Mystery Noise At Low Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 10:09 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery Noise At Low Speeds

Ok, window resolved, on to the next issue (I signed up here 3 years ago and been lurking ever since, finally decided to jump in with all my questions)

The noise is hard to describe... it's sort of a combination of a hum/moan with slight grind sound, it will happen in almost the same spot in the usual route I go, and only while slowly accelerating at the 35-40mph range with my foot lightly on the gas. If I take my foot off or mash it, it goes away. I can almost feel it in the pedal too. I never pay attention to the rpms when this happens but I'm sure they're pretty low obviously.

Sounds like nothing I've ever heard from any other car I've had, I've had this car since 118k miles and had the transmission extended warranty replaced with about 45k miles on it since. I'm afraid it's going to wind up being tranny related. It always happens at the same spot (slighty uphill spot if that gives any clues) and may happen from time to time around town... not always though.

I found a thread discussing similar but I don't remember what the resolution was, if it was true to what I'm going through, or even where to find it again (or if it was this site even).

Any clues?
Old 09-30-2015, 09:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
ck the axle bearings and wheel hub bearings
Have you kept up with trans fluid changes since the rebuild?
Ck the motor mounts

axle or hub bearing, or motor mount problems could be felt thru the pedal
Stop thinking its trans- that just brings bad luck!

Do you have jackstands? Get a mechanics stethoscope from harbor freight tools for 4$ or 10$ at parts store.
Friend helping on my bike tried it and couldn't believe how well every little tick or rotation noise could be heard clearly!

Once you are properly equipped, put the car on the stands- have helper run thru rpms and gears while you listen for sounds.
The one that doesn't match the others...likely suspect~

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 09-30-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:55 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
ck the axle bearings and wheel hub bearings
Have you kept up with trans fluid changes since the rebuild?
Ck the motor mounts

axle or hub bearing, or motor mount problems could be felt thru the pedal
Stop thinking its trans- that just brings bad luck!

Do you have jackstands? Get a mechanics stethoscope from harbor freight tools for 4$ or 10$ at parts store.
Friend helping on my bike tried it and couldn't believe how well every little tick or rotation noise could be heard clearly!

Once you are properly equipped, put the car on the stands- have helper run thru rpms and gears while you listen for sounds.
The one that doesn't match the others...likely suspect~
Thanks for replying, I'm going to check those things.

I hate to jinx myself by saying tranny, but the few times Ive used the ss I didn't have the problem so that's one of the things that has me worried.

My cash tightened up over the last several months but now I have the extra cash to tackle the pm I should've been doing, so no haven't flushed the tranny but planned on in the next few days.

I was planning on taking it to Honda tomorrow until I learned about this 3x3 thing today...
Old 10-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

use of SS will not show the trans problem, in order to get it to act up for testing-
you have to do repeated full throttle to 25-35mph then slow down, repeat ~10 times until trans begins to slip- you have found the worn clutch problem!!
or its all good to go as is~

refrain from the word flush which implies a machine force fed fluid change- that will kill a TL trans! (except acuras special machine) we do a manual gravity drain and refill
IF doing the 3qts x 3 time method- no more than 5 minute drive between drains-
with use of each gear up and down- thats every gear, a few times
That pushes old fluid thru and helps to do a better job

Are you aware of the external screw on atf filter?

Note you may get 3 to 3.5 qts on a draining, on the last fill make sure to ck level and again in the morning ck it again
NEVER run it low on fluid- or above full!

Get honda DW-1 atf at honda or acura dealer
Old 10-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Team Owner

to know if the clutches are coming apart- take a 3 ounce sample of the draining atf and send to Blackstone Labs with 25$ for a mass spectrograph reading and interpretation of the fliuds contents
certain particles show up with different wear happening!