moonroof shade ratting

Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
moonroof shade ratting

Dose anyone has experience for mooroof shade ratting when going on the uneven road. I moonroof shade is closed all the time. I always can hear soft of ratting when you are going on the uneven street. It is Ok on the highway. dose anyone has idea how to do a quick fix without going to dealership?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Cruisin'

I was going to post a new thread about it, but since this is somewhat on the same topic, Ill post it here.
Although my rattle is not the actual moon roof shade. My roof rattles right behind the moon-roof. It's VERY loud sometimes, and it's extreamly annoying, the sound is right above(and slightly to the rear) my right ear. It occurs when going over uneven roads and bumps (doesn't matter the size). It also doesn't matter if the moon-roof is fully retracted or not.
If I "tap" the area of the roof with my hand, it sounds loose, as if something is not fully connected.

I will take it to the dealer after all this snow crap slows down.

It's a 2010 I-4 with almost 1600miles.

As for your issue, Im sure it's normal for the moon-roof shade to slightly rattle, however, if it's louder than any other car you have been in with a sun/moon-roof. Then just take it to the dealer, it's still under warrenty.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Instructor

i think i have same issue like you. i am just not sure what cause ratting. because the area you heard it. it is exactly area i suspect it. so may not be a shade. it is tapping sound like you describe it. Can you keep me post it the solution from dealer? Thx.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:37 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have that same sound. Its on the right rear corner of the sunroof opening, slightly towards the outer edge. I can tap on it as well and it sounds like a metal plate or something is loose. I'm hesitant to take it to a dealer to fix it because I don't want them removing my headliner and screwing something else up. It doesn't rattle all the time...just on certain kinds of roads. I hear is probably 1% of the time if that...not very often.

I actually have another rattle that bothers me more...its right next to the front seat grab handles...the ones by your head. It makes kind of a boing spring noise when I go over bumps. I hear this one much more often. All the loaners I drove made it also...grrrr
Old 02-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Advanced

You could just crank the premium sound system up That pretty much kills any squeaks and rattles I have going on in the car!!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

tsxuser: I have not been able to make an appointment with the dealer yet, mainly because everything was shut down for a week because of the snow. I will try to make one sometime next week (work permitted of course). As soon as I do, I will let you guys know.

Katmai: This is the exact problem I have, although mine occurs much more frequently than yours. Just like you, I am not looking forward to having the headliner taken apart, however, at this point I rather have a misaligned headliner than that horrible rattle...lol.

I can try and make a video if you want, just to show how loud/where it is. I still can't believe a car at this price can make such a horrible noise after just 1000miles. Everytime I hear it, I feel like I made a mistake! (BTW, I also have the engine pinging problem).

Oh well, sorry for the long ass post.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Intermediate

my TSX tech has many noises (rattling) on the interior the rear pass side curtsy handle rattles the moon roof rattles the speakers blow the brake rotors warp the rear rotors are rusting the clutch feels like it going out im about to dump this TSX for something made in ANY where in the USA hmmm looks like im buying a bicycle
Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Hi Tastytreat,

Did you have a chance to check out your headliner noise. I recheck your post and find out actually not moon roof shade noise. it is headliner is making the sound. It close to right end of moon roof opening. when you tap it by hand you can feel the gap and in between. the other corner is Ok when you tap it.

Just like you said it is so debating to ask dealer to take headliner apart. it may cause more noises after put it back. I don't really trust their skills.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tsxuser
I recheck your post and find out actually not moon roof shade noise. it is headliner is making the sound. It close to right end of moon roof opening. when you tap it by hand you can feel the gap and in between. the other corner is Ok when you tap it.
I had this noise, amongst many others! I pulled the headliner down at the side of the moon roof aperture (be brave, just pull it ... it's held to the roof with a couple of velcro pads). I then stuffed a piece of paper between the velcro pads at the back end of the roof and pressed the front pads back together.

This is easily the noisiest interior of any car I've owned!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Racer

I just fixed mine today. The noise is caused by a 4 plastic mounting plate looking things attached to the headliner slapping against the sunroof frame right above it. I just put some sticky felt in between the two so they weren't smacking together and its totally quiet now.

Its a pretty simple fix...on the rear side of the moonroof opening just pull the headliner down at the snaps and you can see some 4"x4" white plastic parts and how they rest up against the metal frame. Just put some felt in between...I did it on both rear corners of the moonroof opening and also two other plates farther back toward the rear grab handles. I couldn't reach those so I used a wire hanger to get some sticky felt back there. It made the whole thing quiet.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Instructor

possible take a photo? I am going to give a try.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Racer

possible take a photo? I am going to give a try.
I tried to when I was doing it but my camera sucks. The opening when you pull the headliner down isn't very wide (maybe only an inch or so) and I couldn't get enough light back there to take a good picture. Like I said its rather simple to unsnap the headliner. Nothing is bolted except the front edge so just find a nice firmly attached edge in the moonroof opening (both sides and the rear) and pull down. You'll unsnap the velcro type fasteners. There are 3 on the back edge (one in the middle and two about half way to the corners), and two on the sides.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Do you need to open moonroof to do this or just moonroof shade?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Do you need to open moonroof to do this or just moonroof shade?
I did mine with the roof closed. I reasoned that if the roof were open it would have affected the way the rails sat in relation to both the roof and the headliner due to the extra weight.

It may not be necessary to fix the back clips. I cured my rattle with packing between just the side clips. Maybe try those first?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess this is 2010 models issue we have different LOL good lock!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Instructor

I really can't wait to give a shot.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Instructor

hi Katmet: How did you remove headliner? just pull down or somewhere I have to pay attention on it? did you pull down whole headliner? Can I do it without removing headliner? I am afraid of screwing thing up if remove headliner is a must.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:32 PM
10th Gear

I have the same noise on my 2010 too. I think I should try to get rid of it as you did. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Instructor

To SilverCU3 or Katmet or whoever did it successfully:

Please help
I did put a sticky felt in between of white platic plate and metal frame, but it seems nosie still remain. I don't know how big is your felt and did you put all the way to the rear ?
also when you tap it did you still feel noise with a felt?
Please advice.
Thanks a lot.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Instructor

To SilverCU3 or Katmet or whoever did it successfully:

Please help
I did put a sticky felt in between of white platic plate and metal frame, but it seems nosie still remain. I don't know how big is your felt and did you put all the way to the rear ?
also when you tap it did you still feel noise with a felt?
Please advice.
Thanks a lot.

There were two areas of noise attached to my shade.

One was at the back which, at times, I was getting confused with the noise from the rubber moulding surrounding the rear door. After I'd fixed the door rubber I was better able to assess the roof noise. It was coming from the very back of the runners. If the shade was pulled closed and it made the noise, I could stop it by sliding the shade back slightly. If the shade was opened by any amount when the noise started, I could stop it by closing the shade - or at least moving it forward a little. Sometimes it never made the noise at all but when it did, it was almost always when the shade was beyond half-way open. Fortunately for me, this seems to have fixed itself since I 'adjusted' the clips on the side of the roof opening. Maybe that's just co-incidence, I don't know.

The second area of noise came from the side of the roof opening and could again be stopped by moving the shade around. If I applied pressure to the headliner to the side of the roof opening (where it curves up to the meet the roof), the noise went. I could replicate the sound by pressing and releasing the headliner at that point. One day I was tired of hearing it so I put my brave hat on, I slid the shade back and pulled the liner down at the side of the opening. Inside there were two white velcro type pads, one towards the front and one towards the rear. I slid a piece of scrap paper between the two parts of the back piece of velcro and applied pressure to the front one, thereby refitting the headliner only at the front (the rear pad now had a piece of paper between it so it wouldn't re-attach to itself). This completely cured the problem and it seems there are enough clips around the opening for the headliner to stay put, even though one of the clips is no longer effective. It would appear that the vecro pad wasn't holding the liner properly and was allowing it to move as the shell flexed.

You need to be brave and just tug the liner down at the side where the noise seems to be. Once you can see inside the gap, it will all make sense. There are no plastic clips to break so don't worry.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by SilverCU3; 03-31-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Racer

I fixed mine with the moonroof open. I got on my knees in the front seats facing backwards with my head sticking out the moonroof. You don't have to pull the whole headliner down. Just unsnap the rear and sides of the moonroof opening down. It only comes down about an inch or two without bending anything, but even if you crease it slightly once you press everything back it doesn't show.

My noise wasn't from the shade. It was specifically on the rear corners of the opening where the white plastic plate sat between the headliner and the sunroof side rails. The plastic plate would rattle against the metal rails and make noise. Generally it sits right up against it, but I guess there was enough play to make it rattle.

Once I put the felt on, I couldn't make any more noise by hitting the headliner from below.

I pretty much covered most of that white plastic plate with felt. Its not really an easy place to make it exact, so I just used a piece large enough to cover most of it.

The noise on mine was just from the sides, but I put felt on anything I thought would make noise while I had the headliner separated.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Thanks. katmai. now I know what is going on? My noise is same like you, not shade. I was wrong at first place. I putted one 1"X1" felt in between but it seems not cure the problem. i can still hear noise when i tap it but it did reduce a little bit. I am going to give another shot to cover most of white plastic. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 PM
10th Gear

I just fixed mine tonight. I put a 15"x3" felt in between. Now it's much quieter. Thanks all of you!!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Instructor

To people who fixed the problem:

Oh, My God, I still can not fixed mine. I put a felt on the rear left coner in between. I can still hear noise when i test drive. Now I tap center of rear opening of moonroof I can feel the noise, But it feel like all the way to the rear seat area. Do you guys tuck in a large piece of felt in the center?

also I can not find a snap to unsanp the center part of headliner and I did not see white plastic seating there, but i really can hear noise when i tap it. Is any snap there in the center of rear opening? I really can not see anything without unsanp. Please help me again. Please. Sorry for long post.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:49 AM
Racer

To people who fixed the problem:

Oh, My God, I still can not fixed mine. I put a felt on the rear left coner in between. I can still hear noise when i test drive. Now I tap center of rear opening of moonroof I can feel the noise, But it feel like all the way to the rear seat area. Do you guys tuck in a large piece of felt in the center?

also I can not find a snap to unsanp the center part of headliner and I did not see white plastic seating there, but i really can hear noise when i tap it. Is any snap there in the center of rear opening? I really can not see anything without unsanp. Please help me again. Please. Sorry for long post.
There is a snap right in the center, but I don't think there is one farther back in the back seat. I think its just where the opening is. Maybe the sound is coming from somewhere else? The only sound I had was coming from the sides, so if you have some other sounds then I'm not sure where.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Instructor

I want to ask you guys when you said nosie is gone after putting a felt in between means complete slient regardless the road condition. I do reduce a nosie for small pothole, but for serial of potholes I still can hear headliner is flapping. >.<|||
Old 04-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Instructor

I want to ask you guys when you said nosie is gone after putting a felt in between means complete slient regardless the road condition. I do reduce a nosie for small pothole, but for serial of potholes I still can hear headliner is flapping. >.<|||
In my case, I managed to completely eliminate this particular noise, regardless of road conditions.

However, there's an area above the passenger side rear door which still makes the exact same sound as the headliner around the roof opening did.

The headliner is held in place over the doors by the door rubber. This moulding on my car seems too weak to hold the headliner tightly. This results in it 'shuffling' around as the body moves. It sounds like it's coming from the rear of the roof - but it isn't. This may be your problem, too?

I haven't had time to cure this one yet. Quite honestly, I'm rapidly losing the inclination to continue rebuilding this car. The rattles and creaks are appearing faster than I can resolve them and I'm now fixated on identifying the source of the noises rather than enjoying my journeys.

The Accord/TSX may have it's good points, but build quality certainly isn't one of them!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:14 AM
Racer

I wouldn't be able to say regardless of ANY road condition. I don't know where you drive. For the bumps I go over, yes it did fix the sounds. However, it only fixed the annoying buzz or rattle type noises from the spots I was able to locate. It doesn't fix a general vibration that isn't specific to one spot...for example the entire roof shuddering from hitting a sharp bump. My car is quiet enough for me...it doesn't make any rattles or buzzing noises, except maybe if I go over rough railroad tracks.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by katmai
However, it only fixed the annoying buzz or rattle type noises from the spots I was able to locate. It doesn't fix a general vibration that isn't specific to one spot...for example the entire roof shuddering from hitting a sharp bump
I'd agree with this. When I said regardless of road conditions, I meant within reason. Some of our potholes are a good 3-4" deep and accidentally falling into onr of these causes noises which go way beyond buzzing or rattling. But I think this would apply to all cars and says more about the condition of the roads than it does about the vehicle's integrity.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Thanks for all inputs. when I drove over serial of small pothole. i will hear maybe one or two buzz sound. also the gap between road and bridge. you know there is always a gap between road and bridge. Will you guys hear a noise for those condtions of road?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Instructor

Thanks for all inputs. when I drove over serial of small pothole. i will hear maybe one or two buzz sound. also the gap between road and bridge. you know there is always a gap between road and bridge. Will you guys hear a noise for those condtions of road?
It's extremely difficult to be objective regarding noises but I'd say if your buzzes only appear when you drive over broken surfaces and expansion joints in the road, then it's curable.

You need plenty of patience and someone else to drive whilst you sit in the back, listening. Once you locate the source of the noise, examine the construction of the area in question and then work out the best way to stop the noise. It's all about trial and error. Oh, and did I mention lots of patience?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey guys, after some miles I got this sound too. I also have some knocking when driving over very bumpy roads, and it comes from the "hand holders" above the doors. They are rattling, and when I push them, the sound is over.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by HHCZ
Hey guys, after some miles I got this sound too. I also have some knocking when driving over very bumpy roads, and it comes from the "hand holders" above the doors. They are rattling, and when I push them, the sound is over.
I had some buzzy sound when I went over bumps by the hand holders as well. I put some felt between the moonroof slide rail and the headliner, and most of the sound is gone. I still hear it faintly when I go over much harder bumps but its probably 80% better. Btw I had 3 different loaners that made that sound as well.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Instructor

I would like to ask one more question regarding buzz sound on headliner, b/c i am still getting buzz sound overhead. I did put felt in between. it did elimate most of sound, but i suspect other buzz sound is coming from center of headliner from end of moonroof opening to rear seat. I can hear metal sound when you tap it. But it seems like i can not put anything in between, b/c i did put one small felt in between when I open moonroof shade I think felt has been push back to end of headliner.

Can eveyone tell me is this normal to hear metal sound when you tap center of headliner from end of moonroof opening to rear seat?

Sorry for long post.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Instructor

I fixed it finally. It end up the buzz sound was coming form rear right passenger overhead. I did not realize there is another white plate sitting there making the noise. It seems Acura did put a small flet there already, but it is not enough to stop noise. I finally use coat hanger to tuck a felt in between. Now it is nosie free for my headliner. It is bothering me for couple months.

Thanks for your guys valueable inputs.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thread revival.
My moonroof is killing my nerves.
Rattle rattle rattle!

I put a double-sided tape, around 3mm thick at all of the whites plastic pads both up and down. It made NO difference, but then, it was completely silent like a magic. Then it starts again. I am driving everyday on the same road to work, and some days the moonroof is silent, other is like before. How the hell is that possible?

I really don't know what should I put where more. You are guys putting some cloth to make tension between the roof and the roof-padding?