Check Emission

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Check Emission

So I have been getting the check emission light on and off the past few months, last time I took it to the dealership they just reset and said to come back when it came on.

I didn't have time, but had my b1 code last week, changed the oil at home and took the truck to get the wheels rotated at the dealership (ya i could have done it but was a bit lazy :P), so had them check the code.

On the documentation they gave back they said they cleared a code P1009 VTC Advance Failure. But they called and left a message, they said since I am using aftermarket oil filter (a WIX that costs more then their fram garbage), aftermarket oil (yes I use PP) and that I have an aftermarket drain plug (magnetic skunk 2 plug) that they think there is not enough pressure.

How does all this translate into a check emission light? Wouldn't this warrant a flashing oil light if pressure was not correct, or at least a check engine light!

Useless stealerships. At least I don't get charged and it's logged. I am 80% sure its the gas cap, seems to not hold pressure well in the colder weather hence a Check Emission Light (which is quite warranted for this situation) . My deductive reasoning behind this is because when the check emission light is on and I remove the gas cap I don't hear the release of air where was when the light is not on and I remove the cap I do hear it (I have tried it many times on many different cars, its the truth!). And also usually after filling up the gas the light would go away.

Last edited by mau108; 12-15-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had the same light with my 07 from day one and took it in and they said that it might be from not using premium gas which i only did once, a month after it had already come on. then they decided to go through my rdx looking for a fuel receipt and found one for 5 dollars of regular which from my vespa this is when i lost it on the service manager. they cleared it and told me to put two tanks of premium through and see, so i did and it came back on. so i took it in and they went through it and found out that the catalatic converter was completly wreck and melted inside so they replaced both of them. it hasnt come on in over 1 1/2 years. so you might want to check that out.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Well it hasn't come on yet.... but I will have to see.

It is possible the 94 octane I am using from Sunoco has 10% ethanol that could be damaging the cat.

I also changed the PCV last oil change and began to drive the snot out of the car, hopefully cleans up what ever it is causing this light.