Still dealing with the SH-AWD shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 12:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Still dealing with the SH-AWD shift problem

I have tried every avenue I can think of to get this addressed. The service department just tells me there is no fix for it, yet. No one has reported the same issue I have. I talked to the area rep, he told me it's just how the 9 speed operates.

ACR just tells me they are sorry for my inconvenience.

I would think that when the car comes to a stop, the tranny should switch to first gear, every time. I shouldn't heave to be stopped for 3-5 seconds before I get a downshift. If I don't wait that long, the car seems to be 2nd or 3rd... giving it gas is little more than a rev up then the car jumps it gear. It seem I have this issue uniquely, no one else here has mentioned it.

It's to the point where I really don't enjoy driving it. Acura tells me to be patient...
Old 07-19-2015, 09:18 AM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Sorry to hear about your tranny issues. I'm still fortunate enough to not have any of the dreaded F.M.Y. bugs (YET). It's a P.I.T.A. and sadly we have to be the guinea pigs for Acura in having the latest they have to offer, but when they don't treat our (in this case your) concerns with sincerity it adds insult to injury.

Hopefully, as more of the cars are sold, the chances of this identical symptom showing up are increased. At the very least you're reporting it, so Acura is aware and perhaps that will lead to a remedy.

Good luck with this.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (07-19-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Hey Stew, what makes you feel that the car is not shifting into first gear? Do you notice this for example when you are doing a rolling stop and the car lurches forward when you slow down to a slow roll and then get back on the gas? I have noticed that my FWD V6 does this when I do a rolling stop. I don't think it has to do with the car not shifting down into 1st gear, but to me it seems like something with the car holding the brake pressure. If you are having the problem I am describing at a rolling stop, I think this is what is happening. It's like how the hill assist mechanism holds the brake pressure when you are on an incline, but it seems to be doing it even when you are on level ground. So when you get on the gas it takes a second or two for it to release that pressure. When I am completely stopped for a few seconds, I don't have this issue and it's fine, only happens when I do a rolling stop and the car isn't completely still

Last edited by h_dawg; 07-20-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Suzuka Master

The best way I can describe my issue is at rolling or near stop, I give it gas, the engine revs and the car barely moves, then it seems to catch, or jump, into gear fairly hard, depending on the pedal pressure. If I stop completely and wait a couple of seconds, the car drives away normally.

Maybe this is the lurch forward others have described but I only notice if I push on the gas and the car barely moves before what feels like catching gear. I used to experience this back in the day if the old 2/3 speed automatics were low on tranny fluid.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:40 PM
Instructor

I could be wrong, but it seems like pretty much the same issue I have when I do a rolling stop. I give it some gas and it take a second and then lurches forward. I'm not a mechanic so I could be wrong and maybe the car is indeed not shifting down into first. The reason why I think that it is holding onto the brake pressure is that it is the same feeling you get when the car is on an incline and the hill assist kicks in and when you are completely stopped and lift your foot off the brake, the car doesn't roll back. When you hit the gas, it takes a second for the car to release this brake pressure and then it goes. Have you been on an incline and experienced this? It feels like the same thing is happening even when the car isn't an incline. I think this is why you feel like it revs up and doesn't go... because it's holding that brake pressure and once it lets go of that, it lurches forward and it feels like it finally slammed into first gear and took off

I'm almost due for my first oil change so I'll ask the dealer about it when I go get that done in a couple weeks
Old 07-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Yep, that describes what I feel. I think we just interpreted the symptoms differently.

It's a hesitation that irritates the hell out of me. I've never had a car that did this. I am being told to be patient and hope for a fix.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Yep, that describes what I feel. I think we just interpreted the symptoms differently.

It's a hesitation that irritates the hell out of me. I've never had a car that did this. I am being told to be patient and hope for a fix.
Yeah I agree Stew, it is pretty annoying. I didn't bring this up to my dealer yet but I will make sure I do so hopefully someone at Acura will get moving on a fix if enough people complain about it
Old 07-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by h_dawg
Yeah I agree Stew, it is pretty annoying. I didn't bring this up to my dealer yet but I will make sure I do so hopefully someone at Acura will get moving on a fix if enough people complain about it
Thanks! Hopefully we can raise the awareness level.

I have gone so far as to let ACR know that I have buyers remorse over this issue. It takes away form the driving experience, for sure. I received an email from ACR late last week saying that they were elevating my issue.. whatever that actually means is anyone's guess. It helped that I told them I'd get rid of the car today if it didn't cost me a huge $$ loss.
2011TL (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Stew,

I may have the same problem you are experiencing. I've already reported in other threads about the rough 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts, the delay in engaging between 2-3 and the surge forward when downshifting from 3-2. Had it in the dealer last week and they replicated all of theses problems and admitted something is wrong. Today they called to say Acura does not have a fix.

Today I was driving a residential street where every block had a stop sign. I would come to a full stop and, because there was no traffic I would press the throttle immediately, but the tranny had not yet downshifted to first gear, hence a hesitation in moving forward. The problem happened at least six consecutive times.

Other than filing a complaint with the NHTSA and looking into lemon laws what other options do we have?
Stew4HD (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 2011TL
Stew,

I may have the same problem you are experiencing. I've already reported in other threads about the rough 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts, the delay in engaging between 2-3 and the surge forward when downshifting from 3-2. Had it in the dealer last week and they replicated all of theses problems and admitted something is wrong. Today they called to say Acura does not have a fix.

Today I was driving a residential street where every block had a stop sign. I would come to a full stop and, because there was no traffic I would press the throttle immediately, but the tranny had not yet downshifted to first gear, hence a hesitation in moving forward. The problem happened at least six consecutive times.

Other than filing a complaint with the NHTSA and looking into lemon laws what other options do we have?
What I highlighted is precisely my issue and has been since I first noticed this soon after getting the car. I wrote ACR on Jan 02 this year, 2 weeks after buying the car.

I am trying real hard to look past this issue but it's getting to the point that I am tired of being told "sorry" by the service department and ACR.

EDIT :

Texas lemon law:

How many “reasonable attempts” to repair a defect is the manufacturer allowed?

One way to show the dealer has had a reasonable number of attempts to fix a defect is to pass the following tests. Mileage requirements in the tests do not apply to travel trailers.

The Four Times Test

You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership for repair
◾twice for the same problem within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first; and
◾twice more during the 12 months or 12,000 miles following the second repair attempt, and
◾the problem continues to exist
I am only at 3200 miles on the car

Last edited by Stew4HD; 07-20-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
I suppose I have the same issue - I describe it differently. When coming to a brief stop or very near stop, the effect when resuming gas pedal is very erratic...most often with some jerkiness (like taking up slack). As you describe a stop sign with no traffic often produces this. If I'm completely stopped for a second or two, I get smooth resumption of power.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

^ yep. I find that to be unacceptable and certainly takes away from the enjoyment of driving. I experience that jerking every day as I drive to work and back home
Old 07-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Racer

Guys, what are your build dates? My car was built on 2/1/15 and I had to do some running today through a part of town with lots of stop signs so I tried replicating what you noticed and I had no issues with the rolling stops or full stops. The car always responded as commanded and I had no lurching or hesitation. I doubt if it's a software issue that you may not have, but if you all have "older" cars, maybe that's something they could try to isolate.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Mine was built in late October/November.

It's especially noticeable when you ALMOST come to a stop then give it gas
Old 07-21-2015, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Mine is January 2015
Old 07-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

I just got a call from ACR in reference to my complaint emails... Same old bullshit.. "I am sorry, we have no fix for your car nor one in the works"
Old 07-24-2015, 11:42 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Stew, have you had the TCM flashed with an update yet? The updates are definitely available, my TLX is about the same age as yours, I got it mid-Nov, and I have had it flashed once already and they just flashed it again to deal with the "neutral slip" recall, haven't had a chance to drive it yet since that one.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Suzuka Master

The rep that called me said there is a recall for the neutral slip but mine isn't part of it
Old 07-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Racer

Stew and anyone else following this post ------- there was just a TSB posted in the TSB thread that is related to your problem as well as others that pertain to the shifting and idling. I don't know if this is the fix to your problem, but you may want to give it a look-see.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Already set an appointment for this update. I really hope that this solves the shift issues. (Jerkiness and surging)
Old 07-26-2015, 08:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
Stew and anyone else following this post ------- there was just a TSB posted in the TSB thread that is related to your problem as well as others that pertain to the shifting and idling. I don't know if this is the fix to your problem, but you may want to give it a look-see.
I plan to look into it. It's odd that the ACR guy told me no fix was in the works but it could be a left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

I don't truly hate or dislike my car, but rally dislike how it performs under those conditions.

I'll be getting in touch with my service department to see what is going on with this TSB.. it seems like it addresses our issues *
Old 07-26-2015, 09:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
It's odd that the ACR guy told me no fix was in the works but it could be a left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.
A few years ago, I called a C.S.R. for AT&T and inquired about my area going to 3G service. He said there were no plans in the near future. I called Sprint and they were already 3G. I switched and 3 days after I got my new Sprint phone, a co-worker said "hey, my AT&T phone is now connecting at 4G LTE."

Perfect example of what you're talking about. (Sprint did let me switch back within the 14 day period, so I wasn't too upset.)
Old 07-27-2015, 08:04 AM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
HUGE , gigantic let down. I drove to my Acura dealership, and spoke with my service manager. This "new" TSB is apparently the same update that was applied to most of our TLXs months ago. She told me it is no different, and she refused to hook my car up for the update. Please let me know if any of you have this same response.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Stew4HD,
I have the same issue with my car and felt exactly like you did; I hated driving it. When I got used to its behavior I started trying to avoid these lurches and feel fine now. I will bring this up on my next visit to the dealership and see what they say. Keep us posted if you find out anything.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by djturk66
Hey Stew4HD,
I have the same issue with my car and felt exactly like you did; I hated driving it. When I got used to its behavior I started trying to avoid these lurches and feel fine now. I will bring this up on my next visit to the dealership and see what they say. Keep us posted if you find out anything.
My new service advisor said the TLX's he's driven has had the hesitations in shifting too. I sent him the new TSB info, waiting to hear back on it
Old 07-29-2015, 05:52 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Mine does seem yet a bit smoother and quicker to downshift with the second flashing of the TCM. Maybe third time's the charm. ;-)
Old 07-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Stew, are you planning on elevating and invoking the lemon law.

If i wasnt so busy, i would definitely get attorneys involved for my issue. Just like you sick and tired "sorry you are having problems."
Old 07-31-2015, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by open contact
Stew, are you planning on elevating and invoking the lemon law.

If i wasnt so busy, i would definitely get attorneys involved for my issue. Just like you sick and tired "sorry you are having problems."
I am going to go in for the update next week. Been pretty busy myself. I changed jobs and drive a bit further so I am not being exposed to the shifting issue as much. That makes it easier to put off a little bit longer.

The lemon law could be invoked if the issue isn't resolved soon though. From what I hear, the lemon law is a real PITA to invoke.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Good luck, wish you the best. hope you get a speedy resolution. its just inexcusable for a 40 grand luxury brand..
Old 08-01-2015, 05:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by open contact
Good luck, wish you the best. hope you get a speedy resolution. its just inexcusable for a 40 grand luxury brand..
Thank you. I can't agree more. I was under the impression that Acura had delayed the roll-out of the TLX pending further testing of the systems, which sure as hell should have been rigorous abuse of a new transmission. It seems the testers were willing to overlook certain aspects of this car
Old 08-01-2015, 06:36 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
You've probably already seen this, but if I'm understanding it implies that there might not be a software fix for how this transmission works and feels:

ZF's 9-Speed 9HP Transmission Puts Dog Clutches On The Leash - The Truth About Cars
Old 08-01-2015, 07:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by benjaminh
You've probably already seen this, but if I'm understanding it implies that there might not be a software fix for how this transmission works and feels:

ZF's 9-Speed 9HP Transmission Puts Dog Clutches On The Leash - The Truth About Cars
Thank you. I had not seen that explanation. Very interesting!
benjaminh (08-01-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Had my car in today for the update. It is shifting smoother and seems to be more responsive. I need to drive it more to see if I still have the low speed hesitation and have the rolling stop lag.

I could not get it to shift hard from 2 - 3 .. but will keep watching to see if it returns.
The following 3 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
kurtatx (08-08-2015), quantum7 (08-08-2015), Rocket_man (08-09-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 07:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
^^^^ Good luck Stew4HD....really hope that this is the magic bullet that everyone has been waiting for. Keep us informed
Old 08-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I had read the article on how the 9 speed transmission works. I have never experienced any pronounced lag or lurch in downshifting, at least to the point where it was an issued when accelerating or slowing. However, I still wonder why that 2-3 shift can feel a little notched, given that no dog clutches are involved. Having said that, I can usually avoid it and like Alex, have moved on. However, if this update removes that notched shift all of the time, I would be all in….assuming it's available in Canada. There seems to be a real disconnect with local service folks not getting information about these updates.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
^^ Same here. There is at least one user in Ontario that has had the update successfully applied, but it is unknown if it will be generally available here, be limited to certain VINs, or only be installed if a strong case is made to service rep. I will inquire in a few months when they put on my other tires (could not bring myself to say "that" word).
Old 08-10-2015, 05:44 AM
Suzuka Master

After a nice road trip in my car over the weekend, I do not see any change in my slow rolling stop/start problem. The 2-3 hard shift is still there under certain acceleration situations and still quite pronounced at times.

In my case, I'd say the update was no help. I really got spoiled after driving an I4 TLX as a loaner and feeling the take off response in it vs the numb feeling take offs in the V6.

I am trying real hard to be too down on the car because it was a great road trip car.. though I could never get over 31.5mpg.

Overall, thumbs down on progress thus far.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Stew, do you regret getting rid of your gs350?
Old 08-12-2015, 05:20 AM
Suzuka Master

No, not at all. I miss some of the interior amenities but not the car itself.