Timing Belt Change - car now running rough

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing Belt Change - car now running rough

I bought the parts to change the timing belts (plus WP, tensioner, seals and pulleys) on my Pilot and 09 TL. Both needed new belts now so I was going to save some money and do both at once. I have not been able to get to the Acura so when the odometer went past 106k I took it to the dealer rather than risk waiting. So they did it all in a few hours and after I got the car back, I swear it is running rough. It was silky smooth before. If it is running rough, I would assume the Acura mechanic did not line up all of the marks and belt notches exactly as before and one moved slightly.

My knowledge of actually setting the timing goes back 30 years to my 71 Camaro when I held a timing light on the timing marks while turning the distributor. So I know nothing about the TL and how to check or adjust the timing. Appreciate it if any mechanics could chime in and let me know if: 1) the Acura mechanic could have caused it to run rough and 2) how to check and adjust the timing - is it something I can do or is it done by a machine.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Yes, it sounds like the mechanic messed up, and put the belt on without lining up the notches correctly. Bring it back and get them to fix it ASAP.

If you really want to see for yourself, there are usually white lines on the belt that relate to where the notches on the pulleys and crank should line up, but I wouldn't bother, as it seems very likely that this is the cause.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:17 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
The engine may also run rough if one of the connectors they had to disconnect didn't attach properly back on. Check the harness connectors around the engine. Also no engine light on yet? It may be that the timing marks are ok but the spark plugs are causing this. In any case, look through the peepholes on the front and rear cylinder covers to see if at top dead center things align, at least at the camshaft pulleys. But, to make sure you'll have to take off the crank pulley and the covers to re-check everything. Just some thoughts...
Old 05-03-2015, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tonyware
The engine may also run rough if one of the connectors they had to disconnect didn't attach properly back on. Check the harness connectors around the engine. Also no engine light on yet? It may be that the timing marks are ok but the spark plugs are causing this. In any case, look through the peepholes on the front and rear cylinder covers to see if at top dead center things align, at least at the camshaft pulleys. But, to make sure you'll have to take off the crank pulley and the covers to re-check everything. Just some thoughts...

Thanks. I will check the connectors and try to see the marks through the holes. No engine light. I replaced the plugs 6k miles ago at 100k. If the timing is off, even slightly, how is it adjusted?
Old 05-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CerberusKy
Yes, it sounds like the mechanic messed up, and put the belt on without lining up the notches correctly. Bring it back and get them to fix it ASAP.

If you really want to see for yourself, there are usually white lines on the belt that relate to where the notches on the pulleys and crank should line up, but I wouldn't bother, as it seems very likely that this is the cause.

Thanks, I was hoping the timing could be checked electronically, maybe for each cylinder(??) at a local shop before going back to the dealer as I would be expecting them to say everything is fine. I will take the cover off next weekend and check if the marks are there and lined-up. I was assuming using the white marks was for novices and that dealer mechanics would not even use them.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:23 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by bigrock40
Thanks. I will check the connectors and try to see the marks through the holes. No engine light. I replaced the plugs 6k miles ago at 100k. If the timing is off, even slightly, how is it adjusted?
If it is off slightly I guess it has to be re-installed. Before putting on the covers and finishing up, what I would do is to manually turn the engine clock-wise (with the spark plugs out). Put the bolt back on the crank and turn the engine with a wrench or ratchet slowly and see if the markings return to top dead center after 3-4 complete turns. Do that a few times to see if there are variations. Sometimes fatigue can make you forget. So, that little time spend turning the engine can do magic.

Also what most people do is to mark with some white marker the "teeth" of the old belt as it sits on the pulley's and re-mark the same on the new belt, count them one by one as it sits back on the pulleys.

Through the holes you'll only be able to see the cam pulley markings, not the crank. So your best bet is to remove the covers and look at the entire thing.

Last edited by Tonyware; 05-04-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tonyware
If it is off slightly I guess it has to be re-installed. Before putting on the covers and finishing up, what I would do is to manually turn the engine clock-wise (with the spark plugs out). Put the bolt back on the crank and turn the engine with a wrench or ratchet slowly and see if the markings return to top dead center after 3-4 complete turns. Do that a few times to see if there are variations. Sometimes fatigue can make you forget. So, that little time spend turning the engine can do magic.

Also what most people do is to mark with some white marker the "teeth" of the old belt as it sits on the pulley's and re-mark the same on the new belt, count them one by one as it sits back on the pulleys.

Through the holes you'll only be able to see the cam pulley markings, not the crank. So your best bet is to remove the covers and look at the entire thing.

Ok, thanks. I will pull the covers and see how they line up. That is the process I will go through when I change the Pilot's timing belt next weekend - transfer the white marks, count the notches and turn it a few times. Appreciate the advice.

This is not my year for timing belts. I just drove my old Solara home from PA where my son had it at college and it too now needs a timing belt. I thought it had a timing chain so never replaced it. 60k miles past the recommended change interval and still intact.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:04 PM
Acura Technician

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok, thanks. I will pull the covers and see how they line up. That is the process I will go through when I change the Pilot's timing belt next weekend - transfer the white marks, count the notches and turn it a few times. Appreciate the advice.

This is not my year for timing belts. I just drove my old Solara home from PA where my son had it at college and it too now needs a timing belt. I thought it had a timing chain so never replaced it. 60k miles past the recommended change interval and still intact.
not that complicated. line the white make on the crank pulley up with the arrow on the lower cover. remove to two rubber plugs on the upper covers and you will see the "1" marks. if the timing is off the CEL will come on after a few drive cycles and will code for misfire on every cylinder.
The following users liked this post:
bigrock40 (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 06:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
1 tooth out on timing doesn't always set a light. If the marks don't come close to lining up after lining up the crank pulley, spin it 360 degrees and check again - two full revolutions of the crank is 1 complete engine cycle.
The following users liked this post:
bigrock40 (05-06-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 10:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
I think the upper covers have inspection ports to check the timing marks.
I know my 99 TL had them on the first J v6 engine.
The crank has marks to line up. Might have to turn crank 360 if cam pulley marks don't show.
See item 2 on hyperlink below.
Honda Automotive Parts
Old 05-29-2015, 11:58 PM
Intermediate

All timing marks line up so roughness is not timing related. Also seems to be shifting at different points. Wonder if they would have altered the control software.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought the parts to change the timing belts (plus WP, tensioner, seals and pulleys) on my Pilot and 09 TL. Both needed new belts now so I was going to save some money and do both at once. I have not been able to get to the Acura so when the odometer went past 106k I took it to the dealer rather than risk waiting. So they did it all in a few hours and after I got the car back, I swear it is running rough. It was silky smooth before. If it is running rough, I would assume the Acura mechanic did not line up all of the marks and belt notches exactly as before and one moved slightly.

My knowledge of actually setting the timing goes back 30 years to my 71 Camaro when I held a timing light on the timing marks while turning the distributor. So I know nothing about the TL and how to check or adjust the timing. Appreciate it if any mechanics could chime in and let me know if: 1) the Acura mechanic could have caused it to run rough and 2) how to check and adjust the timing - is it something I can do or is it done by a machine.
All you need to be is out 1 tooth to cause issues. Get it checked. Sounds like the tech had an oopsie.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Acura Technician

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wonder if they would have altered the control software.
you don't seriously think that, do you?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WanaBeFaster
you don't seriously think that, do you?

Not talking about them trying to make it run poorly on purpose but rather maybe doing a TSB software update or something to make it shift differently.