winds. It almost seems like it's catching at the point between shifting from 4th to 5th/5th to 4th or from Overdrive to 4th/5th.

It has an Odyssey transmission (not sure the year maybe 06) that's been modified to keep the same known CL transmission issues from happening. Fluid's fine (in fact at warm it's beyond full) and not burned. Oil level was low after only having an oil change done a week prior, not sure where it went or if the oil change place failed to put enough in it (that has been fixed but will continue to watch it).

The only warranty I have on this car is the transmission, if anyone thinks it might be that, I'll take it to the mechanic / shop who put in the odyssey tranny, let them fix it. If it's anything major (like the engine), say now and I'll look into selling the car. Would hate to, this is my second CL (and last Acura due to another long story) and it's a blast to drive.

Thanks much crew. I'll keep an eye on this.
- CFR
Old 11-14-2014, 01:10 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Loso318
What was the solution to this problem and how much did the repair cost you?

Here's an update for you and everyone else:

Took the car to my favorite transmission shop, the one who holds a worthwhile and handy warranty on this trans. They disassembled the whole thing, couldn't find the problem. There were some worn parts they traded out (about $100 worth), and they replaced all my motor mounts ($220). Mixed with $1,300 worth of labor, about $1,600 worth. Yay warranty paid the 220 for the mounts only. Put it back together, test drove it, no grinding. Drove home, no grinding. Nothing this morning. Drove it 10 minutes ago, it started up again, 30MPH 4th gear. It's not as bad as it was when I took the car in, which makes absolutely no sense; not as loud, not shaking the accelerator any.

They did fix the shake though.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:24 AM
10th Gear

And now it's back to it's old ways...

What's the chances the issue lies in the computer system, or the higher torque/weight (mentioned here https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...-p1739-917689/) is the cause?
Old 03-26-2015, 12:10 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You're describing what sounds like a torque converter issue; which is common in the older odyssey's and older Acura MDX's. do a search on 2005/2006 acura MDX torque converter shudder and read up on that. you may find answers.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I know this might not have anything to do with hesitation or anything you described but... if you're getting a grinding sound check the wheel bearing I know get make grinding noises if their really worn out
Old 04-07-2015, 06:54 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
Every time you get the Trans rebuilt you put in a new tq converter. It is cheap insurance. That is the only part of my Trans that has not fucked up on me. Transstar tq converter, every time has held it down for me. And I have had more than my share of drags on these converters. No issues. But the Trans on the other had.. Is a lemon lol
Old 10-24-2015, 09:15 AM
10th Gear

The fix was throw another TC into it. No more grinding. Not gonna complain, it was free.

Now 6 months later it just decided to throw the p0740 code. 'Check Engine' on all the time, throws the TCS after I drive 50MPH+ for about a mile. I've had the solenoid replaced (not sure on the cleaning of the screens, I'll know Monday) and no change, throws same code. The Transmission repair guys think my TCS is going bad, but I can't keep throwing money at that. I've driven it a month with this light, and I haven't noticed any significant changes to the car (no drop in gas mileage or overheating per 2001 P0740; new and need advise). It's a little sluggish going from reverse to drive, that's about it right now.
Oh, and the transmission has just crossed 50,000 miles of use. There's maybe 10,000 on the new TC. The trans shop is extending the warranty and throwing out the miles to insure I get this thing fixed right if indeed the trans goes out (Props to the shop owner, you just don't find that kind of service everywhere). In my case, hope the tranny is indeed F***ed and get another.

And then run it till it's paid off, and Sell it for something else.

Last edited by catfriedrice; 10-24-2015 at 09:19 AM.