CEL & VSA lights on after changing timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CEL & VSA lights on after changing timing belt

I seem to have a problem with my 2005 Pilot. I changed the timing belt today (water pump, pulleys, hydraulic tensioner) and upon starting it back up, the VSA and CEL lights came on. I did everything by the book including transferring the marks from the old belt to the new belt and counting the grooves between all marks. Also rotated the crankshaft enough times for the belt to make 2 full cycles around the camshafts and crankshaft and re-checked the marks - all were aligned. I cannot see any wires that I did not re-connect, will have to check again tomorrow. Did not make it to the auto parts store in time to read the code. It feels like it is running ok. Has anyone heard of this before?
Old 05-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigrock40
I seem to have a problem with my 2005 Pilot. I changed the timing belt today (water pump, pulleys, hydraulic tensioner) and upon starting it back up, the VSA and CEL lights came on. I did everything by the book including transferring the marks from the old belt to the new belt and counting the grooves between all marks. Also rotated the crankshaft enough times for the belt to make 2 full cycles around the camshafts and crankshaft and re-checked the marks - all were aligned. I cannot see any wires that I did not re-connect, will have to check again tomorrow. Did not make it to the auto parts store in time to read the code. It feels like it is running ok. Has anyone heard of this before?

Took it to O'Reilly Auto Parts. They read 12 CEL codes and several lead back to the oil pressure switch. Some of the codes included rocker arm issues so was a little concerned at that point. Got home and looked under the car. The oil pressure wire was hanging loose so hooked it back on the switch and all 12 CEL codes are now gone. Lesson learned, one small issue can cause a cascade for CEL issues.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. We might need it one day. My Mother's Accord timing belt change is due in a few weeks (My 4th timing belt but they all have their little quirks).
The following users liked this post:
bigrock40 (07-09-2015)