Weird loud bang today while driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Weird loud bang today while driving

I was driving on the highway today--first warm day of the year. Out of nowhere, there was a loud sound like something hit the car. I thought either I blew a tire (did not) or something came flying and hit the car. However, there was nothing in the road, and I immediately looked in the rearview mirror and there was nothing there, either. I stopped and inspected the car, expecting to see a big dent or some other carnage, and thankfully there was no damage.

It was like a loud bang or pop--and it almost sounded like the sound a private aircraft I used to fly on would make once in a while when it was pressurizing getting to altitude and the panels would flex or something (it was a little disconcerting, but the pilots always said it was no problem and didn't seem concerned, so I ignored it, but anyway...)

I'm wondering if maybe it was the gas tank or something because it was so warm out? It was loud and I swore I either hit something (although nothing was there), something hit the car or a tire blew out. Nothing. A phantom sound.

Has anyone else seen, or I should say, heard this? It's definitely a weird one...
Old 04-26-2009, 03:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anything could happen upstate New York, didn't you see Goodfellas? JK. Is a backfire possible? Bad gas maybe? I'm glad everything is cool, your title sounded serious.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I doubt it was a backfire. I always get my gas at the same couple of Mobil stations--for years--and have never had a car backfire.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same experience this evening - I just got onto a highway and was driving at about 100 km/hr I heard a loud bang at the front towards passenger side - I also thought either the front passenger tire blew up, but the tire sensor showed the pressure on all the tires was normal - then I thought may be I hit an animal or some kid threw a rock from the side of the highway - in the meantime the car was driving fine - got home and there was no dent or any visible damage
Not sure what was the cause
Old 11-28-2014, 09:56 AM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Last time a heard a loud bang, the transmission on my Infiniti was toast!
Old 11-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The transmission on your Infiniti was toasted as soon as you heard the bang or it took few days before it died ?

I heard the bang a week ago and been driving about 120 km every day since then and never heard the bang again and noticed no issues so far (knock on wood).

Originally Posted by LNJ
Last time a heard a loud bang, the transmission on my Infiniti was toast!
Old 11-28-2014, 04:50 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by achanna
The transmission on your Infiniti was toasted as soon as you heard the bang or it took few days before it died ?

I heard the bang a week ago and been driving about 120 km every day since then and never heard the bang again and noticed no issues so far (knock on wood).
It was instant. I lost all power. Had to leave the car on the side of the road.