8sp DCT Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 12:52 PM
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jim256
Bear in mind the BMW DCT has had months of fixes in software updates to get to 2015's models.
The ZF 8 speed in the BMW 3 series is not a DCT. It is a torque converter transmission of the normal planetary gear type, with an added coast feature. You are comparing apples to oranges. (A 7 speed DCT can be had in the M3 for about $3 grand extra) Google ZF 8HP.

The ZF 8HP is generally regarded as the best automatic out there - no mention of problems in BMW forums that I can find. It's in Audis from A4 on up, BMWs, Chryslers, RAMs, you name it. Now the ZF 9HP is the one in TLX V6s, Chryslers, Range Rover Evoque - too clever by half and universally panned.
The following users liked this post:
jeremyw (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jim256
Bear in mind the BMW DCT has had months of fixes in software updates to get to 2015's models.
The second BMW 328i I test drove was a CPO 2012 model with DCT. That was the first model year BMW started to use 8-speed DCT. It is possible that my finding was the result of software updates performed on that vehicle or it had no problem from day 1. Either way, I just hope that ACURA is working on this issue day and night to resolve this issue. Otherwise, we are going to buy a different brand next time.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wmba
The ZF 8 speed in the BMW 3 series is not a DCT. It is a torque converter transmission of the normal planetary gear type, with an added coast feature.
You are right that BMW 3 series do not use DCT and its website only says "8-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission with Adaptive Transmission Control (ATC)". Audi on the other hand uses the DCT on its A3/S3 lineup but it has only 6 speeds. Its A4 uses 8-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission which is similar to BMW 3 series. Its S4 uses 7-speed DCT.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:43 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jeremyw
The second BMW 328i I test drove was a CPO 2012 model with DCT. That was the first model year BMW started to use 8-speed DCT. It is possible that my finding was the result of software updates performed on that vehicle or it had no problem from day 1. Either way, I just hope that ACURA is working on this issue day and night to resolve this issue. Otherwise, we are going to buy a different brand next time.
Sorry, BMW have never made an 8 speed DCT. So your recollection is faulty.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:14 PM
Instructor

- no mention of problems in BMW forums that I can find.
I did a search too on the BMW forums and I could not find any complaints. There may be very few isolated issues. But its 8-sp transmission is very crisp, smooth, and delivers fuel efficiency even though it is Not a DCT. This makes me think what is the benefit of a DCT transmission? Or Acura simply just messed it up?
Old 03-27-2015, 08:51 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I did a search too on the BMW forums and I could not find any complaints. There may be very few isolated issues. But its 8-sp transmission is very crisp, smooth, and delivers fuel efficiency even though it is Not a DCT. This makes me think what is the benefit of a DCT transmission? Or Acura simply just messed it up?
DCT problems

They were buying cars back too!
Old 03-31-2015, 12:41 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
DCT problems

They were buying cars back too!
I don't want to prolong this discussion, but let's compare apples to apples.

BMW has a 7 speed DCT available on M Series, and also on some M wannabe cars like the old 135i at extra cost of $2K to $3K compared to the manual or regular auto. It is not a transmission they are currently offering on regular 328i or 335i models in the TLX price range - that remains the 8 speed torque converter automatic which has had virtually zero complaints.

Yes, the 7 speed BMW DCT has had problems as your link to the old 135i forum suggests. But the poster here was talking about a BMW 8 speed DCT, and such does not exist.

A TLX or ILX with a 200 hp I4 engine comes only with the new Honda 8 speed DCT transmission, you have no choice.

We can all go looking for things that are peripheral to the main subject at hand in this thread, but have no meaning. A 7 speed DCT available at extra cost on certain performance BMW models is not what the average buyer is going to encounter when comparing a normal BMW 3 Series to a TLX. What they will drive is the 8 speed torque converter transmission, and that's the one to compare to the Honda 8 speed DCT insofar as driving characteristics are concerned. Agreed?
jeremyw (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 02:03 AM
Instructor

BMW has a 7 speed DCT available on M Series, and also on some M wannabe cars like the old 135i at extra cost of $2K to $3K compared to the manual or regular auto. It is not a transmission they are currently offering on regular 328i or 335i models in the TLX price range - that remains the 8 speed torque converter automatic which has had virtually zero complaints.

Yes, the 7 speed BMW DCT has had problems as your link to the old 135i forum suggests. But the poster here was talking about a BMW 8 speed DCT, and such does not exist.

A TLX or ILX with a 200 hp I4 engine comes only with the new Honda 8 speed DCT transmission, you have no choice.

We can all go looking for things that are peripheral to the main subject at hand in this thread, but have no meaning. A 7 speed DCT available at extra cost on certain performance BMW models is not what the average buyer is going to encounter when comparing a normal BMW 3 Series to a TLX. What they will drive is the 8 speed torque converter transmission, and that's the one to compare to the Honda 8 speed DCT insofar as driving characteristics are concerned. Agreed?

Agreed. Good Logic.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:00 AM

Let me clarify - my intention wasn't to compare any BMW to the TLX - but rather to point out that when BMW rolled out a new DCT (years ago) they had problems that are similar to what Acura is having with their new DCT - which later seemed to have been resolved. As such we can hope that Acura will work through their growing pains in similar fashion. That's pretty much what the main thread is all about - no?
Stew4HD (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 05:42 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Let me clarify - my intention wasn't to compare any BMW to the TLX - but rather to point out that when BMW rolled out a new DCT (years ago) they had problems that are similar to what Acura is having with their new DCT - which later seemed to have been resolved. As such we can hope that Acura will work through their growing pains in similar fashion. That's pretty much what the main thread is all about - no?
+100
Old 03-31-2015, 10:58 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Today I stopped at a 4 way intersection on a slight incline. when I accelerated the car seemed to slip into neutral and revved up to 3k without engaging a gear. After a slow roll through the intersection looking like a 16 year old learning to drive a manual it finally found the gear. If this happens again I'm not playing the "software" game anymore. This is lemon law land.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm curious as to how many of you think Acura is actually going to make improvements to either of the new auto transmissions?

They are just completing inspection and repairs of the 9 speed parking "pin" problem which was clearly a use/safety issue, which is different than fixing something that just shifts poorly, harshly or abruptly.

Acura has announced that they intend to manufacture their own transmissions in the future. I have the 9 sp-auto, and when I addressed the harsh shifts at the dealership, I was quickly, and almost in a rehearsed manner told it was because I was driving in Sport Mode (not an acceptable answer to this customer).

Back to the question...how many of you think Acura will improve the shifting issues in the existing transmissions?

Last edited by JonfromCB; 03-31-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunkindonuts
Today I stopped at a 4 way intersection on a slight incline. when I accelerated the car seemed to slip into neutral and revved up to 3k without engaging a gear. After a slow roll through the intersection looking like a 16 year old learning to drive a manual it finally found the gear. If this happens again I'm not playing the "software" game anymore. This is lemon law land.
I just hope that no one gets T-boned while Acura is trying to find a fix. The safety aspect of the transmission issues is the scary part, aside from the performance issues.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
I'm curious as to how many of you think Acura is actually going to make improvements to either of the new auto transmissions?

They are just completing inspection and repairs of the 9 speed parking "pin" problem which was clearly a use/safety issue, which is different than fixing something that just shifts poorly, harshly or abruptly.

Acura has announced that they intend to manufacture their own transmissions in the future. I have the 9 sp-auto, and when I addressed the harsh shifts at the dealership, I was quickly, and almost in a rehearsed manner told it was because I was driving in Sport Mode (not an acceptable answer to this customer).

Back to the question...how many of you think Acura will improve the shifting issues in the existing transmissions?
I'm sure they are working overtime to figure this out. I didn't know much about acura when I bought the Tlx but I did remember hearing something about the bad tl transmissions. I figured that was a long time ago but in my mind the company still had a slightly tarnished image. A lot of people are buying the tlx and acura still has a lot of image to be tarnished in the future.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:25 PM
Instructor

As time passes and after several software updates, I have lost my confidence on Acura to eventually fix it. To sum it in short, all the previous transmission issues (before the software updates) have more or less come back gradually. To clarify, I have not used Sport Mode even once. I would tell any service manager to shut his/her pie hole if they tell me that crap. Now my concerns are:

1) the negative impact on the resale value of our TLXs when we eventually trade it in. Note that everyone is affected even if your TLX has not experienced any symptoms yet.

2) the "loss of acceleration or temporary jumping to neutral" problem mentioned Dunkindonuts is a serious safety issue. It happens to me a few times. However, it is very difficult to pinpoint and replicate it on a consistent basis. This seemingly random nature makes it difficult for us to accuse Acura (in a court of law or even at the local dealership) and difficult for Acura to fix the problems. You have to be able to locate and replicate the problems first before figuring out a solution.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
As time passes and after several software updates, I have lost my confidence on Acura to eventually fix it. To sum it in short, all the previous transmission issues (before the software updates) have more or less come back gradually. To clarify, I have not used Sport Mode even once. I would tell any service manager to shut his/her pie hole if they tell me that crap. Now my concerns are:

1) the negative impact on the resale value of our TLXs when we eventually trade it in. Note that everyone is affected even if your TLX has not experienced any symptoms yet.

2) the "loss of acceleration or temporary jumping to neutral" problem mentioned Dunkindonuts is a serious safety issue. It happens to me a few times. However, it is very difficult to pinpoint and replicate it on a consistent basis. This seemingly random nature makes it difficult for us to accuse Acura (in a court of law or even at the local dealership) and difficult for Acura to fix the problems. You have to be able to locate and replicate the problems first before figuring out a solution.
These two issues worry me as well. The most important being safety which I have to believe Acura must take seriously. Even the lunging issue when coming to a complete stop has safety implications. At this point, I'm not sure what can be done because it doesn't happen all the time. That's the kicker. What is the combination of actions or conditions to be able to consistently replicate the problem? If it truly is software related, that's what programmers need to know and be able to replicate consistently.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by JonfromCB
Early reports are that the 9AT is already working well in the 2016 MDX. I have not heard any +/- with the 8DCT on the 2016 ILX, but I expect improvements with both. I also expect that versions of these be made available to 2015 TLX owners who report problems rather than a widespread TSB.

They are just completing inspection and repairs of the 9 speed parking "pin" problem which was clearly a use/safety issue.
The way you wrote this makes it sound like a major problem, but I have not heard any reports of a resulting incident and Acura put a process in place to remedy any defective units which were a very small percentage of early production runs.

Often the two distinct problems of the two different transmissions are lumped together, and people throw in comments about one that really belong to the other (and it is difficult to tell as there is no model info in their sig) causing FUD.

The most difficult aspect of this situation is the cars all come from the same assembly line and a small percentage have a problem making it difficult to diagnose.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:08 AM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Just wondering why acura developed 2 transmissions. Sure the 8 speed strong enough for the V6, but why not put the 9 speed in everything. There are basic 4 banger Jeeps using it. Dunno if this has been asked before.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by a77
Just wondering why acura developed 2 transmissions. Sure the 8 speed strong enough for the V6, but why not put the 9 speed in everything. There are basic 4 banger Jeeps using it. Dunno if this has been asked before.
It's my understanding the 9 speed zf is a temporary solution until they finish developing an in-house transmission for the 6 cyl.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunkindonuts
Why wait?
Old 04-01-2015, 08:31 PM
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Software updates, relearn procedures and 5 dealer trips - Sadly... Its Lemon Law time

I've posted here a few times in this thread about my experience with the TLX and its 8 speed DCT transmission, but I just wanted to give everyone an update on my situation. Back in late February I got the 'latest' software update that was available at the time from TechLine, along with the break line re-learn procedure for the shift points and the idle learn procedure. I drove on it for about 2 weeks to fully validate if the new software made any significant improvements, and came to the conclusion that Acura doesn't know how to fix/resolve these issues. Slowly, but surely, the same old issues seemed to resurface, such as the lunging effect when coming to a stop as if hit from behind...the scary lag and 'slip' to neutral when trying to accelerate at low gears... the clunky and awful shifting while in slower, stop and go traffic...

I finally had enough and decided to take it into the dealership once again (5th time in there might I add), to let them know that the latest software had not fixed the problems. They ended up keeping the car for about 10 days and called in someone from Acura TechLine to do diagnostics with a technician test driving the car to gather data and to try to replicate the issues I've experienced. When I finally heard back from them, I was basically told that they could not replicate any of the issues I had told them about, and that TechLine advised to simply re-do the break line shift point re-learn procedure. There was no new software available, so they handed the car back to me and basically said sorry, we don't have anything more to do because we can't replicate the issues - good luck with your car.

I've reached the breaking point with this car and its transmission. I researched the Lemon Laws for my state, did a free consultation with a lawyer and have submitted my paperwork to Acura Client Relations to file for Lemon Law. Because I'm in Georgia, Acura will have the opportunity to perform a final fix on my car. If that does not resolve the problems, I will be filing for a full refund and plan to take my money elsewhere. I'm waiting for Acura to officially get back to me with their response after initially contacting them, but will update this thread in case anyone is interested..

At the end of the day, I'm disappointed it has come to this point. I liked the car and its potential, but the everyday driving mechanics are unbearable for me. I may have become hyper-sensitive to the small quirks with the transmission, but every-time something weird or unwanted happens, I get this horrible buyers remorse feeling for spending $35k on this car... I sincerely hope Acura fixes the problems with the transmission and that others will get the resolution they deserve.
The following 3 users liked this post by bbarber718:
crownr0yal (04-02-2015), jeremyw (04-02-2015), weather (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
It is so unfortunate that it has to come to this for Acura to take some of these issues seriously. I am glad I didn't jump on the TLX when it first came out given how far I live from the dealer.

Hearing that Acura is working on an "in house" 9 -speed transmission is not re-assuring either given the issues with the 8-speed and the fact they couldn't integrate the 9 speed unit from ZF without problems. *sigh*

I wanted this car so badly but I will not do it for a while until I am convinced Acura solved it....and I hope when they do, they will acknowledged that something went wrong and that they actually solved it.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 9-2014

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bbarber718
I've posted here a few times in this thread about my experience with the TLX and its 8 speed DCT transmission, but I just wanted to give everyone an update on my situation. Back in late February I got the 'latest' software update that was available at the time from TechLine, along with the break line re-learn procedure for the shift points and the idle learn procedure. I drove on it for about 2 weeks to fully validate if the new software made any significant improvements, and came to the conclusion that Acura doesn't know how to fix/resolve these issues. Slowly, but surely, the same old issues seemed to resurface, such as the lunging effect when coming to a stop as if hit from behind...the scary lag and 'slip' to neutral when trying to accelerate at low gears... the clunky and awful shifting while in slower, stop and go traffic...

I finally had enough and decided to take it into the dealership once again (5th time in there might I add), to let them know that the latest software had not fixed the problems. They ended up keeping the car for about 10 days and called in someone from Acura TechLine to do diagnostics with a technician test driving the car to gather data and to try to replicate the issues I've experienced. When I finally heard back from them, I was basically told that they could not replicate any of the issues I had told them about, and that TechLine advised to simply re-do the break line shift point re-learn procedure. There was no new software available, so they handed the car back to me and basically said sorry, we don't have anything more to do because we can't replicate the issues - good luck with your car.

I've reached the breaking point with this car and its transmission. I researched the Lemon Laws for my state, did a free consultation with a lawyer and have submitted my paperwork to Acura Client Relations to file for Lemon Law. Because I'm in Georgia, Acura will have the opportunity to perform a final fix on my car. If that does not resolve the problems, I will be filing for a full refund and plan to take my money elsewhere. I'm waiting for Acura to officially get back to me with their response after initially contacting them, but will update this thread in case anyone is interested..

At the end of the day, I'm disappointed it has come to this point. I liked the car and its potential, but the everyday driving mechanics are unbearable for me. I may have become hyper-sensitive to the small quirks with the transmission, but every-time something weird or unwanted happens, I get this horrible buyers remorse feeling for spending $35k on this car... I sincerely hope Acura fixes the problems with the transmission and that others will get the resolution they deserve.
Sorry for your troubles. I have had my car for longer then you and have experienced none of this. What is frustrating is the dealership not being able to replicate it, I kind of wonder if they had some guy drive it for 10 minutes and not find anything, what they should do is use it as a salesman car for a few days through a variety of situations.

Good luck. I wonder if there was a possible manufacturing problem with some tranny's since many others report no issues. The biggest complaint I have ever had was on really cold mornings no warm up the cars tranny would shift harder, but have always noticed any auto I have ever driven not behave as well in similar conditions.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by brutustlx
Sorry for your troubles. I have had my car for longer then you and have experienced none of this. What is frustrating is the dealership not being able to replicate it, I kind of wonder if they had some guy drive it for 10 minutes and not find anything, what they should do is use it as a salesman car for a few days through a variety of situations.

Good luck. I wonder if there was a possible manufacturing problem with some tranny's since many others report no issues. The biggest complaint I have ever had was on really cold mornings no warm up the cars tranny would shift harder, but have always noticed any auto I have ever driven not behave as well in similar conditions.
I am very interested in hearing how the lemon law works out. I'm convinced that someone working the manufacturing line on a midnight shift just didn't care and put out random bad transmissions. It's so hit or miss with cars all completed around the same build time. Luckily my state allows the lemon law for the entire factory warranty. At this point I'm awaiting a complete transmission failure so I can say "see, I told you so" to the dealership.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

jeremyw,

I strongly encourage you to take your car to your dealership (or another if they will not work with you) and demand that they contact Techline and update your car with latest software for the TCM. My car was update in early March and has been SOLID since it was returned to me around 3/9. I had almost all the problems listed in this forum and now they are gone. I was told by my dealer that they had to perform two re-learn processes after the update was complete.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jik1001
jeremyw,
I strongly encourage you to take your car to your dealership (or another if they will not work with you) and demand that they contact Techline and update your car with latest software for the TCM.
Thank you for your feedback with the latest software update. I had two previous TCM updates (1st update back in January; 2nd update back in February). My dealer called the techline and performed idle relearn. Both updates gave good results immediately but then the improvements seemed to fade away over time and the old problems came back. I was very pleased with the second update initially until about two weeks ago.

Now the lurching forward problem during stopping (especially a hard stop) has come back with a small twist. It seems like the problem is evolving: the hard bang used to happen right before a complete stop; now it happens at a slightly higher speed-around 8 mph: I brake to a stop and as soon as I remove my foot from the brake pedal. I point this out in detail because it is kind of interesting as the problem has evolved after the software updates.

In addition, the hesitation to accelerate after briefly coasting is dangerous and should be a safety concern. I will give it another attempt to let Acura fix the problem. I live in Oregon. Our lemon law permits filing during the first two years of purchase or lease.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Thank you for your feedback with the latest software update. I had two previous TCM updates (1st update back in January; 2nd update back in February). My dealer called the techline and performed idle relearn. Both updates gave good results immediately but then the improvements seemed to fade away over time and the old problems came back. I was very pleased with the second update initially until about two weeks ago.

Now the lurching forward problem during stopping (especially a hard stop) has come back with a small twist. It seems like the problem is evolving: the hard bang used to happen right before a complete stop; now it happens at a slightly higher speed-around 8 mph: I brake to a stop and as soon as I remove my foot from the brake pedal. I point this out in detail because it is kind of interesting as the problem has evolved after the software updates.

In addition, the hesitation to accelerate after briefly coasting is dangerous and should be a safety concern. I will give it another attempt to let Acura fix the problem. I live in Oregon. Our lemon law permits filing during the first two years of purchase or lease.
Jeremyw-

I did not get the first or second update...I was waiting for a permanent fix but when my car did the "neutral-like" episode when I was trying to make a left from a near stop with my daughter in car that put it over the top. I brought it in for my dealership and they had it a few days in early March when a rep from Acura was in. He informed my local dealer that a new addition (#3) was released that week which they installed. Now it is ALMOST perfect. Good luck!!
jeremyw (04-03-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 02:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks everyone for all your posts.

This is my first post and I am having a TLX 2.4 with tech. Now, my car has the latest TCM update on Friday(3rd April 2015), I see noticeable improvements but the update did not fix all the issues completely. I still see lunging forward before coming to complete stop.
Few members posted that it may 1-2 weeks for a smoother ride after the update. Is that really true?
Old 04-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ It's hard to say for sure. Some members have stated that a few weeks after the update, the cars started smoothing out and yet, others have stated that the update solved their issues only to see the symptoms return.

I feel for all of you with these issues and makes things even worse knowing it is not consistent.

Hang in there guys and gals....
Old 04-05-2015, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I am a regular over at Temple of Vtec and drive an '06 Si. I have been stopping over lately, to keep an eye on how this DCT thing is developing.
Just wondering if Acura should issue a service bulletin to do the right thing here, so that Service Departments are able to change out the tranny's and programming if need be, to save owners from having to go the lemon law route. The TLX seems like a real nice car, but having an untrustworthy transmission can be a major downer.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:16 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ I think everyone hhere would like Acura to solve this issue once and for all. It is unfortunate as Acura/Honda have something quite unique on their hand and there was a positive hype about this DCT with the torque converter HOWEVER, their initial software issue is ruining the hype and could leave a black stain on their brand which is not good.

For the record, I think your statement of "untrustworthy transmission" was a bit harsh as no one have been left stranded with their tranny, or very very very few anyway. I think its more that the transmission is not "cooperating in a smooth manner" would have been my choice of words
Old 04-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem you describe while stopping is the primary issue with my one week old TLX that now has about 1000 kms. In Sport mode I feel it more often than I want to and it's driving me nuts. The problem happens usually at a low speed deceleration and then stop. Hard stops when you slam the brakes don't usually cause it to manifest, it's always the slow stops. I don't really want to go to the dealer yet and get a software update before a final release is issued by Acura for fears it may introduce more problems. This is really unfortunate because I really like the car and all it's great features, but this one issue is ruining my new car experience.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ I think everyone hhere would like Acura to solve this issue once and for all. It is unfortunate as Acura/Honda have something quite unique on their hand and there was a positive hype about this DCT with the torque converter HOWEVER, their initial software issue is ruining the hype and could leave a black stain on their brand which is not good.

For the record, I think your statement of "untrustworthy transmission" was a bit harsh as no one have been left stranded with their tranny, or very very very few anyway. I think its more that the transmission is not "cooperating in a smooth manner" would have been my choice of words
Fair enough, but if at any point it left me powerless turning left through an intersection where there could be oncoming traffic I'd characterize it as untrustworthy, too. I drove two of these before I got my car, the trans was brilliant, it's a shame these issues have cropped up, hopefully they're fixed sooner rather than later and Acura can use this trans in more applications.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I hear ya on the loss of power going through an intersection and that is why I did make reference to a very very few were untrustworthy while the majority was simply not cooperating. What you described is legit for sure but I have only read a few occurrences unless I missed a few buried in the ever growing thread of the transmission woes.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:01 PM
10th Gear

^^ I hear ya on the loss of power going through an intersection and that is why I did make reference to a very very few were untrustworthy while the majority was simply not cooperating. What you described is legit for sure but I have only read a few occurrences unless I missed a few buried in the ever growing thread of the transmission woes.
Thanks for the reply. I hope it works out. Anyway, I will update you guys in couple of weeks how the transmission behaves.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:02 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the reply. I hope it works out. Anyway, I will update you guys in couple of weeks how the transmission behaves.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-06-2015, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
It is so unfortunate that it has to come to this for Acura to take some of these issues seriously. I am glad I didn't jump on the TLX when it first came out given how far I live from the dealer.

Hearing that Acura is working on an "in house" 9 -speed transmission is not re-assuring either given the issues with the 8-speed and the fact they couldn't integrate the 9 speed unit from ZF without problems. *sigh*

I wanted this car so badly but I will not do it for a while until I am convinced Acura solved it....and I hope when they do, they will acknowledged that something went wrong and that they actually solved it.
if you are going to wait for that ... you better get comfortable
Old 04-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I was having countless problems with my late 2013 RDX that were making me miserable, so I dumped the mf and now I have a grin in my face when I drive.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
if you are going to wait for that ... you better get comfortable
Too bad my Chevette doesn't have 8 way adjustable seats to be comfortable while I wait *lol*

I have a plan....
Old 04-09-2015, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2.4 TLX Transmission Praised by LeftLaneNews.com - I don't get it!

Check out the review. They start praising the transmission in the 4th paragraph. Why aren't they seeing what we're seeing?

Review: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4L Tech | New and Used Car Reviews, Research & Automotive-Industry News & LeftLaneNews

Quick Reply: 8sp DCT Transmission issues