Vibration at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:45 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Thumbs down Vibration at high speeds

I need some advice guys, my car has been vibrating at high speeds on the highway (I have 07 AT).

The vibration started towards the end of winter. When i installed my summer tires the front right winter tire was almost totally worn out.
After installing the summer tires (also added spacers) the vibration was reduced slightly, but was still present.

Vibration comes from the steering wheel and at very high speeds everything vibrates/shakes.

So i went back to my garage and he re-tightened all my spacers, rebalanced and re-aligned my tires. Also found out the rear right calliper was ceased and replaced it.
Went back on the road and yet again, vibration is still there.

By reading around the forum, it looks like my only two other options would be warped roters or the axles.

I do feel a slight uneven pressure when breaking at slow speed, and when breaking at high speeds i do feel the steering turning left and right...

I called Acura and it will cost me around 2h @ 120$ to diagnose the problem... I would like to avoid that... which is why i'm here.

Can you guys guide me on what to do? Even if my roters might be warped, i do not believe this would cause so much vibration... what do you guys think?

Thanks for your help!
MM
Old 07-30-2015, 11:27 AM
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Depending on how bad the warping is, the vibrations could be pretty bad...also they would intensify a lot while braking from high speeds.

There could be other causes. In my case, it was the tire threading that was not even...i leaned this when I had the same problem as you and thought the tires were out of balance so I took them for balancing and the guy showed me the uneven threading although it was subtle and you could only see it at an angle.

In order to reduce those vibrations as much as possible, I simply rotated my tires. I can still feel slight vibrations and also those tires, which are now in the back, make a lot of noise while driving. I would suggest doing just that. Take your front tires, put them in back. If vibrations are reduced, you found your problem. If not, it could also be something lose in steering, like tie rods, end links, or something else. Jack the front up and wiggle the tires from side to side, it should not move at all, if it's lose, there might be some steering work coming up.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:44 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
The tire was probably worn out because of the vibration, not the other way around (the other way around meaning it was causing the vibration).

This is somewhat simple I think. If the vibration intensifies while braking, it's rotors, otherwise axles.

You say it happens at high speed. my suggestion is to get to a speed below when the vibrations start, and perform hard braking. If the rotors are warped, it should be very noticeable. In fact, warped rotors typically vibrate even under light braking.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if your vibrations are actually being caused by warped rotors, the rotors would have to be very badly warped and you should notice vibrations at lower speeds also.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:24 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Found the problem... it was the warped rotors!