2015 tlx v6 adv complete failure

Old 05-24-2015, 09:40 AM
2016 Lexus ES 350

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 tlx v6 adv complete failure

This morning all of my Acura's systems failed and i am not sure why. Please see video i uploaded. Anyone had an issue like this before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWNv...ature=youtu.be

thanks!
Old 05-24-2015, 09:52 AM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Well, the absolute best thing you can do in this situation is document the issue, and you did that with your video. I would at the very least call the dealer immediately and get them to look at it. Have you been having any problems prior to this? Is your battery OK, and by that I mean that it's fully charged and the connections are intact? I don't know if I've seen anything like that on this forum, but I remember someone having a lot of error codes and faults displayed on their display so perhaps they'll see this post and get you some answers.

Best of luck!!
Old 05-24-2015, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Does the car start? If not most likely a battery problem. I made the mistake of spending a day ripping CDs to the hard drive. At the end of the day I got something like what you are seeing. (I don't recall the details, but it was pretty scary.) Got the car started by jumpering to my wife's then took a long drive to charge the battery. All problems went away. (And I have not made the mistake of running in accessory mode for a long time since!!!!)
Old 05-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
It is not be a battery problem as on the video it showed that the car was started twice. Some sort of sensor or software glitch that the dealer show check into.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh wow! That is scary. What is your build date? And have you had any software updates recently?

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I hear your steering wheel making the same noise that mine does. Mine is at the dealer now for a airbag replacement.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:13 PM
2016 Lexus ES 350

The battery is good to go, starts fine. Deal Girl I noticed it today... same noise as yours... Did the dealer tell you that you needed a new airbag? Thanks for your input!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:14 PM
2016 Lexus ES 350

Build Date 09/14
Old 05-24-2015, 08:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bell_1821
The battery is good to go, starts fine. Deal Girl I noticed it today... same noise as yours... Did the dealer tell you that you needed a new airbag? Thanks for your input!
Yes but I basically told them that cause if this blog. Look at the thread I started that says steering wheel noise and there are two other ppl that had their airbag replaced so that's how I knew to suggest that. The tech removed it and the noise was gone. I haven't got it back yet cause they had to order the airbag but I hope to get it back this coming week. The other two ppl on that thread have gotten theirs back and it seemed to have fixed it.

Also, didn't you have trouble with the heated seats and remote start? My dealer did a software update for the dash controls and he tells me that is fixed now also. Just FYI. My build date is 12/14 but seems like we have had some similar problems.
The following users liked this post:
Bell_1821 (05-24-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 08:32 PM
2016 Lexus ES 350

Yes i had a software update and my heated seats have been working fine. If i can get the steering wheel noise fixed and whatever the hell is going on with all the sensors, i will be good to go.

thanks!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:45 PM
Advanced

Yea! I feel ur pain. I hope I don't have the sensor issue. I would be freaking out lol. Update us for the resolution when u take it in. I'm curious as to what they say.
Bell_1821 (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 04:27 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
A very similar thing happened to another early owner. I think they tracked it down to a faulty wheel speed sensor. I'm sure you'd be able to find the thread somewhere.
Bell_1821 (05-25-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 08:45 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
A very similar thing happened to another early owner. I think they tracked it down to a faulty wheel speed sensor. I'm sure you'd be able to find the thread somewhere.
That was me and Rocketman is precisely correct. It was an intermittent problem initially and then became more of a consistent problem. The first time it happened they suspected it was a low voltage problem from the battery which caused the problem because it corrected itself and didn't occur again for almost two months. When it became more consistent I took it in an they took a few days to track it down. It turned out to be a faulty wheel speed sensor. It was replaced in February and I have not had a problem since. Apparently, suspecting that the problem is a faulty wheel speed sensor may make the problem easier to find. I know that initially there were a bunch of error codes in the system which they cleared but the problem re-appeared. They had to have the tech take my car home one night and they caught it the next morning when the same problems in your video occurred.

The car was driveable, the brakes worked (not sure about ABS), but none of the added safety features worked. I did not have all wheel drive when the problem was occurring.

Good luck but I suspect they will be able to track this down and fix it. In my case it took a week to get the part because they were on backorder.
Bell_1821 (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 08:55 PM
2016 Lexus ES 350

Smoore, thank you for this information I will give this to the dealer when i take her in tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Great video log of the problem.

I had a partial failure with two systems failing. Didn't notice any drive/accel issues. When they replaced the fuel filler assy I haven't had a problem since. That was 2 weeks after I bought it. I am now at 13,000+ and no issues since. Man, you beat me on mileage.

Another driver had a weak battery which caused a similar issue.

In both cases, it seems a voltage drop for one error took down more than intended.

Best of Luck.
Bell_1821 (05-31-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 11:12 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Great video log of the problem.

I had a partial failure with two systems failing. Didn't notice any drive/accel issues. When they replaced the fuel filler assy I haven't had a problem since. That was 2 weeks after I bought it. I am now at 13,000+ and no issues since. Man, you beat me on mileage.

Another driver had a weak battery which caused a similar issue.

In both cases, it seems a voltage drop for one error took down more than intended.

Best of Luck.
Interestingly, when I owned a 2011 Infiniti M56, this was an issue with it and other Infinitis - low battery voltage would trigger all sorts of error messages and system failures.

These cars today are apparently so loaded up with electronics that 12v is almost inadequate, and maintaining battery health is vital.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike_TX:
Bell_1821 (05-31-2015), tlxsteve (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I also had this same problem, and it was a faulty rear wheel speed sensor. At one point it whacked the SHAWD so bad, all the torque was going to the rear wheels and it was bucking like a bronco. :-)

Last edited by 9SpeedTran; 05-28-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:38 AM
2016 Lexus ES 350

Tlxsteve, thanks. I've taken it to Texas a few times which is why the mileage is a little higher than normal. The dealership has had it since May 28th and they said they think they found the issue, but are not sure yet. They said they might fly Acura Techs down from Ohio to come look at it as well, really not sure. I share everything that we discuss on here with them so maybe it leads them in the right direction.

9SpeedTran, sorry to hear you had this issue as well. I did tell the dealership about the wheel speed sensor and they are going to look into it.

They've given me a 2016 TLX I4 TECH as a rental while mine is being fixed. Car had 4 miles on it and they had to take the plastic off the seats when they gave it to me. So I've been enjoying it, but it's not the same as my baby.

Thanks again everyone for all the help!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bell_1821:
sgilbert385 (01-15-2022), tlxsteve (06-11-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 05:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bell_1821
Tlxsteve, thanks. I've taken it to Texas a few times which is why the mileage is a little higher than normal. The dealership has had it since May 28th and they said they think they found the issue, but are not sure yet. They said they might fly Acura Techs down from Ohio to come look at it as well, really not sure. I share everything that we discuss on here with them so maybe it leads them in the right direction.

9SpeedTran, sorry to hear you had this issue as well. I did tell the dealership about the wheel speed sensor and they are going to look into it.

They've given me a 2016 TLX I4 TECH as a rental while mine is being fixed. Car had 4 miles on it and they had to take the plastic off the seats when they gave it to me. So I've been enjoying it, but it's not the same as my baby.

Thanks again everyone for all the help!
Did they track down the problem?
Old 06-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
[QUOTE=Bell_1821;15454512]They've given me a 2016 TLX I4 TECH as a rental while mine is being fixed. Car had 4 miles on it and they had to take the plastic off the seats when they gave it to me. So I've been enjoying it, but it's not the same as my baby. [QUOTE]

They made you take a rental and not give you a loaner?
Old 06-24-2015, 06:41 PM
2016 Lexus ES 350

Miner, that's what i meant "loaner".

UPDATE*

I've got my car back and it's running well. Only time will tell whether it will do it again. Dealer said they reset everything and relearned all the systems. The transmission pressure plate was leaking and they replaced that.

I will let you know if i have any other issues.

Thanks for the posts!
Old 06-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
FYI : this happened to me Saturday as I was driving along. I pulled over into the nearest parking lot and took a video of the same thing happening as Bell_1821 took because I didn't think it would be easy to duplicate at the dealership (lol... I hope not, anyway). I then turned the car off, and then back on. I could've sworn I saw it start cycling through a couple of the issues in the MID again, but then stop. I took it home, set up an appointment with the dealer and took it in. On that 10-15 mile trip, I never saw the problem again and the car seemed to drive fine. I remembered this thread and told the service guy that it may be an issue with "a wheel sensor" (couldn't remember what I had read on here) and he said he thought it was something to do with the actuators on the rear wheels of the P-AWS system because he had another guy show up with the same issue a few weeks earlier and that apparently was the problem. I don't know if the speed sensor is part of some assembly that includes the actuators, or what, though.

I'm supposed to get it back sometime tomorrow, so we'll see. Hopefully this isn't one of those "any of 20 things could be wrong but they all result in the same behavior on the MID (i.e. everything's failing! oh noes!)".

I was going to post the similarities between Bell_1821 and my situation like mileage, build date, P-AWS, etc., but then noticed that 9SpeedTran had a similar issue with a SH-AWD model.

Also, I'm in a 2016 RDX. I like the looks. But it's a base model I think, so I'm not that gung-ho about the interior. Rides and drives pretty well, although I miss the ride of the TLX. I almost bought an RDX when they came out, but decided against it. But I digress ...

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 06-29-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
wow.... whatever happened to Acura's reliability?

hope everything goes alright
Old 07-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Originally Posted by dwk331

teething pains with a new car line that has some great, advanced technology. It happens, look at how busy apple repair centers are!
potter223 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-03-2015, 11:50 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by dwk331

Originally Posted by csmeance
teething pains with a new car line that has some great, advanced technology. It happens, look at how busy apple repair centers are!
The complexity of cars is increasing at a non-linear rate. There is fierce competition between manufacturers to get this and that new gadget in their cars. The introduction of these new capabilities is outpacing a sensible development and testing process (in my opinion). So we get these odd interactions where a wheel sensor takes out the entire car. Probably never came up during testing of just a handful of developmental cars. But 10's of thousands of cars out of the road with millions of miles and failures happen that never happened during development. The higher complexity of new cars makes it more likely that these failures escape the test program. I can only image what will happen as more advanced technologies get introduced like self driving cars. Now THAT is scary.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Drifting

I forgot about this thread. Regarding my issue above, they replaced the actuators and I haven't had the fireworks display. I think they said it's something like a $3000 repair (?). Yikes.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Ouch! That is one of the drawback of so much technology in cars today...one failure can be crazy expensive.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The complexity of cars is increasing at a non-linear rate. There is fierce competition between manufacturers to get this and that new gadget in their cars. The introduction of these new capabilities is outpacing a sensible development and testing process (in my opinion). So we get these odd interactions where a wheel sensor takes out the entire car. Probably never came up during testing of just a handful of developmental cars. But 10's of thousands of cars out of the road with millions of miles and failures happen that never happened during development. The higher complexity of new cars makes it more likely that these failures escape the test program. I can only image what will happen as more advanced technologies get introduced like self driving cars. Now THAT is scary.
Last year on radio panel program in Toronto there was a discussion about Google's self-driving cars. One of the panelists made the following comment which I absolutely love. "I am prepared to accept that Google will be able to develop a car that can drive itself. I have just one question. When I am travelling in this car with no steering wheel, no accelerator and no brake pedal and the hour glass starts to spin on the dashboard what am I supposed to do?"
Rocket_man (07-11-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
^^ Make use of the back seat (beat Weather to this reply).
weather (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 08:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Darn...I couldn't reply fast enough. I was in the back seat of my car enjoying the moment and unable to connect with Acurazine. They don't joke around when they say that "Bounty is the quicker pick'er upper'
Old 10-28-2015, 06:43 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
FYI : this happened to me Saturday as I was driving along. I pulled over into the nearest parking lot and took a video of the same thing happening as Bell_1821 took because I didn't think it would be easy to duplicate at the dealership (lol... I hope not, anyway). I then turned the car off, and then back on. I could've sworn I saw it start cycling through a couple of the issues in the MID again, but then stop. I took it home, set up an appointment with the dealer and took it in. On that 10-15 mile trip, I never saw the problem again and the car seemed to drive fine. I remembered this thread and told the service guy that it may be an issue with "a wheel sensor" (couldn't remember what I had read on here) and he said he thought it was something to do with the actuators on the rear wheels of the P-AWS system because he had another guy show up with the same issue a few weeks earlier and that apparently was the problem. I don't know if the speed sensor is part of some assembly that includes the actuators, or what, though.

I'm supposed to get it back sometime tomorrow, so we'll see. Hopefully this isn't one of those "any of 20 things could be wrong but they all result in the same behavior on the MID (i.e. everything's failing! oh noes!)".

I was going to post the similarities between Bell_1821 and my situation like mileage, build date, P-AWS, etc., but then noticed that 9SpeedTran had a similar issue with a SH-AWD model.

Also, I'm in a 2016 RDX. I like the looks. But it's a base model I think, so I'm not that gung-ho about the interior. Rides and drives pretty well, although I miss the ride of the TLX. I almost bought an RDX when they came out, but decided against it. But I digress ...
I forgot about this thread. Regarding my issue above, they replaced the actuators and I haven't had the fireworks display. I think they said it's something like a $3000 repair (?). Yikes.
See TSB 15-050 - Multiple Indicators are On with DTC U129D in the 2015 TSB thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...letins-914607/
Old 12-17-2015, 08:17 PM
Drifting

So 6 months later, the same thing happens again. I call the nearest Acura dealership near me to see if I could bring the car in, but apparently all the service advisors were too busy because the lady that answered the call said she'd forward the info to a service advisor and have them call me back. Nobody ever called. I had called them to make sure they had a loaner available since I have to go to work tomorrow. They said a service advisor would have to look at it first before ok'ing a loaner. I'm thinking about taking it to another dealer since the fireworks display seems to have stopped. But there's nothing like driving in early morning rush hour traffic on a freeway for 30 miles hoping your car doesn't go into limp mode.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Drifting

So 6 months later, the same thing happens again. I call the nearest Acura dealership near me to see if I could bring the car in, but apparently all the service advisors were too busy because the lady that answered the call said she'd forward the info to a service advisor and have them call me back. Nobody ever called. I had called them to make sure they had a loaner available since I have to go to work tomorrow. They said a service advisor would have to look at it first before ok'ing a loaner. I'm thinking about taking it to another dealer since the fireworks display seems to have stopped. But there's nothing like driving in early morning rush hour traffic on a freeway for 30 miles hoping your car doesn't go into limp mode.
Just got my car back a couple of hours ago. As mentioned before, the last time when the fireworks started, they replaced the rear actuators. This time, apparently what was throwing the errors is going to be resolved by performing a "VSA modulator update". From what I recall when researching this last time (and those of you with more knowledge, feel free to correct me), the wheel speed sensors mentioned in earlier posts may be a part of the VSA system. The VSA modulator isn't a cheap part, to my knowledge. I don't know if they replaced it or did some type of software update. It was done under warranty.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:58 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Just got my car back a couple of hours ago. As mentioned before, the last time when the fireworks started, they replaced the rear actuators. This time, apparently what was throwing the errors is going to be resolved by performing a "VSA modulator update". From what I recall when researching this last time (and those of you with more knowledge, feel free to correct me), the wheel speed sensors mentioned in earlier posts may be a part of the VSA system. The VSA modulator isn't a cheap part, to my knowledge. I don't know if they replaced it or did some type of software update. It was done under warranty.
That's a technical term for snipping the wires to the warning lights so they won't come on again.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
That's a technical term for snipping the wires to the warning lights so they won't come on again.

Thank you. I feel much safer now. lol.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 133 Posts
My 2016 has done this for the second time.
The first time (2 months ago) I asked the service advisor about the wheel speed sensors.
They said, "No, it's only a software update."

This time, by coincidence, the indicator lights on the shift quadrant started working only on reverse and neutral.
They replaced the shift panel and though that it was the cause of the warning lights.

After a test drive, they found an error code: LR wheel speed sensor which they replaced.
Surprise! No more error codes.

Thanks to Rocket_man for being more astute than my dealer.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:55 PM
Drifting

Let's see.... it's almost been 6 months, so my car should be ready to have this happen again.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:23 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did replacing the speed sensors resolve the problems with the warning lights?

The dealer just replaced the “output shaft countershaft speed sensor and clear the light” under warranty on a 2015 FWD MDX that I have agreed to buy from a friend. The warranty will expire this year so I was curious if this fixed the problem long term for everyone or if it recurred later? If it didn’t fix it, i will likely back out.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:11 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure I’m doing this correctly-

Wanted to ask Rocketsfan if the issues were resolved?

Let's see.... it's almost been 6 months, so my car should be ready to have this happen again.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield
Wanted to ask Rocketsfan if the issues were resolved?
In my case, if you look at this thread, this happened to me twice. The first time it was apparently fixed by replacing the actuators (there is a TSB related to this which EE4Life posted in this thread). The second time it happened, they noted something like "VSA modulator update". Others that have said a speed sensor update fixed the problem (this may have been part of the "VSA modulator update" -- not sure). Those 2 failures happened 6 months apart. The last time was around Christmas of 2015. I haven't had the problem occur again since then.

But note that this fireworks display on the dash that you see in the original post's video seems to happen for all kinds of reasons and the only way to pinpoint the issue is by taking it to the dealer to see if they can isolate an error code. To anyone reading this thread, whatever you do, don't just assume everything is ok if you turn the car off and turn it back on and things work fine. In both of these cases, the car went into limp mode with sluggish acceleration and reduced top speed from what I recall. You don't want that happening to you on the freeway/highway while traveling at high speeds (like it did to me once).

Jules : also note this is for a TLX, not like the MDX you're looking for. It could be a similar issue (they may share parts and issues), but just making sure you knew which forum you were in. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2019, 06:46 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Rocketsfan: thanks for taking the time to write that detailed, informative post and sound advice. Good to know. It sounds like this event could get pricey if occurring outside of the warranty, considering the diagnosis is challenging and many culprits could require trial-and-error fixes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 tlx v6 adv complete failure