( I really need help please) Rack and Pinion Leaking after motor mount repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
( I really need help please) Rack and Pinion Leaking after motor mount repair

Hi Fellow Aziners,

On Thursday I got a long overdue rear motor mount changed on my 06 TSX. Once done the car felt like a champ, drove super steady and really smooth. That was the only issue I was having that I knew about up to that point. Then the very next day I wake up to a car with almost no power steering fluid and power steering difficulties with the power steering pump sounding like it was bad. There was no leak before the work at all. So I filled it up with fluid to the top. By the next day all my fluid drained again and emptied completely and my power steering was gone and it was obviously super hard to steer now (power steering pump sound was gone because the system was completely dry). My question is this, could the mechanic have caused this or could it be that the excessive vibrating now no longer present would have caused this from before and it's just a coincidence as far as the timing. I really trust my mechanic and he always charges fair and have never had this type of issue before. Thing is the leak is coming from the rack and pinion boot that sits right below where the motor mount that was changed is. It appears the leak is in the middle of the boot and not at a joint or from a hose. How would I be able to tell if it was accidental, purposely or just a coincidence? Also if it's just a lack of power steering fluid, how long can I drive the car and what will happen if I have to keep driving it for a few weeks? I posted on TSX forums but nobody is helping there so i am posting where i see a lot of people, its more of a general question anyway.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
Sounds to me like the mechanic damaged it in the process. I would stop by and ask what he will do for you, but then again you don't want a pissed off mechanic working on your car.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really need to drive the car, whats the worst that could happen if i drive without power steering fluid? Will something break and render the car useless and make it worst?
Old 01-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Look up the price of a new power steering pump and a new steering rack, plus labor charges.
You won't want to drive much after that.
The following users liked this post:
lojik (01-28-2015)
Old 11-20-2018, 06:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I did see this post was almost 4 yrs ago BTW.LOL

Even tho this is super old I've been looking at lots of sites about power steering leaks on TSXs and a large number of people's cases seemed to spring up suddenly like yours, so I would wager on it being unrelated to the mechanics work. In my case I have no idea how it started bc my brother had my 05 TSX from 2010-just recently & drove the shit out of it even after the pwr steering leak. All I know is now it won't hold a drop of fluid. He never even took it in for the recall dealing with the hose but from everything I've read it doesn't seem like that would have made a diff. There ought to have been a recall on the entire pwr steering system bc there's been WAY too many cases where TSX owners have had 2 replace these components, the majority being the rack (an expensive burden for those unlucky enough to encounter this prob after warranty)!

anyway, out of curiosity, how did you go about dealing with your issue? What did your mechanic have to say? Were u able to tell your mechanic about it in a way that didn't sound like you blamed him? What all did you end up having to get replaced to fix the leak?

​​​​​​