2012 TL SH-AWD Advance - Whistling Noise

Old 06-04-2015, 05:40 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propeller shaft

Had same issue at 45,000 miles. Dealer replaced under warranty. 2012 tl awd.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My TL is only at 35000 km (~20k miles).

I picked up on the high pitched whistling at highway speed. It would appear after about 15 minutes of driving fast, then it would persist as the car slowed down and disappear eventually.

I took it into the dealer and described the issue and the service rep agreed that it may be the propeller shaft. So I scheduled an appointment to bring the car in hot and reproduce the noise.

When they got my car up on the lift, they discovered that one of my rear wheels was bent from a pothole, which threw off the rotation.

I paid for a new wheel and alignment and they changed out the prop shaft under warranty at the same time.

With that one data point, I think with this car it's important to keep tabs on your rear wheels since I would suspect that my problem was related to vibration in the drivetrain due to the off balance wheel.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:56 AM
10th Gear

Greetings All,

My 2010 has been doing exactly the same noise, but I m 5000 miles out of warrantee. I m wondering how hard it is to have the propeller shaft installed myself.

Cheers.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mid9pitstop
Greetings All,

My 2010 has been doing exactly the same noise, but I m 5000 miles out of warrantee. I m wondering how hard it is to have the propeller shaft installed myself.

Cheers.
If you're only 5,000 miles out, I bet they will work with you. Since it's a known, and somewhat common issue (I had mine replaced twice!), I'm betting they internally will extend the mileage for this issue. Doing it yourself would probably be a huge ordeal, but that of course depends on individual experience with car repair. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:13 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Buffa
If you're only 5,000 miles out, I bet they will work with you. Since it's a known, and somewhat common issue (I had mine replaced twice!), I'm betting they internally will extend the mileage for this issue. Doing it yourself would probably be a huge ordeal, but that of course depends on individual experience with car repair. Good luck!
You had it replace twice??
Was it at the same dealer?
Did they actually replace them twice or they just mickey mouse it first then replace it the second time??
Old 06-14-2015, 08:37 AM
10th Gear

Buffa,

That's what I'm hoping for, but will see. I'm scheduled to have it in next week.

Cheers
Old 06-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cooldude01
You had it replace twice??
Was it at the same dealer?
Did they actually replace them twice or they just mickey mouse it first then replace it the second time??
Yeah, I know, it's hard to believe, and I actually like the dealer I go to. Had it replaced, sound went away for 5,000 miles, then started up again. They were shocked because Acura claimed the replacement parts wouldn't be prone to the problem. My only guess is the first replacement was old stock or something. Not sure. I've gone 7,000 miles on this one with no issues, woo hoo! LOL.

I would have suspected they were just messing around with the original but after the first replacement, I even looked under the car and I could tell the part was new....well only because it was cleaner. They claimed the dealers can't service them at all, only replace them. They said I was the first to have it replaced twice. Maybe I'm just unlucky, my 2001 CL-S had the transmission replaced twice too! Of course, I took her to 160,000 miles over 10 years.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just had mine done under 70k powertrain warranty. Nice and quiet now

Mine was doing the same exact thing. They confirmed it within about 1-2 hours time. Part was in within 2 days while I drive a new TLX advanced. ( ...Meh... )

Now if I could only get some Acura Care help with my clutch master cylinder....

Anyone know I there is a thread on this yet? (Sorry, being lazy...)
Old 06-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Cruisin'

Propeller shaft. Had mine replaced under warranty at 46000 miles. I have 2012 tl awd.

Originally Posted by silverrevlis
I have a 12' TL Advance AWD with about 2500 miles. At speeds of 40 and above, I can hear a whistling noise coming from around the front passenger side of the car. The noise is louder with the front passenger window down. Anyone else have this? I'm wondering if this is wind noise coming from the brake cooling ducts, the active noise cancelling, the A/C compresser or something else.

Update: This sound only occurs at 20mph and above.
Propeller shaft. Dealer gave no hassle.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:48 PM
10th Gear

Just a follow up...

After half of an hour, the dealer claimed that the propeller shaft and the right half shaft were the root causes of the high pitch, metal grinding, and humming noises respectively. The first one was quoted for $1,500.00 and the 2nd one for $650.00.

While waiting to hear from Acura Care (as my warrantee ran out 5k miles ago), I decided to take care of the half shaft myself - only paid $150.00 online and about 2 hours to complete the work. The new half shaft didn't get rid of the humming noise, but swapping the tires from the front to the rear fixed that problem (I swapped the tire a month ago after I finished the timing belt job).

About the propeller shaft, I'm wondering if there's any safety related concerns that I should take immediate corrective action?

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct me if I'm wrong...

Propeller Shaft = Drive Shaft ?

This is what the SA told me, but it made sense.

(This might me obvious to most, but no SH-AWD no drive shaft )
Old 06-30-2015, 04:16 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by hurleyman123
Correct me if I'm wrong...

Propeller Shaft = Drive Shaft ?
uThis is what the SA told me, but it made sense.

(This might me obvious to most, but no SH-AWD no drive shaft )
Drive shaft
DRIVESHAFT - HALF SHAFT for 2010 Acura TL

Propeller shaft
PROPELLER SHAFT for 2010 Acura TL

Cheers
Old 07-02-2015, 10:14 PM
10th Gear

If you're only 5,000 miles out, I bet they will work with you...
Buffa,

You were right. I decided to call Acura Client Relations after the local dealer refused to offer any kind of assistance. A few days later I got a call from Acura Client Relations and was told that it will pay half of the costs for the propeller replacement.

I m happy.

Cheers!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

Propeller shaft noise

Consider yourself lucky if you don't have this noise, it drove me crazy for 3 weeks before I brought it back to the dealer.
I've got a 2012 SH-AWD TL with 38K. I bought it about a month ago after it came back from a lease. Having never owned a full time AWD vehicle before I just figured the few extra noises and sounds were just quirks of the extra drive gears and I thought the noise was normal. After my wife and a few different passengers commented "Is that a jet engine warming up" or "are we being chased by a bunch of angry bees?" every time I accelerated past 20 MPH, I knew it was time to do something. I checked the tire pressure, made sure there were no deer whistles connected to the front bumper, checked that all the windows closed tight and made sure there were no sticks/twigs/wires stuck into the engine or by the wheels without any changes, I decided to record the noise. I found a quiet street, rolled down the windows, fired up the iPhone and accelerated to 40 MPH then back to zero, recording the speedometer and tach the whole time. It actually came out quite audible. I performed the same thing with the windows up. Then I went to the dealer and test drove another 2012 TL AWD just to make sure, and that car was quiet as a church at midnight. Since the car is Certified, and I bought another TL from the same dealership 10 years ago, they scheduled an appointment and gave me a loaner. Turns out they had to replace 2191A8 Propeller Shaft (part# 40100-TK5-A03) AND my drivers side front wheel bearings and hub. They covered it because it was certified and it was done in about 6 hours (big thumbs up for Rizza in Orland Park, IL) so the quiet has returned! My only question now is, if they did a 180 point certified inspection of the vehicle before it was put up for sale, how'd they miss this?
Old 08-28-2015, 02:36 PM
10th Gear

I had the exact same issue with everyone else in this thread on my 12' TL with 45k miles on it. Took the car to dealer, test drove the car with technician. They said it's the propeller shaft bearing. Dealer ended up replacing the entire shaft for me.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:36 AM
1st Gear

Cool 2012 TL Propeller shaft

Hello, I recently purchased a used 2012 TL SHAWD with 71,000 miles on it. I bought the extended warranty from the dealer. 33 days later experiencing a annoying whistling sound above 20MPH. Took it to the local dealer Fair Field CA and told them what I thought it might be. They told me it was the axle. They called back later gave no explanation and gave me a price to replace the Propeller shaft. When I asked them why they originally said it was an axle, he gave me some story about similar terminology confusion in the service dept. He further stated that he had never heard of this being an issue (propeller shaft) Extended warranty I purchased covers all to the parts and labor if I use a Propeller shaft from the warranty company, it will only cover $898.00 of the $1150 dealer OEM Dealer part and I would have to pay the rest. Labor is covered either way. The dealer told me the warranty part is only covered for 12 months and the OEM is covered for three years and he said the warranty part is likely a "refurbished" not new. Feeling a bit skeptical, that I'm not getting the complete straight scoop from the dealer, I opted for the Warranty part. I'll advise how that goes.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:15 PM
J37A5

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Dumb question, but here goes: is it obvious this whistling noise? I mean, one would not be able to miss it?
Old 10-23-2015, 08:31 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yup, you are correct, I found this out this morning when me and the tech performed a differential diagnosis during a test drive. We found out is was the propeller shaft bearing. These were the symptoms:
  • Sound occurs above a certain MPH, in my case, 20MPH
  • Sound is not RPM dependant, and happens regardless of transmission gear selection or throttle application.
  • High pitched "metallic tea kettle", sounds like lightly squealing brake pads.
  • In the early stages, only surfaces once the vehicle has been driven for for several minutes. When I showed up to the dealer, we had to drive around for 5 minutes before the sound would appear.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HondaOwnerForLife
Dumb question, but here goes: is it obvious this whistling noise? I mean, one would not be able to miss it?

The whistling sound occurs when the prop shaft bearing heats up. In summer it gets really obvious but this time of year it need to be warmed up to be able to actually hear it properly.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:23 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive had these problems with my past bmw 3series rwd and x5 awd. It would drive me nuts, but it was something i had to live with as bmw describe it as being "normal" .
It the bearing that holds the center part of the drive shaft to the car. On the 3 series , after i swap out a new one, i would cover it with a piece of aluminum to keep the heat from the exhaust out. 20k miles later with no noise. It's the heat that is drying up these bearings, probably different bearings that are made for engine to tolerate heat.
My tl now is old and its got all kinds of noises that i couldn't tell them apart from transmission noise to road noise, valve ticking , interior rattles and what not.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:03 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Is there a grease fitting to regularly lube up those bearings ?
Old 10-26-2015, 01:58 PM
J37A5

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by SkN012
The whistling sound occurs when the prop shaft bearing heats up. In summer it gets really obvious but this time of year it need to be warmed up to be able to actually hear it properly.
Thanks. Maybe I am lucky in that I don't hear anything that sounds like a "whistle" or a "tea kettle" reaching it's boiling point. It seems that IF I had this problem, the "noise" would be evident to me. Not so lucky with the oil consumption issue, but getting the new short block this week. Just took it to the dealer this morning. Hope to have it back by Friday.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Means that your prop shaft is in check or else it would kettle
T
he sound is subtle practically inaudible when the car hasn't reached highway speeds for proper bearing heating. The first time I went to the dealer, the tech and I only went on city roads, it didn't manifest. Red a few threads on the zine and knew exacly I wasn't crazy. Found the proper way to recreate the problem. Went back to my local dealer and this time BAM we could hear it. Of coarse the warmer it is outside to more likely the sound will take no time to be heard. Same thing goes concerning driving habits
Old 10-30-2015, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Is there a grease fitting to regularly lube up those bearings ?
I dunno
Old 02-12-2016, 06:57 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I had same issue with my 4G TL AWD 3.7L. I took it to a dealer 3x and they could not find the issue. I told them what it was from the beginning and they wanted to argue with me about it. Even had a regional rep drive with me. Replaced rear diff and did not solve problem. I took it to another Acura dealer and they fixed propeller shaft = drive shaft and problem gone. The sound came on driving for about 10 min above 40mph. Push in clutch still made sound. Turned wheel did not affect sound. Breaking changed pitch but not volume. Driving between 40 to 50 and 70 changed pitch but not volume. The car came with a faulty bearing TK03. They since updated the part with TK05. I am not aware of any TSB but the RL is known for having same issue. Hope this helps out someone. If your having this issue you may want to bring in this thread for proof.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Does anyone know whether it's safe to ignore this problem if the sound doesn't bother me? My TL is well beyond warranty both in age and mileage and I don't want to pay $1000+ to get this fixed. My car just started making this noise recently, at first I thought it was wind blowing thru the vents but then I foudn this thread.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:20 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Repair should be done

If it is in fact a bushing, I'd say that it in fact should be done. You'd hate to have a breakdown.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:39 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In Sept '16 we took a 5,000 mile journey out west interrupted by a mule deer strike that destroyed windshield and drivers side door. We had to leave the car in UT for repair...5 weeks later I flew out and drove it home. Never noticed the whistling sound during the journey. Almost immediately after getting back we noticed the whistling sound and then went to FL for 4 months. Couldn't do any repair while in FL because the insurance Co didn't do business in FL. Sound drove me nuts...nearly all driving was done at 40-50mph...right in the sweet spot of the noise level. The pass side windshield trim strip was loose from the UT repair and I thought that once fixed the noise would go away. Got home and got the trim piece fixed but noise still there....then thought it was an air leak in a poorly installed windshield. Took it to a local glass place...he couldn't find it. Yesterday took it to a more auto related glass place and they couldn't find it either...in fact they did not think it was wind noise...really??? I was very close to the Acura Dealer so took it by there just for the heck of it and while I was telling this long story....he asked if it might be coming from propeller shaft!!! A comment like that meant he knew!! So I take it back to them today to have it R&R'd.

The propeller shaft is included in the 6 year/70,000 mile power train warranty. My '12 SH-AWD TL was delivered in Feb '12 and has 69,100....means I am covered!!

In retrospect I wish I had searched here for "whistle" or similar...I probably would have if the noise just started but the windshield replacement preoccupied my thoughts.

Thanks, Bob
Old 04-06-2019, 02:31 PM
10th Gear

I’ve been having a similar issue... I know this thread is old but hoping someone can help me..

Is the propellor shaft in the front of the car? My tea kettle whistle is coming from the front. My mechanic thinks it’s the front passenger drive shaft. Is there anyway I can fix this without paying the $1000 to replace the whole drive shaft?
Old 04-06-2019, 02:55 PM
10th Gear

Yup, you are correct, I found this out this morning when me and the tech performed a differential diagnosis during a test drive. We found out is was the propeller shaft bearing. These were the symptoms:
  • Sound occurs above a certain MPH, in my case, 20MPH
  • Sound is not RPM dependant, and happens regardless of transmission gear selection or throttle application.
  • High pitched "metallic tea kettle", sounds like lightly squealing brake pads.
  • In the early stages, only surfaces once the vehicle has been driven for for several minutes. When I showed up to the dealer, we had to drive around for 5 minutes before the sound would appear.
Is the propellor shaft in the front of the car? Is this the drive shaft? My mechanic is saying it’s the front passenger drive shaft that feels loose and is making the noise. Can you please confirm?
Old 04-06-2019, 03:21 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by dyp
After almost 2 weeks, I finally picked up my SH-AWD.

Good news is that so far, the boiling tea kettle sound is gone!

They had to get a new driveshaft shipped out from CA and had some delivery delays which is why it took so long. While they were inspecting, they heard some sound from the differential so had the fluid replace.

My dealer says this is only the 2nd time they've had to do this so not sure how common it is outside this forum.

But if you are hearing that high pitch, boiling tea kettle sound, definitely get it addressed by your local Acura dealer.

Good luck.
Hi, Im experiencing the same issue. My mechanic is saying it is the front passenger side drive shaft. Which side drive shaft did you have replaced? In your case it wasn’t the propellor shaft was it?
Old 04-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You shouldn't be having this many issues diagnosing this. Its VERY common and widely known to those who work on Acuras. I believe someone posted the TSB already that explains the problem and how to fix it. If you're guy is confused, I'd say go to an import shop. You could also go to a Acura dealership, do an oil change and explain the problem. Let them tell you whats wrong and hopefully because you did the oil change they won't charge you a diag fee, mainly because SO many TL's had this issue.

Status of my car? I sold it 3 years ago.