Replacing Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 06:48 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Alternator

My alternator failed the other day, luckily it was as I was parking the car in the garage. Not wanting to fork out a heap of cash to have the towed and then pay top dollar for a new alternator, I decided to do it myself.

The first sign of the failure was a whining nose from the alternator when I started the car, I knew it wasn't good but decided to drive it to the shops anyway. When I got home a parked the car the battery and air back lights started flicking on alternately. I turn it off and then it would start again, I immediately thought there goes the alternator...

I couldn't find any detailed descriptions on how to change the alternator as it’s easily visible part and looks like a serviceably I was confident I could do it.
As the alternator is shared with the Accord EX, I found a video on how to change the alternator on that car and it’s exactly the same!

A few key notes:
  • There is no need to remove any other components to remove the alternator
  • The power steering reservoir slides off and you can remove the relay for the radiator fan, this allows access for a ratchet
  • I needed a uni-joint on the ratchet to get the hardest nut off

2004 Honda Accord EX DIY Alternator Replacement

How to remove serpentine belt
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=694433

Getting the alternator off and on, took about 2hrs.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
I've found some amazing DIY videos on youtube; it's the first place I look now if I have a new chore. The alternator replacement has actually been covered pretty thoroughly here, with a few good DIY threads, but with the dismal search engine we have to suffer with on the site, it doesn't surprise me that you couldn't find anything on it. Where you did you get the new part? New or re-manufactured? How much? Anyway, good luck with the car.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kacxx
My alternator failed the other day, luckily it was as I was parking the car in the garage. Not wanting to fork out a heap of cash to have the towed and then pay top dollar for a new alternator, I decided to do it myself.

The first sign of the failure was a whining nose from the alternator when I started the car, I knew it wasn't good but decided to drive it to the shops anyway. When I got home a parked the car the battery and air back lights started flicking on alternately. I turn it off and then it would start again, I immediately thought there goes the alternator...

I couldn't find any detailed descriptions on how to change the alternator as it’s easily visible part and looks like a serviceably I was confident I could do it.
As the alternator is shared with the Accord EX, I found a video on how to change the alternator on that car and it’s exactly the same!

A few key notes:
  • There is no need to remove any other components to remove the alternator
  • The power steering reservoir slides off and you can remove the relay for the radiator fan, this allows access for a ratchet
  • I needed a uni-joint on the ratchet to get the hardest nut off

2004 Honda Accord EX DIY Alternator Replacement

2004 Honda Accord EX DIY Alternator Replacement - YouTube

How to remove serpentine belt
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=694433

Getting the alternator off and on, took about 2hrs.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I have several questions:

1) What year is your TSX?

2) Are you the original owner or did you buy used?

3) How many miles does your car have?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Simba91102
I've found some amazing DIY videos on youtube; it's the first place I look now if I have a new chore. The alternator replacement has actually been covered pretty thoroughly here, with a few good DIY threads, but with the dismal search engine we have to suffer with on the site, it doesn't surprise me that you couldn't find anything on it. Where you did you get the new part? New or re-manufactured? How much? Anyway, good luck with the car.
I got a re-manufactured unit and it cost $200.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 AM
7th Gear

Its an Accord Euro 2007

Original owner

Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 AM
7th Gear

I live in Australia, hence the Honda Accord Euro... I find there's more details online about the Acura TSX.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kacxx
Its an Accord Euro 2007

Original owner

It is very unusual for the TSX / Euro Accord to have only 70,000 miles and need a new alternator. This is the earliest failure I have read about in these forums. What brand is the original alternator? Is it a Denso alternator or another brand?
Old 11-30-2013, 06:53 PM
7th Gear

It was the denso alternator in the car, the guy who refurbished it said the diode had failed and is a common fault with this densio alternator.