NEED HELP! TSX shake/vibrate at around 50-65 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP! TSX shake/vibrate at around 50-65 MPH

i have a 04 6 speed tsx, car drive fine and no shake/vibration at 0 to 45-50. but once it reach around 50-65mph it vibrate/shake, but fade away when i get up to like 70ish mph. it shake more when im going up hill and are around that speed too. i rebalance the tires twice and problem still there. couple week ago i notice that one of my rear tires is slightly bend. replace it and thought that was the problem but the vibration is still there.. what could it be? anyone know? appreciate the help. thx

Last edited by jonnyntech; 10-19-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine does the same, too. I have an 06 MT. I'm gonna take it to the dealer this week since I still have warranty. Let you know what they find out
Old 10-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Intermediate

thx, let me know what they find out. hopefully i can fix this issue, it getting annoying, especially when we own a tsx and the car act like a cheap old car...
Old 10-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I have the same problem from 55-65, and from what I've hear here and people at Acura it's most likely a bad driver's side CV joint. I'm getting the axles replaced soon so we'll see if that fixes the problem, I have an 04 6 speed too.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:23 PM
3rd Gear

axle

its ur trans axle i went through 2 but it stopped after i had gotten chamber corrections for the front end tho
Old 10-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jstuner84
its ur trans axle i went through 2 but it stopped after i had gotten chamber corrections for the front end tho

so it was still there when you change yoru axle?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 PM
3rd Gear

the first time i changed it it went away for about 10,000 miles then came back but my car is lowered as far as it will go with coilovers so i went ahead and correced the cambers in the front and back cause i also had a strut go out in the back but since i put all new struts and shocks on it and got the cambers fixed and a new trans axle havent had a problem and i got almost 30,000 miles on the new one...
Old 10-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jstuner84
the first time i changed it it went away for about 10,000 miles then came back but my car is lowered as far as it will go with coilovers so i went ahead and correced the cambers in the front and back cause i also had a strut go out in the back but since i put all new struts and shocks on it and got the cambers fixed and a new trans axle havent had a problem and i got almost 30,000 miles on the new one...

nice will try to get new axle soons. where did you get your axle from?

anyone got these before?

http://acura-car-parts.macautoparts....oductInfo.aspx

is automatic and manual axle different?
Old 10-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Instructor

just came back from the dealer..Nothing wrong was the diagnosis. They hooked my car up with their computer while driving my car around. Nothing wrong came up. They told me they did a computer 'upgrade' on my power train. Huh? I guess it was recommended. I however, was not happy since I had a Hondata reflash on my ECU. Chances are that was a total loss. My car is fully stock now. I guess it could be the gas i put in my car that might have caused the problem, who knows...Will see in the coming days ahead if it still acts up.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:20 PM
detour

i just recently starting to get that...im going in for service 2moro... and ill see whatsup
Old 10-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Saeyon
i just recently starting to get that...im going in for service 2moro... and ill see whatsup

yeh let us know the result thx
Old 10-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Bad news guys. At least from my experience in my '04. I had shaking on acceleration in the band between 55-60 MPH. Going above or below removed the shaking. Finally bit the bullet and took the car in and they tried the balancing routine. When that didn't fix it the car went back again and it was the inner CV joints. Here in Cali it set me back about $1K. The car drives like brand new now.

This sucked when hitting a freeway onramp or when going up and down in CA traffic - I would always hit the 55-60 MPH mark and I was vibrated to death. My vibrations occurred at different RPMs and would NOT occur when reving the car in Neutral.

My $.02
Old 10-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingkong222
just came back from the dealer..Nothing wrong was the diagnosis. They hooked my car up with their computer while driving my car around. Nothing wrong came up. They told me they did a computer 'upgrade' on my power train. Huh? I guess it was recommended. I however, was not happy since I had a Hondata reflash on my ECU. Chances are that was a total loss. My car is fully stock now. I guess it could be the gas i put in my car that might have caused the problem, who knows...Will see in the coming days ahead if it still acts up.
A computer connection won't detect this if it is the same symptom I had because there is nothing wrong with the engine for the computer to report. I never got a check engine lamp yet something was definitely wrong. If you don't get a CEL then there will be no code stored in the computer.

The only way my problem was finally diagnosed was through a diligent technician.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
This really is starting to sound like an Achilles's heel of the TSX....

We do have a few options available:

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=3480

Marcus
Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Driveshaf...-pr-63462.html

does this work for both manual and auto? are auto and manual axle the same??
Old 10-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stevestr
Bad news guys. At least from my experience in my '04. I had shaking on acceleration in the band between 55-60 MPH. Going above or below removed the shaking. Finally bit the bullet and took the car in and they tried the balancing routine. When that didn't fix it the car went back again and it was the inner CV joints. Here in Cali it set me back about $1K. The car drives like brand new now.

This sucked when hitting a freeway onramp or when going up and down in CA traffic - I would always hit the 55-60 MPH mark and I was vibrated to death. My vibrations occurred at different RPMs and would NOT occur when reving the car in Neutral.

My $.02

i have the exact same problem as you! so all you did was replace the axles?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stevestr
A computer connection won't detect this if it is the same symptom I had because there is nothing wrong with the engine for the computer to report. I never got a check engine lamp yet something was definitely wrong. If you don't get a CEL then there will be no code stored in the computer.

The only way my problem was finally diagnosed was through a diligent technician.

btw, didn't i see you on the 15 freeway yesterday? i was in a white 05 TSX.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Its axles. I responded in a thread a while ago about this, but I got the same axles that Heeltoe is selling, but from a different vendor at that time. Point being, I'm still vibration free after 13k miles.

DIY Axle Replacement
Old 10-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by moda_way
Its axles. I responded in a thread a while ago about this, but I got the same axles that Heeltoe is selling, but from a different vendor at that time. Point being, I'm still vibration free after 13k miles.

DIY Axle Replacement

if i may ask, where did you get your axles from? thxx
Old 10-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Drifting

My axles are getting REALLY bad, it used to be only under hard acceleration but now any throttle from 50-70mph shakes the hell out of the car.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnyntech
if i may ask, where did you get your axles from? thxx
Both Excelerate and Heeltoe sell them. I'll let you do the leg work from there as both are fantastic site vendors.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by moda_way
Both Excelerate and Heeltoe sell them. I'll let you do the leg work from there as both are fantastic site vendors.
i just bought a pair from heeltoe couple days ago, can't wait to get it and put on, this vibration/skake is annoying.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:48 PM
detour

well i went in... and i had to reschedule for this check up..because it takes the whole day to check the car, drive it and i have to get a loaner. as a result im bringing it in this week..
Old 10-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Intermediate

i just bought a pair from heeltoe couple days ago, can't wait to get it and put on, this vibration/skake is annoying.
it probably the axles.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Intermediate

I'm also having shaking problems but it comes and goes like crazy. I've had the car into the Acura dealer 4 times and they keep saying my wheels were out of balance and say it's fixed now. On my drive home the shaking still comes and goes.

This morning I was accelerating hard on the on ramp to the interstate, once i was on and going 70-80, the steering wheel was shaking like crazy. Then it'll calm down a little, then it'll get worse...

Any ideas on that guys? My car is under warranty still but the damn dealer won't fix anything.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Instructor

it's the axle

ok guys, a little update on this 'shaking' problem of mine. The first time I brought the car in, they did a test drive and could not determine the problem. They thought it was the engine and so they did a bunch of tests and found nothing. Since then I didn't get the problem until last weekend when I drove in the highway. At the specific speed of 55 to 70mph, this is when it start to shake. Under 55mph, the car runs ok. So I made an appt today and specifically told them I need to drive the car myself during the test to show the technician where the problem was. And guess what, it happened and the technician was convinced. I also told them that a bunch of us has the same problem and it was the axle that was the culprit. They have to order the axle and install it on my car on Wednesday. Will keep you guys update once that is done. The bottom line is. You HAVE to drive the car to show them where/when the problem occurs, which is at 55 to 65 mph. Also, reinforce to them that the problem might be the 'axle' and tell them that we all have encountered this issue. Good luck to you all.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kingkong222
ok guys, a little update on this 'shaking' problem of mine. The first time I brought the car in, they did a test drive and could not determine the problem. They thought it was the engine and so they did a bunch of tests and found nothing. Since then I didn't get the problem until last weekend when I drove in the highway. At the specific speed of 55 to 70mph, this is when it start to shake. Under 55mph, the car runs ok. So I made an appt today and specifically told them I need to drive the car myself during the test to show the technician where the problem was. And guess what, it happened and the technician was convinced. I also told them that a bunch of us has the same problem and it was the axle that was the culprit. They have to order the axle and install it on my car on Wednesday. Will keep you guys update once that is done. The bottom line is. You HAVE to drive the car to show them where/when the problem occurs, which is at 55 to 65 mph. Also, reinforce to them that the problem might be the 'axle' and tell them that we all have encountered this issue. Good luck to you all.
yeh keep us updated after you get the axles installed. I'm still waiting for my axle from heeltoe once it come in i will install it and see how it goes. thx
Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 PM
3rd Gear

I had the same problem at 80-100 km on my 05 TSX and had the dealer replace both axles and now the problem is gone.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Instructor

problem solved

Took the car to the dealer today to have both front axles replaced. So far no problem. The car drives solid. I'm happy. Kudos to Ed Voyles Acura in Atlanta for a superb customer service Got to drive the new 09 TSX for loaner. Frankly, I'd rather keep my 06
Old 11-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Advanced

I had this same problem. I took it to the dealer and they replaced my front right axl. Wow! What a difference! The shake/shutter is totally gone!
Old 11-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Intermediate

I just got my axles from heeltoe last week, going to install it this tuesday. hopefully i get the same good news as everyone here =D
Old 11-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Intermediate

I just got my axles from heeltoe last week, going to install it this tuesday. hopefully i get the same good news as everyone here =D

after 2 hours(a hour trying to take the axle nuts off because it was in there really tight) of axles install on the tsx, the new axle is finally in... took it out for a drive and the VIBRATION IS GONE!!! thx god! it was worth the 360 dollars. thx heeltoes for the axles and the quick shipping. can't wait to enjoy the long drive to work tomorrow haha. thx guys for the help. another tsx with "mysterious vibrations" is fixed!

Last edited by jonnyntech; 11-18-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Intermediate

you guys ever try axles by http://www.raxles.com/products.aspx best axles ever! i was dropped on my maxima and i kept going through axles than i swapt raxles in and no issues i put them on around 70k and got rid of the car at 112k and no issues at all. check em out. If my TSX has issues and i'm out of warranty i will definitely get em.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
after 2 hours(a hour trying to take the axle nuts off because it was in there really tight) of axles install on the tsx, the new axle is finally in... took it out for a drive and the VIBRATION IS GONE!!! thx god! it was worth the 360 dollars. thx heeltoes for the axles and the quick shipping. can't wait to enjoy the long drive to work tomorrow haha. thx guys for the help. another tsx with "mysterious vibrations" is fixed!

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. Got another set for another guy now. I wonder what the deal is with TSX axles????

Marcus
Old 11-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Drifting

I got my axles from MrHeeltoe yesterday and got them swapped in, the vibration is finally gone
Old 11-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Sweet!

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Hmm. Can anybody explain the vibrations in detail? Ever since I bought new tires, I've had vibrations above 60 MPH. It's more of a harmonic vibration than a "pulsing"...although depending on the road I do get a pulsing vibration. I've had the shop (America's Tire) re-balance my tires twice (after the original install) and it's much better, but not the way it was with my old tires (I had Yokohama YK520's installed, used to have Fuzion ZRi's). Also, the vibration is mostly felt through the steering wheel. As a passenger, the ride feels pretty good.

Is it possible the harder tire enhances any play the axels may have, or could it be that the America's Tire I went to just sucks at balancing wheels?

Like I mentioned before, I didn't have any of this before the new tires. I'm going to take my car to a shop my uncle recomends that does really good precision alignments, wheel truing, and wheel balancing and see what happens, but now I'm paranoid that it's the whole axel thing.

Last edited by thunder04; 11-29-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thunder04
Hmm. Can anybody explain the vibrations in detail? Ever since I bought new tires, I've had vibrations above 60 MPH. It's more of a harmonic vibration than a "pulsing"...although depending on the road I do get a pulsing vibration. I've had the shop (America's Tire) re-balance my tires twice (after the original install) and it's much better, but not the way it was with my old tires (I had Yokohama YK520's installed, used to have Fuzion ZRi's). Also, the vibration is mostly felt through the steering wheel. As a passenger, the ride feels pretty good.

Is it possible the harder tire enhances any play the axels may have, or could it be that the America's Tire I went to just sucks at balancing wheels?

Like I mentioned before, I didn't have any of this before the new tires. I'm going to take my car to a shop my uncle recomends that does really good precision alignments, wheel truing, and wheel balancing and see what happens, but now I'm paranoid that it's the whole axel thing.
even thought i replaced my axle, the skaking and vibration is gone but i still have the same problem u describe above. it felt through steering wheel. i think it the tires or balancing. i will get it rebalance and see how it is.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by thunder04
Hmm. Can anybody explain the vibrations in detail?
Well for me it wasn't so much a "vibration", as a relatively violent side to side shake.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
ow my eyez hurts to read dis here thread yo. >^(
Old 12-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
This really is starting to sound like an Achilles's heel of the TSX....

We do have a few options available:

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=3480

Marcus
Yup, seems to be a common sore point with the 6MT TSX. It’s amazing that there is still difficulty in diagnosing this issue amongst Acura dealerships. My problem cropped up shortly after getting my second set of replacement tires. It took at least two visits to the dealer, one trip to a dedicated tire installer (that had a road force balancing), replacement of one bent rim, and several attempts at wheel rebalancing from various repair shops before the vibration source was traced to a faulty passenger side CV joint. The dealer did eventually locate the problem, however, but the repair was rather expensive. Here two older threads that relate to this problem:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36756 https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...7806&highlight
They have some good tips from several sources that aid in diagnosing this problem.

I suspect that I one too many hard launches coupled with wheel hop may have led to the CV joint’s premature demise. The VSA probably offers a partial safeguard in this respect, since it mitigates both. However, with VSA “ON”, the vehicle’s fun factor is somewhat diminished. I wonder if the stock TSX CV joint is common to other, lower powered K-series Honda applications.

This should be one issue to watch for when purchasing a used TSX 6MT since the fix can be rather expensive. I’ll definitely be on the lookout for upgraded axils when and if any of the “stockers” crap out.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! TSX shake/vibrate at around 50-65 MPH