clunging noise and hard downshift

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 11:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
clunging noise and hard downshift

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2009 rdx tech with 70K. I have changed all the front and back shocks, endlinks, and sway bar bushing. However, there is still clunging noise coming from the front driver side. I was told to grease the brakepad because when I apply brake the noise somewhat goes away. after greasing the brakepad the noise was less noticeable. After a week of driving the noise came back. Does anyone also experiences this problem? The noise bothers me because the noise gives me a unpleasant ride. another problem I have is I noticed when I'm coming to a complete stop I feel a jerk from the transmission downshifting back to 1st gear. usually the last gear before a full stop. seconds before a complete stop. The jerk seems to inch my car forward a little by the motion. I had did x3 transmission flush and rear diff. Is this suppose to be normal?
Old 05-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
It's normal to feel the transmission downshifting as you come to a stop, but it shouldn't be jerky or uncomfortable. For instance my passengers likely don't notice it, but I tend to feel everything my car is doing since I'm the one with my feet on the pedals and hands on the wheel.

As to the clunking, any way to get it on video? That might help the folks on here get a better idea of what's going on.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
RE: downshifting -- When I got my 08 in October it was surging or shifting hard at that same point. When I'd come to a stop sign I'd get what I thought was a harder shift as it went down to first. After reading some threads here I spent about a week really checking the transmission fluid level (it's kind of a pain) and adding enough to get the fluid level between the two dots on the dipstick. I added about 16 oz. of fluid over the course of the week to get the level just right, and once I did that the shifting smoothed out. I hardly notice it now.

The Acura dealer performed a transmission service on this car before they sold it to me -- I can only guess they left the level low by accident. Or they lied and didn't do it at all. Even though it feels good now I'm going to do a 3x drain/fill at my next oil change just for peace of mind.

Anyway, long story short -- I'd check that fluid level even though you just had the work done.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Intermediate

I finally got the chance to work on the rdx. I have replaced the shim and brakepad clips. However, I still experience the noise.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

I fixed the clunging noise. The brake pins wasn't producing enough pressure to push the caliber back in.however, I am still experience hard down shift from 2nd to 1st coming to a complete stop. The hard shift doesn't sounds good to the transmission IMO.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:51 AM
Intermediate

I checked my tranny fluid this morning. The fluid level is a little right above the highest dot on this dip stick. Is that consider normal on a cold engine?