9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:33 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by mojo_79
I noticed that if you accelerate through the 2-3 shift that it's always smooth. In other words, if you are gradually increasing the amount of throttle from before the shift begins until after it occurs it's extremely smooth. Unfortunately, traffic in front of you doesn't always allow this. Upon light throttle, with the accelerator held constant, it usually jerks. The absolute worst is if you have to let off the throttle right when the shift is occurring.
Bingo. In most city traffic, you can't do acceleration runs every time you stop at a light. That's why I concluded that a slight letup just before the shift worked better.

I've gotten to where I "feel" the shift coming and just automatically ease up a tad until it shifts, so 98% of my shifts are clean.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Seriously, folks - all they need to do is adjust the programming so there is a momentary reduction in throttle just before the shift to 3rd. With fly-by-wire throttle actuation, that should be a breeze.

I'm beginning to worry that there's so many TLX's being sold that re-programming all of them is getting to be too big an expense/time expenditure for Acura.
If it was that simple they would have released an update months ago. In this warm weather, with my early production vehicle, there is a only slight bump from 2-3 for the first 15 minutes of driving and is smooth after that. It would pass QC testing in these warm conditions. It is not as good in cold conditions

It is not clear that an update should be applied to my car, and I am at a loss to explain why there are so many different experiences, so it is not clear that a single update will work perfectly for all situations.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:06 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I really think this is similar to the 7 speed in my G37: its different for everyone based not only on how you drive, but the specific situation you are in. And to get those 2 factors to be exactly alike for more than 1 driver are almost impossible.

So you end up with "mine works fine", "mine works OK" and "I want to drive mine off a cliff"

I would only be worried about it being a hardware issue, and I have a feeling that's not the case. There are just so many variables within the driving part, then you throw in 9 gears to choose from and it turns into confusion for the computer(s)

Oddly enough, the more aggressive I drive my G, the better it shifts (not just shift quality, but the shift points are more consistent and predictable). I'm wondering if the TLX works the same way.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:11 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by mojo_79
I noticed that if you accelerate through the 2-3 shift that it's always smooth. In other words, if you are gradually increasing the amount of throttle from before the shift begins until after it occurs it's extremely smooth. Unfortunately, traffic in front of you doesn't always allow this. Upon light throttle, with the accelerator held constant, it usually jerks. The absolute worst is if you have to let off the throttle right when the shift is occurring.
I think you hit the nail on the head here describing the behavior. In Econ mode, its a little easier to do this because the throttle is less sensitive at modest acceleration levels. Sport mode would be harder because the setup wants to accelerate faster.

Would also explain why I get more noticeable shifts in stop and go traffic (accelerate to 20 mph, back to zero, repeat), versus being able to accelerate from 0 to say 40 or 50 off of a stoplight on suburban roads.

Last edited by 1Louder; 06-24-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
If it was that simple they would have released an update months ago. In this warm weather, with my early production vehicle, there is a only slight bump from 2-3 for the first 15 minutes of driving and is smooth after that. It would pass QC testing in these warm conditions. It is not as good in cold conditions

It is not clear that an update should be applied to my car, and I am at a loss to explain why there are so many different experiences, so it is not clear that a single update will work perfectly for all situations.
My experience driving in the warm weather of late is exactly the same. A slight notch with 2-3, some of the time, depending upon how I apply the throttle, for the first few minutes of the day, and then smooth sailing thereafter, with no thought or concern about throttle pressure. It is a 100% joy to drive! My Service Manager agrees with t he notion that it likely relates to transmission oil viscosity.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Posted on other TLX forum by member Nascart....link below

Jeep, Chrysler, Acura 9-Speed Automatics: Supplier ZF Offers Tips

Some interesting information
The following 2 users liked this post by quantum7:
Rocketsfan (07-08-2015), Stew4HD (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 06:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
Posted on other TLX forum by member Nascart....link below

Jeep, Chrysler, Acura 9-Speed Automatics: Supplier ZF Offers Tips

Some interesting information
I found this part to be quite telling:

Tips that the dealership probably won’t tell you

Mohr gave the following useful tips on how the nine-speed’s software works:
•If you’re the gentler driver in the household, a few lumpy shifts are to be expected each time you get in after the more aggressive one. If one driver drives rapidly most or all the time, then it’s possible that the low-speed, low-load shifts won’t work so well, because the transmission will still be assuming the style of the more aggressive driver. It is possible that each time the gentler driver gets into the vehicle, the first few shifts may be firmer, but the software softens shift quality after just a few minutes of driving.

•It’s actually important to mix driving styles when the vehicle is new. This is so that the transmission can ‘learn’ each shift over a range of conditions. The transmission could take longer to adapt if driven in a steady continuous way, but shifts should even then become smoother and more predictable over the long run.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Some good insight. My comments on the tips:

#1 If you’re the gentler driver in the household, a few lumpy shifts are to be expected each time you get in after the more aggressive one.
- If you start off driving gently, e.g., in traffic, then open it up some lumpy shifts might be experienced
- This would suggest no lumpy shifts for the aggressive driver after use by the gentler driver.

#2 It’s actually important to mix driving styles when the vehicle is new
- Too late for many of us, but it should have adapted to our style by this
- This might mean that changing of driving styles using IDS will have an ipact
Old 07-08-2015, 07:07 AM
Racer

I find the "adaptive" behavior fascinating....everyone says its there, but no one has ever been able to prove it and/or explain exactly how it works (i.e. it adapts to driver 1, how long does it keep that info in memory while the car is parked, and how long does it take to adapt from driver 1 to driver 2). I sometimes wonder if it really exists or if its just a "feature" the dealer can use to explain why people complain about transmissions.

Same thing happens with my G37....except Im the only driver. It seems like it "forgets" the parameters if the car sits for an extended period. Not like the battery dying, just like its saved in some semi-volatile RAM somewhere. But much like point #1 suggested, if I do a couple aggressive takeoffs from a dead stop, it starts to perform a lot better. Dont know if its adapting or if its just the act of aggressiveness that builds up the correct pressures within the valve body to make it shift the way you would want it.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:23 PM

IMO this whole "adaptive" thing is a solution to something that isn't a problem. I think econ/norm/sport/sport+ is all the customization you need to provide a variety of driving experiences. This adapting to each driver is a bit ridiculous. I'd rather they just design it for smooth shifts and let me turn a dial to engage different behavior/modes. I've no use for a schizophrenic transmission.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:34 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi. I seem to be having the same problem with my TLX SH-AWD that I bought 2 weeks ago. I have read this thread from the 1st to the last post.

Is it safe to assume that no permanent software solution is available for this problem for now? Is it safe to assume that if the current fix is applied, the problem eventually returns after a while?

Or has some people had the problem permanently fixed after the software update?
Old 07-11-2015, 03:48 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisrayala
Hi. I seem to be having the same problem with my TLX SH-AWD that I bought 2 weeks ago. I have read this thread from the 1st to the last post.

Is it safe to assume that no permanent software solution is available for this problem for now? Is it safe to assume that if the current fix is applied, the problem eventually returns after a while?

Or has some people had the problem permanently fixed after the software update?
Correct - No permanent solution is yet available.

Some have reported that the latest software update doesn't really "fix" anything.

As I've reported elsewhere on the forum, if you'll just gently ease off the throttle when the shift to 3rd is coming, it will generally slip right through. Then the transmission seems to learn this and soften the 2-3 shift by itself.

Just my own experience. I hardly have any hard shifts any more.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Correct - No permanent solution is yet available.

Some have reported that the latest software update doesn't really "fix" anything.

As I've reported elsewhere on the forum, if you'll just gently ease off the throttle when the shift to 3rd is coming, it will generally slip right through. Then the transmission seems to learn this and soften the 2-3 shift by itself.

Just my own experience. I hardly have any hard shifts any more.

Mike_TX: Thanks for this. I actually spent an hour driving around trying to practice the method that you described but for the life of me, I can't seem to time it correctly. How do you know what gear you are in? Do you just listen to the engine or is there an indicator somewhere? Also are you able to use this method when turning left from a red light? It seems I'm having a hard time easing off the throttle while turning at the same time.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:14 AM

Mike_TX: Thanks for this. I actually spent an hour driving around trying to practice the method that you described but for the life of me, I can't seem to time it correctly. How do you know what gear you are in? Do you just listen to the engine or is there an indicator somewhere? Also are you able to use this method when turning left from a red light? It seems I'm having a hard time easing off the throttle while turning at the same time.
My experience is the same as Mike_TX now. Truthfully I don't even notice it anymore. As I still drive my 06 TSX occasionally, I have to admit it will occasionally shift harder, with the same severity as the TLX. I drove that car for 9 years and never thought to complain about it.

I'd recommend using econ mode for a while. Econ changes the throttle sensitivity - basically acceleration becomes non-linear. So think of it this way - in normal mode when the throttle is at 10%, you get 10% acceleration. 20% = 20%, 50% = 50%, and so on. It's a straight line. In Econ mode, pressing the throttle 50% may only get you the equivalent of 30% acceleration. There is more play in the first half (or so), and it makes up for it at 70% or so. That's why it feels like you have to floor it in Econ mode to move out quickly. The theory behind the decreased sensitivity is to allow you to make more precise throttle adjustments to hold constant speed, which is what improves fuel economy.

The short answer is Econ mode makes it easier to control acceleration at lower speeds, and you may find implementing this technique easier. Also you don't need to back off much - just a little bit. Which is easier in Econ mode.

I've also found that if you can accelerate at a constant rate through the first two shifts, they are often very smooth. Even better when on the "brisk" side of accelerating.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1Louder
My experience is the same as Mike_TX now. Truthfully I don't even notice it anymore. As I still drive my 06 TSX occasionally, I have to admit it will occasionally shift harder, with the same severity as the TLX. I drove that car for 9 years and never thought to complain about it.

I'd recommend using econ mode for a while. Econ changes the throttle sensitivity - basically acceleration becomes non-linear. So think of it this way - in normal mode when the throttle is at 10%, you get 10% acceleration. 20% = 20%, 50% = 50%, and so on. It's a straight line. In Econ mode, pressing the throttle 50% may only get you the equivalent of 30% acceleration. There is more play in the first half (or so), and it makes up for it at 70% or so. That's why it feels like you have to floor it in Econ mode to move out quickly. The theory behind the decreased sensitivity is to allow you to make more precise throttle adjustments to hold constant speed, which is what improves fuel economy.

The short answer is Econ mode makes it easier to control acceleration at lower speeds, and you may find implementing this technique easier. Also you don't need to back off much - just a little bit. Which is easier in Econ mode.

I've also found that if you can accelerate at a constant rate through the first two shifts, they are often very smooth. Even better when on the "brisk" side of accelerating.
This is awesome. I tried to do the ECON mode and I'm able to do the procedure better. Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Banned

Official Acura Website

By the way, do you guys have any links where Acura acknowledges the issue?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:03 PM

This is awesome. I tried to do the ECON mode and I'm able to do the procedure better. Thanks for the tip!
Glad it helped!
Old 07-13-2015, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
By the way, do you guys have any links where Acura acknowledges the issue?
No, there isn't. They usually acknowledge common problems by putting out TSBs to help technicians diagnose/fix common issues, but there isn't a TSB out for the hard shift. If they acknowledge that there is a problem, they have to do something about it and clearly they aren't going to do that when they don't have a definitive fix for it... yet at least. I'm positive they are aware of the issue with all the people taking in their cars for service on this issue and the TCM/VSA update they put out
Old 07-13-2015, 03:47 PM
Banned

I wonder if it's worth it to have the TCM/VSA update done or wait.

I know that the problem returned for some people but are there other people where the issue was permanently resolved with the update?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I wonder if it's worth it to have the TCM/VSA update done or wait.

I know that the problem returned for some people but are there other people where the issue was permanently resolved with the update?
I had it done to my car back in early April, and it feels better. I still notice it occasionally, usually the first few minutes after the car has been sitting and the engine and transmission are cold. I would say it is not 100% better, but somewhat better than it was before and I can deal with it. Other people's experience may differ than mine, but overall it's probably similar. As some have mentioned on here, your driving habits can also play a role on how much you feel that 2nd to 3rd shift
Old 07-13-2015, 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

If the lumpy 2-3 change bothers you then two quick flicks of the paddle will get you smoothly to 4th gear, perfect for city driving. Yes, it is a workaround.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't let Acura off the hook so easily

First, I appreciate those of you who have found some creative ways to improve the rough shifting problems. I appreciate you sharing your findings with this group.

It's just as important to say, however: TLX owners shouldn't have to find "hacks" / workarounds to this problem on their own. We shouldn't have to feather the accelerator or go through a series of steps to minimize the shifting jolt. The car shouldn't shift like that, period, and if it does there should be a fix.

I just spent a week on vacation driving a 2015 Toyota Avalon rental car. Shifts were smooth as silk. I found myself being somewhat jealous of the car. Even my 2000 Maxima which I sold to buy the TLX shifted wonderfully. Plain and simple: this is unacceptable for a luxury car brand in 2015 and we shouldn't put up with it.

My experience so far is that the dealer is stumped and is hesitant to say much, for the reasons mentioned earlier: if they say there is a problem, then they have to fix it / they have liability. If they don't acknowledge the existence of a problem, their job becomes much easier. Read any of the major sites where owners discuss the TLX's problems (carcomplaints.com, NHTSA, this site, tlxforums.com, Acura's Facebook page, etc.). The transmission issues are by far the most frequent complaint.

My strong recommendation: don't let the pressure off Acura for this. It's not ok. I'm looking into next steps, and documenting everything carefully. My hope is the Acura is working on a true fix (I don't think anyone's been given a true, authoritative answer on concrete steps Acura is (or isn't) taking). I can be patient to a point, but I'm not going to accept the status quo as acceptable.
The following 5 users liked this post by BluePlanet:
2011TL (07-16-2015), ATXTLX (07-16-2015), Hoosier_TLX (07-22-2015), jcroniser (07-16-2015), jeich182 (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Thank you, BluePlanet! I've probably been guilty of blind patronage to this brand in the past but there is no way a $40K premium/luxury/sport-luxury car should have a single [jolting] hard shift or VCM vibrations even passengers can notice or any other thing. As you pointed out "lesser" cars don't have these issues so why is it OK that this one does? It's not and I don't think Acura should be given the impression people like the idiosyncrasies (aka defects) instead of fixing them especially when they've acknowledged it's an issue.
The following users liked this post:
ATXTLX (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
Agree, Agree, Agree! Totally agree. I hope that everyone that has issues with poor shifting, or other issues, reports them to Acura. Yes, there may be "workarounds", but paddleshifters or changes in acceleration don't fix the huge problem that the transmission does not perform as a luxury car transmission should. Plain and simple.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Update to my earlier posts

I wholeheartedly agree with BluePlanet too! As an update, I took my TLX to my local dealership today for a "software update" that is supposed to fix the issue. I received a call late this afternoon from the service manager who advised me that there was "no abnormal shifting" and that the car shifts the "same as other TLXs." I promptly told him that I disagreed with his assertion and that I have never had a vehicle that shifts anything like this (and if I had been thinking fast enough, I would have added that this was not how it shifted when I bought it back in January).

But he added that they downloaded a transmission control module update and that as part of the "idle re-learn" process, they need to do a "soft-drive" of 30 miles. I should know more tomorrow. Of course, if the car shifts "normally" in the first place, it begs the question of why they would do anything for me at this point. Oh wait, he didn't say "normally," he said, "like other TLXs."

Personally, I will continue to push Acura on this issue if it is not resolved tomorrow. I have already called the dealership vice president and asked that we meet personally tomorrow when my car is "ready" to discuss this issue--and I also have a voicemail message in to one of Acura's District Parts and Service Managers--to see whether they agree with the service manager's assertion that my Acura shifts like other TLXs.

We all have paid way too much money to have cars that function like this. My first car--a 1997 Chevy Cavalier--shifted smoother than this. So I would really encourage everyone else to keep making calls and appointments to address this issue. And keep posting here. It's reassuring to know there are others out there who are struggling with this issue.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:58 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I agree 100% with BluePlanet. The TLX is my third Acura and all have had transmission problems. The MDX had a full replacement and the TL had several software updates to correct problems. At $45k I expect better. My wife's CRV has a smoother transmission.

My TLX has only 600 miles on it and has all the problems documented in this thread. I took it in today for service. They were able to replicate all of the problems and admitted something is wrong. They tried a recent software update, but there was some type of glitch in the software install. The dealer is contacting Acura to get it resolved.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:41 AM

I think history will show a 9 speed transmission is a mistake. Or maybe just this particular one is. I think it's more gears than are necessary, and reaches too far to get mpg. Aside from the shifts, I've noticed that if I need to floor it to make a move on the highway there is a lot of lag finding the right gear - at times it down shifts two gears (maybe three). That's annoying and at times dangerous when you need to move, but fortunately isn't required all that often.

Even though folks are unhappy, until this issue directly relates to decreased sales it's going to be what it is. If Acura is meeting sales projections then the bottom line is they are getting what they want. The real fix will be in the 2nd gen TLX when they go with a completely different transmission.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:45 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
No mistake on my end; agreed, a $43,000 car's tranny should be perfect, but my TLX/SH-AWD/9 speed, is the BEST of the 6 Acura's I've leased.
37MPG/hwy, buries my SH-AWD/TL/2012
Granted, the tranny ISN'T perfect, but I can live with it, until they figure out a software upgrade.
As I've stated before, my TLX is the BEST car I've ever had.
No regrets, except for the lack of a spare tire
The following 3 users liked this post by CPR:
1Louder (07-22-2015), a35tl (07-18-2015), Quandry (07-17-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 12:40 AM
Passer of Gas

I don't know what any of you are used to driving.
I drove a VW with a DSG trans for the last 5 years and after that experience the TLX shifting seems VERY smooth.
I do feel a slight bump occasionally from 2-3 but nothing to complain about. I mean it is a very complex machine with a very complex transmission. I am in awe every time I drive the car.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:56 AM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by fndlair
I don't know what any of you are used to driving.
I drove a VW with a DSG trans for the last 5 years and after that experience the TLX shifting seems VERY smooth.
While I agree that some of us are very fortunate to have a smooth shifting TLX, we also need to realize that some of the owners have less than ideal transmission experiences.

In judging by the multitude of different symptoms there has to be many, many variables as to why the transmission is fine for some and not for others. If it was a simple, one fix for everyone, I think Acura would have figured it out by now. We can only hope that with added pressure and the persistence of those plagued with issues, it will light a fire under Acura and ZF to find a solution.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hoosier_TLX:
2011TL (07-22-2015), Stew4HD (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 07:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
While I agree that some of us are very fortunate to have a smooth shifting TLX, we also need to realize that some of the owners have less than ideal transmission experiences.

In judging by the multitude of different symptoms there has to be many, many variables as to why the transmission is fine for some and not for others. If it was a simple, one fix for everyone, I think Acura would have figured it out by now. We can only hope that with added pressure and the persistence of those plagued with issues, it will light a fire under Acura and ZF to find a solution.
I keep writing ACR about the problems I am experiencing, though all I ever get is apologies. I have stepped up the rhetoric though. I let them know that apologies have yet to make this issue go away. I learned this morning that the hesitation issue can be scary and possibly dangerous when the hesitates when we need to get out of the way.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I keep writing ACR about the problems I am experiencing, though all I ever get is apologies. I have stepped up the rhetoric though. I let them know that apologies have yet to make this issue go away. I learned this morning that the hesitation issue can be scary and possibly dangerous when the hesitates when we need to get out of the way.
My G37 did this and I called them out on it in the written survey after buying the car along with contacting my dealer.

Slowing down to make a left hand turn at an intersection where there is no stop sign or signal light. As I slowed down, a car coming in the opposite direction turned so I was clear to turn left....got back on the throttle and....nothing. Almost like the engine had died but it was still running.....so your natural instinct is to give it a little more throttle, then all of a sudden it took off.

VERY dangerous, especially if I had tried to turn quickly in front of someone....I would have been "stranded" right in front of them, ripe for an accident.

Once a few more people claimed the same thing, Infiniti had a s/w update within 2 months.

Keep claiming its a safety issue (which it is, for sure), Acura will hopefully respond better to something they might get sued over.
Stew4HD (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 09:12 AM

^ I've had a similar experience on the highway. It wasn't as dangerous as that, but I was moving into the lane to my left to pass someone and needed to get on the throttle because a car was coming up pretty fast - there was lots of lag and I was stuck in the left lane, not accelerating, with that car racing up on me. Then it downshifted twice and took off.

I think the biggest problem is everyone is correct. I suspect because the trans attempts to "learn" your style, different styles will create different results and behavior. Combine that with a complicated 9 speed, and probably some legit issue managing the first couple shifts, and you get what we are experiencing....
Old 07-22-2015, 09:53 AM
Suzuka Master

^ I was asked to come by my local dealer a couple of weeks ago to talk to the area rep about my cars' issues. He said that altitude and, as you said, different driving habit affect the way the transmission reacts. What Acura or ZF didn't seem to account for is that we drive differently depending on situation or, even mood. I think the car is trying to be too "smart".
Old 07-22-2015, 10:31 AM

^ I agree. They've gone too far in optimizing for a driver's style. I'd prefer a more consistent setup, and let me do the adjusting with my right foot when needed.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

^ with your right foot and an IDS button is all I need.
1Louder (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Cruisin'

Filed a claim with the National Center for Dispute Settlement today...

Fellow TLX'ers--

I filed a claim with the National Center for Dispute Settlement today, as required under the terms of Acura's warranty booklet. Unfortunately, I had the latest software update performed late last week and when I picked it up from the dealer on Monday, nothing had changed. The car still does not shift smoothly in lower gears and often hesitates before shifting gears.

Moreover, I had the assurances from an Acura District Parts and Service Manager that he was going to "personally oversee" this issue. All he really did was drive the car when I brought it in last week for the service visit (he actually had me wait a month to come in and get this software update because of his claimed desire to "personally oversee" the update). He said that my TLX essentially drives "like other TLXs" and that there is nothing more that he can do for me. When I told him that I would like Acura to find an alternative, he told me that I would have to pursue a claim with the NCDS or a Lemon Law lawsuit. Incredibly, he told me that he couldn't do anything more BECAUSE OF these laws. Wow.

Now here's something more that should worry everyone here: This DPSM told me that he had talked to representatives at ZF and they advised him that they could change the fluid pressures in the transmission to help achieve smoother gear shifts, but that that will affect the long-term durability of the transmission. Yikes! Hopefully Acura finds another solution--and soon.

I really hope that others will continue to complain to Acura about this issue so that they really try to address this issue. I've been driving cars for over 20 years now and never had a car shift like this. Ironically, when I drove the loaner RDX while my TLX was at the dealership--no shifting problems! And again, I drove a TL for five years before this car--no such problems there either.

Finally, if people weren't aware, Acura was sued over a comparable issue involving the 4-cylinder TLX back in January. Here's the link if you would like to see for yourself: Honda Faces Class Action Over Acura TLX Transmission Defect.

I wish everyone else luck with this issue. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to commiserate off of this thread. My misery always welcomes company.

Justin
Old 07-22-2015, 02:38 PM

^ Any advice on how to "complain to Acura" in a productive way? I've filled out the survey, but I don't know that I trust that service departments are actually passing this information onto Acura. Complaining to a service manager doesn't seem like it will have the teeth we are looking for. So short of filing ourselves, do you have any recommendations on how to complain to the Acura mothership in a way that they will listen?
Old 07-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

ACR@AHM.ACURA.COM

800-382-2238 option 7

This is Acura customer relations.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
I have taken to the Acura main Facebook page (they reply and acknowledge most complaints, plus they are public for everyone to see, and they don't take them down.) Also, twitter, NHTSA, and Carcomplaints.com. Continue to email Acura Client Care also.

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3