Replacing CL Road Lamp Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:55 PM
DJF
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Replacing CL Road Lamp Bulbs

I just replaced the road lamp bulbs in my 2002 CL-S. After a lot of research (on this form and the web) and a lot of fumbling around, I figured it out and in reality it's a 10-15 min job. No tools were needed except a flat-blade screw driver. I replaced the old bulbs with new LED bulbs which had light emitting from 4 sides plus directly out the front. Much brighter. Here is what I did:

Photo 1: Remove the top front plastic splash guard that sits atop in front of the radiator. It removes by simply using a blade screwdriver and prying off the push-in buttons.

Photo 2: Here is the guard after removal. Once the plastic guard is removed you can easily get your arm down inside and behind the road lights. Feel around and find the bulb wire and follow it to the plastic socket, grab ahold of the socket and pull and twist out.

Photo 3: Light socket with old bulb removed. Once you pull out the light plug, put your hand inside the front grill and find the loose light and pull it out the front to easily replace the bulb. Replace the socket by reversing what you did by putting your arm back down inside the back of the bumper with socket in-hand and feeling where it pushes back in. It pushes in and takes a slight twist. Then replace the splash guard and you're done.

The whole process took me about 45 min because I didn't know what I was doing. If I had to do it again, 15 min.

Photo 4: New LED lights
Photo 5: Socket with new light installed.
Photo 6: New and Old bulbs for comparison.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:07 AM
DJF
Instructor

I forgot to mention that the dealer wanted $127.00 to replace both bulbs but they needed to order the bulbs. The new LED bulbs cost only $12.95. I'm glad I spent the time doing this myself and installed bulbs that are about 10 times brighter than the stock bulbs and that will last 50,000 hours. I also see that one of my photos was removed because it showed the actual brand package for the new LED bulbs and I guess we can't do that.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:57 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
These aren't going to blind anyone, are they? Our cars' headlights weren't made for bulbs like this. I want/need brighter lights than what I have but I don't need to go blinding everyone. The headlights on my car have dimmed over time, but new bulbs are crazy expensive.

What's the power draw with this setup? I'm assuming since it's LED it should be less. You didn't need any adapters or anything? Do you have any before/after pics of the headlights on at night?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:07 AM
DJF
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acidicheartburn
These aren't going to blind anyone, are they? Our cars' headlights weren't made for bulbs like this. I want/need brighter lights than what I have but I don't need to go blinding everyone. The headlights on my car have dimmed over time, but new bulbs are crazy expensive.

What's the power draw with this setup? I'm assuming since it's LED it should be less. You didn't need any adapters or anything? Do you have any before/after pics of the headlights on at night?
I replaced the lower front bumper road lamp bulbs, not the headlight bulbs. The LED replacement bulbs still are on 12v, run cooler and are brighter than stock but not blinding.
If your headlights are dimmer your plastic lens covers are most likely fogged and require a polish. Do that and your lights will look like new.