96 Acura TL 3.2 tie rods and steering column problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 08:20 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 Acura TL 3.2 tie rods and steering column problems

I had to get tires put on my car and they told me my tie rods were dangerously bad and needed to be changed now ever since the car shakes like crazy unless I pull the wheel to the right, I have had to do this for a little while until I could get the money to fix the problem, now when I go to turn either way the steering wheel makes a loud "POP" then continues to turn. I have almost hit others while driving cause of this. When looking for the part I finally found the inner, outer, and the steering column/rack for a good price, the guy would only sell all three cause he said they had to be fixed together. I knew I had to fix the tie rods and the info was very helpful on how to change just the tie rods but the guy that sold me the parts said on a 96 Acura TL 3.2 the inner tie rod is apart of the steering column so it all needed to be changed as well is that true or was I just scammed into buying more parts?? That's my first question my second question is how do you change the steering column?? If the part has to be changed then I kinda need to know and if I was scammed into more parts then it couldn't hurt to change it since I have the part right?? Please help I really need to know
Old 03-19-2015, 01:25 PM
2nd Gear

well he was wrong about the inner tie rods being connected to the steering column. They are connected to the rack and pinion. As for the steering column, that is fairly simple. You'll have to remove four bolts that hold it in place under the dash. But first remove your negative cable from battery and pull air bag. Then you'll find three connectors behind the air bag where your clock spring connect (one is for the horn, the air bag, your cruise control switches, and there's one more tiny black connector). Remove them. then with a 9/16ths socket, remove the center bolt attaching the wheel to steering column. I did not need a special tool to remove my wheel on my 97 acura tl. i simply used a rubber hammer and hit it evenly on the backside of the wheel until it popped off the gear. There steering linkage is what conects your steering column to your rack and pinion. That is probably where your getting that pop noise. If those two 10 mm bolts are not tightened to 16 ft lbs properly, then the gears will not lock and your steering wheel will rotate freely until the gears engage again. If that the case, then it should be a simple fix. Simply jack up you car and get underneath. Right behind the sub frame behind the rack and pinion on the drivers side, you'll find the steering linkage. Use a long extension and a torque wrench set to 16 ft lbs to tighten the two 10 mm bolts on steering linkage. Rotate the wheel as necessary to gain easy access to tighten both bolts. I have replaced the entire steering components on these cars. Hope this helps let me know if you have any more questions
Old 03-19-2015, 01:30 PM
2nd Gear

be mindfull of your clockspring. It has to be centered (rotate it all the way to the left or right, then do 2.5 turns in the opposite direction to ensure it is centered). It might be ruined if you over turned it before, so be sure to check it. Also, make sure your wheels are straight ahead when you do this. This will ensure that your rack and pinion is centered. Good luck!