Confused on 03 TL A/C Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 07:03 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused on 03 TL A/C Issue!

Hey guys, I just bought a 2003 Acura TL 3.2L and it is my favorite car that I've ever owned! I recently have been having issues with my A/C system and being new to this car, I was hoping for some advice on where I should go from here. In a nutshell:

My baby does not blow cold at all. The heater works fine. The compressor seems to be working, and after googling for a little bit, I ran across a post informing me about the DTC self diagnosis tool that can be accessed from the climate control unit. I ran this procedure and was given indicator K, signaling a problem in the air mix control unit. I ran across a great thread that explained possible DIY solutions to correcting this problem (found here , but I must admit.. I am only now starting to get serious about cars and barely starting to get comfortable taking mine apart. I wanted to try this to see if it would fix my A/C problems, but I feel as if my symptoms do not match those in the thread (no 'knocking noise', no issues with my heat, no inconsistent temperature bursts.. mine cold air simply does not work).

My question is this: Would it be stupid to try this DIY instead of just taking it to a dealer and having them see if that is the true problem? Or do my symptoms point to another issue that I should get checked FIRST?

Thanks, from an noob enthusiast!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:12 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hehehe, and a side question.. is there a way to edit posts? I typed this without proof reading and now I look silly -_-

Thanks again!
Old 07-31-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Hello! and welcome to the forums.

First of all, Are you sure the A/C system is charged? If so then the Air Control Mix Motor might be your issue regardless if its clicking or not.. The click actually happens when a tooth of the main gear breaks but total failure of the motor unit itself can also happen.

Way to check:
1.- Open your hood and locate the heating hoses going through the firewall, There should be a link with a mechanism attached to the hose.
Make a friend/relative start the car while you look at this mechanism and make your friend/relative cycle between FULL HEAT/FULL COLD this mechanism should move the linkage in the hose.

2.- Look below the glove box in the passenger foot well area you should see the ECU in the far left just below the A/C cooling vent for the foot area. Just on top of it there is the Air Mix Motor Unit

Pic:
The little part with the green plug on top of this picture is the Air Mix Motor.

Make a friend cycle between FULL HEAT/COLD and that motor should move its arm.

If it doesn't your motor has failed thus the vent inlet is stuck on the heater area instead of the condenser.. The only reason you don't get heat while being in the heater area is because the linkage on the heater hose is closed, so you get room temp air.

Hope this helps and here is my DIY on fixing the motor if it has the gear broken: https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...repair-848488/