Propeller shaft TSB?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Propeller shaft TSB?

anyone know if there is a tsb for the propeller shaft issue...my service dept is acting like they have never heard of it being a problem
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll be curious on this as well, as mine's currently at the dealer for a few things. Im waiting for the phone call saying "we dont see anything wrong with it...". Although their parts dept told me the other day they're stocking the driveshafts for the TL's.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Intermediate

Update on the driveshaft thing. While my TL is still under warranty, the dealer called and mostly acknowledged the problem, but said Honda is no longer covering the driveshaft replacement, even though the service writer said in so many words that there is a known issue with them. I asked how this could be, and he just said Honda is simply not covering the replacement anymore like they were at one time, because the replacement wasnt fixing the problem on many vehicles. I still want the driveshaft replaced, because the way I see it, this original one still went 48k miles, so even if the new one is the same design, Id likely still get a few years out of it. By which time, hopefully thered be a TSB. Ive now got a call into Acura about this, and the field rep is supposed to be calling me today or tomorrow. Whichever way this goes, Im irritated.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't believe there's a TSB, but I've had it replaced twice already on my 2012 @ 19K and @ 28K.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

This will be of interest to many of you. The rep from Honda just called, after I called them regarding the driveshaft bearing, and how the dealer said Honda wouldnt be covering it. The rep was very thorough and just generally cool, and explained that they just came out with an update for the bearing very recently, and that they're sending one of the updated shafts to my dealer for replacement. He also said that dealers dont even know about the update yet since its so recent. I was very happy to hear that, and with this I would expect a real TSB to come out for this soon. Good news for all of us.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by adam38
This will be of interest to many of you. The rep from Honda just called, after I called them regarding the driveshaft bearing, and how the dealer said Honda wouldnt be covering it. The rep was very thorough and just generally cool, and explained that they just came out with an update for the bearing very recently, and that they're sending one of the updated shafts to my dealer for replacement. He also said that dealers dont even know about the update yet since its so recent. I was very happy to hear that, and with this I would expect a real TSB to come out for this soon. Good news for all of us.
honestly i call BS on this one. the rep just doesn't want to admit that there's a fault with the design. In any case, at least you'll get it swapped.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Intermediate

Not sure why he'd BS me. And I should correct myself....this was a guy in CA, not the regional rep. The guy I spoke with may have been in engineering. And, he actually did state that he's been very aware of the problem, and that just replacing them with the original design hasnt been fixing them, at least long term. He stated the update is so new that even the regional rep or dealers havent been notified yet, but as of now, my dealer is aware. He said the new ones will have a different bearing in them, and that they're covering it under warranty. Not sure where the BS part comes in... he admitted there was a problem, and after them investigating it, they've come up with a fix, and that they're covering it. Works for me.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced

Don't get me wrong I'd be happy if in fact they found how to fix this flaw for good, but seeing how customer service reps like to bend the truth, I'd be surprised that his tale of super new/unannounced fix is true.
I had mine swapped last week for the 2nd time within 9K miles, maybe they already put the superadvanced fixed part in mine, but something tells me I'll be making another trip to the dealer after about 10K to fix the same issue.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Intermediate

The dealers dont even have the updated ones yet, so you unfortunately got one of the old-design ones. The fact that they're sending one to my dealer when my dealer has numerous ones in stock suggests that the one they're sending is different. To me there's nothing unbelievable about them just finishing the update and the dealers not having the new ones yet....im sure its somewhat of a process when an update comes out. Even if for some odd reason the updated bearing doesnt permenantly fix it, id still rather have this one installed than the known faulty, old design unit. But typically from my experience, when Honda updates something, its fairly legit. Compared to the other automakers that is.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Once you heard the whining sound, did it ever come and go? Funny thing on my '10 is that it was full on for about a week and then it went away as fast as it came.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
^Does this propellor shaft issue affect the SH-AWD 6MTs? I could have sworn a few weeks ago I heard a loud "whining fan sound" one point, but it disappeared after a couple of minutes.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
pls describe what happens when it fails
Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
some of you may find it interesting to know that the part number for the propeller shaft is the same for the 2009-2012, and the 2013 is a different part number....
The following 2 users liked this post by vinnier6:
Shoot2Thrill (01-17-2013), The_Tripzter (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Took my whip in for B16 Service and mentioned the Driveline Whine Noise to the Service Adviser. Tech took the whip for a drive, heard the whine, and they are replacing the Propeller Shaft. No issues or questions asked. Good Customer service.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Warranty repairs seem to get approval much easier if one brings the car in to do servicing at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
Alexander. (02-21-2013)
Old 07-23-2014, 07:09 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So did anyone find a TSB for the propeller shaft?
I believe that mine is making the noise and I'm dropping my TL off Friday for service and would like to show it to the service manager.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 35 Posts
Also interested as well.

Does the whine noise occur only when you give it gas? Like the sound stops when coasting?

I'm not sure if my noise is the propeller shaft but I can hear a hiss like metallic sound whenever I give it gas... almost sounds like a dried up (un-lubricated) roller bearing. I can easily hear it when driving with the windows down.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mynameisjacob
Also interested as well.

Does the whine noise occur only when you give it gas? Like the sound stops when coasting?

I'm not sure if my noise is the propeller shaft but I can hear a hiss like metallic sound whenever I give it gas... almost sounds like a dried up (un-lubricated) roller bearing. I can easily hear it when driving with the windows down.
This does not sound like the propeller shaft problem. The front prop shaft bearing makes noises at all speeds between 45km/h and all the way up to 130km/h +. Also, the noise level changes little with acceleration/deceleration.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:51 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a warranty the shaft is covered the dealership just replaced mines less than a month ago and now I had to bring back to have my torque converter replaced this week smh.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
I just had my propeller shaft fixed as well as the gurgling transmission filter last week at Muller Acura in Hoffman Estates. The propeller was making a terrible high pitch whistle at any speed above 40mph. When coasting to a stop you could hear it get louder before it died down like an old siren. I'd heard brief whistling before, but it was tolerable. We were on a 220 mile road trip and the sound was unbearable. We had the music cranked and you could still hear the high pitch, the faster we went the louder it got. When I first called Muller and explained the issue the service manager knew exactly what it was. They gave me a 2015 MDX tech for a loaner. No complaints about Muller - my car is a '12 SH-AWD tech still under warranty
Old 09-17-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced

What is the part number for the redesigned propeller shaft?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Dealer just called an confirmed that my propeller shaft is bad and needs to be replaced. They have to order the part. I want to make sure that I get the redesigned one.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Advanced

There is no TSB on the propeller shaft. They had to order a new part and the number for it is 40100-TK5-A03. Mine will be installed next week when the part comes in.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:47 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have replaced my TC and front motor mount per Tech to remove the noise but I still have this issue. sounds like diesel/grinding/bearing

I also filed w/ District case manager here in socal. I read on the other TL drivers but looks like there are many theories : heat shield, gas, drive shaft, tc issue, and so forth but not sure exactly what it is ,,,Any experts or driver had the same issue??

Last edited by steveheaven; 11-19-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propeller Shaft

I'd taken my '12 TL SH-AWD to the dealer a few weeks ago when I first started hearing this noise. Of course they drove it and could not hear it...

After a long drive over the past weekend I got much more familiar with the problem and it seemed to occur only after the car had warmed up a bit - 20 miles of highway driving - and then started about 40+ mph. The whine/squeal gets to a progressively higher pitch to being almost not noticeable at 70 mph. It gets more noticeable as you decelerate and doesn't stop until I come to almost complete stop.

Took it to the dealer this AM and the tech that rode me almost immediately diagnosed as propeller shaft bearing that needed replacement. I have about 68K miles on my TL and will be interested to see if the original warranty will cover. I have an extended warranty - but don't want to file any claims against it if I don't need to since the cost is refundable if I don't file any claims.

Taking it in next Tuesday for service - will let you know how I make out.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts
It should be covered under the factory warranty. I used extended warranty on wiper motor and passenger door handle replacement. Factory warranty covered prop shaft and bad battery on my 2009 TL Tech SH-AWD. I have warranty until 2016.

Last edited by echodigital; 07-01-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2013 TL with 20k miles and just had the propeller shaft replaced this week. At first they did not hear it but noted that once driven a bit further (warmed the bearing) they heard it and replaced the part. Transmission filter gurgle was fixed at the same time.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:09 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had mine replaced on my 2011 a couple months ago. from what I remember the whining noise was alot louder once it was warmed up. the service technician took it for a test drive couldnt hear it, had to go with them and we drove it for around 5-10 mins and he was then able to acknowledge it.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Noticed whistling noise while driving above 40 mph while car has been driven for 10 miles or so. Goes away under 40mph or so. Dropped it off at Acura Columbus and they could not hear the sound (of course). I left work early to drive with them. Finally was able to get master tech and tech manager to agree they heard it. I told them propeller shaft, CV, bearing ... something. They tried to say it was normal. Im like H* no its not. Car was not making the sound before I did a 600 miles round trip to Chicago. Word of advise if your still under warranty and miles allow drive the S* out of your car lol. They looked for the grommet near the window and they were all there (kudos for the Acura service bulletin on that). They are going to hook up the microphone and drive it. Hoping they finally agree with me its the propeller shaft. 2012 Acura TL AWD 6MT 13k miles.

Last edited by 614erich; 09-18-2015 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Adding text
Old 09-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Advanced

They tried to tell me it was the grommet as well. After they replaced it and the whistle was still there, they finally replaced the shaft. No more whistle!
Old 09-25-2015, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Just took my 2012 Tech SH-AWD to the dealer for this. The tech confirmed that there is no TSB out on this but all good techs will know about the issue. We took a 5 minute test drive and he goes "yup, thats the shaft". They had one in stock and I was out with no charge in less than an hour.

I took it to my old dealer for my previous RSX and the tech looked at me like I was nuts when I mentioned the symptoms on the TL lined up with the prop shaft. Started telling me that its not an issue for any model TL. I took my car to my new local dealer and left with no noise after about an hour! Shout out to Norris Acura in Ellicott City!!
Old 07-21-2016, 12:58 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
What exactly is it about the prop shaft that is causing the whine? This may be what I'm experiencing. It seems to only happen when the car is warmed up and I can hear it the most when I am slowing down to a complete stop.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:13 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman77
What exactly is it about the prop shaft that is causing the whine? This may be what I'm experiencing. It seems to only happen when the car is warmed up and I can hear it the most when I am slowing down to a complete stop.
Supposedly the bearings.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:15 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep I had the same symptoms.
It would do it when it was heated, so drive on a highway for a bit and then you would hear it. Especially slowing down. Sounds like it comes from the passenger side but it isn't actually.
Some people say whining, or kettle boiling noises. I could just hear a constant bearing like noise.
Dealer couldn't hear it driving like I could, but on the hoist it was extremely obvious.

It is the center carrier bearing because it is heated by the exhaust sitting around it and no heatshields or anything around the exhaust or the bearing. It just fries it over time.
Mine was just replaced under warranty at 75k kms. I'm debating using some sort of heat wrap on the exhaust in that area so it doesn't transmit as much heat to the bearing.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:22 PM
Pro

Okay, so if it's the carrier bearing that's causing the problem, then why are some dealers supposedly replacing the entire driveshaft?
Old 07-21-2016, 07:03 PM
LNJ
Racer

There is a rubber boot where the bearing is and that's where the noise comes from. As for why they are replacing the whole shaft, it seems like it's one piece because when I looked at the item list when I got mine fixed, I don't see a separate entry for the bearings.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:37 PM
Pro

You're right. It's sold as an assembly, and has two carrier bearings by the way.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:22 PM
Pro

I paid closer attention on the way home from work and I definitely think I need a new propeller shaft. It starting making the noise after driving for a few miles and is not doing dependant on engine RPM or gear (no change in pitch when placing in neutral). It is completely speed dependant. I'm going to take it to the dealer for a warranty repair next weekend. I believe one of my axles is bad too so I hope to get that taken care of as well.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:27 PM
LNJ
Racer

For those of you who got your propeller shaft replaced, did you guys also get a new heat shield?
I had my car on the hoist today and was armed with some anti-rust undercoating spray to spray my heat shield because is was very rusty the last time I saw it. But low and behold, it had a brand spanking new heat shield installed likely as part of the prop shaft TSB.
I don't see it listed in the parts portion of my work order so it seems like Acura just gave me a nice new one to go with my new prop shaft!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
LNJ, can you post a picture of your heat shield around the prop shaft's center bearing? I had my prop shaft replaced around 39-40k and my warranty just ran out. If it is a heat issue to that bearing, that I am going to see how I can get some protection around it.

Quick Reply: Propeller shaft TSB?